Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Skeletome posted:

loving loved this comic growing up!

I am sorry to jump the gun but:

https://twitter.com/daveluty/status/1261284589630259200

This is raising quite a few questions in my mind, I have to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Cover by Ferran Rodriguez (who I'll cover more when we see him do interiors)

Some of these early scans have the credits get cut off:
Script: Mark Millar
Art: Casanovas
Letters: Elitta Fell

Jose Casanovas (consistently credited on StC as just "Casanovas") was a Spanish comic artist who was yet another 2000 AD guy (who had been in the industry for decades by that point, including on various girls comics; which is its own rabbit hole)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 11, 2021

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Will be sad if this isn't the ending of the second movie. Then the third is a shot for shot remake of JFK but Kevin Costner is Knuckles.

echidnas dont exist in the JFK universe

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

how come in the assassination arc all the animals except Sonic and Tails are fully clothed but they run around completely nude

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The denizens of mobius start the comic as being the little animals that out of badniks. By the end of the comic they're fully clothed deviant art furry characters.

Theres a bunch of reasons that happened but my favorite is that they at some point thought they were meant to make the comic fit in with one of the in production cartoons at the time so they gave cutesy characters rad leather jackets based on the one piece of concept art they had seen.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I'm not gonna bother pointing out credit cutoffs on serials unless it's the first chapter or it's where there's a change in artist

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Op, keep doing the lords work

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's me.
I'm the kid writing in to a comic book/magazine to ask Sonic why he's so blue and fast for a video game hedgehog as if this is an actual concern I have.

"Dear anthromorphic talking cartoon video game character than only exists in games and this comic book. Hello. Nice to finally meet you. Why the gently caress you so fast you slippery bitch? And don't tell me it's those boots again you ball sloppin' rear end weasel I know what you're up to don't think I don't. P.S. Can you give me a cheat code for Wimbeldon Tennis my brother always beats me and then pulls my shorts off in the shed and it's so hot out there."

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 12, 2021

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Hey kid, see ya! Poof

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Nigel Kitching was another Red Dwarf Smegazine guy (doing both writing and art for it); he would also do some stuff for 2000 AD, but that wouldn't be until after StC. He would would also quickly become one of the main writers for StC; in a way he's to StC what Penders was to 90s Archie Sonic, except, you know

ILYA (credited here and his later StC appearances under his real name Ed Hillyer) is known for a variety of different things from stuff in other Fleetway books (though not 2000 AD itself) to later doing the art for the Green Dog strip in Max Overload to being involved in Eddie Campbell's Bacchus to making some How to Draw Manga-type books during the mid 00s; and co-founded the Detonator studio with Woodrow Phoenix

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This sonic guy seems like a real jerk

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I'm glad they didn't just kill the Lizardwoman. She was a worthy opponent. Perhaps one day humans and lizards can look past their differences and be friends.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Can't decide if "big attack!" or "zzziss" is the better thing to shout as I charge into battle

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
this thread is like a fever dream while hooked up to an LSD IV

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When are they gonna get to the jfk assassination

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Sonic the flasher

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Haha.
Sonic The Hamhog, Loved hamburger!
So classic, Sonic! Go t to go fast and that also means eat ALOT of hammburgers

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I am super invested in the Golden Axe story. It's been a real struggle for our heroes, who've had to deal with some very serious setbacks and losses.

Kind of shocked the Amazon escaped on her own instead of just getting rescued. Clearly, whoever wrote this studied the source material closely (the power rankings go Dwarf ≥ Amazon >>> Sword Guy)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Oh gently caress yeah! I used to have most of these! Op PLEASE tell me you've got the ones with mutant league football in, I've always wanted to read them again!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

!Klams posted:

Oh gently caress yeah! I used to have most of these! Op PLEASE tell me you've got the ones with mutant league football in, I've always wanted to read them again!

The only stuff I'm skipping are stuff skipped in the scans (ads, 2 page pin ups, posters, and reprints) so we will get to that

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Cover by Carl Flint (again, I'll go into more detail about him when we read a story where he did interiors)

Script: Nigel Kitching
Art: Ferran Rodriguez
Letters: Elitta Fell

Ferran Rodriguez is an artist from Spain, who somehow managed to get access to a Japanese style guide for sonic instead of a western one. Sonic being one of his first gigs, he would go on to ink for various disney comics and do art for various other licenses.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Why is Sonic such a jerk to Tails?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

Howcum Sonic is such a jerk to Tails? Howcum?

Leaning way too hard into the dude with a 'tude part of Sonic.

That said: wow holy poo poo is the art suddenly better for the Sonic comic. Before it was actually kinda embarrassing for it to be the main attraction next to the art of all the other comics.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I came for the Sonic but the Golden Axe comic ended up winning me over.
Wonder Boy's artist clearly hates drawing Wonder Boy. He'll draw a cutesy anime protagonist if he has to, but only under protest

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Geemer posted:

Leaning way too hard into the dude with a 'tude part of Sonic.

That said: wow holy poo poo is the art suddenly better for the Sonic comic. Before it was actually kinda embarrassing for it to be the main attraction next to the art of all the other comics.

Yeah, someone was definitely phoning it in. Maybe the sales for the first couple of issues were better than expected?

dracky posted:

I came for the Sonic but the Golden Axe comic ended up winning me over.
Wonder Boy's artist clearly hates drawing Wonder Boy. He'll draw a cutesy anime protagonist if he has to, but only under protest

:same:
It's the 90s, he only wants to be drawing gnarly mutant demons. As is only right.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Geemer posted:

Brutal Garcon posted:

Yeah, someone was definitely phoning it in. Maybe the sales for the first couple of issues were better than expected?

It seems to be a mix of artists being hamstrung early on to match the style guides and not doing the best job, some phoning it in, and some just not dealing with their artistic comfort zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

This probably isn't the most forums etiquette-y thing to do but since there's so many images on this page and we're so close to the next page I'm gonna make this post to bump us over