Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Besides, why would you even put an LS in anything when the Ford Barra is the clearly superior choice and is certainly as available worldwide as they are in Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

i feel as though there's no interest in the project as it stands, i'll let the thread die for now and will resurrect it when i put my "5th" powertrain in, as long as it a v8

Nah don't do that. :justpost:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

i couldn't find a drop in ls motor with trans for less than £15k

all-in, the f20 swap has cost me less than £4k

i re-sold most of the EV swap parts and came close to breaking even

i feel as though there's no interest in the project as it stands, i'll let the thread die for now and will resurrect it when i put my "5th" powertrain in, as long as it a v8

Honestly I'm an LS guy and I understand your reasoning for not using an LS. I would, but I don't already own an LS sports car like you do.

I also didn't realize that F20C packages were that much cheaper than aluminum LS in the UK, which is a huge point in its favor. I'm not sure I would go that route, but LS grows both on trees and in ditches here, so it's not really a fair comparison. I think the F20C will be cool, for what it's worth. Maybe kind of like building yourself an s2k instead of building yourself a second Corvette, but I mean, I sank 4k into building essentially the same thing as a SASed Sierra 1500 (but much less comfortable) over the course of several years, I can't judge you here.

Build it how you want, gently caress the naysayers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IIRC in his first thread he had a hard time sourcing an LS and they were ridiculously expensive so i don't blame him in the least.

If he was in the states he could have gone and got a junkyard truck motor cheap but that's not the case, he's in the UK.

Coulda shoulda woulda, he found a good motor for his situation, and it's a unique swap lets appreciate it for what it is. Please don't close the tread OP.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Please don't close the tread OP.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012
LS swaps have been done to death, this is more entertaining, and, to me, fits the spirit of the rx7 better anyway

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Pancakes posted:

LS swaps have been done to death, this is more entertaining, and, to me, fits the spirit of the rx7 better anyway

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Revvy RX7 but without having to worry about a spinnyboi? Makes perfect sense to me.

I'd love to be able to drive a rotary, an F20 and a V8 one back to back though to see what the weight in the front does to the handling.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
The best AI threads are the engine swaps that make people say, “what!?”. I never have anything to say, but I love reading them.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Also enjoying the thread

:justpost:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

IIRC in his first thread he had a hard time sourcing an LS and they were ridiculously expensive so i don't blame him in the least.

If he was in the states he could have gone and got a junkyard truck motor cheap but that's not the case, he's in the UK.

Coulda shoulda woulda, he found a good motor for his situation, and it's a unique swap lets appreciate it for what it is. Please don't close the tread OP.

There was an episode of Mighty Car Mods (or one of their friends' channels) a while back where they explained why they were using a Toyota V-8 for their engine swap instead of an LS and it was basically:
  1. An LS is much more expensive/more difficult to find in Australia
  2. LS is too high of displacement to register the car they were putting it into for safety or emissions reasons or something
  3. A huge amount of LS specific parts aren't available locally and would have to be purchased from the States which is expensive and time consuming

I feel like us Americans have enough trouble grasping the first point that the other two are just completely foreign concepts. For much of the world an LS swap is like using some weird BMW engine that was only produced for one year or if you were trying to take a Rolls Royce Merlin and cram that into a car. It can be done but its a colossal pain in the rear end.

And that's beside the point that the OP already has a car that drives like a Corvette. Its a Corvette.

Edit: While trying to find the keyboard shortcut to make a list, I found the shortcut to :justpost:

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 24, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Yeah, and that's in Australia, where LS cars exist in decentish numbers, very much unlike the UK. Just had a look here in NZ, where we share in Australia's comparative wealth, and apart from a few bare LS1 engines for NZ$5-6k, most LS and gearbox packages are NZ$10k-20k.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve been asking and wondering why people aren’t 2JZ everything.

I personally am bored to death with LS swaps and I’ve never done one!

In the US as you know there are LS motors everywhere.

Love this thread and can’t wait to see more (and I know there is no way you are cramming a giant 2JZ in that Mazda)

casque
Mar 17, 2009

i couldn't find a drop in ls motor with trans for less than £15k

all-in, the f20 swap has cost me less than £4k

i re-sold most of the EV swap parts and came close to breaking even

I enjoy your thread and hope you'll keep posting your awesome project.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Keeping it in the Honda family, I think K20 or K24 would be neat. Bit newer design and plenty of them in the UK market, can be tuned easily for extra oomph.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Awww, I was genuinely interested in seeing a EV swapped FD.

Def not interested in Yet Another lovely V8 swap.

everdave posted:

Love this thread and can’t wait to see more (and I know there is no way you are cramming a giant 2JZ in that Mazda)

I recommend a Google on that one. There's even kits to do it! And also having a look..... welp yep somene's Barra swapped a FC RX7.

Jokes aside, just post. Dont give one second of a gently caress about what people think - Do what you want to do. Like eg no one really cares about the Forester monster coming together (People would rather see the AWD BRZ, it's doing a AMSAG test day in a couple of weeks time now the motor is back together) but gently caress it I'll post anyway. Eventually. Maybe tomorrow. That fuel tank and the multiple fuel pumps eaten was some frustrating poo poo. Anyway, just post.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

casque posted:

I enjoy your thread and hope you'll keep posting your awesome project.

Please come back, P&C, I always enjoy your content.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What it needs is a Barra 6, so this is the right choice

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Cat Pancakes posted:

This! F20 is a cool choice that I've not seen done before and I'd really like to see how it turns out!