Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
8 basses
6 guitars
3 synths

kinda ok at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I would suggest you would not own so many instruments if you were not in fact better than 'kinda ok' at them, possibly approaching Good

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I was learning piano for like 2 years and could play a few things, self taught so progress was slow but I was having fun. I picked up a cheap guitar on a whim around 4 months ago and it's completely consumed all of my practice time. I can't put the thing down. I never have a day where I feel like it's hard to motivate my practice with the guitar.

Piano became a very structured practice thing for me with scales, technique, finger exercises etc dominating my practice time. I do enjoy that stuff to a certain extent but I feel like the piano community as a whole really pushes that stuff on learners very hard. I forgot that the point of all this stuff was to play music I liked and have fun doing it.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying here is don't forget to have fun. That's the whole drat point of this stuff isn't it?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
e: fart

The Wicked ZOGA fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 21, 2022

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Drums since I was 10, guitar/bass since my 20s, piano x 2 years.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I had actual lessons in trumpet and cornet and was in orchestras and bands in school, university and a time after, then life and work got in the way and it sort of tailed off and I haven't played properly in years.

I started teaching myself piano as a teenager and have worked on that in bursts over time (the plague years and lockdowns were very good for this). I can pick out a tune fairly well and do the right-hand stuff while making something simple that fits for the left. I do wonder about getting lessons but now after 20 years I wonder how many awful (and unbreakable) habit I've got that would make a piano teacher scream. I was in a 'band' with some local colleagues and friends playing keyboard parts - we only did open mic nights and stuff.

I have an old Victorian reed organ which is fun to wheeze out a tune on now and then (it's especially good for Christmas carols). I used to be able to play simple hymn tunes etc. on a pipe organ (making use of friends and contacts in the music department at uni to play on the one there) but I bet all the coordination and muscle memory has gone now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Piano
Guitar
Bass
Drums

I own two pianos, a telecaster, a strat, stingray bass, and a cheapo acoustic guitar. I also own a small collection of synths and drum machines, including a Juno-106, a DX7, and a 909.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've been known to play the skin flute from time to time, I just like percussion instruments I guess.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I used to play out, a lot, but I never left the day job.

Now, I entertain just myself with my noodling - and push my sons to play. They're great, they play out, one has a record contract. It's been a very fulfilling hobby that, on occasion, paid for itself.

I think I actually enjoy playing all by myself MORE than playing in bands, at this point. Somewhere along the road of my music career, I developed stage fright, overthinking, paranoid - just got to the point I hated playing in front of people.

The joy I get from just mucking around now is still worth it. Get in there and learn some instrument - it can be super rewarding, even if just to improve your self-confidence at learning something new.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

magnificent7 posted:

I used to play out, a lot, but I never left the day job.

Now, I entertain just myself with my noodling - and push my sons to play. They're great, they play out, one has a record contract. It's been a very fulfilling hobby that, on occasion, paid for itself.

I think I actually enjoy playing all by myself MORE than playing in bands, at this point. Somewhere along the road of my music career, I developed stage fright, overthinking, paranoid - just got to the point I hated playing in front of people.

The joy I get from just mucking around now is still worth it. Get in there and learn some instrument - it can be super rewarding, even if just to improve your self-confidence at learning something new.

THat's awesome. I've always loved the gentle notes of a catfish drifting over the crowd.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I play guitar (trashy) and bass (classy).

But lately I've been writing electronic music and playing Ableton like it's own instrument is like, literally, endless fun.

Here's my humble soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/nonnonchalant :wth:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

All of my posts are meant to be sung in a unique melody. I hope it comes across.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

*wet farts into a tuba*

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I own a bunch of instruments, but can't play them very well (some at all). I wish I had more will to practice. I also get nervous about disturbing my neighbors. :(

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

dr.acula posted:

*wet farts into a tuba*

:hmmyes:

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I've been trying to get better at two gdae instruments since corona hell world started. First Irish bouzouki, then a four-stringed domra previously used in the local Russian orchestra. I find they're a bit easier to suss out on my own as opposed to guitar, probably because they have fewer strings. I'm used to classical guitar. I have a dizi that I never play and a few ocarinas that I dabble at.

I'm going to buy a mandocello whenever I get the cash for it. I was allowed to try a hundred year old Gibson, and it was amazing. It's incredibly rare to find one here in Norway.

Oh, and I sometimes play outside as a means to turn up the random encounter chance by a few orders of magnitude. A cigarette here, an expensive bottle of beer there. I'm not great, but it's a good way to ease social barriers. Drunk people are easy to please (myself included).

Grei Skuring fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 21, 2022

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

how far did you get?

Far enough to be able to play basic standards and hymns from memory. My biggest problem w/ that instrument was that the instructor was a gospel musician by trade and didn't want to teach anything secular, so anything I found compelling he refused to teach me. My technique is still decent, I can tune one by ear and play some basic scales still.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I play the clitoris, but the fingerings can be pretty tricky

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I used to play the saxophone but quit band in 10th grade and ended up donating my sax to a school music program years later.
The band teacher was an rear end in a top hat who demanded that band take precedence over everything else in your life.
He was heavily pressuring me to play the Sousaphone in marching, field show, and concert band because all the previous students that played it had graduated.I refused and he threatened to kick me out of jazz band, so I quit.
He told me I was a disappointment and let everyone down.
gently caress that guy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Piano. Studied it in college and had a grand old time.
Saxophone. Love this horn, but never got as proficient with it as I am piano.

I think the piano is super learnable and generally encourage folks to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss playing the xylophone