Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Jeez, Smithers, 28 years is a long time to get started on that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

HD DAD posted:

The Stones have their place in history, but it’s probably not controversial to say they haven’t done anything truly interesting in decades. Which makes me think, what popular musicians continued to do interesting things well into their senior years and not just become a touring Greatest Hits act? I can think of Bowie, Cohen, and Cash. Maybe Pet Shop Boys.

Well if you mean interesting in the literal sense, Lou Reed comes to mind.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The Talking Heads guy?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dylan appears to outright hate concert goers - but he does still write and record songs, and some of them are even ok. His voice is really far into "more interesting than good" now, of course.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 25, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HD DAD posted:

The Stones have their place in history, but it’s probably not controversial to say they haven’t done anything truly interesting in decades. Which makes me think, what popular musicians continued to do interesting things well into their senior years and not just become a touring Greatest Hits act? I can think of Bowie, Cohen, and Cash. Maybe Pet Shop Boys.

Sparks, and John Carpenter technically counts since he's probably been doing live concerts for longer than he's been a director at this point.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I remember back in the ‘80s people were making jokes about geriatric Rolling Stones.

Now here we are 35 years later and one of them finally kicks the bucket at 80. RIP, you (now literal) old coot.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

King Vidiot posted:

Sparks, and John Carpenter technically counts since he's probably been doing live concerts for longer than he's been a director at this point.

just found about Sparks a few weeks ago and i've been gobsmacked ever since

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This was “ancient Geritol sipper” Mick Jagger according to some people in 1985:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_li_d_YviZ4

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Combo posted:

I would like if they kept replacing members as they die off and it turns into a ship of theseus paradox 50-75 years from now.
Jerry Garcia died in 1995 but the rest of Greatful Dead is still touring as Dead and Company. Your plan is possible.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
lol, at the idea that the Rolling Stones are going to end for any other reason than Mick and Keith dropping dead on stage.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

You Are A Elf posted:

I remember back in the ‘80s people were making jokes about geriatric Rolling Stones.

Now here we are 35 years later and one of them finally kicks the bucket at 80. RIP, you (now literal) old coot.

I remember Letterman cracking about "the Steel Wheelchairs tour".

I imagine they'll probably just keep soldiering on with a session drummer. For all the talk about him being irreplaceable and whatever, he was no Ginger Baker: they can find someone else (and already had, when it was just announced he was sick). I'm not sure why they'd want to, though: they have more money than they could ever spend, and surely better things to do that roam from city to city for the thousandth time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

beer gas canister posted:

just found about Sparks a few weeks ago and i've been gobsmacked ever since

How could I forget about Sparks? They’re the kind of guys who, when pushing 50 and reaching a point where their contemporaries were already resting on their laurels, decided to say gently caress it and self-produce a dance album in 1994 and it kicked rear end. And that’s only one example - they’ve done that countless times. Ron and Russel Mael are savants.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

HD DAD posted:

santana had platinum albums 45 years apart

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zappa Plays Zappa is apparently great - Dweezil may not be the songwriter his dad was, but he's a good guitar player and decent vocalist. The rest of the band is some rotating selection of people who played with Zappa and new talent - and I kind of hope it'll just keep going with new people.

As for the genuine old guys still going - Ry Cooder? He's 74 now, and has been active since the 60s; he made two supposedly quite good and politically topical albums in 2011 and 2012, and the latest one from 2018 is apparently decent.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The real talent in that band was Brian Jones.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Some of my favourite bands are dipping well into their 50s and still doing great stuff. Everyone in Killing Joke are in their 60s now, overdue for a new album.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

NecroBob posted:

how the gently caress is Keith Richards still alive

Necromancy and a shitload of deals with the devil

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

CPL593H posted:

The real talent in that band was mick taylor

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

This was “ancient Geritol sipper” Mick Jagger according to some people in 1985:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_li_d_YviZ4

I'm sure that the Family Guy writers had a good reason for playing this video in its entirety in an episode. Maybe they wanted to punish people for continuing to watch, who knows?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

He joined the band right when they got boring and Exile on Main Street is garbage.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I think Alex Van Halen is looking for a gig...

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Sticky fingers is my favorite. Brown sugar may be terribly, terribly racist but it’s also the best song ever made

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

CPL593H posted:

He joined the band right when they got boring and Exile on Main Street is garbage.

no cross-posting from the sex is bad thread

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Sticky fingers is my favorite. Brown sugar may be terribly, terribly racist but it’s also the best song ever made

beggars banquet, some girls, bridges to babylon. three decades my three favorites.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request, and then who cares?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Shiroc posted:

I saw Neil Young twice. The one thing he for sure isn't up to is knowing when to end a song instead of aimlessly jamming on it for like 15 minutes past when he's lost the audience. Then doing it again for every single song after that.

lol yup i saw him once in like 06 and that was exactly it. and there was like, violin metal. terrible.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Trans was a great album aside from Computer Cowboy. I can’t imagine Neil young doing those songs live but I like to imagine it was bad.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I remember seeing interviews with individual Stones members and each was asked something along the lines of what kept the group together for so long--

Mick: "Charlie Watts"

Keith: "Charlie Watts"

Bill: "Charlie Watts"

Ron: "Charlie Watts"

Charlie Watts: "I dunno."

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 25, 2021

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I like Sparks but they're new stuff has sucked for a while. Very formulaic and same-soundy now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Spinz posted:

Really?
Your av blew him in '78

Edit: it turns out this guy was awesome and faithful to his wife. I apologize Mr.Watts and thank you for the few, but spectacular, songs I like by the Stones.

That's a sloth

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

CPL593H posted:

let it bleed its their best album, what the hell?

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
idk why anybody still listens to these fossils who swung and missed at dying of overdoses when they were culturally relevant like they were supposed to. most of the guys I listened to in the 90s got pilled to death like true rockstars, you're not gonna see me still going to Static-X concerts at 50 like some dork

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Salacious Spy posted:

idk why anybody still listens to these fossils who swung and missed at dying of overdoses when they were culturally relevant like they were supposed to. most of the guys I listened to in the 90s got pilled to death like true rockstars, you're not gonna see me still going to Static-X concerts at 50 like some dork

because they're really good now shutup idiot

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Salacious Spy posted:

you're not gonna see me still going to Static-X concerts at 50 like some dork

People enjoy music at all ages, hth

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I don't think Keith has partied as hard as we all think, like someone else posted. He and the rest of the group were very amazed at the amount of drugs and drinking that the Country artists at the time (George Jones, Cash, etc) did.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

HD DAD posted:

herbie hancock

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

GolfHole posted:

herbie hancock

This, and also basically every Jazz artist that survived and continued to make music. Wayne Shorter's late career output is incredible

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
hell yeah Roy Haynes is 96 and still swings harder than almost every other living human

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
he was an old person making old people music. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i got a cab ride home from the sunfest in west palm beach florida once and the driver told me keith wears some sort of portable iv that is always pumping heroin into his veins, kind of like the jem hadar in star trek ds9 if you are familiar