Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
This subforum has made me realize that I have a lot of very strong opinions about fast food, and I'm not sure how to feel about that. Quite frankly, one of my favorite things about traveling is eating the local flavor, and I have always felt like a region's fast food is more telling than whatever trendy gourmet thing gets picked up by the food network or whatever. I traveled to every corner of the country when I was younger, and most of the parts in between, but I'm sure I didn't see (or eat) everything.

So, what's something that you absolutely love that you can't get within a reasonable distance from home?

For me, Zaxby's used to be a big one, but they've built one like 30 minutes from me, so I could have it if I really wanted it. Raising Cain's is strictly inferior, and also about an hour further away, so eh, whatever.

I had Taco Johns in both Texas and North Dakota, and I feel like I had extremely different experiences each time, probably partly due to the fact that I was sneaking tacos in basic training when I had it in Texas, and everything that wasn't chowhall food was like nectar from the gods. When I had it in North Dakota several years later, I was just confused as to why a taco joint was trying to sell me tater tots.

For a more regular thing, my in-laws live in the Cincinnati area. Some of the food out there is just the loving worst- see the Skyline thread for general opinions about the local chili- but they have a few interesting things that we don't have in the DC area. La Rosa's is fairly mediocre as far as pizza joints go (I'm a NY style guy), but their pasta sauce is great. Of all the various canned/jarred sauces, theirs is the one I feel least compelled to gently caress around with when cooking at home (assuming I don't just make my own, which I don't half the time, because I'm loving lazy), and is pretty much fine on its own. I feel like I'm sounding really loving snobbish right now, so uh....

White Castle is the other big thing that Cincinnati has that DC doesn't, and that's uh...okay. Basically every time we go out there, I end up eating entirely too much White Castle for entirely too many meals, but I surprisingly haven't had to poo poo myself inside out yet, so that's something.

So yeah! Let's hear your favorite out of town fast foods!

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Oh gently caress, I forgot Don's Specialty Meats in Lafayette LA area. Best boudin I've ever had, just a shame it costs so much to ship

If you're ever in Scott or Carencro, go to loving Don's, and then find yourself the nearest New Orleans Original Daiquiris to get entirely too much frozen mixed drink

I'm really wishing I could remember the name of the little place I had the absolute best crawfish etouffee over catfish imaginable, but that was like 8 years ago. My previous assumption had been that catfish was loving garbage, thanks to the efforts of every single restaurant in Montgomery AL, but Lafayette really showed me that the south had like one loving thing to offer, and it was this specific food culture. Also daiquiris from slurpee machines

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 18, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I wish I had Waffle House here, I love them and I've only been a few times on trips.

I ate at a Dave's Cosmic Subs in Cleveland and they were pretty good, I'd like to eat that Italian sub again someday.

I lived in Des Moines for a summer in college and I ate a lot of Happy Joe's taco pizza. Such a good silly pizza

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I wish I had Waffle House here, I love them and I've only been a few times on trips.

I ate at a Dave's Cosmic Subs in Cleveland and they were pretty good, I'd like to eat that Italian sub again someday.

I lived in Des Moines for a summer in college and I ate a lot of Happy Joe's taco pizza. Such a good silly pizza

As a resident of The South, I promise you Waffle House is not as good as you remember it. Anything you can get there can be had better somewhere else, except maybe some of the more esoteric hashbrown orders...Okay, so they do one thing well, and it's not loving waffles. Two things, if you count absurd brawls

I would like to hear more about this taco pizza

I don't think I've ever had a "bad" italian sub, but I have only had a very select few that I would consider worth mentioning, and every single one of them was in New Jersey. NJ doesn't have much, but holy sweet god drat can they make a loving sub. The bread, the meats, the cheeses, the oil and vinegar, lettuce, tomato, peppers, the marriage of it all, and if you're getting it from the corner store, the loving price. I was pissed the first time somebody wanted to charge me like $15 for a loving sub, but then they gave me the bag, and it was actually two loving 10" subs, literally an entire day's worth of food, breakfast/lunch/dinner right there in that bag for half of my per diem. Perfection. Heaven. That and the Rutgers field hockey player are the only things I miss about NJ, but the entire state seemed to have this weird culture of immaturity to it. All anybody wanted to do was party, and that oddly made me feel really old as like the only 25 year old responsible adult in the state.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BLARGHLE posted:

As a resident of The South, I promise you Waffle House is not as good as you remember it. Anything you can get there can be had better somewhere else, except maybe some of the more esoteric hashbrown orders...Okay, so they do one thing well, and it's not loving waffles. Two things, if you count absurd brawls

I would like to hear more about this taco pizza

I don't think I've ever had a "bad" italian sub, but I have only had a very select few that I would consider worth mentioning, and every single one of them was in New Jersey. NJ doesn't have much, but holy sweet god drat can they make a loving sub. The bread, the meats, the cheeses, the oil and vinegar, lettuce, tomato, peppers, the marriage of it all, and if you're getting it from the corner store, the loving price. I was pissed the first time somebody wanted to charge me like $15 for a loving sub, but then they gave me the bag, and it was actually two loving 10" subs, literally an entire day's worth of food, breakfast/lunch/dinner right there in that bag for half of my per diem. Perfection. Heaven. That and the Rutgers field hockey player are the only things I miss about NJ, but the entire state seemed to have this weird culture of immaturity to it. All anybody wanted to do was party, and that oddly made me feel really old as like the only 25 year old responsible adult in the state.

I only had Waffle House for the first time like 3 years ago lol I love the pecan waffle, but I really love the whole package. it's a place for everyone, all the time. can I make better breakfast food myself? yes (minus the waffle), but that's not really the point.

I would very much like to go to NJ and eat through their subs.

This is a taco pizza from Happy Joe's

It's topped with refried beans, sausage, taco ground beef, and cheese. and then once it's out of the oven, it gets lettuce, tomatoes and crushed doritos lol comes with packets of taco sauce like taco bell's

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I only had Waffle House for the first time like 3 years ago lol I love the pecan waffle, but I really love the whole package. it's a place for everyone, all the time. can I make better breakfast food myself? yes (minus the waffle), but that's not really the point.

I would very much like to go to NJ and eat through their subs.

This is a taco pizza from Happy Joe's

It's topped with refried beans, sausage, taco ground beef, and cheese. and then once it's out of the oven, it gets lettuce, tomatoes and crushed doritos lol comes with packets of taco sauce like taco bell's

I suppose that is not an inaccurate assessment of Waffle House, literally anybody can eat there at any time, for better or for worse. It's just...so bad... The last two times I ate at one, which was admittedly about 10 years ago, I did a bunch of vomiting in my hotel room after one trip, and had to send my biscuits back as inedible the second trip. Inedible biscuits! I don't know what they did wrong, but somebody royally hosed something up, and I haven't been back to one since. None of my previous experiences make me think I'm missing out.

I am curious to try this pizza, but I don't expect to ever be in Des Moines if I can avoid it...

I can't personally recommend anyone ever visit Trenton NJ on purpose, but if you happen to be there, walk a couple of blocks in any direction to either find the best italian sub of your life, or a drug dealer who can hopefully direct you to the best italian sub of your life. Either way, you'll have a good time, or maybe die, whatever

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 20, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

In-n-Out. I wish they would spread their empire further along the pacific coast.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

All I want is some bojangels with cheer wine. The closest one is like 4 hours away and my wife had considered day tripping it.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Crisp and Juicy from the DMV area. I can't recreate that Aji de Recoto sauce

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Portillo's

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am in Phoenix often enough that this sort of doesn't count but I wish Portillos, Fatburgers and Rally's were in Tucson, too.

From California upbringing, I think Juan Pollo is the best fast food Mexican BBQ chicken place and I miss them, although there a couple places decent enough here that it's not totally absent from my life. Roscoes would be nice, too. To stretch the definition,I don't think Wenchels donuts are actually that good but I do have a lot of nostalgia for them and would like them in Arizona.

Beyond that though I am lucky enough to have just about everything here. I do really want to try Cook Out though.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It’s been a god send since Indy finally got one. We have a Lou Malnati’s coming soon also.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i do not regard it highly, but i wish there was a jack in the box around here so i could ruin myself with their hubristic mistakes.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Whataburger being the best 24/7 fast food restaurant. Only they can whip me up a Patty Melt combo at 4 in the morning. All I have now is the far inferior Jack-in-the-Box.

Timmy Chan's is the ultimate cheap and unhealthy Chinese food. It's half the price of Panda Express or your Chinese takeouts at the mall, the portions are massive, and they saturate everything with oil.

Shipley's Donuts still makes my favorite kind of donut. A warm plain glazed donut is my comfort food. My alternative now is Krispy Kreme only if the fresh from the oven sign is on.

Frenchy's is also superior to Popeye's for fried chicken.

God I miss Houston, I forgot how spoiled I was down south for cheap good eats.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
i miss the city and having access to Poke Bowls. Also Tocabe when I stayed in Denver, native american fast food ftw.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Cheap takeout curry/kebab shops like they have in Europe.

I used to miss Dunkin' Donuts but they expanded into California so it's happy days.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yep. There is one in California, but it's in goddamn Orange County. The first time I went to the Chicago area I just happened to book a lovely motel that was right next to a Portillo's and it was awesome.

Tommy's chili cheeseburgers in Southern California are mighty dope, but the poop comes fast after horking down one of those monsters.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I miss the kind of diners you mostly only find in eastern PA, NJ, and the greater NYC area. My hometown had one intersection with 3 separate independent 24hr diners on 3 of the 4 corners, and more at other spots, and it was a small town! Ever since I left eastern PA I have missed these.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I would kill a man for a Cook Out. My God I could go for a tray right now. Spicy chicken sandwich and two honey mustard wraps, plain tea plz

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cheap takeout curry/kebab shops like they have in Europe.

I used to miss Dunkin' Donuts but they expanded into California so it's happy days.

I would like a Coco Ichibanya closer than Irvine. Also for it to be a cheap homey experience like Japan instead of an extremely crowded expensive cool teen spot that I don't feel cool enough to be in like the one in Irvine. It's still loving good though either place.

Oh and a Yoshinoya would be cool too. They used be here and I didn't appreciate them . . . until they were gone . . . There is a knockoff "Yokahama RIce Bowl" that is honestly not bad although as far away as possible without leaving the city.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

I used to wish there was a popeyes near me. My wish came true a while ago so now i can't complain about it any more.

Not sure if this is "regional", but Chinese KFC is something I wish I can get in America. But obviously, no.

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 24, 2020

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I want some loving Aloha Hawaiian BBQ chicken katsu and Mac like I’ve had in Irvine and Vegas. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkk

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

It’s an Iowa chain and not exactly fast food, but I’ll kill for Happy Joes taco pizza to this day. (The pepperoni is p good too)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06ZpclNi50

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

alnilam posted:

I miss the kind of diners you mostly only find in eastern PA, NJ, and the greater NYC area. My hometown had one intersection with 3 separate independent 24hr diners on 3 of the 4 corners, and more at other spots, and it was a small town! Ever since I left eastern PA I have missed these.

I never lived in NE PA, but I worked for a company based in Hazleton as I was doing much of my traveling around the country, and yeah, they can make some food.

Seems like Portillos is a pretty popular choice? What's their deal?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gotta love the Pittsburgh dad. I'm not driving hours for Rax's, but apparently there is a Rally's in Pittsburgh. I think I'm going to make a trip. I haven't had it in years and I just checked out the menu and it looks pretty good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The happiest day of my life was when a Pollo Campero opened up in my neighborhood.

I love Smoothie King and wish they'd move further north.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BLARGHLE posted:

Seems like Portillos is a pretty popular choice? What's their deal?

It's Chicago grandpa fast food, but, it tastes really good. By that I mean it a drive in with a weird system, and you can get things like chili dogs, spaghetti and ribs and if you go inside you order different things from different windows, and the employees wear old timey uniforms. Most big cities have an old chili dog/roast beef spot that is similar, and might in fact be a little better, but Portillios is close, even though it's a chain, and manages to feel like a neighborhood place that's always been despite having like 30 locations.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

portillo's puts a slice of chocolate cake in a shake and that's a-ok in my book

the lemon cake is better than the chocolate, though

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I don't live near Auburn, CA anymore, so I can't get Jimboy's Tacos or Safeway's general tso's chicken or their loaded baked potato soup or Old Town Pizza's Motherlode anymore.

Jimboy's Tacos has this thing where they fry the tortilla fresh and sprinkle parmesan cheese on it and it is loving amazing. So crumbly salty and savory! Also they have a good salsa bar. Safeway had really, really good general tso's chicken and sweet and sour chicken that I ate all the time for lunch. I miss the hell out of it. The loaded baked potato soup was really good. I would eat it with a loaf of Italian bread and it was fantastic.

As for the Motherlode? It was pepperoni, sausage, linguica, salami, mushroom, yellow onion, and black olives. And it loving ruled. I have tried to replicate it but very few pizza places carry linguica, much less salami. My most recent try had pepperoni, sausage, salami, mushroom, onion. I added black olives and pepperoncinis and it was pretty drat good but not the same.

I used to live in St. John's, NF and you better loving believe I miss the fried potatoes with dressing and gravy. That poo poo was amazing and I still have no loving idea why America has not embraced the idea of french fries + gravy. It is so, so good. The little store next to my house used to have turkey and dressing sandwiches and they were good as hell. There's no reason I can't eat a sandwich with turkey, dressing and mayo year round. Fish and chips with dressing and gravy was a goddamn revelation.

More foods should have dressing and gravy on them, is what I'm saying. Also jazz your tortillas with shaky parm. It's awesome. Also random British snacks like Jammy Dodgers or wine gums and all the Cadbury chocolate.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What flavour of salad dressing is “dressing” or is it something else entirely like salt beef runoff that is called dressing due to some incident with a shirt made of blueberry duff bags 200 years ago?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s what Americans call stuffing, I think.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It’s three and a half hours to the Lees Famous Recipe, two hours to Krystal, and almost 4 hours to Bojangles. Meanwhile it’s 5 minutes to dirty-rear end Popeyes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Torquemada posted:

It's what Americans call stuffing that wasn't literally stuffed in the cavity of a bird. Like cooked separately in a casserole or pot or something.

Otherwise Americans just call it stuffing, too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ah huh. I never understood stuffing it in the bird, herbs and half an onion go in there, maybe half a lemon. Everyone likes a ton of stuffing, so it gets made in a huge dish; less chance of salmonella as a bonus.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

sean10mm posted:

It's what Americans call stuffing that wasn't literally stuffed in the cavity of a bird. Like cooked separately in a casserole or pot or something.

Otherwise Americans just call it stuffing, too.

to make matters more confusing, there's lots of Americans that call it stuffing even when it's not stuffed in anything!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Torquemada posted:

So you can never have all dressed chips? Who would buy All Stuffed? Nobody

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
All-stuffed chips: the only chips with a stuffed crust

sounds good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thinking about sushi burrito in Vegas and getting kind of angry.