Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
if you don't but wish you did you should start. I wish I had started earlier because then I would be better right now.

can be pretty expensive though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

which would you recommend out of the skin flute or the pink oboe, op?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Piano lessons are more expensive than flying lessons

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
no but i am planning on escalating my continued psychological warfare with my neighbors. im thinking drums would be a good starting off point, but maybe a didgeridoo would create an additional layer of unreality

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I play your mom like a harmonica, op.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

No. 6 posted:

yeah exactly! I think there's an assumption that people who are interested in playing instruments are already loaded, which is distinctly unfair imo.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I play your mom like a harmonica, op.

Any 'arrangements' my parents have are none of my concern

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I play jazz piano as a hobby and it's a lot of fun and challenging. Ditto the idea that you should just start if you want to and have been thinking about it

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

yeah exactly! I think there's an assumption that people who are interested in playing instruments are already loaded, which is distinctly unfair imo.

Any 'arrangements' my parents have are none of my concern

Yeah most of the musicians I know are poor as hell

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

OMFG FURRY posted:

no but i am planning on escalating my continued psychological warfare with my neighbors. im thinking drums would be a good starting off point, but maybe a didgeridoo would create an additional layer of unreality

I would recommend bagpipes - but note this may escalate your psychological warfare into actual warfare.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I play guitar and have a sweet '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio that my dad bought new and then gave to me on my 16th birthday. I've had it for 20 years now and it's beat to poo poo because I played in bands for a lot of that time and I hauled it all over Europe on tours and stuff. But that gives it character imo and I'm never gonna sell it anyway.

I also have an old acoustic from the 70's that belonged to my grandad. It's a Lorenzo Blue Jay which is just some knockoff of a Gibson Hummingbird. It plays and sounds lovely though.

I can also play a little bit of piano but I would like to learn how to really play properly one day.

thanks for reading my post

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

no i play drums

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

No. 6 posted:

but a really good piano costs way less than a really lovely airplane and you can play piano drunk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No. 6 posted:

But flying is much more expensive than banging on a casio keyboard

Doctor J Off posted:

I play jazz piano as a hobby and it's a lot of fun and challenging. Ditto the idea that you should just start if you want to and have been thinking about it

Yeah most of the musicians I know are poor as hell
How are the lessons expensive then?

I got a guitar a few years before covid hit but only started putting serious time into it once the lockdowns started. I can play a few simple songs pretty decently as long as they don't have any crazy solos but that's about it. I don't know why I never considered learning it before, I was really into music since early teens but just somehow never thought of it as a possibility. Would've been nice to play decently now instead of... not.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i have 9 guitars

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'm a guerilla church organist

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I can play the same twenty riffs I learned in the mid 90s when I pick up my guitar once a year

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm learning guitar after owning at least one for years and years. Sometimes I think about how much better I'd be if I tried learning at 17, but if I did I probably would have learned a bunch lovely drop D riffs and moved on to being one of those guys with a 7-String PSR because I was stupid at 17 but didn't know it. I know I'm stupid at 39, which puts me at an advantage.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Guitar, vihuela, guitarron, and a little bit of violin and trumpet. Used to be a mariachi.

I also played clarinet from second to eighth grade and if I ever find mine, I’m sure I could pick it up again like I never stopped playing.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I toot my own horn.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I play the Keyboard, whistle, flute and harmonica. I wish I could play guitar but after years I never made any progress getting better at it.

Also repeating what others said in here and just start, regardless of age. One of my favourite composers didn't start until he was 40.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm a below average guitar player who is too lazy to get better, but I find it a lot of fun.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

sometimes i touch my moog. it's more programming than it is playing.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

I once asked my violin tutor 'when do you start feeling like you're good at this instrument' and as I expected she said 'never. that's why it suits us, because we're perfectionists. not like flute players'

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

mobby_6kl posted:

How are the lessons expensive then?

Musicians are poor because everything related to music is expensive, and playing music doesn't pay very well

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Anything I get my lips on will siiiiiingggg!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I play the toots from the musical fruit, daily

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Before I was an adult:

violin, mandolin, guitar, bass, old drum machine programming, very basic drum beats on a physical kit, and was starting to learn by ear - I taught myself a few basic things on keys, like the mario theme. Wrote a few songs, recorded some old 4 track demo stuff. Was in a garage band for a while and had a lot of fun, until I started having to work more often in my last two years of high school. Really miss the early 60s guild hollowbody I had for like three months, that thing loving screamed and had such customizable tone. Most sustain of any guitar I've ever played.

post college adulthood:

I try to play guitar a few times a year. Of course now the gear is much nicer, but the time and creativity isn't as present. Been thinking about learning some new songs for just the acoustic guitar, but I now have a vintage Fender amp I haven't used enough.

TLDR:
Please, play the instruments if you like it at all. I can say that my professional career would be in roughly the same place it is now if I just would have stayed focused on music and tried to stay in bands until I was 30, rather than earning two undegrad degrees and constantly working.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

how far did you get?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was once in handbell choir and very good at it

Now I only own a vuvuzela and an ocarina I can't really play very well

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I've always had a lovely guitar around in some form around since high school was always just a "go look up tabs and learn a riff" player. A couple of years before my 40th birthday (read: midlife crisis purchase) I picked up a nice entry level electric (LTD EC-256) and amp (Boss Katana) and got a little more serious about everything. I also started playing Rocksmith a bunch which is a much better teacher than just tabs.

I had every intention of starting proper in person lessons before the pandemic and was really excited about it. I'll probably start in the next year, my wife stopped working last year and we don't have money for that just yet.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I play piano, trumpet, and I'm learning to play dizi (chinese bamboo flute with an awesome sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8AOJbdsDQ&t=296s

I've tried guitar several times but I never get enough in to it. Probably would need lessons to make any real progress on it.

Some day I need to start learning violin as well.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
My neighbors would call my trumpet and clarinet playing a psyop.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I blew a kazoo once, does that count?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

I blew a kazoo once, does that count?

You're only supposed to give it a hummer

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Bloop posted:

You're only supposed to give it a hummer

Don't kinkshame tia

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yes.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I put together a warmoth jazz bass. It's real good.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Don't need lessons. You can learn everything on YouTube!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

OMFG FURRY posted:

Get a bagpipe. Make a ring of petroleum on your front lawn. light it on fire and stand in the middle and play bagpipe music while staring blankly at your neighbor. This will help your neighbors understand your viewpoint about things and aid in neighborly diplomacy.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

any session sitar players out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I play bass very poorly. Don't take courses or anything, just sit at home and play Rocksmith in between job breaks.