Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's cool how many once in a life time devastating economic events have happened since I became an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://twitter.com/qasimrashid/status/1492171339448438788

:capitalism:

naem
May 29, 2011

Jose posted:

It's cool how many once in a life time devastating economic events have happened since I became an adult

twice for me back to ground zero

good practice foe the coming climate wars

WOW what a Taco!
Feb 8, 2022

If you guys could unfuck the economy so I can get a job when I graduate in a couple years that would be swell.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's in the game

was gone say this

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WOW what a Taco! posted:

If you guys could unfuck the economy so I can get a job when I graduate in a couple years that would be swell.

I'm a 2008 graduate and I say kill em* all!

*the jobs

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Meme Poker Party posted:

I really want to know how they came to the conclusion in the notice. Do people actually quit jobs when they get a dang tax refund? I really can't imagine that, at least in the sense "I'm quitting and have no plan because I got a tax return". What I can see is some people using that boost to pay needed expenses to move or whatever so they can transition to a different job, presumably that sucks less rear end.

"You'll need a job when the money runs out". lol how long does McDonalds think someone can live for off a tax return???

Although I'm a single guy and my tax refunds are poo poo. Working for minimum / low wage & surviving paycheck to paycheck, it can be pretty loving hard to actually go out and get another job. You either have to manage 2 jobs and transition or possibly having an extra week between paychecks...

I can definitely see a scenario, especially with kids, where someone would consider quitting a lovely fast food job after getting their tax returns, especially now when quite a few states have historically low unemployment rates...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Although I'm a single guy and my tax refunds are poo poo. Working for minimum / low wage & surviving paycheck to paycheck, it can be pretty loving hard to actually go out and get another job. You either have to manage 2 jobs and transition or possibly having an extra week between paychecks...

I can definitely see a scenario, especially with kids, where someone would consider quitting a lovely fast food job after getting their tax returns, especially now when quite a few states have historically low unemployment rates...

Yeah, this makes perfect sense to me. Using the money to transition to a different job. I can see that being an impetus to quit. But the notice is worded like they think workers are getting their tax returns and just quitting with no plan to work at all. Just subsisting on that refund money without working and no plan. And that I do not believe happens on any real scale.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

old beast lunatic posted:

I don't understand any way this wouldn't make more people quit. I want to go get hired at mcdonalds just to quit after reading this.

I feel that way with this one

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everyone should be rushing to get as deep into (low fixed rate) debt as possible before interest rates really take off

inflation isn't that scary unless you own a lot of assets and don't carry a lot of debt

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It blows my mind that apparently at least some people fall for hamfisted anti-union propaganda from their employer. Employers have the opposite incentives to workers wrt compensation, so why would they listen to them other than to do the opposite? Did they skip the part of childhood development where they developed a theory of the mind?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Posting from a country where all McDonald's workers get 25 days PTO, full healthcare coverage, no-fault terminations are illegal, minimum notice time is 1 month, maternity leaves are a thing, etc. and there is still a McDonald's on every corner and you can stuff your face with cheap garbage if you want. Make of that what you will

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

GABA ghoul posted:

Posting from a country where all McDonald's workers get 25 days PTO, full healthcare coverage, no-fault terminations are illegal, minimum notice time is 1 month, maternity leaves are a thing, etc. and there is still a McDonald's on every corner and you can stuff your face with cheap garbage if you want. Make of that what you will

lies.

If a country required that of businesses, all business would close up shop and move to another country and leave everyone jobless and begging for them to come back.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Are you Danish or something? Can you get me in?!

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Meme Poker Party posted:

I really want to know how they came to the conclusion in the notice. Do people actually quit jobs when they get a dang tax refund? I really can't imagine that, at least in the sense "I'm quitting and have no plan because I got a tax return". What I can see is some people using that boost to pay needed expenses to move or whatever so they can transition to a different job, presumably that sucks less rear end.

"You'll need a job when the money runs out". lol how long does McDonalds think someone can live for off a tax return???

Some people on the far end of the income spectrum will take a job just long enough to qualify for the earned income credit. If they have enough kids they could qualify for pretty substantial refunds due to the child tax credit as well. Thus, they would be getting back thousands more than might have been withheld from income for taxes. Couple that with food stamps, section 8 housing vouchers, and various other social welfare programs, it might be enough to get a family through the year without the need to work further.

This isn't a judgment, it's just how things work for some. My MIL does this, minus the kids, and spends the rest of the year traveling around with a trailer and hanging out in libraries.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm a 2008 graduate and I say kill em* all!

*the jobs

i was 08 too, our theme was '2008, what mysteries await?' lol.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The good news is real wages have been going down so people have less money to worry about spending.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

WOW what a Taco! posted:

lol if you're americna you can't even get rid of your student loans when you go bankrupt thanks to the current president

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Im lmaoing at all my friends who went to college and now make the same or less money than me but have a lifetime of debt

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jose posted:

:eng101: once in a decade

WOW what a Taco!
Feb 8, 2022

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Im lmaoing at all my friends who went to college and now make the same or less money than me but have a lifetime of debt

:negative:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just go to a job tree and get a job

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I pay $92/mo in dues for my union which is the cap.

I get like $162/mo stipend for "health insurance" but can spend on whatever and soon should be getting an extra $100/mo telework stipend thanks to my union

Im not very good at math, but i think that gets me more vidja than if i wasnt in a union

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Service my balls OP

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I have lots of student loans but make lots of money because of them. Gonna compound this by waiting for the value of the dollar to plummet before paying them back :grin:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah being in a union owns

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
hmm who would have thought that fiat currency value would tank when they printed a whole loving bunch of it AND people started to lose confidence in the dream and promise behind said currency...

edit: thats right... obama

vandalism fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 16, 2022

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Blah blah blah. the only inflation im interested in involves homemade rubber suits modeled after my favorite cartoon characters

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nooner posted:

I pay $92/mo in dues for my union which is the cap.

I get like $162/mo stipend for "health insurance" but can spend on whatever and soon should be getting an extra $100/mo telework stipend thanks to my union

Im not very good at math, but i think that gets me more vidja than if i wasnt in a union

Im the CEO of your company and I totally promise that if everyone quit the union we would still give you that $262, pinky swear no backsies.

And we'd give bigger raises to the best workers who really deserve it instead of being locked into the union's seniority system. That's right, we'd give you a raise and not Bob over there. You work soooo much harder than Bob, don't you deserve that raise more than him? Bob loves the union because he's a lazy slob who can only get ahead by kissing union boss rear end. gently caress Bob! Am I right?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Blah blah blah. the only inflation im interested in involves homemade rubber suits modeled after my favorite cartoon characters

Intriguing.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just go to a job tree and get a job

There literally are innumerable jobs at the moment. Sorry they don’t pay well for extreme hacky sack players.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Biden will save us LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

styls trill epic posted:

Biden will save us LOL

He already did.