Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Vitruvian Manic posted:

And vat-grown human would still give you kuru unless they took out those proteins.

pretty sure the prions for that are largely found in the brain and central nervous system, so if you're just growing slabs of long pork you should be fine

and yeah bring on the slabs of long pork, I'm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Rare and extinct animal vat grown meat I guess. Maybe pet animals, too. But before I commit- if it's vat grown beagle will it just be one cut of meat or will there be those floppy ears, too?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you dislike someone's taste in movies enough it is no longer technically cannibalism

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

naem posted:

milk steak

little green ghouls buddy
i ordered the milk braised veal at a fancy restaurant because of its always sunny

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pussi

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Loden Taylor posted:

pretty sure the prions for that are largely found in the brain and central nervous system, so if you're just growing slabs of long pork you should be fine

and yeah bring on the slabs of long pork, I'm down

Why would you grow human meat and then only eat muscle meat? Remember when Bourdain ate boar sphincter? I already eat human sphincter. Why not experience it in a whole new way?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d try lab grown unicorn meat

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Mutalisk necks in sauce extra spicy.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Kuru specifically doesn't seem likely but if this stuff goes from labs to lowest-bidder food plants I imagine there will be all kinds of wacky diseases and parasites of the immune-system-less meat blobs. That's a good reason to avoid eating vatman; don't want to give some fungus the chance to develop a real taste for manflesh.
Of course regular farming is a disease engine anyway.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Xaintrailles posted:

Kuru specifically doesn't seem likely but if this stuff goes from labs to lowest-bidder food plants I imagine there will be all kinds of wacky diseases and parasites of the immune-system-less meat blobs. That's a good reason to avoid eating vatman; don't want to give some fungus the chance to develop a real taste for manflesh.
Of course regular farming is a disease engine anyway.

You'd think that but anyone who has done cell culture will tell you otherwise.

I had a friend working for a large biopharma. He walked in one day and the fermenter was yellow. It is supposed to be red. He flicked it with his finger and just walked out. As soon as he saw that, he knew he was fired. May as well leave and get a head start on finding a new career.

Mesenchymal stem cells will make mesenchymal cells. Plasticity is a thing but if a cheapo fly-by-night facility finds the answer to plasticity and ends up with neuronal cells it might give some people kuru, but it will also give another person a Nobel prize.

naem
May 29, 2011

aminal

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Is it nutritious though? Look at the differences between grass-fed and conventional beef and pork, or wild-caught and farm-raised fish. There are quantifiable differences in the nutritive content of the meat despite it being from ostensibly the same animal. Is the lab grown meat going to have the same macro and micro-nutrient content as the actual pastured animal, or is it just calories and protein which will certainly keep you alive, but not necessarily healthy.

I would argue that farm-raised fish are better because wild ones are in waters that have mercury and other pollutants. Farms don't have mercury in their little hatchery things.

Also farm-raised salmon tastes like five times better than wild (at least at Costco) so there's that too.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Vitruvian Manic posted:

You've almost certainly eaten a close relative.

And vat-grown human would still give you kuru unless they took out those proteins.

I'd be interested in difficult-to-breed heirloom strains and rare delicious animals.

Sea turtle is supposed to be AMAZING. And I'm sure my daughter will want to eat various protein from the sea that isn't jellyfish in her dotage. So I'm pumped for the tech.

someone doesnt know how prions work

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Dogballs posted:

someone doesnt know how prions work

So you know how PRNP behaves in tissue cultivated from mesenchymal cells under normal cell culture conditions?

I don't, but I'm open to reading literature on it.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

irrelevant unless you are claiming prion formation is more frequent in the circumstances you describe than in nature, which you say you do not know, so you can't be claiming that, therefore your assertion that eating a lab-grown human will give you kuru is absurd

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Dogballs posted:

irrelevant unless you are claiming prion formation is more frequent in the circumstances you describe than in nature, which you say you do not know, so you can't be claiming that, therefore your assertion that eating a lab-grown human will give you kuru is absurd

LOL

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003
I'd like to eat a hummingbird.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What meat would a person eat if a person could eat meat!?

Sharkbasket
Apr 24, 2019
Most of the technologies for cultured meat use fetal bovine serum, which is taken from the blood of an unborn calf after slaughtering a pregnant cow. Definitely NOT cruelty free.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Wait so meat generally tastes good because it has been actually exercised by the animal. Is it possible to exercise artificially grown muscle tissue in a way that replicates the texture and flavor of animal tissue?

Otherwise I guess why not just eat tofu and whatever.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Wait so meat generally tastes good because it has been actually exercised by the animal. Is it possible to exercise artificially grown muscle tissue in a way that replicates the texture and flavor of animal tissue?

No it's impossible to grow whatever sort of muscle from any type of animal to ever exist on earth that we want at any time but also not give it nutrients or stimulate it to simulate exercise.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
If you wouldn’t eat vat meat you are a grade a moron imo

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Big Beef City posted:

No it's impossible to grow whatever sort of muscle from any type of animal to ever exist on earth that we want at any time but also not give it nutrients or stimulate it to simulate exercise.

Listen pal we're out here growing meat, let's not throw the word impossible around.

I expect within the century we'll have a Dyson sphere made of meat.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

From a movie called Antiviral by Brandon Cronenberg . David's son.

I wouldn't mind trying ethical foie gras or ortolan.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'd eat blue footed booby

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

madlobster posted:

Take two, they're small.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

They put a big ball off it in one of those exercise machines from the 50’s with the vibrating strap and it goes BBBBPPPPPTTTTHHHHHHHHBBBBPPPPPTTTTHHHHHHH

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a toucan served in its own bill

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
blue ring octopus
lionfish
poison dart frog

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aren't the most prized cuts from muscles that have very little exercise? And exercised muscle used for stews etc

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I would eat some juicy shaq meat

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

madlobster posted:

You can just do that, they don't belong to anybody

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I would eat some juicy shaq meat

But a single rump of Shaq could feed an entire Indonesian village for weeks, donate to the Human(e) Food Effort now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I bet if you pushed a bill through congress banning the consumption of lab grown human meat it'd pass unanimously because no one wants to be known as the cannibal senator.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Whatever giant South American rat that Charles Darwin ate on his HMS Beagle voyage and claimed was the best meat he ever had. And he would know, dude was eating bizarre poo poo since his days at the "eat every weird animal club" days in college, he ate at least one example of every animal he documented.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I think from a biology standpoint, yes. If human dna was used to somehow produce a slab of "MEAT" in a lab somewhere id consider that cannibalism. Ethical cannibalism i suppose

Yes, and vegan carnivorism.

Though if vat- grown human meat is ever sold, you can bet it will give the odd psycho a taste for the live-sourced stuff, and murders will ensue.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 12, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I plant ribeyes and pluck my meat from the steak vine.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

steinrokkan posted:

There really isn't much reason to eat meat once you get used to avoiding it. Cultured meat doesn't seem any more appealing than legumes or whatever, even if it's hypothetically equally ethical.

It tastes good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vim Fuego posted:

It tastes good

E wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins