Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

n8r posted:

Grilled chicken Wendy's sandwich hold the Mayo and get one of their salads as the side option. That's relatively healthy.

Sandwich is heavily refined carbs, might as well just get a large salad and add chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress no it ain’t. Both fries and a baked potato are a whole loving potato. The oil is nowhere near as bad as the starch here.

Starch and carbohydrates aren't bad for you unless in excess, as is literally anything. It brakes down into glucose which your brain needs to function, which is probably why a lot of those people on no-carb diets are really loving stupid.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
really depends on what restriction you're on. Just give up if it's sodium. Maybe some steamed rice and low flavor chicken from Panda Express but basically everything else in fast food world is slid over a salt block before getting to you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Starch and carbohydrates aren't bad for you unless in excess, as is literally anything. It brakes down into glucose which your brain needs to function, which is probably why a lot of those people on no-carb diets are really loving stupid.

A whole potato is already in excess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also large, easy-to-digest sources of glucose make it easy for your insulin to spike, which causes obesity and diabetes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Nothing you get at a fast food place will be very healthy if only because of the preservatives. You can absolutely lose weight eating nothing but 100% Big Macs all day. You will die though. It's all about calories. A good diet will be balanced and have lots of things like vegetables and at least a small amount of fiber which is lacking from fast food places.

Some people are recommending chicken sandwiches but those aren't healthy at all. They have a ton of protein which is great but also a ton of saturated fat which is very much not great. The plain ol' spicy chicken sandwich at Wendy's has 30% of your daily saturated fat. Fat isn't bad but most saturated fat is. That's the stuff that clogs your arteries.

edit: compared to a boneless skinless chicken breast at home which is about 1.5g of saturated fat.

Qdoba and Chipotle aren't bad if you get the bowls. Subway is ok from a calorie standpoint but not for the preserved everything, besides the vegetables. I'm guessing what most people in here are thinking of is "low calorie." Taco Bell can do that just fine with the fresco stuff. You just have to do your research.

Every single time I go to a fast food place, I check out the nutrition facts at home and know exactly what I'm going to order when I go there.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 7, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pollyanna posted:

You can kiss my Irish rear end!

Pollyanna posted:

Also large, easy-to-digest sources of glucose make it easy for your insulin to spike, which causes obesity and diabetes.

Yeah that's why they say sweet potatoes are better because they are complex carbs instead of a regular potatoes' simple carbs. Just don't eat as much and you won't have a problem. Regular potatoes are perfectly healthy and everyone should eat them. Just not submerged in fat every day.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I will show you fear in a handful of crust

- G.B.S. Eliot's The Waistland.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

tetsuo posted:

really depends on what restriction you're on. Just give up if it's sodium. Maybe some steamed rice and low flavor chicken from Panda Express but basically everything else in fast food world is slid over a salt block before getting to you.

do they really have a menu item called low flavor chicken

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah the general guidelines I follow are:

- don’t eat anything heavily refined
— WHY: if it’s heavily refined it’s easier to spike your insulin and is low in fiber, which you need to eat a lot of to avoid atherosclerosis and high cholesterol
- eat liquid and not solid fats
— WHY: saturated fats keep their shape and are solid at room temperature, unsaturated fats do not and are liquids at room temperature
- sugar is never good
— WHY: spikes your insulin which badly fucks up your endocrine system and makes you fat

good carbs:
- beans and legumes like lentils and chickpeas
- ancient whole grains (hulled barley, farro, teff, etc)
- vegetables such as fibrous carrots and delicious peas
- whole fibrous fruits like apples and oranges

eat sparingly:
- potatoes (easy to overload)
- corn
- juicy fruits like grapes
- bananas
- tortillas and injera

bad carbs:
- bread, all
- pasta, all
- rice, all

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
healthy like ACTIVELY healthy, or just relatively low in calories? because DD wake-up wraps are pretty innocuous, unless you eat more than one

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

YeahTubaMike posted:

healthy like ACTIVELY healthy, or just relatively low in calories? because DD wake-up wraps are pretty innocuous, unless you eat more than one

lemme check

yeah they’re not very healthy, mostly protein and refined carbs via the tortilla. no fiber at all, enjoy being unable to poop properly if you eat those. also no veggies, which is sad. needs more green.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rice is bad for you and I get that it’s a staple but we need to eat way less of it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pollyanna posted:

— WHY: if it’s heavily refined it’s easier to spike your insulin and is low in fiber, which you need to eat a lot of to avoid atherosclerosis and high cholesterol
— WHY: saturated fats keep their shape and are solid at room temperature, unsaturated fats do not and are liquids at room temperature
- sugar is never good
— WHY: spikes your insulin which badly fucks up your endocrine system and makes you fat

good carbs:

eat sparingly:
- corn
- bananas
- tortillas and injera

bad carbs:
- bread, all
- pasta, all
- rice, all

So the answer to your original question is clearly "No" then. Close thread.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So the answer to your original question is clearly "No" then. Close thread.

oh it’s possible, it just has to be mostly vegetables

which no one would buy, so.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

indigi posted:

do they really have a menu item called low flavor chicken
Close, tbh - https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/entrees/sweet-fire-chicken-breast

It's not very flavorful. But it does come in under a 1:1 calorie:sodium(mg) ratio and is pretty filling all things considered. (edit: when paired with plain rice, which is good and we all should eat more of :devil: :devil: :devil: )

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 7, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pollyanna posted:

- sugar is never good

good carbs:

eat sparingly:
- corn
- bananas
- tortillas and injera

bad carbs:
- bread, all
- pasta, all
- rice, all

:hai:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pollyanna posted:

no fiber at all, enjoy being unable to poop properly if you eat those.

that's what the coffee's for

*head tap*

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
in what sense are bad carbs bad? since you put them in a category distinct from "eat sparingly", are you saying any amount is bad?

I always thought rice was pretty healthy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
especially brown rice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

brown rice is a complex carb and therefore good iirc. white rice is simple

sports
Sep 1, 2012

indigi posted:

brown rice is a complex carb and therefore good iirc. white rice is simple

Brown rice is just unbleached white rice.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well then,

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
https://musclemakergrill.com/

it's not everywhere but this is literally the OP. fast food that is healthy.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
anything is possible, OP

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sports posted:

Brown rice is just unbleached white rice.

i hate your av

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rinkles posted:

in what sense are bad carbs bad? since you put them in a category distinct from "eat sparingly", are you saying any amount is bad?

I always thought rice was pretty healthy.

it's all about how quickly the carbohydrates get absorbed by the body, because low and slow prevents insulin spikes, which is what causes diabetes.

sugar is easily and quickly digested by the body, but when you eat whole fruits like apples and oranges you're also eating a lot of fiber to go along with that sweet fruit juice, so the juice has to compete with the fiber of the fruit as it's getting digested. same reason that vegetables like carrots have a significant carbohydrate component, yet no one can get a rush from them - that's a lot of chewing, digestion, and water. the end result is that you take a lot longer to digest 5g worth of carbohydrates from a carrot than it takes you to digest 5g worth of carbohydrates from table sugar.

on the other hand, pasta and rice are very compact and energy dense, have no fiber, and are therefore easily digested. not quite to the degree of sugar - that's why sugar is the loving devil - but it's not a coincidence that you get real sleepy after eating a bunch of rice or pasta. that's a sign that you've spiked your insulin. plus, if it's low on fiber, then you're gonna eat a lot more of it at once to feel full, causing you to overload on your calories for the day.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Is sushi healthy? it feels like it should be.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

cynic posted:

Is sushi healthy? it feels like it should be.

Individual bites and sashimi are probably healthy but the huge elaborate rolls with mayo and tempura seem pretty heavy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
mayo on sushi :yikes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sashimi is the best thing about going to a sushi place anyways

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

A whole potato is 160 calories

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

No one was recommending the spicy chicken sandwich they said grilled no mayo.

Pollyanna posted:

it's all about how quickly the carbohydrates get absorbed by the body, because low and slow prevents insulin spikes, which is what causes diabetes.
Diabetes isn't caused by "insulin spikes" it's caused by insulin resistance generally from being old and overweight and genetic predisposition.

There's nothing wrong with any carbohydrate. Potatoes are a vitamin rich low calorie filling food, white potatoes are actually considered a higher fiber food. They have more than sweet potatoes in fact.

Sugar isn't evil.

There is no "bad food" just bad habits. Demonizing and glorifying foods is part of why diets fail on a psychological level.

Oh and protein "spikes" insulin too better stop eating meat and beans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Help I don't know what is healthy too many people disagree even my doctor says things that the nutrition class I took in college disagree with.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

dudeness posted:

You're looking for Taco Bell, beans are fiber, the oats that replace the meat are fiber, the Baja Blast provides motility.

Baja Blast balances the humors and lubricates the joints as well. Very healthy.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Guyver posted:

No one was recommending the spicy chicken sandwich they said grilled no mayo.

Diabetes isn't caused by "insulin spikes" it's caused by insulin resistance generally from being old and overweight and genetic predisposition.

There's nothing wrong with any carbohydrate. Potatoes are a vitamin rich low calorie filling food, white potatoes are actually considered a higher fiber food. They have more than sweet potatoes in fact.

Sugar isn't evil.

There is no "bad food" just bad habits. Demonizing and glorifying foods is part of why diets fail on a psychological level.

Sugar is in fact evil. This isn't some hot take.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Accretionist posted:

Baja Blast balances the humors and lubricates the joints as well. Very healthy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Guyver posted:

Insulin spikes lead to insulin resistance ya dip.

quote:

Carbohydrates themselves are not bad. Their abundance, ease of access, delivery mechanisms, and often heavily-processed nature are. Humans are not meant to have so many carbohydrates in such a short amount of time, especially without the fiber to match.

quote:

Sugar isn't evil.

The way we use it is.

quote:

I’ll give you that one.

quote:

If they do spike, it’s nowhere near to the extent that sugar and simple carbs do, because of the fiber content. And when was the last time you ate an entire bag of jerky in one sitting?

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
There's a newish chain in the Massachusettes area called Clover that's doing vegan sandwiches, falafel & soups. There's no drive thru but getting a sandwich to take out is pretty quick. The sandwiches kick rear end and are in-house pita bread with pickled veggies & spices with grilled portabella/mozerella instead of meat. It,feels kinda like Hindu fast food tbh and it's very good & filling.

The catch is the menu is always changing every season and the menus don't get a description other than the name. It's also run by pretentious techies. if you want to know what the Pushnir sandwich is, u gotta ask the cashier, who will pull out a tablet, struggle with it for a minute, then link the tablet to a menu screen placed behind you so you gotta turn back around and face everyone in line behind you while they describe the sandwich. Like this place cracked the code on healthy fast food but hasn't heard of a chalkboard.

Also 2/3 of the soups suck, but nobody gets soup at a fast food place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

in the UK we have LEON which is marketed around being healthy fast food. They're supposed to be expanding into the US soon maybe?

Food here.