Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
not really fast food but i could really go for some good bbq tri tip and im to garbage at cooking to make my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Monicals Pizza is a chain mostly in Illinois. Very thin crust crispy pizza, rectangular cut. I always get it when I visit my parents, but I might not get it at all this year :(. It tastes different than when I was a kid - I think they're going for a softer bake, and their sauce has changed - less acidic, more sweet now. Still close enough to satisfy though.

I also found out the local burger joint in my college town has closed - Fat Patties (or Fart Parties as my wife an I called it). Excellent fuckin' burgers and shoestring fries. I fuckin shame.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Growing up in Seattle, the only local chain I can really think of missing is Ivar's. I can taste that breaded Alaskan cod right now, but it's been close to 12 years since the last time I was out there :(

BLARGHLE posted:

For a more regular thing, my in-laws live in the Cincinnati area. Some of the food out there is just the loving worst- see the Skyline thread for general opinions about the local chili- but they have a few interesting things that we don't have in the DC area. La Rosa's is fairly mediocre as far as pizza joints go (I'm a NY style guy), but their pasta sauce is great. Of all the various canned/jarred sauces, theirs is the one I feel least compelled to gently caress around with when cooking at home (assuming I don't just make my own, which I don't half the time, because I'm loving lazy), and is pretty much fine on its own. I feel like I'm sounding really loving snobbish right now, so uh....

White Castle is the other big thing that Cincinnati has that DC doesn't, and that's uh...okay. Basically every time we go out there, I end up eating entirely too much White Castle for entirely too many meals, but I surprisingly haven't had to poo poo myself inside out yet, so that's something.

All the locals I talk to hate La Rosa's, I'm indifferent at best.

You didn't mention Frisch's Big Boy. It's also not great food, but it's super cheap. The weird thing is, it really is fast food, but if you dine in, they treat it like it's a sit-down restaurant. Every time I've sat down, I'm leaving a good 60% or better tip but still feeling guilty because, but it was a $6 hamburger, and they don't serve alcohol, what do you expect?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Gotta love the Pittsburgh dad. I'm not driving hours for Rax's, but apparently there is a Rally's in Pittsburgh. I think I'm going to make a trip. I haven't had it in years and I just checked out the menu and it looks pretty good.

I keep telling myself I'm going to take a road trip to the nearest Rax, because I remember it as a kid and I used to get those plastic Uncle Alligator Waterbottles. I lived in Seattle then, and Rax just disappeared from like 90% of the US overnight in like 1991.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Primanti's

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

alnilam posted:

Primanti's

Not quite fast food, but it's good. They're Pittsburgh based but they are slowly expanding. The capicola and cheese is so fuckin good.

----------------

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have to say the expansion primanti's (like the ones in the burbs) just don't do it for me, the food might be the same but they feel like a TGI Fridays instead of a greasy diner. The food even comes out on a plate like what the hell is that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

alnilam posted:

I have to say the expansion primanti's (like the ones in the burbs) just don't do it for me, the food might be the same but they feel like a TGI Fridays instead of a greasy diner. The food even comes out on a plate like what the hell is that

I live south of Pittsburgh and the Primanti's here doesn't use plates for most of the items. Last year I ate at the original in the diner section and it was pretty cool.

----------------

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That's good to hear. I went to one in cranberry once and it was just not right at all.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Rick posted:

It's Chicago grandpa fast food, but, it tastes really good. By that I mean it a drive in with a weird system, and you can get things like chili dogs, spaghetti and ribs and if you go inside you order different things from different windows, and the employees wear old timey uniforms. Most big cities have an old chili dog/roast beef spot that is similar, and might in fact be a little better, but Portillios is close, even though it's a chain, and manages to feel like a neighborhood place that's always been despite having like 30 locations.

I was going to disagree with you that every city has something like that, but DC has Ben's Chili Bowl, which is kinda like that, but also a total tourist trap. I'm not knocking the half smoke by any means, but Ben's is like the last place I would get one- just go to most any local grocery store and get some to grill up for yourself.

Iron Crowned posted:

Growing up in Seattle, the only local chain I can really think of missing is Ivar's. I can taste that breaded Alaskan cod right now, but it's been close to 12 years since the last time I was out there :(

All the locals I talk to hate La Rosa's, I'm indifferent at best.

You didn't mention Frisch's Big Boy. It's also not great food, but it's super cheap. The weird thing is, it really is fast food, but if you dine in, they treat it like it's a sit-down restaurant. Every time I've sat down, I'm leaving a good 60% or better tip but still feeling guilty because, but it was a $6 hamburger, and they don't serve alcohol, what do you expect?

As far as I can tell, Frisch's Big Boy is just Bob's Big Boy, but in Cincinnati. In my experience, if you've had one, you've had the other; although there aren't a lot of Bob's out there anymore, so maybe most people haven't had either?

As for the actual La Rosa's - anything I've had there has been mediocre at best, but their jars of sauce are somehow really good. I don't know what the disconnect is between the two, but I'd much rather buy their sauce at the kroger than go in and sit down for some lovely pizza.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Waffle House.

Don't understand the hate, its not gourmet but always had a good experience... Will never understand how they can infuse so much cheese into their scrambled eggs.
Pecan waffle - well done, eggs-n-cheese, "buttered" toast, hash browns smothered covered topped and chunked with a tanker of sweet tea every time.

Culver's was terrific

Tijuana Flats in Tampa Bay

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hesburger. It's like McDonald's, but not absolutely drenched in oil.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dirty Beluga posted:

Waffle House.

Don't understand the hate, its not gourmet but always had a good experience... Will never understand how they can infuse so much cheese into their scrambled eggs.
Pecan waffle - well done, eggs-n-cheese, "buttered" toast, hash browns smothered covered topped and chunked with a tanker of sweet tea every time.

Culver's was terrific

Now I want Waffle House. I once watched a waitress stab a dude in the arm with a fork when he called her a spic. The dude just got flustered and left. Yes it was 3am on a weekday why do you ask?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dirty Beluga posted:

Waffle House.

Culver's was terrific

Waffle House owns. I can still go to Waffle House, but I definitely miss having one that was not only within walking distance of my apartment, but that it was the midpoint between my apartment and bar.

Get sloshed, walk to Waffle House, eat a pile of hasbrowns at 2am, and then finish walking home.

----------------

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I just want a Krystal that isn't 4 hours away goddammit

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Waffle House is great. We sometimes play a game when we travel called “let’s not get knife murdered at the Waffle House” when we eat there late at night. In a strange town.

I miss Tantos Tacos in Cleveland. They bake their burritos in sizes regular or El Biggo. Also Swenson’s Cheeseburg and a phoss.

We used to live in the Chicago Burbs and because of that I miss J J Fish & Chicken as well as the Cedar Grill and Mr. Submarine. Holy effffffff could I go for anything on the Mr. Submarine menu rn. They do a grilled chicken salad that is the best salad I’ve ever had in my life, forget that it’s fast food. And the sandos. And the sides.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

WaWa's Pepperoni Bagel is insanely bad for you but a goodness that I miss so drat much on the west coast.

....lol you have this function on?

Waste of space.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I live in Des Moines now but the only Happy Joe's I know about closed like a decade ago. I remember it had sour cream on it as a kid, and no chips, but maybe my mom just orded it different.

Casey's has a pizza similar to the one in the posted picture, it's refried beans and salsa for the base, beef and mozz, then lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar and doritos style chips. Also served with little Taco Bell style sauce packets. The beef is wierd though, very salty and greasy. If you ever order one, I highly recommend subbing it for the grilled chicken, which is actually legit good.

Northern Lights Pizza is also I'm pretty sure local and really good.

I lived in NC for like, 3 months in 2009. I really liked Wing Zone. It's not around here that I know, but I'm also not sure how widespread it is. The garlic parmesan was really good, when I order that flavor around here it's more like a dry rub, thiers was an actual sauce.

Checker's was also good, I think. I remember really liking the fries.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Something I miss from when I grew up in Michigan is Halo Burger.

https://haloburger.com/menu/

I absolutely despise Olives in any other context, but their Olive Burger is incredible.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Naan and Beyond is a small chain of Indian fast food in the DMV area that features tandoori meat sandwiches wrapped in Naan and Indian spiced potato chips.

I miss it so goddamn much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

As far as I can tell, Frisch's Big Boy is just Bob's Big Boy, but in Cincinnati. In my experience, if you've had one, you've had the other; although there aren't a lot of Bob's out there anymore, so maybe most people haven't had either?

As for the actual La Rosa's - anything I've had there has been mediocre at best, but their jars of sauce are somehow really good. I don't know what the disconnect is between the two, but I'd much rather buy their sauce at the kroger than go in and sit down for some lovely pizza.

Frisch's has tartar sauce on the Big Boy which I found out was different from Detroit's Big Boy which had thousand island instead. Maybe it's my regional bias but the tartar sauce is what makes the Big Boy worth eating.

Speaking of Detroit, their "slider" diners are great. Comet Burger is something I'm willing to drive four hours to have and there's nothing like that where I am.

La Rosa's I thought I should comment is also notable for the provolone subbing for mozzarella. I'm not calling it the best pizza ever but combined with its distinct sauce I can understand it hitting a spot that other pizzas don't.

My other regional wish is Whataburger. Spent a couple days in Texas and wish I'd tried this a few days earlier into the journey because holy poo poo, it's amazing.

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
I grew up in Washington, and there's a burger place in Bothell called the Ranch Drive-In that is probably my favorite fast food burger ever. I immediately go any time I'm back visiting family.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BLARGHLE posted:

As far as I can tell, Frisch's Big Boy is just Bob's Big Boy, but in Cincinnati.

This is actually a bit more complex than that. Bob's Big Boy is part of Big Boy proper, but Frisch's is actually a separate company with its own, permanent license to use the Big Boy branding.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cheese dip at Midwest Mexican restaurants

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Hoagieville in Missoula MT.

Last time I went to the in-laws for christmas there were only three left.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deep fried Ipswich clams

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Back in 2012 - 2013, I lived in Baltimore (otherwise I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, currently in Wisconsin). There are times, like tonight, that I would straight up murder someone for some Royal Farms chicken. There was a RoFo around the corner from my house and I loved stopping there on my way home from work when I just flat-out didn't feel like cooking. Something like six bucks for a bunch of chicken and a side? Yes please.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I spent 3 months in ABQ a few years ago, and drat do I miss me some Golden Pride fried chicken and BBQ ribs. That stuff hit the spot every time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

spookykid posted:

I spent 3 months in ABQ a few years ago, and drat do I miss me some Golden Pride fried chicken and BBQ ribs. That stuff hit the spot every time.

Oh man i lived in ABQ for a month and i would eat Frontier every day of my life if i could, dunno if it qualifies as fast food but the ordering and the trays and booths have the feel to it for sure

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah Frontier was like Golden Pride's "you're less likely to get shanked here" sitdown sister restaurant. Also very good.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I miss snowcones. They just aren't a thing in Sweden and drat I want some good snowcones in the summer

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Xun posted:

I miss snowcones. They just aren't a thing in Sweden and drat I want some good snowcones in the summer

You can get a snow cone machine and the syrup pretty easily.

----------------

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Finding enough space in a packed tiny apartment for a snowcone machine is much more difficult :v:

Even an ice tray takes up a significant fraction of our freezer :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xun posted:

Finding enough space in a packed tiny apartment for a snowcone machine is much more difficult :v:

Even an ice tray takes up a significant fraction of our freezer :(

My current apartment surprised me and I have an ice maker, which takes up a hell of a lot more room than some ice trays. ON the other hand having an unlimited amount of ice is really, really nice.

----------------

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I went to Church's recently for the first time and it wasn't good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

I went to Church's recently for the first time and it wasn't good.

did you get the dozen-family special? i don't think it's great until you hit the 96-person mark on a single order. the way they make that last tray of biscuits, my gosh

----------------

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's New York System Hot Wieners which are actually from Rhode Island.

It's the chili dog's infinitely better brother.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thinkin about a cup of raisin canes sauce to dip my chicken fingers in and slap on some garlic bread.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Nostalgia for them Ohio foods. Tony Packo's hungarian hot-dogs, almost immediate heartburn from the face punch of spicy chili sauce and natural casing spicy dog.

Frisch's NW-Ohio edition with them tartar sauce Big Boys.

Nick's cafe, Toledo, for the $17 omelette, can't remember what all is in that thing but it was brought to the table on a platter and the leftovers fed me and the SO for the rest of the day.

Ohio-ish Coleman's fish market in Wheeling WV for them fish sandwiches, just some fried fish and two slices of white bread, walk those over to the closest dive bar and wash them down with some generic American lager.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
north shore roast beefs. extremely localized to north shore massachusetts and there's just nothin' like em. there's a beef shop on every corner around here but you go like two hours south to connecticut and try to get a roast beef and they hand you this arby's lookin loving thing and it's not even half as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Only upside of living in NE Tennessee is this local chain that is basically slightly higher quality whataburger. They also have the OG mt dew called Dr. Enuf that is impossible to find elsewhere and delicious.

----------------