Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Everquest lead designer Brad McQuaid died on 11/18/2019 at the age of 51. Everquest was a legendary game and I played it obsessively. When I play WoW I know I'm playing a video game. When I played Everquest I felt like I was immersed in another world even though it was much simpler on a technical level. There was no map, everything could kill you, it got dark and scary, there were no mounts in vanilla and it felt like everything was miles apart. Many lives were ruined by EQ addiction. I relentlessly mocked Brad McQuaid for "The Vision" and his obnoxious design decisions, but I have to concede that no other MMO had quite the same magic as McQuaid era Everquest. The only thing that felt remotely similar was Vanguard, which was also a McQuaid MMO(it shut down).

He didn't become fabulously wealthy the way Richard Garriot did and was most recently trying to get a new MMO kickstarted called Pantheon. The kickstarter failed and the project was only saved by an angel investor. Who knows if it will ever get released now. Use this thread to remember the good times you had playing Everquest or tell stories about the time McQuaid allegedly stole medication out of his employee's desk.

https://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-and-pantheon-developer-brad-mcquaid-has-died/

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

rip interrnet nerd

5er
Jun 1, 2000

EQ was exciting when it was the only thing around of its type. 'The Vision' was a rather strict and poorly adaptable development guideline, but what really did that game in was absolutely terrible customer service, particularly at the point where numerous other solid competitors were popping out with their own MMO's (DAoC, City of Heroes) and handling their support tickets with a bit more etiquette.

Pantheon won't see the light of day, because 'Vanguard' really let everyone know that the world was done with 'The Vision'.

Encyclopedia Dramatica has a fun collection of anecdotes about the character of this guy. Good luck with the memorial.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bum dum, dada dada daaa

I hadn't read any guides prior to playing the game and so didn't really "get" how make a character. Rolled up with a human druid and other than one guy that befriended me in game, could NOT get into any parties in later levels.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I was homeschooled and I played EQ instead of learning.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Everybody puts on the rose-tinted goggles for the MMO they played as a kid or whatever but in reality, they're all the loving same and poo poo like "not having a map" didn't make the experience better, it's just your nostalgia, hope this helps OP

oh and RIP video game guy I guess

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a friend who still plays EQ. He stopped when WoW Classic came out, but I'm sure he's logged right back into EQ at this very moment.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

MMOs in the late 90s and early 00s created a level of excitement in me that hasn't really been matched since. The world just seemed so big back then when I was a teenager and playing these games and befriending strangers who lived places I would never even visit. One day on my own deathbed I'll probably look back on being in college and playing waaaaay too much EQ as a top 5 memory. RIP Brad.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
rip lord everquest

Thought of players having fun and died

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess he didn't complete his quest. Gonna loot his corpse though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
/pizza

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was he related to the total recall guy?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Aradune is stinky.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I didn't play Everquest for long because it was too slow and I had no attention span as a kid, so I spent much more time playing Asheron's Call, a superior game where I could jump around everywhere. RIP Brad McQuaid though. Dude was supremely talented even if I didn't play his game that much.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The back room with dice sounds.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RIP to an industry shaper.

cnut
May 3, 2016

F

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

My memory of when EQ came out is the same as when WoW came out. It looks like poo poo and seems populated by unlikable neanderthals.
I have played neither and thus feel vastly superior to you and anyone else that played these MMO type of games.

Sorry for your loss, OP.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Run an orc train to the noob zone in his honor.

bag of a bee
Jun 17, 2007

WoW took EverQuest and made it accessible. And lots of people have cloned WoW. But nobody has started with a new Vision from scratch to shake things up. That's why MMOs are dead. Dead like Brad. RIP.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

5er posted:

Pantheon won't see the light of day, because 'Vanguard' really let everyone know that the world was done with 'The Vision'.

Having played EQ and Vanguard, I actually think Vanguard was going in the right direction of an at the time 'modern' hardcore mandatory grouping MMO.

The 'Vision' was fine - but the bugs, jankiness and lack of meaningful content was painful on top of a UI that was outdated an complete lack of a social system in a mandatory grouping MMO.

Finally, Brad spent the vast majority of the Vanguard dev cycle drugged out of his mind.

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
when I was a kid I got on the boat to freeport or whatever, went out and mowed the lawn, and came back before the boat got there

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

oblique posted:

when I was a kid I got on the boat to freeport or whatever, went out and mowed the lawn, and came back before the boat got there

My favorite part of the boat was getting disconnected, logging back in, and finding myself in the ocean with the boat nowhere in sight.

Then you'd run out of stamina and drown...and lose everything on your body unless you paid a necro to summon it for you....

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
call me when abashi dies

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
EQ gave me my first taste of the skinner box and taught me that the illusion of progression + loot slots wasnt enough to hold my interest if the underlying game was boring as gently caress

broke a bunch of my old friend's brains though and to this day some of them are hardcore mmorpg addicts, a few even still playing the original EQ

in conclusion i am ambivalent about this turn of events, thank you for reading

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
nd res
res plz
Edit: Another comment from someone funnier than I: "Somewhere in Indonesia, Brad McQuaid is naked and wondering how the hell he's going to get his body back."

My friends and I went to EverQuest Gathering 2 in St. Louis in, apparently, March 2000.

We spent hours looking through craft stores and gathering materials and constructing crude but effective (and, by the way, super hilarious by the standards of the day) signs to have our names floating above our heads. We made one for Brad McQuaid. We presented it to him with particular pride. He stared at it, put it down on the floor behind him, said absolutely nothing, and turned away.

Now, from a 2019 standpoint, that is also a hilarious response, to be fair. But you can imagine how our impression of Brad McQuaid went from "yay!" to "wow I no longer care if he lives or dies" at that moment.

Though I am always sad when anyone who is not part of the current presidential administration dies, so requiescat in pace bro

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 20, 2019

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
everquest was fun when i was a kid RIP everquest guy ):

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I lost a lovely job due to Everquest addiction and even years later i still get that urge to play. RIP Brad

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RIP Brad, I enjoyed your game, it was my first real introduction to MMOs and D&D style RPGs on computer machine.

I hope you died in Lower Guk so your body and equipment will never be recoverable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I was hooked on EQ1 but too young and dumb to accomplish anything, then got hooked on Vanguard till it was revealed the bugs and awful chugging were never going to actually be fixed. Even with all of those problems, it was still a lot of fun at the time. Despite his issues Brad McQuaid basically paved the way for WoW and it’s ilk.

RIP, and I guess RIP to Pantheon too. :smith:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I've never heard of this "every quest" could someone please explain it to me

edit: this could turn things around for Vanguard

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
for me it was more like Neverquest OP!!!! :grin:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chinatown posted:

for me it was more like Neverquest OP!!!! :grin:

It's funny because the game had like six quests worth doing for the first 15 years

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Time to slay the dragon!!!!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Brad McQuaalude

5er
Jun 1, 2000

sweet thursday posted:

Brad McQuaalude

Lead designer of OxyQuest

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip in peace

your games were always carebear shitfests but at least they could still be griefed

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

soy posted:

rip in peace

your games were always carebear shitfests but at least they could still be griefed

Whoa there, EQ had a PvP community and pvp servers and even a weird event where they did perma death pvp full loot server, it was an event but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I absolutely loved EQ and I don't give a poo poo if it's rose colored glasses. Such good memories.

One time I was walking in Freeport I think and I was alone walking down the back streets and someone started saying "Help me please!" I turned around and didn't see anyone. "Help! Please!" I looked down and there was just a pile of poo poo. Enchanters could turn into whatever they wanted. "Only a kiss will save me!" Ugh, I have to kiss a pile of poo poo. After pleading for a while I did. Poof! Turned back into the enchanter and he gave me some gold or something.

It was funny.