Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
ask YOUR MOM OP
*nerd voice* well op theres a shortage of materials that are needed plus increased demand due to covi
gently caress u OP
It stands for Go Phuck Urself
Goku Bittcoin Miner.
View Results

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I wanna build a new PC since its been 4 years and I can't run really SICK games like COD and Battlefield and CyberPUNK 2069 at ULTRA SETTTINGS.

but there's apparently no graphics cards anymore because of buttcoin of some stupid poo poo?

whats going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it's me mining all the buttcoins, suck it OP

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

buttcoin miners and people running bots

It's impossible to even get a decent older generation one for an ok price.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's how the forum was saved OP.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

I wanna build a new PC since its been 4 years and I can't run really SICK games like COD and Battlefield and CyberPUNK 2069 at ULTRA SETTTINGS.

but there's apparently no graphics cards anymore because of buttcoin of some stupid poo poo?

whats going on here.

lmao I remember it being a pain in the rear end buying a graphics card a year and a half ago, that shits still going on?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Chinatown posted:

whats going on here.

Mostly ram shortages, but nvidia seems to have poo poo yields from the new samsung fab and amd's capacity with tsmc is maxed.

Oh, also there is a global pandemic that has hosed with supply chains and continues to do so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like it's not actually crypto poo poo this time, OP, just supply shortages on components that probably won't clear up until after the Chinese New Year holidays in February.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got a 3080 at MSRP

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I got a 3080 at MSRP

Can I have it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

Can I have it.

No I'm busy using it to scrape singed oil off my engine block.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I snagged a Radeon Rx 580 last year and it performs very well

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

beer gas canister posted:

I snagged a Radeon Rx 580 last year and it performs very well

What's it performing

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's how the forum was saved OP.

I can't stop laughing when I'm reminded of this.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

it's all about the pentiums baby

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

bus hustler posted:

it's all about the pentiums baby

it's all about the zen3iums baby :eyepop:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

buy a playstation OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhvDy8h3FG8

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Serious answer: the major manufacturers struck deals with monstrously large bitcoin farms in asia (china) and are pumping cards to them and leaving minimal stock available in western markets which means there's a shortage and since the rules of supply and demand apply, guess what those manufacturers get to do? Double-dip and raise prices as demand rises.

They made out like loving absolute bandits.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

r u ready to WALK posted:

buy a playstation OP

consoles lol

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

:lol:

Thank God I didn't buy this thing on release.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you need GPUs to run creepy neural net AIs not just bitcoins. gamers never stood a chance

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this is extremely cyber punk

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I still don't understand how bitcoin farming with graphics cards, and i mean like, 100,000 of them, is more effective than an infinitely smaller number of faster and more robust processors that could be purpose built FOR that rather than needing the actual card itself, or if I'm just wildly misunderstanding that they are simply sending the gpu's themselves to be mounted onto other hardware?

But I've seen photos of a burnt out warehouse used as one of these farms and it was racks upon racks upon racks upon racks of what looked like actual graphics cards that had caught fire.

It seems like if you NEED that architecture to most effectively mine crypto they'd have come up with a chip that fits a different profile or whatever.

So, even then I could understand nvida et al. designating resources to make and sell that hardware instead, but from what I can tell it's literally just sending out the same drat cards to these farms. It just seems WILDLY impractical.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

I still don't understand how bitcoin farming with graphics cards, and i mean like, 100,000 of them, is more effective than an infinitely smaller number of faster and more robust processors that could be purpose built FOR that rather than needing the actual card itself, or if I'm just wildly misunderstanding that they are simply sending the gpu's themselves to be mounted onto other hardware?

But I've seen photos of a burnt out warehouse used as one of these farms and it was racks upon racks upon racks upon racks of what looked like actual graphics cards that had caught fire.

It seems like if you NEED that architecture to most effectively mine crypto they'd have come up with a chip that fits a different profile or whatever.

So, even then I could understand nvida et al. designating resources to make and sell that hardware instead, but from what I can tell it's literally just sending out the same drat cards to these farms. It just seems WILDLY impractical.
Some coins are designed specifically to be hard or impossible to mine on ASICs so normal GPUs are pretty much your only option

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
fell off a boat and are at the bottom of the ocean now OP!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I have a z77 and a 3570k and a 1060 3gb and the only thing i miss out on is accurately modelled face shadows on 1080p

I think all of those things are from 2012-13

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Some coins are designed specifically to be hard or impossible to mine on ASICs so normal GPUs are pretty much your only option

Was this done to try to recapture the dream of nerds effectively farming crypto on their gaming rig's downtime because if so lol.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
seriously i cant find a single card on any retail websites lol

i guess my date with the dick size slider will have to wait longer than i expected :sigh:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Can't punk any cybers till you get yourself a real deck

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Chinatown posted:

seriously i cant find a single card on any retail websites lol

i guess my date with the dick size slider will have to wait longer than i expected :sigh:

Here you go OP.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Build again in 6 years. Know your power limit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

does this one do ray tracing?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What's it performing

P good, doesn't run modern single player epics on ultra or anything but I can play multiplayer stuff like Squad and Overwatch, and older games at 60 on high settings with no issues. Runs Crysis 1 at 60fps :madmax:.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Chinatown posted:

does this one do ray tracing?

Yes, it comes with a man named Ray who traces lines of light on a sheet of paper.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna go check out my local Fry's Electronics to see if they have any in stock

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

When the rtx 3070 dropped I spent 2 days updating a thread specifically for notifying people on a pc tech forum until I managed to grab one in the hour it was available. Things are diré right now lmao.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh ok.

Clearly that adds intrinsic value of 1's and 0's being done.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I looked at GPUs and decided it made no sense to buy right now. 2000-series cards are literally double the price of 3000 series cards for comparable performance (i.e., 3060 vs. 2080), and 3000-series cards are out of stock.

Even used 2000-series cards go for more than the price of a comparable 3000-series card new. I wonder who is buying them.

What's going on with AMD though? Nobody seems to be talking about them. The reason I want an Nvidia card is because RTX is actually really good for raytracing in renderers, more so than in games, but most people don't care about that and AMD seems to have good performance in games.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Elukka posted:

What's going on with AMD though? Nobody seems to be talking about them. The reason I want an Nvidia card is because RTX is actually really good for raytracing in renderers, more so than in games, but most people don't care about that and AMD seems to have good performance in games.
big navi is a joke and even more of a paper launch than the 3000s. it's lacking dlss which is a big feature that's really great (look up death stranding videos with it on/off). amd has decent rasterization but it's not amazing nor amazingly cheaper either. also lol @ using amd drivers although they've gotten better than it used to be. i will say raytracing right now is a little overhyped. it actually made Metro Exodus look worse in some areas and only marginally better in some. if you wanted a comparison: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...WcwVE51NFdEdXhn

likewise it's not that noticeble in CP2077 either, like a little bit esp ray tracing reflections is nice, but not enough that it's a gamechanger or would miss it if you couldn't use it.

i think AMD is closing the gap quite hard, especialyl being the GPUs of use in next-gen consoles meaning it's less likely that there'll be compatibility-driver fuckery and crash to desktops and such it used to have; and it's gotten quite a lot closer this time around but i still think it's foolish to get an amd card, in part because they also are even more unavailable, they aren't priced much lower, and their real-world FPS performance is still worse all-around and missing DLSS. next gen of cards though? yeah they could really be a great bang for the buck alternative but big navi isn't the nvidia-killer yet but it's getting close to it. if AMD seriously undercuts the prices with big navi 2.0 and can implement DLSS-lite then it could be good.

i have a 3080 evga and im quite happy with it. got lucky early on.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 14, 2020

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I just bought a new PC (should be here this week!) with a 3070 in it, and a 1440p monitor, but I'm upgrading from a 980ti/1080p so I'm wondering how much of a (ultimately positive) shock it'll be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I just bought a new PC (should be here this week!) with a 3070 in it, and a 1440p monitor, but I'm upgrading from a 980ti/1080p so I'm wondering how much of a (ultimately positive) shock it'll be

I recently replaced my monitors from 1080/60 to 1440/144 and it was an excellent upgrade. Had to lower settings on some games though, hence why I'm looking to build a new PC.