Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brother Tadger posted:

Why do Europeans like to talk about “Americans” as if we are some singular entity?

Like, see how dumb that sounds, OP?

Yeah, you'd think a place where they pretend a tiny island is actually three distinct countries would understand that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ape Fist posted:

From Hillary Clinton carrying around Hot Sauce in her handback, allegedly, to Americans just growing ghost chillis and eating them raw, the American brain seems to equate basically causing the inside of your mouth as much discomfort as possible with flavour.

But wait, you might think, Ape Fist, you loving stupid idiot brained loving child, are you saying you don't like hot food?

No. I actually love hot foods, from chillis to curries, I love getting my mouth punched out by a good blast of Vindaloo. But I don't need to add it to everything. In my uncultured European brain I can eat very mildly seasoned European foods one day, and heavily spiced Indian foods the next. But I don't think, because I don't have the brain of a child, that one of these things has more 'flavour' than the other.

So why do Americans absolutely constantly attempt to mog eachother by adding unnecessarily overly hot things to dishes which weren't designed to accomodate them in the first place?

Also 'Jalapinos' aren't hot I don't know why some people think they are.

edit: I know I misspelled Scoville.

Because you mentioned Scoville and jalapenos I'm going to go off on a tangent for something important I feel is often lost in discussions related to spicy food. Scoville is a measure of concentration, not a sum. When your typical person eats a jalapeno, they're not just plopping the whole thing in their mouth and masticating, it's sliced/diced/fried/or simmered as an ingredient or topping in a collective dish. The median Scoville for a raw jalapeno is a bit over 5k, but the reality is when you're adding a couple grams of jalapeno to a couple hundred gram sandwich the effective Scoville you're eating is shifted a decimal or two. Those korean spicy noodles that made internet rounds a couple years back are "only" something like 4.4k scoville, "less than a jalapeno!" but that's the entire dish as prepared, every bite is that 4.4k, and most people even those who like spicy food would struggle with them a bit because despite using those artisanal bottles of extract that are in the 10's/100's of thousand scovilles, they're getting mixed and diluted to an effectively low level in typical consumption. Scoville in sauces for the most part doesn't tell you how hot the food is gonna be, just the ratio in how you apply it.

As far as spicy for the sake of spicy goes I agree I think it's a lame pursuit, I've just generally found I like the flavor profiles that tend to come with spice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's not a tangent, that's pertinent info that I bet almost no one in this thread was aware of or used properly previously and you did a good job explaining it clearly so nice job

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hi guys I know jack poo poo about food, America, Americans, or proper spelling but let me tell you I think those Americans STINK with their food preparation like lol why do they do it like that?

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

We would never equate anything with "flavour" because that is a nonsense knife crime island word.

Edit - I decided to educate myself on flavour by watching British tv comedies on PBS. From what I can tell, it's is what happens when you boil a meat with a sprig of parsley in the water. This research puts me on par with OP's understanding of Americans and our food practices.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 29, 2022

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
What’s the deal with chili rellenos? Sometimes they are hot as hell but other times they aren’t hot at all. Either way they have oodles of flavor.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

What’s the deal with chili rellenos? Sometimes they are hot as hell but other times they aren’t hot at all. Either way they have oodles of flavor.

I'm sorry that you felt the need to use your male attitude and penis to become addicted to the lies that heat can only equal flavor whilst living in the traitorous colonies out of synchronicity with Her Majesty the Queen and thus have earned for yourself the sentence of DEATH

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I guess that’s fair

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
You are an idiot op

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It reminds me of the burning sensation I caught from your mom, op.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like szechuan peppercorns because they give your mouth that tingly feeling.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hillary doesn't actually keep hot sauce in her purse, OP, it was a weird media stunt she pulled to appear relatable to black people by parroting a dated and inaccurate, although mostly harmless stereotype.

See also: white people who inexplicably hate mayonnaise, and white people who listen to "real hip hop".

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Idk but cum, now thats delicious

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ve never eaten anything I need to know the Scoville units of.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I think this only happens in Iowa, op where things like marshmallows and the Iowa chop are considered very spicy.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Demonstrative excess does seem to be a core american trait. Why should spices be excluded from that?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you think jalapenos aren't spicy you've never bitten into a fresh one with the seeds still in, that poo poo can be absolutely murderous

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I don't think anyone equates spicy with flavor but I will say there are many people who think that eating spicy food makes them cultured. It doesn't.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ape Fist posted:

From Hillary Clinton carrying around Hot Sauce in her handback, allegedly, to Americans just growing ghost chillis and eating them raw, the American brain seems to equate basically causing the inside of your mouth as much discomfort as possible with flavour.

But wait, you might think, Ape Fist, you loving stupid idiot brained loving child, are you saying you don't like hot food?

No. I actually love hot foods, from chillis to curries, I love getting my mouth punched out by a good blast of Vindaloo. But I don't need to add it to everything. In my uncultured European brain I can eat very mildly seasoned European foods one day, and heavily spiced Indian foods the next. But I don't think, because I don't have the brain of a child, that one of these things has more 'flavour' than the other.

So why do Americans absolutely constantly attempt to mog eachother by adding unnecessarily overly hot things to dishes which weren't designed to accomodate them in the first place?

Also 'Jalapinos' aren't hot I don't know why some people think they are.

edit: I know I misspelled Scoville.

The point of super hot hot sauces is to use less of it so your food doesn't taste overpoweringly of vinegar.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Yah, as some have mentioned, your normal American doesn't equate taste to Scolvile units. Like, where are you getting your research from? Hot Ones? Or YouTube challenges?

There are so many HOT HOT sauces that are just fire and taste like poo poo.

But yeah, again as mentioned you have those people that are like I only eat ghost peppers that are covered in ghost pepper sauce, and then set on fire. And they're stupid as poo poo. I'M GOING TO ADD 10 DROPS OF PURE CAPSICUM OIL!!!!

Jalapenos, are meh, they can carry a decent heat.. nothing to make you scream. Habaneros can be a bit spicy, but have a great flavor. One of the best salsas I ever had was habanero/mango. That was delicious.

Anyone that is trying to make like 6-alarm chili is just gimmick cooking.
I've definitely made some chili that was too loving spicy. And I ate it, cause I don't like to waste food. and it was horrible and sucked, and my butthole was a ring of fire for a few days.

e- as someone mentioned, if you keep the seeds in, it can be stupid hot, but remove the seeds and the fruity flavor can definitely come out, especially habaneros

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 30, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

best post I have seen in years!

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
what about stuff that's spicy even though it doesn't have capsaicin, like cinammon or garlic? what about that op?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Brother Tadger posted:

Why do Europeans like to talk about “Americans” as if we are some singular entity?

Come on, there are roughly 450 million Europeans (EU zone plus extras), but only 330 million USians. We're a clear minority and the Luxembourgers are justified in stereotyping us.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gleebster posted:

Come on, there are roughly 450 million Europeans (EU zone plus extras), but only 330 million USians. We're a clear minority and the Luxembourgers are justified in stereotyping us.

yeah! How do you feel about things?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
scoville is such made up arbitrary bs of a scale

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
scoville units are the "meyers briggs personality test" of food attribute measurements, in that it sounds vaguely scientific enough for people and marketers to lend it far too much credence and continually spread it further, shoring up the illusion of legitimacy.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Khanstant posted:

scoville is such made up arbitrary bs of a scale

it is way less scientific than i thought, i thought they measured the concentration of capsaicin or something. nope they just dilute a sample in water and get some spiciness experts to judge how spicy it is

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

take this poll to find out your scolvile score

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pac and Cheese posted:

it is way less scientific than i thought, i thought they measured the concentration of capsaicin or something. nope they just dilute a sample in water and get some spiciness experts to judge how spicy it is

they make homeopathic hot sauce sugar water more and more diluted until someone's like okay i can't taste it

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's kinda funny how OP was making fun of the stupid dick measuring contests people do about tolerating spiciness, and then turns right around and does it himself by saying jalapenos aren't spicy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jalapeno leaves are not spicy

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wash my face in Carolina reapers because I can no longer fight bears to prove my manliness and no one believes I could punch clear through a black bear skull if I only had the chance please validate me.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Lol I bet op is a lil bitch who can't handle the mildest Cholula hot sauce on anything

Related, chipotle Cholula on gumbo is awesome

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i limit what level of spicy i can eat by whether or not my body decides to give me hiccups. as far as i can tell it's arbitrary. ive had spicy stuff that makes your whole face sweat, eyes water, and lips burn and you get that really dope like numb tingly feeling after a bit and the whole thing feels like a rush and your mouth and lips just burn for a while. i get why folks hate that but there's a time and place for it and i'm into it.

unless i get hiccups and then i'm out. it's hard to eat or drink while hiccuping and i ain't wanna choke and get spicy lungs. they are also annoying, you can't stop em or hold it in, your body just does it without even the illusion of free will like everything else it does by itself. i just don't get why sometimes some whacky carolina reaper juice I can eat just fine, but then some other time i eat three hot cheetoes and suddenly get hiccups??

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm torn between mocking OP for being dumb and my solemn vow to never defend the honor of America

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

americans like to cook things for 28 hours, slice everything real thin and then stack it all up again (???), and make dishes 50% sugar by volume

i dont get it either man

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

very good point chomsky. friends, we got an an intellectual here, break out the leather armchairs

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pac and Cheese posted:

it's a little scientific. they dilute it until a reference expert can't tell from a double-blind.

and it's because the US was founded when the European Minimalist culinary school was riding high. see, everyone thought the classy thing to do was not spice your foods because peasants could get spices now due to global trade networks. rule one of being rich is don't do what peasants do and rule one of being a peasant is try to emulate the rich so everyone was eating garbage. unfortunately this was a foundational time for both the US and Britain, which is also why british traditional dishes are all flavourless

so the us didn't have a culture in the same way, say, india, has of really great seasoning. so the first thing they came across that was a little bit different took root like an introduced invasive weed, or smallpox or alcohol might with a native people who haven't had a biological or cultural foundation for dealing with it. for example.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
It's because Scoville units are a number, and our obsession with capitalism means that every single aspect of human existence must be quantified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

sudonim posted:

Lol I bet op is a lil bitch who can't handle the mildest Cholula hot sauce on anything

Related, chipotle Cholula on gumbo is awesome

I like it on eggs. I have no idea of the OP.