Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

cams posted:

The new layout for Nerdist podcasts is loving HORSESHIT.

I agree with you ten billion percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant Kingdom
Mar 12, 2007

cams posted:

I completely agree. It's loving confusing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, the layout's absolute poo poo.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Goddamn. Today is Anthony Bourdain, Wednesday is Morgan Freeman, Friday is Tom Cruise, and next Monday is Jonah Hill.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have no idea how The Nerdist has this much clout.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Lionsgate owns them so they use it as a platform to promote their own stuff.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Morgan Freeman and then Tom Cruise? Jesus Christ.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Combo of Lion's Gate owning them and Chris being a legit well liked guy that everyone knows is going to be a positive interview experience. It's a pretty strong mix to appeal to big names.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't remember where I read it but someone mentioned Nerdist turning into the E! for trendy nerds and it's really looking that way, it's become another press stop for celebrites like Reddit AMAs have become. They're even recording Nerdist episodes (or used to?) in the E! building

Not necessarily a bad thing at all, these are some awesome guests and complaining about selling out is such a dumb and weird argument, but it takes away some of the soul of genuinely convincing guests to come over like the cute letter they sent Tom Hanks etc. On the plus side there's going to be a whole slew of pretty cool guests coming on on a regular basis.

If Morgan Freeman didn't have Transcendence coming out and Tom Cruise with the Edge of Tomorrow these guests would probably take some convincing. Especially Tom Cruise I would imagine.

e: On second thought not really sure what I'm talking about in this post, cool guests are cool guests.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think there's a bit of a snowball effect. As they get good guests it makes the show more acceptable to other big guests. Combine that with the necessity to promote summer blockbusters and a host that people seem to like talking to and boom goes the dynamite.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The only real problem I have with the big guests thing is that they never want to step on any toes so the interviews generally feel like longer versions of what you'd see on Entertainment Tonight, when it comes to the A-list guests. Not that I expect Hardwick to corner Tom Cruise about Scientology or anything but I know going into that episode that there will just be a lot of "What was it like working with so and so?" "Oh, they're great, just totally great" type of poo poo and that bores the hell out of me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Berzerker posted:

The only real problem I have with the big guests thing is that they never want to step on any toes so the interviews generally feel like longer versions of what you'd see on Entertainment Tonight, when it comes to the A-list guests. Not that I expect Hardwick to corner Tom Cruise about Scientology or anything but I know going into that episode that there will just be a lot of "What was it like working with so and so?" "Oh, they're great, just totally great" type of poo poo and that bores the hell out of me.

I agree. Episodes like this just remind me of the DVD extras where "behind the scenes" interviews are just circle jerks.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Nerdist is a legit production/development company now. About 8 months ago I did a run to a space they just started renting. There was only one guy and his assistant at the time, but the place had two stages and enough space for 200 workers.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't remember where I read it but someone mentioned Nerdist turning into the E! for trendy nerds and it's really looking that way, it's become another press stop for celebrites like Reddit AMAs have become. They're even recording Nerdist episodes (or used to?) in the E! building

They recorded at some pretty much unused radio space in the E! building because if I remember right Chris had a friend or was still working for the parent company so they got the space free.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

That would be pretty boring but I guess Chris Hardwick would be way more into discussing Cruise's work ethic and stuff like that.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Geekslinger posted:

Lionsgate owns them so they use it as a platform to promote their own stuff.

Legendary Pictures.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They recorded at some pretty much unused radio space in the E! building because if I remember right Chris had a friend or was still working for the parent company so they got the space free.

A bunch of them worked at G4 and Jonnah wrote on The Soup.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I got through the first 20 minutes of the Morgan Freeman interview and am proud of myself for achieving that much.

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

I got through the first 20 minutes of the Morgan Freeman interview and am proud of myself for achieving that much.

I got through the whole thing, mostly because I was stuck in traffic in a packed bus. Who knew Morgan Freeman could be so uninteresting? I mean, I listened to an entire podcast of the sidekick from icarly or whatever and she seemed to have better stories than such an important acting figure as Freeman; that was dissapointing.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
No comment

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

radlum posted:

I got through the whole thing, mostly because I was stuck in traffic in a packed bus. Who knew Morgan Freeman could be so uninteresting? I mean, I listened to an entire podcast of the sidekick from icarly or whatever and she seemed to have better stories than such an important acting figure as Freeman; that was dissapointing.

I think it's one of those things where they unfortunately get someone in straight PR Mode. Publicist set it up, Freeman obviously knows nothing about the show. It's like Woody Harrelson's Reddit AMA all over again.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
On the other hand Tom Cruise was great as expected. Im hyped about his new movie also, although sadly the chances of me finding the time to see it in the theaters are slim.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, it was pretty good. He gave some PR answers ("I watch all kind of movies" "I listen to all types of music"), but was very entertaining and interesting.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
You can immediately tell people that understand what the podcast is and get into it vs the standard PR answer ones. Luckily the latter is actually quite rare on the nerdist.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I thought Jamie King was super interesting. Freeman aside I can't think of a miss they've had recently.

I can understand why they're leaning heavily on entertainment guests but it'd be nice if they threw in a more interesting/nerdy guest more often like the linguist who invented the Game of Thrones languages.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

radlum posted:

Yeah, it was pretty good. He gave some PR answers ("I watch all kind of movies" "I listen to all types of music"), but was very entertaining and interesting.
I listened to the interview today and I have no idea why he was dodging those questions. I mean that's basic stuff, I'm not sure why he would feel the need to give PR babble on that.

Although he did later admit that he was a big fan of Shaun of the Dead and pushed for Abrams to cast Simon Pegg in the last MI film.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

cams posted:

Just wanted to bump this thread by reiterating this fact. The only Nerdist show I listen to on the regular any more is You Made It Weird, so every Wednesday I am reminded of the fact that this is one of the worst layouts for a well funded website I have ever seen.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

cams posted:

Just wanted to bump this thread by reiterating this fact. The only Nerdist show I listen to on the regular any more is You Made It Weird, so every Wednesday I am reminded of the fact that this is one of the worst layouts for a well funded website I have ever seen.

I still agree with you ten billion percent.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Point an aggregator (like feedly) at the RSS feed () and you'll never have to visit nerdist.com again.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 5, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I use itunes but it's the same thing. If I had to manually download all my podcasts I would forget half of them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Well thanks to Eli Roth I've learned that most actors are petty assholes*. Not that I didn't realise that already but now I'm wondering who it was in the Cabin Fever cast who was getting all the close ups, and which actress was trying to sabotage the other one. I hope they get Roth on again, or he has his own podcast. I could've done without the chipping in with jokes while he was telling his Fatty Arbuckle story.

*Except Keanu Reeves.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I am surprised how interesting the Eli Roth episode was. I had always thought he was creepy guy but turned out to be quite interesting. Also, I had no idea Todd Glass is gay.

I dislike Matt Mira and the comic con episodes just augment that towards hate

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I liked the Eli Roth episode too, and I didn't know if I would. Great storyteller. He definitely overuses the phrase "it's so fun" though, he says everything in the world is or was fun.

I'm about halfway through the SDCC episode and I really do not understand why they have Kyle in the room, or give him a microphone. I don't need to hear his garbage laugh all day.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Totally. I am convinced he laughs extra hard when he's off mic so he can be in the podcast

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Totally. I am convinced he laughs extra hard when he's off mic so he can be in the podcast

I've tuned out of several times because of this. I don't even know why he's in the room.

I'm having trouble coming up with a reason to keep listening lately because the subject matter is all over the place. If you are going to be a podcast for nerds and nerd related material, file. Lately is seems to be mostly about the stand up comedy industry or a chance for someone to plug a book or movie.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

I'm about halfway through the SDCC episode and I really do not understand why they have Kyle in the room, or give him a microphone. I don't need to hear his garbage laugh all day.

Its a bit he and Chris worked out on the podcast a week or so ago to piss off the "sister-wives".

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Chris has mentioned a couple of times that Kyle's main job is to write down any funny anecdotes or bits that come up in the podcast for Chris to possibly expand on in his stand-up.

There have been a lot of plugs and stuff coming up recently because this is movie season and all. Gotta keep that parent company happy with their Nerdist investment.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Geekslinger posted:

Chris has mentioned a couple of times that Kyle's main job is to write down any funny anecdotes or bits that come up in the podcast for Chris to possibly expand on in his stand-up.

There have been a lot of plugs and stuff coming up recently because this is movie season and all. Gotta keep that parent company happy with their Nerdist investment.

Didn't he also mention that he has never looked at Kyle's notes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Geekslinger posted:

You know what he should do? Record the show. That way he could listen to it later and pick out those bits again! I'm a genius!

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Bonzo posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with a reason to keep listening lately because the subject matter is all over the place. If you are going to be a podcast for nerds and nerd related material, file. Lately is seems to be mostly about the stand up comedy industry or a chance for someone to plug a book or movie.

??? The Nerdist podcast has always had stand up comedy at its core. All three hosts have done regular stand-up tours, and Chris's roots are in stand-up comedy.

P much all the guests in the early days were stand-up comedians. I'm glad it's actually come back to more people who have a career in comedy, since Chris tends to have more chemistry with them than the A-list actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ok. I've only listened for a few months but I guess I joined right when it was more "nerdy" subjects in a row

• Locked thread