Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
ask YOUR MOM OP
*nerd voice* well op theres a shortage of materials that are needed plus increased demand due to covi
gently caress u OP
It stands for Go Phuck Urself
Goku Bittcoin Miner.
View Results

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's how the forum was saved OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

thank you for the checkbox poll OP you're a good 'un

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I have a 3070 and a 34 inch 1440 monitor and it's pretty rad. Race car games run super well and it looks great.

I was lucky to get my system and got a good deal on it without the guy price gouging.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

my dog died im sad posted:

I can't stop laughing when I'm reminded of this.

Wait what? What happened?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

yikes! posted:

thank you for the checkbox poll OP you're a good 'un

u got it bud :hai:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

metachronos posted:

Wait what? What happened?

Jeffrey is Satoshi Nakamoto, but keep this quiet please.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
There have always been buttcoins tho

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

The other day I found out about 3060 (the day it came out) so a little later I went to the store and purchased one

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

The other day I found out about 3060 (the day it came out) so a little later I went to the store and purchased one

:mad:

Woden
May 6, 2006
No idea if the crypto mining thing is real, but there's a good reason to use cards instead of ASICs and that's because you can sell them above market rates down the line. ASICs only do one thing well so to make a profit you have to cover the entire cost of the device instead of some fraction of it.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I've built probably 10-12 dozen of these machines in my day so I can field any of your questions. If you're looking for blue prints, I've never drawn any. I know some of the new-jack enthusiests like to plan everything out before hand, but if you ask an old timer like myself you need to just start building. If you have an old juke box that would be a good place to start.

And also try not to turn this thread into an old school vs. new school machine building style argument like all the other threads.

edit: Here's a picture of one of my most recent rigs. She runs at about 8 GPU (goons per unit), which is pretty good considering it's built from an old drill press and a transistor radio.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

VinylonUnderground posted:

I've built probably 10-12 dozen of these machines in my day so I can field any of your questions. If you're looking for blue prints, I've never drawn any. I know some of the new-jack enthusiests like to plan everything out before hand, but if you ask an old timer like myself you need to just start building. If you have an old juke box that would be a good place to start.

And also try not to turn this thread into an old school vs. new school machine building style argument like all the other threads.

edit: Here's a picture of one of my most recent rigs. She runs at about 8 GPU (goons per unit), which is pretty good considering it's built from an old drill press and a transistor radio.

It's not that I forgot to laugh more rather that it is not funny.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I have a sort of related question...

Why is every single motherboard manufacturer based in Taiwan?

Does like only Taiwan know how to make motherboards?

We have diplomatic relations with China, which means China wants us to have nothing to do with Taiwan, because China considers Taiwan to be part of communist China, while Taiwan has declared themselves to be the real democratic non-communist China. China is always threatening them flying military planes over them and poo poo.

So if China finally takes back Taiwan by force like they're currently doing in Hong Kong, does that mean no more new motherboards and therefore new computers for the rest of the world?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Gamers are going to rise up and destroy cryptocurrency once and for all probably.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What are they hard to get? I got two 3080s. I've been playing Underlords with one of them.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Xaris posted:

big navi is a joke and even more of a paper launch than the 3000s. it's lacking dlss which is a big feature that's really great (look up death stranding videos with it on/off). amd has decent rasterization but it's not amazing nor amazingly cheaper either. also lol @ using amd drivers although they've gotten better than it used to be. i will say raytracing right now is a little overhyped. it actually made Metro Exodus look worse in some areas and only marginally better in some. if you wanted a comparison: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...WcwVE51NFdEdXhn

likewise it's not that noticeble in CP2077 either, like a little bit esp ray tracing reflections is nice, but not enough that it's a gamechanger or would miss it if you couldn't use it.
It's funny to me how RTX in games basically seems like a gimmick so far and hardly ever worth the performance hit, but do some 3D work in Blender and you get like a 100% performance boost.

Thanks for the info on AMD cards!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It sucks because my computer's been running for more than a decade at this point and I need to replace it.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Raytracing is a huge deal, it's just that what we're seeing now are still the early days of its real-time implementations.

In a couple of years what CP77 is doing now will seem like what Crysis did in 2007 for game graphics.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No I'm busy using it to scrape singed oil off my engine block.

Sounds like onanism to me hoss

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

This guy i sold a case to tried to interest me in a 3080 for 850 i dont know much about gfx cards anymore and it was raining hard so i told him no because that sounded unbelievable and i went home and looked it up and that wasnt so unbelievable anymore

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

This guy i sold a case to tried to interest me in a 3080 for 850 i dont know much about gfx cards anymore and it was raining hard so i told him no because that sounded unbelievable and i went home and looked it up and that wasnt so unbelievable anymore

You should have gone back and asked him why his hands smell like that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i would have taken that

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

we got plenty in new zealand friend, just come over and pick one up

NZ$ is like .70 USD, so that's probably super expensive plus you'll have to stay in plague quarantine for 2 weeks but Still:

e: oh yeah and 40 hours in a airplane seat i guess

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 18, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
This is disturbing news. I have the 1060 3 GB and while it does work really well for almost anything (and can run cyberpunk) it's clear which way the wind is blowing. Hopefully I can hold out for another year or so when there will be more availability

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It seems there are always shortages though, especially when a brand new card is released, it's not uncommon to have to wait months to finally get one.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the gddr6 ram shortage affecting video cards is expected to end february 2021. after that supply should increase such that scalpers cant possibly buy them all up and ones still holding the bag are forced to sell at a shipping loss to themselves to unload their stock

if you but from a scalper even offering normal prices around that time dont be surprised if they burn you as their business model comes to an end

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 18, 2020

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've been waiting a while to get my new Matrox G400 for a while, guess it might be cheap enuff for me to afford now. Good for gaming goons?

Found a tech demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHy9geQPB0

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Inzombiac posted:

It's impossible to even get a decent older generation one for an ok price.

Story of our lives isn't it?

Hey someone figured out how to extract maximum profit off this, so gently caress off. Normal people will just have to hunt around if they want something at MSRP/what's it's actually worth.

Graphics cards, housing, used cars. It's all ours and you can't have it unless you pay double nyahhhh :smug:

gary oldmans diary posted:

the gddr6 ram shortage affecting video cards is expected to end february 2021. after that supply should increase such that scalpers cant possibly buy them all up and ones still holding the bag are forced to sell at a shipping loss to themselves to unload their stock

if you but from a scalper even offering normal prices around that time dont be surprised if they burn you as their business model comes to an end

Bitcoin is back baby. Now I'm off to drain 5% off the Earth's electricity to collect pedocoins.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Bula Vinaka posted:

So if China finally takes back Taiwan by force like they're currently doing in Hong Kong, does that mean no more new motherboards and therefore new computers for the rest of the world?

Good imo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Xaris posted:

big navi is a joke and even more of a paper launch than the 3000s. it's lacking dlss which is a big feature that's really great (look up death stranding videos with it on/off). amd has decent rasterization but it's not amazing nor amazingly cheaper either. also lol @ using amd drivers although they've gotten better than it used to be. i will say raytracing right now is a little overhyped. it actually made Metro Exodus look worse in some areas and only marginally better in some. if you wanted a comparison: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...WcwVE51NFdEdXhn

likewise it's not that noticeble in CP2077 either, like a little bit esp ray tracing reflections is nice, but not enough that it's a gamechanger or would miss it if you couldn't use it.

i think AMD is closing the gap quite hard, especialyl being the GPUs of use in next-gen consoles meaning it's less likely that there'll be compatibility-driver fuckery and crash to desktops and such it used to have; and it's gotten quite a lot closer this time around but i still think it's foolish to get an amd card, in part because they also are even more unavailable, they aren't priced much lower, and their real-world FPS performance is still worse all-around and missing DLSS. next gen of cards though? yeah they could really be a great bang for the buck alternative but big navi isn't the nvidia-killer yet but it's getting close to it. if AMD seriously undercuts the prices with big navi 2.0 and can implement DLSS-lite then it could be good.

i have a 3080 evga and im quite happy with it. got lucky early on.

yeah, the 6800 non-XT is a good enough value proposition that I don't think it would be an unreasonable choice for a lot of people if it existed at MSRP and its higher end than AMD has been for a while (plus the less reasonable halo products), but you just can't get it and that's not going to change while next gen consoles and CPUs are (rightfully) higher priorities for their TSMC quota

having now experienced it on my own 3080, real time ray tracing is neat, but you're making big sacrifices for it and its like only just approaching passable on a 3080 for any resolution above 1080p, so AMD currently being a generation behind (and about as "good" as Nvidia's first stab was) really doesn't feel like it'll really matter for a while since most people aren't using $700 GPUs and RT becoming viable/widely implemented/expected isn't going to be anywhere near immediate (especially given the design of the "next gen" consoles)

imo the proprietary tech they really need to worry about is DLSS - if they can get their "superresolution" competitor viable in the semi-near/mid term I think they're right there, but otherwise it's going to be an increasingly hard sell to give up that many "free" frames per second

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Any predictions when this will all settle down?

I'm due for an upgrade.. after effects is just starting to struggle on my 980gtx now, but I'm blaming that more on adobe

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

toggle posted:

Any predictions when this will all settle down?

I'm due for an upgrade.. after effects is just starting to struggle on my 980gtx now, but I'm blaming that more on adobe

spring/summer 2021

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
swear to god this gpu poo poo has been going on for like over a year. it's absurd. price of a high end card is what I used to pay to build an entire mid-high end pc with a monitor.

trying to play cp2077 on my ~4 year old rig with a 1070, it's alright but it not great. fps driving around sometimes goes into the tank. but im probably not buying a new card for months at minimum.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
GPUs are now being bought by cloud services providers (Amazon, Microsoft, Google) at massive scale for AI workloads. So now you’re competing for stock with these guys, who have direct purchase deals and a fuckton of money.

Until production capacity gets a huge bump don’t expect anything but a trickle of highly priced cards out there. Won’t be anytime soon.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The Management posted:

GPUs are now being bought by cloud services providers (Amazon, Microsoft, Google) at massive scale for AI workloads. So now you’re competing for stock with these guys, who have direct purchase deals and a fuckton of money.

Until production capacity gets a huge bump don’t expect anything but a trickle of highly priced cards out there. Won’t be anytime soon.

so what you're saying is there needs needs to be some kind of grassroots resistance? that gamers, in some way, should rise up?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I bet you could get elected on promising to finally end these insane gpu shortages. The system has clearly failed if it can't even provide FPS to its people in adequate numbers.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jeza posted:

so what you're saying is there needs needs to be some kind of grassroots resistance? that gamers, in some way, should rise up?

This movement is about ethics in gaming journalism cards!!!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Can't punk any cybers till you get yourself a real deck

Plug that poo poo directly into your brain, Chummer!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Tarkus posted:

I've been waiting a while to get my new Matrox G400 for a while, guess it might be cheap enuff for me to afford now. Good for gaming goons?

Found a tech demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHy9geQPB0

I bought this card back then and even later upgraded it to the G450. I ran that exact tech demo.

I'm god tier.