Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Only good in martinis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

redshirt posted:

Only good part of martinis

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I have an olive tree in my yard that drops a ton of those oily fuckers all over the deck every fall. Last October I decided to finally try curing a jar of them, 40 or 50 small green olives (no idea what kind). I put them in some brine, you’re supposed to change the brine once a month. I ate one a few weeks ago. They’re still hard and bitter but they taste and smell like they are on their way to becoming proper olives. I think I’ll let them keep mellowing until the new crop is ready to pick, so approximately one year. If the ones in my jar turn out to be tasty I’m going to do a lot more next time.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ralph Hurley posted:

I have an olive tree in my yard that drops a ton of those oily fuckers all over the deck every fall. Last October I decided to finally try curing a jar of them, 40 or 50 small green olives (no idea what kind). I put them in some brine, you’re supposed to change the brine once a month. I ate one a few weeks ago. They’re still hard and bitter but they taste and smell like they are on their way to becoming proper olives. I think I’ll let them keep mellowing until the new crop is ready to pick, so approximately one year. If the ones in my jar turn out to be tasty I’m going to do a lot more next time.

My only question is what took you so long to start

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

you could be selling aged olives in SAMart by now if you'd not looked your gift horse in the mouth

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Slam Pajamas posted:

Olive oil was used to light lamps back in ye olde bronze age, has anybody tried lighting them on fire now? Perhaps as some kind of flaming drink gimmick, it's worth a shot

Often they are too wet, but if you need an emergency flaming torch, a Cheeto will burn for a surprisingly long time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The flamin' hot treat they don't want you to know about

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Smugworth posted:

My only question is what took you so long to start

Because I’m a literal dumbass and it didn’t occur to me I could do that. I assumed olives was a complex process, not “put these in salt water”

Also the tree seemed like it was dying when I first moved here 12 years ago. It was a tangle of dead branches. I started cutting the dead stuff off little by little and it stared getting new growth. I think it’s a healthy tree now and I get the reap the olives.🫒

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i snack on olives stuffed with little flamin hot cheetos

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
There is a place to buy fancy olives like 45 minutes south of me I think it's basically the entire reason that the city of Corning exists because holy poo poo, you wanna see some depressing rear end sights you drive through the city of Corning and wonder how anyone could loving live there

Buce
Dec 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

R.L. Stine posted:

now i love to have olives at night time crouched in front of the fridge like gollum

prob the best way to eat olives

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dry cured olives are better than brined IMO
The best olives I ever had were made buy some guy I used to work with that just had a tree in his backyard and cured them in salt every season

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

hmm wouldn't trust an olive from a stranger tbqh

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica
I love pimento olives. just tonguing out that olive clit

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I love olives. I keep looking for tapenade at stores but I can never find any. I guess maybe I'll make some since it doesn't seem too complicated

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

R.L. Stine posted:

What if it was...from a friend?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

I'm always eating olives of unknown provenance

An old lady of some unspecified relation to my wife gave us a jar of home cured olives at a funeral the other day, they're great

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hell yeah I love funeral olives

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

EoinCannon posted:

I'm always eating olives of unknown provenance

An old lady of some unspecified relation to my wife gave us a jar of home cured olives at a funeral the other day, they're great

What in tarnation

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Having some Greek salad.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Hell yeah I love funeral olives

Ancient Greeks thought that olives were the souls of slain heroes reincarnated on earth

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bought some Turkish olives today to go with my falafel and man! So good! Almost this aged cheese sort of flavor? Fantastic.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Escape From Noise posted:

What if it was...from a friend?

Aye, that I can do

*pulls down pants*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Escape From Noise posted:

Bought some Turkish olives today to go with my falafel and man! So good! Almost this aged cheese sort of flavor? Fantastic.

what if you put a turkish olive into a turkish delight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

turkish disgusting