Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Researchers have been working on "cultured meat" for a long time now--basically, meat that was never part of an animal. I have no idea what their progress is like but there's a lot to think about on this subject. For one, there's nothing inherently constraining things to traditional livestock animals. It would pretty much eliminate all ethical concerns like animal cruelty or cultural "those aren't for eating" issues.

I asked some irl friends if they'd be willing to try me, and most of them looked at me weird and said "...no."

Potential topics of discussion:
Would you eat the same kinds of meat you already do, just vat-grown?
Is there an animal you've always wanted to try but can't due to laws and stuff?
Is there a celebrity you'd like to have for dinner?
Would you try yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Is this a secret cannibal thread? I feel like this is a cannibal thread

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

sup armie

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Is this a secret cannibal thread? I feel like this is a cannibal thread

Is it still cannibalism if it was never part of a person?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think from a biology standpoint, yes. If human dna was used to somehow produce a slab of "MEAT" in a lab somewhere id consider that cannibalism. Ethical cannibalism i suppose

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What would be wrong with vat-grown meat? Is this a trick question?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd rather eat fake meat tbh

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like fish and chicken and beef and pork and uhhh ummmmmm blackbeans ? Tofu? Whatever that beyond crap is made out of.

I like to eat essentially.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There really isn't much reason to eat meat once you get used to avoiding it. Cultured meat doesn't seem any more appealing than legumes or whatever, even if it's hypothetically equally ethical.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I think from a biology standpoint, yes. If human dna was used to somehow produce a slab of "MEAT" in a lab somewhere id consider that cannibalism. Ethical cannibalism i suppose

I suppose that's a fair way to look at it.

steinrokkan posted:

There really isn't much reason to eat meat once you get used to avoiding it. Cultured meat doesn't seem any more appealing than legumes or whatever, even if it's hypothetically equally ethical.

Liking the taste???

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
human next question

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I there are some really delicious animals that no-one eats because it's too much hassle, like pygmy shrews, giant isopods, or bigfoots.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i will not eat lab grown meat but i would eat human meat

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Going to ouroboros myself

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Would you eat the same kinds of meat you already do, just vat-grown?

Yes, of course.

Is there an animal you've always wanted to try but can't due to laws and stuff?

Pandas because they're nerds

Is there a celebrity you'd like to have for dinner?

Ginger Snaps era Katharine Isabelle or Mean Girls era Lindsay Lohan

Would you try yourself?

Absolutely not because I would be some Carl Budding level meat lol I'm human trash

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TjNuzoM76I

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
We should genetically resurrect the wooly mammoth, than kill it to turn it into mammoth vat meat and never make another actual wooly mammoth, it will only exist in our public consciousness as mammoth burgers that everyone kind of hates.

Like whale meat in Japan but more ethical.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If this were viable and somehow NOT more of an ecological imprint than simply farming (and/or improving existing methods thereof) you know, meat, ok. Yes I would eat it.

If you told me it was genetically the same as Human meat, grown in ideal conditions of some sort and would I eat that? Yes I would. Wow. Stunning. I'm sure.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Make me a cruelty-free veal parmigiana sub, which I haven’t eaten in over two decades, and I will be pro vat.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

T-rex

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'd like to see the how and why of it since it wouldn't make sense other than a culinary aspect.

But if for some far-flung god forsaken poo poo speck idea made that concept a reality? "Will you eat red meat to survive?" The answer is yes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Geez just have some tofu longpork

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Dog meat dog meat dog meat

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Forget human meat, it's all about neanderthal meat. Show those ugly fuckers who's on top of the food chain! Denisovan man, you're next on the menu!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
LOUD MEAT! LOUD IS THE BEST FLAVOR ENHANCER! MAKES MSG TASTE LIKE poo poo IN COMPARISON!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I remember a thread from 2015-ish era GBS called "how do you feel about the industrialized harvesting of flesh?" and the OP posted "I have an excellent video of a pig slaughter from Ukraine where the villagers beat it on its head with the blunt side of an axe" without actually providing a link and someone else posted "twitching, pulsating flesh" in the thread and then I think the OP did a heel turn trying to shame anybody who wasn't vegetarian.

No I do not have the link to the actual thread.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Aren't turtles meant to be delicious

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Voight-Kampff test is a load of poo poo what human wouldn't want delicious sun dried turtle jerky

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Only the kind that's registered in the official meatcoin blockchain.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'd still just eat the factory produced chicken with a heart beat OP.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely would prefer to eat meat made in a lab. I wouldn't have to worry about lovely slaughterhouses that use cancer chicken or feed their cows defective Skittles or whatever.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk skittle steak sounds great. I can almost taste the rainbow thinking about it.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If you think about it, materializing meat in some company's lab must resemble the kind of proprietary currently chain business existing in today's environment. With thousands of labs springing up across the sketchiest parts of the globe - some in possession of stolen enzyme blueprints requiring the energy of a small nuclear plant to react, others with copyrighted amino acids made exclusively out of illicitly harvested organs, and absolutely every single one a front for drug cartels selling tropical fruit flavored veal at $1k/oz to their own restaurants.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I absolutely would prefer to eat meat made in a lab. I wouldn't have to worry about lovely slaughterhouses that use cancer chicken or feed their cows defective Skittles or whatever.

If the lab-meat constantly grows without the chicken even attached anymore, isn't it just pure cancer?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Is it nutritious though? Look at the differences between grass-fed and conventional beef and pork, or wild-caught and farm-raised fish. There are quantifiable differences in the nutritive content of the meat despite it being from ostensibly the same animal. Is the lab grown meat going to have the same macro and micro-nutrient content as the actual pastured animal, or is it just calories and protein which will certainly keep you alive, but not necessarily healthy.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i like a nice dripping bloody filet mignon

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lab-grown chicken wings or bust.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

You've almost certainly eaten a close relative.

And vat-grown human would still give you kuru unless they took out those proteins.

I'd be interested in difficult-to-breed heirloom strains and rare delicious animals.

Sea turtle is supposed to be AMAZING. And I'm sure my daughter will want to eat various protein from the sea that isn't jellyfish in her dotage. So I'm pumped for the tech.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i’d eat pig and cow meat again if they were lab grown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk skittle steak sounds great. I can almost taste the rainbow thinking about it.

milk steak

little green ghouls buddy