Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aphrodite posted:

I'm saying the opposite, actually. Despite not processing commands on the cloud it still sends data about which ones you're using to Microsoft. Which would be the main argument people would use against cloud processing if it were a thing.

The Kinect doesn't interpret commands like Siri or Google Now do though. It just has a rigid list it understands.
They're called Metrics. Just about every game with a web connection (which is almost all of them) sends back (depersonalized) metrics, so that we can release silly stats like that, or figure out what features people are using. There are very strict rules about what we can do with the data, and the depersonalization bit is particularly important. So we store "somebody used a feature at X time" instead of "Bob used the feature at X time."

FULL DISCLOSURE: My game that will hit the XB One in about a year will probably report back to me how many times you shoot your gun, and which ammo types you use. OMG, THE HUMANITY! SUMMON THE PRESSES! :aaa:

EDIT: and if you played Jones On Fire on your mobile device, you told me how many kitties you saved per session (though I didn't know who you were, I just got back a "some dude saved X kitties" message). THE HORROR! :aaaaa:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

They're called Metrics. Just about every game with a web connection (which is almost all of them) sends back (depersonalized) metrics, so that we can release silly stats like that, or figure out what features people are using.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My game that will hit the XB One in about a year will probably report back to me how many times you shoot your gun, and which ammo types you use. OMG, THE HUMANITY! SUMMON THE PRESSES! :aaa:

If you played Jones On Fire on your mobile device, you told me how many kitties you saved per session. THE HORROR! :aaaaa:

Yeah, that's what we're saying.

This is the original comment:

quote:

People were freaked out enough about a camera + mic in their homes, there's no way they would've accepted the console actually sending everything you do to Microsoft.

Which is what it's doing anyway so that's not a good argument for not doing it.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

VincesUndies posted:

Idiots at Reddit are already breaking their Dashboard Preview NDA so here's some updates:

• You can turn of Kinect gestures when watching videos (so when you reach for a drink, the Kinect UI doesn't pop up)
  • You can select by how much the Volume goes up/down when using Kinect
  • There's a "Show all other notifications" under Notifications (maybe to notify you when one of your favourites comes online)
  • Resume games quickly option is no longer 'beta'
  • Dolby Digital is supported over optical for people with headphones
  • There is a "bitstream out" option under audio settings so you can bypass the XB1's audio decoders and send the raw signal to your receiver

The rest seems to repeat what was shown in yesterday's Major Nelson video

That's good, they are addressing a ton of other things in this patch as well as the party chat then.

Really glad about the volume, especially now I have my cable box connected. For some reason that's way quieter than Netflix which means I have to shout the command 50 times or pick up the remote like some poor scrub. I'm curious to see how they implement it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The volume fix is a godsend. I'm sure for people with speaker set ups the bitstream option is great too.

Crafty; I'm assuming you just set how many increments it goes up by. So if you're like my household and the stupid TV has like 100 units of volume and 2 units up or down does nothing you set it to like 10.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shalinor posted:

They're called Metrics. Just about every game with a web connection (which is almost all of them) sends back (depersonalized) metrics, so that we can release silly stats like that, or figure out what features people are using. There are very strict rules about what we can do with the data, and the depersonalization bit is particularly important. So we store "somebody used a feature at X time" instead of "Bob used the feature at X time."

EDIT: and if you played Jones On Fire on your mobile device, you told me how many kitties you saved per session (though I didn't know who you were, I just got back a "some dude saved X kitties" message). THE HORROR! :aaaaa:
What are your thoughts on ID@Xbox?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Mmmmmyeah, I'll just record every single thing done in front of a camera and call it metrics, that makes it ok no matter what, as long faces are censored.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Shalinor posted:

They were discussing having an always on mic (not to mention the camera) in your living room in light of the NSA spying revelations and Microsoft working with them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Mmmmmyeah, I'll just record every single thing done in front of a camera and call it metrics, that makes it ok no matter what, as long faces are censored.

It doesn't though; at least last time I chatted with their advertising arm. I'll have another meeting with them relatively soon and try and see what exactly they're getting (my last meeting was launch day and post launch week) but really the huge push and what the incoming CEO of the company wants has nothing to do with the Kinect proper and everything to do with its video services.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I agree. If they're filming people, that's acceptable as long as they censor your face. It's no more than any other company with access to an always-on webcam would do. And it's not so bad -- just look at that highschool where they used the webcams in laptops to catch people doing drugs and breaking the law. If you haven't done anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

crowfeathers posted:

I agree. If they're filming people, that's acceptable as long as they censor your face. It's no more than any other company with access to an always-on webcam would do. And it's not so bad -- just look at that highschool where they used the webcams in laptops to catch people doing drugs and breaking the law. If you haven't done anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about.

Christ I hope you're joking.

Also on that note, Kinect is unable to log me in whenever I turn on the machine, which is weird because I'm the only loving user on the system and also the only face it's ever seen. Anyone else have that issue? I couldn't find an answer to "automatically loving sign me in" anywhere on Google, with or without Kinect, although I see that it's simply impossible without Kinect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saladman posted:

Christ I hope you're joking.

Also on that note, Kinect is unable to log me in whenever I turn on the machine, which is weird because I'm the only loving user on the system. Anyone else have that issue? I couldn't find an answer to "automatically loving sign me in" anywhere on Google, with or without Kinect.

There currently isn't a way to auto-login without using the Kinect. If it doesn't recognize you use the little "I wasn't recognized" feature when you log in manually and reset it. I had that issue and a quick "I wasn't recognized" fixed that right up.

A friend had an issue because she logged in with the dog on her lap for the initial set up so for the longest time it'd only trigger as her when the dog hopped on her lap.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

crowfeathers posted:

This is terrifying.

E - At least you're joking. There are people who will actually think this.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 26, 2014

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Barudak posted:

Crafty; I'm assuming you just set how many increments it goes up by. So if you're like my household and the stupid TV has like 100 units of volume and 2 units up or down does nothing you set it to like 10.

That's what it looks like

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

qnqnx posted:

Just long faces? I often play The One naked and my face is of average length, your true facts have me worried. We go over this Kinect is spying on you :tinfoil: every three weeks and it's never interesting. Can you guys take it back to the nerds really angry at Microsoft thread please?

People are posting screens of the new beta update. Looks like the 50hz fix is in. I guess it changes the refresh rate of everything to 50 then? The volume looks like you set its increment from 1 to 10 so that's decent. You also need to update your controllers (NEXT GEN) if you want to use that headphone adapter.

^sleek, yet functional. I'll probably go with an increment of 8 and see how I get on, it's like a game in itself. Another exclusive.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

crowfeathers posted:

equal parts fear and resigned detached laughter at the sky that this is an opinion that exists in real life, on earth, by a real person

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

melon farmer posted:

equal parts fear and resigned detached laughter at the sky that this is an opinion that exists in real life, on earth, by a real person

:ssh: He is joking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is there a full list of stuff this update does yet or are we all living in a hearsay world? I noticed the instant resume feature is out of Beta but I have no idea what that means (that feature is awesome in single player and not useful at all in multi).

melon farmer posted:

If this depresses you wait until the iWatch comes out if its rumored biometric push advertising feature is in there.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Barudak posted:

I noticed the instant resume feature is out of Beta but I have no idea what that means (that feature is awesome in single player and not useful at all in multi).

I guess it's still there but doesn't have the word Beta next to it

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What are your thoughts on ID@Xbox?
Surprisingly positive. Beyond that - NDA, blah blah.

They're more willing to kick little devs the help they need than Sony is right now, which is about polar opposite what you'd expect from the press Sony is putting out / the giant foot that MS keeps cramming in their own mouth. It would cost me quite a bit more to bring our game to PS4 than it will to XB One, to the point that we really can't afford PS4 at this point.

Haquer posted:

They were discussing having an always on mic (not to mention the camera) in your living room in light of the NSA spying revelations and Microsoft working with them.
Yes. It's the same conversation they've been having since before the console was released. It was dull then, and it's dull now, and a bunch of people acting faux outraged over what MS could theoretically do with the data remains really, really uninteresting. The specific example given ("bu-but they know how many times X command was used!") is, like I said, metrics. Mass Effect devs also know how many times you've entered the IAP store, and whether or not you clicked on an IAP option before exiting the store (and whether or not you bought it or just backed out), and so on. I guarantee they're also tracking how many aliens have been shot, because that stuff is awesome for useless brag metrics.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VincesUndies posted:

I guess it's still there but doesn't have the word Beta next to it

I figured as much. Its been one of my favorite little features of the system and I'm not entirely sure why its off by default.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

Crafty posted:

:ssh: He is joking.

I think his response has more to do with the fact that regardless of whether or not that individual poster is joking, that exact opinion is indeed held by hundreds of millions of Americans. There's a distressing amount of people out there who seem unable to comprehend that putting in place a system with tremendous monitoring power and terrifying potential for abuse is A Bad Thing. Because hey guys, it's not being abused right this very second, so there's no way it could ever be, right? Right?

(And that's not even taking into account that it probably is being abused this very second and we just don't know about it since the government/microsoft tends to only tell us about this stuff when a Snowden forces them to, but whatever)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Barudak posted:

There currently isn't a way to auto-login without using the Kinect. If it doesn't recognize you use the little "I wasn't recognized" feature when you log in manually and reset it. I had that issue and a quick "I wasn't recognized" fixed that right up.

A friend had an issue because she logged in with the dog on her lap for the initial set up so for the longest time it'd only trigger as her when the dog hopped on her lap.

Awesome, that worked. Still, it takes a few seconds. Would be nice if you could just set it to auto-login as a certain user, or if it was clever enough to just figure out that if there's only one user account, and the password is saved, it should just automatically login without fancy Kinect nonsense.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't care that the NSA can spy on me through Kinect, since this is unfounded tinfoil hattery. Plus if anyone's actually concerned about this they could just power their machine down completely instead of putting it in standby. If Microsoft can record everything the kinect sees and hears and transmit it to the NSA while only drawing 2 watts of power, then props to them. Too bad instant on uses a poo poo ton of energy, considering I only used my xbox 360 like two hours a week on average and can't imagine I will use the xbone more than that.

Edit: Other question: Any way to make the TV switch automatically to the Xbone when it's turned on? The PS3 automatically switches the input to itself when it turns on (and even turns the TV and stereo tuner on too), which is super handy for the non-tech-savvy member of my household. I never got that working for the 360, and have no idea why the PS3 does it either. I have all my devices hooked into a Denon receiver which then hooks into the TV (all via whatever the most current HDMI is).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 26, 2014

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Saladman posted:

I'm also in the camp that doesn't care that the NSA can spy on me through Kinect, since this is unfounded tinfoil hattery. Plus if anyone's actually concerned about this they could just power their machine down completely instead of putting it in standby. If Microsoft can record everything the kinect sees and hears and transmit it to the NSA while only drawing 2 watts of power, then props to them. Too bad instant on uses a poo poo ton of energy, considering I only used my xbox 360 like two hours a week on average and can't imagine I will use the xbone more than that.
And I thought Crowfeathers was joking.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Shalinor posted:

They're more willing to kick little devs the help they need than Sony is right now, which is about polar opposite what you'd expect from the press Sony is putting out / the giant foot that MS keeps cramming in their own mouth. It would cost me quite a bit more to bring our game to PS4 than it will to XB One, to the point that we really can't afford PS4 at this point.

Let me guess: a large portion of this is Unity licensing costs, and that Sony is the only console manufacturer to not pay for said licence if you get accepted into the relevant "approved developer" scheme. In addition, each individual PlayStation format has its own separate Unity Pro upgrade and it's corresponding $2,000 fee, and hence if you want to make a PS3/PS4/Vita game you'll be out $6k.

[Edit] I'd imagine that this would fall under the NDA, but: have they got rid of the launch parity clause yet?

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 26, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Yes. It's the same conversation they've been having since before the console was released. It was dull then, and it's dull now, and a bunch of people acting faux outraged over what MS could theoretically do with the data remains really, really uninteresting.

You're awfully dismissive of a real serious issue.

Also, its my data. I should have the ability to turn off whether you receive my "harmless" data. You shouldn't have the right to it without my expressive consent, no matter how miniscule you believe it is. Luckily a number of companies ASK for permission and SPELL OUT that they are capturing your information. I hope the company you work for requires a similar option (and not the usual "By playing this game you accept..." nonsense that proves nothing but utter contempt for customers privacy). I understand this goes beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it as such.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 26, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saladman posted:

I'm not sure Microsoft saying they are indeed sending data to the NSA as unfounded tinfoil hattery. You also wouldn't need to transmit it instantly you could record than transmit the next time the system is engaged. Or whenever Microsoft is asked to send it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You're awfully dismissive of a real serious issue.

Also, its my data. I should have the ability to turn off whether you receive my "harmless" data. You shouldn't have the right to it without my expressive consent, no matter how miniscule you believe it is. Luckily a number of companies ASK for permission and SPELL OUT that they are capturing your information. I hope the company you work for requires has a similar option. I understand this goes beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it as such.

You said it better than I could.

Also dismissing it as "just metrics" and comparing it to taking game metrics is hilarious.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Saladman posted:

Edit: Other question: Any way to make the TV switch automatically to the Xbone when it's turned on? The PS3 automatically switches the input to itself when it turns on (and even turns the TV and stereo tuner on too), which is super handy for the non-tech-savvy member of my household. I never got that working for the 360, and have no idea why the PS3 does it either. I have all my devices hooked into a Denon receiver which then hooks into the TV (all via whatever the most current HDMI is).

Its in settings > TV and one guide > devices.

If you just got The One then I'd recommend rerunning the Kinect tuner with the volume on your TV up high enough that Kinect tells you to turn it down. Find the highest it will accept, it will help with picking up commands more consistently.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I just bought it despite Switzerland being a "not released" market (in a major retail chain here, down the street, not pre-ordered or anything).

Sedisp posted:

I'm not sure Microsoft saying they are indeed sending data to the NSA as unfounded tinfoil hattery. You also wouldn't need to transmit it instantly you could record than transmit the next time the system is engaged. Or whenever Microsoft is asked to send it.

I'm not an electrical engineer or anything, but there's no way the xbox/kinect can record video and audio and save it to a HDD at the ~1 watt it draws while plugged in and powered off. If they could do that, I'd wonder why they did such a bad job with the rest of the engineering.

E: Anyway, even if it drew only 1 watt on standby instead of 15, I'd probably still not use it just because I don't want the kinect watching me at all times, but people thinking it's recording you and sending analytics to MS even when it's turned off and powered down? Complete tin hattery.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 26, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saladman posted:

E: Anyway, even if it drew only 1 watt on standby instead of 15, I'd probably still not use it just because I don't want the kinect watching me at all times, but people thinking it's recording you and sending analytics to MS even when it's turned off and powered down? Complete tin hattery.

Has there been anyone in either thread that has said it's recording you when it's turned off?

Shalinor posted:

Yes. It's the same conversation they've been having since before the console was released. It was dull then, and it's dull now, and a bunch of people acting faux outraged over what MS could theoretically do with the data remains really, really uninteresting. The specific example given ("bu-but they know how many times X command was used!") is, like I said, metrics. Mass Effect devs also know how many times you've entered the IAP store, and whether or not you clicked on an IAP option before exiting the store (and whether or not you bought it or just backed out), and so on. I guarantee they're also tracking how many aliens have been shot, because that stuff is awesome for useless brag metrics.

Yeah metrics in game are being shared, fair enough. What metrics were they intending on gathering when the console was not in use?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Has there been anyone in either thread that has said it's recording you when it's turned off?

Yeah metrics in game are being shared, fair enough. What metrics were they intending on gathering when the console was not in use?

I just joined this thread, so haven't seen it, but everywhere else on the Internet: Yes. "It's recording all the time OMG." This kind of goes with your second comment: They won't be gathering metrics when the console is not in use because Kinect isn't on.

Not that I want my video transmitted anywhere (in the unlikely event this is the case) but couldn't care less if my metrics of what pages I visited or which buttons I pressed were transmitted. I mean, I'd hate this on a computer and would never buy it, but don't care at all for a console.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

[Edit] I'd imagine that this would fall under the NDA, but: have they got rid of the launch parity clause yet?
As you say, I really can't say. I can tell you that I could afford a port that cost $6k.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I understand this goes beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it as such.
Yes, it does, so thanks. Move on guys. Your cellphone also has a camera (probably multiples), your laptop almost certainly does, etc. This isn't an issue unique to the XB One. Take it to a GBS current events thread - in here, let's talk about games.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
My Kinect will only automatically log me in while I'm masturbating because I was masturbating when I set it up.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is anyone using the new xbox as a media center yet? I've been playing around with the settings but still haven't figured out how the new system is any better than the 360, except that it has an HDMI-In cable that you could.. do something with? I guess? Really having a hard time figuring out what to do with that. It doesn't look like you can use it as an arbitrary DVR, which is too bad.

I'm struggling to figure out the point of the much-touted media center features, when I can already hook a computer up to my TV via HDMI and do everything easier and more flexibly. Still, I guess it will be nice once it supports external drives (as long as it supports something other than FAT32, jesus christ I hope so).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saladman posted:

Is anyone using the new xbox as a media center yet? I've been playing around with the settings but still haven't figured out how the new system is any better than the 360, except that it has an HDMI-In cable that you could.. do something with? I guess? Really having a hard time figuring out what to do with that. It doesn't look like you can use it as an arbitrary DVR, which is too bad.

I'm struggling to figure out the point of the much-touted media center features, when I can already hook a computer up to my TV via HDMI and do everything easier and more flexibly. Still, I guess it will be nice once it supports external drives (as long as it supports something other than FAT32, jesus christ I hope so).

You can't, really. It only has Push To streaming.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Saladman posted:

You're better off using the 360 or PS3. Both consoles aren't up to par with the old ones for media features.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is 3D still a thing they are trying to push? I thought that died again right after motion controls died.

gently caress 3D.

Manufacturers are now starting to push the whole 4k bullshit thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Manufacturers are now starting to push the whole 4k bullshit thing.

That will likely be more successful but current 4k displays are both crazy, crazy expensive and have incredibly limited refresh rates that they literally can't display over 30fps in many cases.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I do think 4k will be more successful in the long run. However, what you mentioned and also the devices that are going to deliver 4k content to the TV's are also kind of limited.

Another point about the metrics: I'm not really all that concerned about Microsoft being a co-conspirator with the NSA or anything. My thing is that a lot of the metrics can be sold. You don't need to say to someone "Yea Joe Bob watches Al Jazeera, put him on the watchlist." But you can say "Hey, such and such people are doing things in this game, we think this fits your demographic: you should buy some ad space on the Xbox One Dashboard"

Which is kind of hilarious considering Microsoft's "Scroogled" crap.

edit: And the only problem I have with that is that I'm paying for Xbox Live Gold in the first place.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
edit - ^^^^^^ yeah, 4k seems like it will be A Thing in the long term, but right now, and even 3-4 years from now..... eh.

Barudak posted:

That will likely be more successful but current 4k displays are both crazy, crazy expensive and have incredibly limited refresh rates that they literally can't display over 30fps in many cases.

Yeah, prices have dropped a lot but the 30hz thing seems... dumb. I also have no idea what you would do with a 4k display, much like I have no idea what you do with a 3d display. My girlfriends parents have a 3d tv and I watched like 10 minutes of a college football game and just thought 'welp, these glasses are dumb' and just switched back to the normal channel.

And with the 4k, if Tomb Raider runs at 1080p30 on the xbox and 1080p45-50ish on the PS4, what the gently caress game would ever be able to run at 4k? Pretty much nothing on this generation of hardware.

• Locked thread