Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Everyone knows about the saga of Penders and his echidnas, but did you know, there was another Sonic comic across the pond?

Published by Fleetway, it shared a lot of creative DNA with Fleetway's flagship title; 2000 AD, the sci-fi anthology comic that gave the world titles such as Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, and ABC Warriors.

Serving as the original editor on StC was then-current 2000 AD editor Richard Burton.

Writer Alan McKenzie served as both a writer and as Burton's assistant editor on 2000 AD (in fact apparently Burton was busy enough with StC that during the final stretch of his time as editor McKenzie was practically acting as editor, and would quickly straight up be promoted to the position)

Artist Anthony Williams is also a 2000 AD regular. Years down the line he would do the art for Mark Millar's The Unfunnies.

And finally, letterer Tom Frame was considered The Letterer on Judge Dredd stuff specifically by that point.

It may look unassuming at first, but this comic goes places (and does so far sooner than Archie did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

StC wasn't just a comic; it was also a video game magazine and thus featured reviews and news and stuff

Plus, it also didn't just have Sonic comics; it was a whole Sega anthology

Shinobi artist Jon Haward is another 2000 AD guy (not one of the big names or anything, in fact he was a fresh face in the book when StC started)

gettin' a bit ahead of our selves, eh?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
The UK? That place doesnt loving count

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Eager to see if this heads into another comic jam.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mark Eyles has written for 2000 AD, and also worked in game design

Mike White is an old school comics artist, having worked on 2000 AD back when the publisher was IPC instead of Fleetway, but appears to be more well known for his work on other IPC/Fleetway titles, particularly Roy of the Rovers

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

while most issues of StC have 4 stories, issue 1 only had three, opting to use the space the 4th story would usually go to promote upcoming stuff

and while these scans leave out ads (and compos, and posters, and 2 page spread pin-ups, though the 1 page-ers are in the scans), they do thankfully keep the letter pages (and oh boy some of these letters in future issues sure are something)

And that wraps up our first issue, see you tomorrow for issue 2

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Post the Kid Chameleon comic, plz! That was one of my favorite games on the genesis and I’d love to see the knock off Jason Vorhees “helmet”

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

1redflag posted:

Post the Kid Chameleon comic, plz! That was one of my favorite games on the genesis and I’d love to see the knock off Jason Vorhees “helmet”

your wish is my command...
a week from now

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

just gonna casually toss my grappling hook 100 ft in the air where it embeds itself in solid stone and then scale the wall with my climbing claws anyhow

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

why did he shoot the grappling hook up if he was just gonna cat claw his way up without using it?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

lmao I used to pretend very hard that I was sonic the hedgehog, like I would tell teachers to refer to me as Sonic, so this panel could literally be just a scene from my life

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

when are we getting a thread about those rad Mexican trucker comics someone posted in the COVID thread months ago? with the g-string titty banshees

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

rock climbers don’t climb up their safety ropes either :shrug:

Aqua
Mar 24, 2004
NukeZone Mod
I remember buying this comic. I remember nothing else about it, which probably says a lot.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

1redflag posted:

rock climbers don’t climb up their safety ropes either :shrug:

Safety is so NOT ninja, not ninja at all

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I used to get this when I was a kid. I remember one issue had a scratch and sniff that oddly I can still distinctly remember the smell of despite it being something I smelled over a quarter of a century ago

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Oh yeah two facts about the cover I forgot to mention:

1) The first 15 issues don't credit the cover artist; while it's not an issue for most of them because it's easy to recognize them, issue 1's cover was done by an artist otherwise not involved in the comic at least not until way later: 2000 AD regular Kev Hopgood

2) "Sharper than a Cyber Razor Cut" refers to this ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E36JA1meigk

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I don’t think we know who did this cover. Some sources claim it’s Hopgood again, but other sources only mention him doing issue one and it doesn’t have quite the same artstyle.

Mark Millar probably needs no introduction here, but to give some context he was among various 2000 AD creatives who would see mass recognition once making the jump across the pond (alongside the likes of Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Brian Bolland, Neil Gaiman, and Garth Ennis). When StC was early in production, he wrote a ton of scripts over the course of a month to pay for his wedding. So when you see Mark Millar's name later on, know that it was a script that had been sitting in the vault for a while.

Woodrow Phoenix is our first non-2000 AD creative (well I guess there's also letterer Elitta Fell, though she did have a single 2000 AD credit at this point), having been the creator of the comic strip The Sumo Family and a letterer (with the occasional art credit) on Fleetway's Red Dwarf Smegazine (the Smegazine being a common origin point for the early wave of non 2000 AD people on this book). He's also the co-founder of the Detonator Studio with ILYA. He's the one behind the original design for Megadroid too. His immediate next gig was doing the art for a Toejam & Earl comic in the short lived (only lasted 2 issues) Max Overload. It appears that he's gone on to have a very fruitful and well renowned career after his work on StC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrjUeayj38

Also some interesting posts about Max Overload here and here

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh look its my childhood in comic format.

I love this comic, Its a mixed bag but when its good its so good and Richard Elson's artwork in particular is just incredibly good for a kids videogame tie in comic

Wonderboy in STC has some fishtank tango rear end energy its great.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I love how this comic is so perfectly normal compared to the furry soap opera that was the american comic.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The Walrus posted:

lmao I used to pretend very hard that I was sonic the hedgehog, like I would tell teachers to refer to me as Sonic, so this panel could literally be just a scene from my life

Sonic the Walrus? Sounds pretty far fetched to me

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I assume the British version of Sonic was outed as a nonce in the last issue and that's why it was cancelled. That or he's got some thoughts on trans people.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

big Gor energy

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Where's our badge, OP?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Bojan Djukic (credited here as M. D.J. Boyann, though he'll be credited under a slightly misspelled version of his real name later on) is a Serbian artist who's done the art for stuff like a German Tom & Jerry comic. Nowadays he seems to mostly pursuing independent projects and drawing pinups of muscular women for Deviantart

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Having trouble engaging with this without massive green fart clouds and/or grotesque foot fetishism

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
OP, Horny is forbidden in GBS.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
sorry op i only read sonichu and tanic the hedgehog

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That logo on the bottom right of the first image itt looks like a cock. We're off to a good start.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Play posted:

Having trouble engaging with this without massive green fart clouds and/or grotesque foot fetishism

There's a lizard wearing a black sports bra and in the end, isn't that what's really important?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

neo: whoa

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Holy poo poo I used to read this religiously as a kid.

That probably says more about me than I'd like.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

loving loved this comic growing up!

I am sorry to jump the gun but:

https://twitter.com/daveluty/status/1261284589630259200

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skeletome posted:

Will be sad if this isn't the ending of the second movie. Then the third is a shot for shot remake of JFK but Kevin Costner is Knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Skeletome posted:

found out recently that this issue was the newest one at the time I was born.