Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I would very much like the names of anyone that enjoys that particular audio.

We have a white van ready to drive them to uh... a lovely vacation. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So, based off what Ncuti said in a recent RT interview, and how the current back to back filming is shaking out, it’s very possible that he may do 4 seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

So, based off what Ncuti said in a recent RT interview, and how the current back to back filming is shaking out, it’s very possible that he may do 4 seasons.

And then another 6 after that? :shobon:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

We have a white van ready to drive them to uh... a lovely vacation. :)

Peter Davison driving the van, shaking his head and muttering all the way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

It's a laugh. There are worse stories.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We last had a half a full season more than ten years and four doctors ago.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which is the bit that's the biggest laugh, the attempted/implied sexual assault or the doctor getting his head torn off and his body eaten?

I'll defend a lot of early Big Finish experiments but big old nope to that one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:stare:

There is a lot of Big Finish and then there are novels and comics so I can't argue with the second sentence, at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Which is the bit that's the biggest laugh, the attempted/implied sexual assault or the doctor getting his head torn off and his body eaten?

I mean obviously the latter, partly because it's ridiculous but particularly because you've got the Wicked Witch Of The West cackling in the background screaming camp nonsense like "feed my sisters, feed!" followed by an immediate segue into an anodyne sequence where the Doctor hangs out at the cricket. And partly because you're asking me to pick between comically extreme ultraviolence and sexual assault, which seems a little loaded and unfair as far as questions go.

The whole story is so try hard and edgy as poo poo that it often wraps back around to being funny. Not always, sure, but these aren't things I think Doctor Who can't, shouldn't and hasn't tackled at one point or another (Caves Of Androzani, The Time Meddler, etc.) This story at least gets that sexual assault is wrong -- I've talked before about how bad Black And White is about this, but you've also got Torchwood's Everything Changes and probably other examples i can't remember -- so the worst I can really say about the story's presentation of triggering material is that it's in bad taste and kind of shallow.

I mean, it's not got a moral that's actively repellent, like Flip Flop or Exile, or pretty much any BF story that's dealing with race and doesn't happen to feature Benny and/or the David Warner Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I mean obviously the latter, partly because it's ridiculous but particularly because you've got the Wicked Witch Of The West cackling in the background screaming camp nonsense like "feed my sisters, feed!" followed by an immediate segue into an anodyne sequence where the Doctor hangs out at the cricket. And partly because you're asking me to pick between comically extreme ultraviolence and sexual assault, which seems a little loaded and unfair as far as questions go.

The whole story is so try hard and edgy as poo poo that it often wraps back around to being funny. Not always, sure, but these aren't things I think Doctor Who can't, shouldn't and hasn't tackled at one point or another (Caves Of Androzani, The Time Meddler, etc.) This story at least gets that sexual assault is wrong -- I've talked before about how bad Black And White is about this, but you've also got Torchwood's Everything Changes and probably other examples i can't remember -- so the worst I can really say about the story's presentation of triggering material is that it's in bad taste and kind of shallow.

I mean, it's not got a moral that's actively repellent, like Flip Flop or Exile, or pretty much any BF story that's dealing with race and doesn't happen to feature Benny and/or the David Warner Doctor.

Well yes, it was absolutely a loaded question and I didn't really expect you to pick one, I thought it was pretty clearly a rhetorical device.

Everything Changes is bloody awful in that regard as well, for sure and I'd be surprised to find anyone saying they liked it. Making one of your leads use alien tech to coerce people into sex was for sure maybe the worst thing RTD has written.

And agreed, Who should be capable of tackling things like this. The edgelordery I guess makes it fun for you but I loving despise it, THAT'S the part that makes it not fit into what I want out of Who really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

This story at least gets that sexual assault is wrong -- I've talked before about how bad Black And White is about this, but you've also got Torchwood's Everything Changes and probably other examples i can't remember

Black and White the 7/Ace/Hex story? I don't remember sexual assault in that one but it's been a decade since I listened.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I getcha. I reckon edge, even ridiculously comical edginess, has a place in Who though.

There's that RTD story about space cocaine where everyone who snorted the stuff has their head pop off and roll around London, gathering litter like snowballs, until they build a giant proto version of the CyberKing from that Jackson Lake special RTD would later go on to write. I find it hard not to laugh at stuff like that, because it's such an over the top antidrugs polemic: if you snort coke your head will explode and steal a car and become a Transformer. This is your brain on drugszszs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Black and White the 7/Ace/Hex story? I don't remember sexual assault in that one but it's been a decade since I listened.

Ace is almost assulated by Beowulf, and has to literally fight him off with a sword. Then later she has a line about how "he's actually a good guy".

No Ace, he's a rapist.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ace is almost assulated by Beowulf, and has to literally fight him off with a sword. Then later she has a line about how "he's actually a good guy".

No Ace, he's a rapist.

I think I missed this when I was listening to it on a plane. Like I remember that audio and I don't remember that moment.

I had this kneejerk where I was like "Well, maybe she's just acknowledging the historical context" or whatever but it's loving Doctor Who, lol. The whole idea is people pushing back against cruelty no matter what time period it is or what the social norms are. Also, that kind of thing is deeply unpleasant to listen to on a radio drama and it's not like it's saying anything poignant.

I think I disagree with Open Source Idiom on Nekro, though. The writer is getting off on it, so whether or not he agrees that sexual assault is bad, he's really definitely playing out his fantasies about it for everyone to hear. And yeah, it can fun to laugh at tryhard stuff, but not in this case, maybe? It dwells on the unpleasant stuff a little too deeply.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Continuing the rewatch, belatedly realising i won't be done in time for the new series... but then maybe it'll take long enough that I can BINGE the new series!

Army Of Ghosts / Doomsday
My big takeaway when I watched this live was "the Jackie/Pete stuff was a story arc? with a happy ending?!" I wasn't expecting that in a million years. The reveal of the Ark being bigger on the inside was a very satisfying "right under your nose" moment.

Steven Moffat had a quite nice line once along the lines of "the plot doesn't have to make sense as long as the poetry makes sense" which the climax of this episode put me in mind of. Pete appearing out of nowhere to grab Rose doesn't make any sense plot wise- they can't monitor one universe from another- but the poetry of it really works. This universe's Pete knew he'd never be a good father to Rose and the best thing he could do would be to die for her, other universe Pete denied Rose because she's not his daughter and he never knew her. But in the end, when she needed it most, her dad was there for her.
Mickey's really good in these episodes. When the Daleks notice Rose's heart beats faster when she thinks of the Doctor and Mickey just wryly says "tell me about it" was a nice little coda to their time together. He's grown up and moved on.
All of this I care more about than the final scene where they say goodbye on the beach. Maybe I'm just getting older, but a 20 year old declaring her love doesn't do it for me. You're 20! Sorry!

The Runaway Bride
ha, I was really embarrassed by the Racnoss Queen hamming it up when I watched this live with my family. I enjoy how much fun she's having, and her weird twisted version of a Doctor/companion relationship with Lance. She's a bit Slitheenesque in that she's not just an evil alien doing evil things but she's also a complete rear end in a top hat.
It's cool that the weird huon particle stuff wasn't just a one-off thing to get Donna on the Tardis but got used again to summon the Tardis to them, and then again via force-feeding the particles to Lance to summon them back. If you've got a huon particle hanging up on the wall, make sure it goes off in the third act.
Heart goes out to Donna when, even after the humiliation and horrors Lance put her through, she can't bring herself to think he deserved to die.

"Am I ever gonna see you again?"
"If I'm lucky." 🥲

Smith and Jones
I instantly love Martha, as does the Doctor(hearing that she seems to have had an encounter with his future self probably helps). There's a couple of bits where he asks her to reason something out or expects her to intuit what his plan is and go with it, reminds me of how Matt Smith would later "audition" Clara in The Snowmen.
It's a shame how much Rose ends up coming up, but I saw someone make a good point that to probably most of the show's viewers the last two series had been The Rose Show. It might weird them out for her to just be totally gone, so I guess the decision was made to have her haunt it. Still a bum note as far as I'm concerned. But then, what if the new companion hadn't been a character as strong as Martha?

The Shakespeare Code
I used to be annoyed by the repeated joke of quoting Shakespeare and having him decide it was a good line, but they riff on it enough that I came around to liking it, like him deciding "to be or not to be" is a bit pretentious, and the ending one where he decides he likes the word "Sycorax" and the Doctor quips that he should get a fee.

Gareth Roberts referencing JK Rowling sure doesn't go down like it used to, eh?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've come around on the Racnoss Queen. She fits the material.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"....fifty-seven academics just punched the air." is still a great joke.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

SirSamVimes posted:

I forgot this one, and thanks for making me watch that scene again.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Fil5000 posted:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I was going to post this then assumed that everyone else would think I was mad

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They finally got a budget worth more than a dozen eggs and a spare spoon, let's see some great stuff!

Want this Dr. Who run to be more amazing than amazing itself.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The Last Call posted:

They finally got a budget worth more than a dozen eggs and a spare spoon, let's see some great stuff!

Want this Dr. Who run to be more amazing than amazing itself.

I would like to see the biregeneration done as they would have had to in 1989, which I imagine would just look like a three-legged potato race that slowly shook the bag off.

I want to see them carry that scene with the force of acting alone!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

McGann posted:

I would like to see the biregeneration done as they would have had to in 1989, which I imagine would just look like a three-legged potato race that slowly shook the bag off.

I want to see them carry that scene with the force of acting alone!

Why am I imagining this playing out like the bit in Army Of Darkness where the bad Ash grows out of the good Ash

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It'd all be behind a screen happening in silhouette

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It would just be some version of both of them looking like this for a minute:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bi-generation has to be how The Valeyard came into existence

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

Maybe that's who the Meep was referring to in her ominous tease?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe that's who the Meep was referring to in Meep's ominous tease?

ftfy

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03XXW1pLQ4

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Everyone always thinks it's the Valeyard.

And that's because it's such an obvious go to as the big villain that it's weird that the Valeyard hasn't come back in the revival.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Does Davis even like the Valeyard?

There was one showrunner who was confirmed to not be a fan of the concept. Might have been Moffat.

A pity as an evil Dr. really has so much potential.

Course some say that's exactly what the Master is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Last Call posted:

There was one showrunner who was confirmed to not be a fan of the concept. Might have been Moffat.

The Master is a way more interesting idea than "what if the doctor was bad". Which is why the Valeyard rarely gains much traction.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Last Call posted:

Moffat did the Dreamlord, which was basically the same thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Last Call posted:

Evil Doctor can go a lot more interesting places than having a plan to conquor the universe like the Master, who is at their most interesting when defined in their relationship with the Doctor. The Valeyard could be a Doctor who has abandoned trying for peaceful solutions, the storm that was oncoming but has now arrived. Or a Doctor that's decided that time needs a lord after all to keep things proper. Or a Doctor who has just given up and wants their own peaceful corner of the universe no matter the cost. And of course, the Valeyard would always be manipulating their own timeline to insure own existence.

The Valeyard raises the question, "What happened to the Doctor to make them change so much?" That might be a bit pat to have it be one singular event, but it's narratively convenient.

Basically, you've got a ton of options for telling a story about the Doctor who stopped being the Doctor. Which makes it weird that the show hasn't tapped that. Not that I think season 1/14/40's big villain is going to be the Valeyard, that doesn't make a lot of sense given the more mystical vibe they're leaning into for the season. Just that I think they'll eventually use the concept.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Don't know what Moffat thinks of the Valeyard, but he's mentioned the character twice in his run, both times in terms of the Doctor's legacy. Both the Great Intelligence and the Testament mention it as one of the names the Doctor will be known by in the future

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I didn't remember the Great Intelligence mentioning it, but I remember the Testament calls him "the Shadow of the Valeyard".

Random Stranger posted:

Evil Doctor can go a lot more interesting places than having a plan to conquor the universe like the Master, who is at their most interesting when defined in their relationship with the Doctor. The Valeyard could be a Doctor who has abandoned trying for peaceful solutions, the storm that was oncoming but has now arrived. Or a Doctor that's decided that time needs a lord after all to keep things proper. Or a Doctor who has just given up and wants their own peaceful corner of the universe no matter the cost. And of course, the Valeyard would always be manipulating their own timeline to insure own existence.

The Valeyard raises the question, "What happened to the Doctor to make them change so much?" That might be a bit pat to have it be one singular event, but it's narratively convenient.

Basically, you've got a ton of options for telling a story about the Doctor who stopped being the Doctor. Which makes it weird that the show hasn't tapped that. Not that I think season 1/14/40's big villain is going to be the Valeyard, that doesn't make a lot of sense given the more mystical vibe they're leaning into for the season. Just that I think they'll eventually use the concept.

Did Big Finish or other expanded universe stuff do any interesting takes on this front? It sounds rad. I think I remember hearing they had an AU what-if-the-Doctor-just-used-murder-to-solve-his-problems story, but I don't think that was Valeyard-related.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

New Disney Princess debuted at Disney Springs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I didn't remember the Great Intelligence mentioning it, but I remember the Testament calls him "the Shadow of the Valeyard".

Did Big Finish or other expanded universe stuff do any interesting takes on this front? It sounds rad. I think I remember hearing they had an AU what-if-the-Doctor-just-used-murder-to-solve-his-problems story, but I don't think that was Valeyard-related.

They did some Valeyard stories (in Unbound especially), there's the "time lord victorious" stuff (i.e. What if Tennant didn't realise his bloviating in Water of Mars was a bad thing)... There's Full Fathom Five which has another take on a similar sort of idea which might be what you were referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

They did some Valeyard stories (in Unbound especially), there's the "time lord victorious" stuff (i.e. What if Tennant didn't realise his bloviating in Water of Mars was a bad thing)... There's Full Fathom Five which has another take on a similar sort of idea which might be what you were referring to

The notable Unbound story is the Valeyard wins the trial and then becomes a dictator which is kind of blah. The Last Adventure gives the Valeyard a backstory that is kind of boring: he's a CIA weapon that could be any Time Lord.