Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey you're alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Meanwhile/Last Time, on Matt Groening's The Dark Tower:

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
Remember when Jake and Oy switched brains so that Oy could carry Jake past a tyrannosaurus rex that only Jake could see? Good times.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Trunko posted:

OK I'm starting this fifth book and now the crippled black woman whos super power is getting raped is swimming around in swamp naked and biting the heads of of frogs while the author-stand-in Roland watches with a fullness in his pants

you're in dark territory now, friend. other than father callahan doing an awesome thing the story doesn't really get good again. i do not envy you.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
it's really cool when young roland kicks down corts door and demands his manhood challenge

western movie heros as arthurian knights is probably the coolest idea King ever had and I kind of wish it stopped with book one

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Malachi Constant posted:

Remember when Jake and Oy switched brains so that Oy could carry Jake past a tyrannosaurus rex that only Jake could see? Good times.

Remember when the Greatest Gunman Ever To Exist In Any Universe Ever couldn't successfully shoot an old man on a balcony so he had to get his Deux Ex Mongoloid to magic him out of existence?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There's probably the same magic "rule" that Walter has where Roland's guns can't harm him. You would think he would have at least tried though. Patrick Danville really is the worst character and almost any alternative way of getting rid of the crimson king would have been better.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the wizard and glass is the biggest slog it is so boring and so long and so boring

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

the wizard and glass is the biggest slog it is so boring and so long and so boring

sorry you hate love

you're never going to get fifty shades or twilight

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Professor Shark posted:

Hey you're alright

Thankee sai

Have an art nouveau t-shirt design:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
a much better version of the king would have had him trapped with no way to touch roland, so he just walked past him. Also, I find it hard to believe that the tower would deliberately lure roland out to his death.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Anything would have been better than EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
tjhanks to this thread i spread the news of a cinematic adaptation to my local lesbian who's a big fan

naem
May 29, 2011

A Tasteful Nude posted:

it's really cool when young roland kicks down corts door and demands his manhood challenge

western movie heros as arthurian knights is probably the coolest idea King ever had and I kind of wish it stopped with book one

He COULD HAVE written such a GOOD trilogy if he'd just kept the sparse quality and tone of the first book and focused on Roland.

Book two would have been flash backs of young Roland as he approaches the tower across spooky robot land, book three wraps up everything with a final confrontation and then a surprise reset to "the man in black fled across the something and gunman follows"

Short and sweet with hints of what a spooky land it all was.

THEN maybe a couple of short stories set in that universe published years later just for kicks to explore some of the hinted at spooky stuff, instead of the meandering disappointment we got

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

naem posted:

He COULD HAVE written such a GOOD trilogy if he'd just kept the sparse quality and tone of the first book and focused on Roland.

Book two would have been flash backs of young Roland as he approaches the tower across spooky robot land, book three wraps up everything with a final confrontation and then a surprise reset to "the man in black fled across the something and gunman follows"

Short and sweet with hints of what a spooky land it all was.

THEN maybe a couple of short stories set in that universe published years later just for kicks to explore some of the hinted at spooky stuff, instead of the meandering disappointment we got

Seems much tidier. Unfortunately the cool basic elements became massively strung out, not unlike their author.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There's probably the same magic "rule" that Walter has where Roland's guns can't harm him. You would think he would have at least tried though. Patrick Danville really is the worst character and almost any alternative way of getting rid of the crimson king would have been better.

I wouldn't have even minded it if there was a proper climax to the whole thing. I expected this to be Roland's demon son and they'd have a big ol' shootout at the tower entrance or something but NOPE! They kill him off early and instead have the CK throw snitches at them. Yay?

Cumslut1895 posted:

a much better version of the king would have had him trapped with no way to touch roland, so he just walked past him. Also, I find it hard to believe that the tower would deliberately lure roland out to his death.

:agreed:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

syscall girl posted:

sorry you hate love

you're never going to get fifty shades or twilight

Cheers I'll skip them

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Seems much tidier. Unfortunately the cool basic elements became massively strung out, not unlike their author.

Lol

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
yo dudes i read the series years ago and i didnt completely hate it? should i read the new one he put out about roland in his youth

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

how big of a goon are you? i bet the only literature youve read lately comes in the form of a graphic novel!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Same. I read Gunslinger in high school and didn't get around to reading the other volumes until just recently. Plowed through the other 6 books with the Stand right in the middle to break it up a bit (first time reading the Stand too). Great experience and reading this thread makes me grateful that most of you guys don't write professionally.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pookum posted:

yo dudes i read the series years ago and i didnt completely hate it? should i read the new one he put out about roland in his youth

Yeah, it is a good read.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

King's beam protector zodiac animals all started out as huge demigod creatures (like in Princess Mononoke, for instance) but then as Midworld et al became more technologically advanced the power of magic waned and so they all slowly got kitted out by the Old Ones to fulfill the same tasks as before.
Like, sure, a satellite dish stands out like a sore thumb on a giant bear, but then again when magic held true power and the world hadn't given to corruption, Shardik could innately detect and protect the beam without needing any technological augments.
King loves his metaphors, though, so the state of Shardik's body also serves as an accurate technology-vs-magic cross section for the current state of Midworld.

I believe you're mistaken. The original god bear was an old man that used to sit on his porch and take potshots at passerbyers with his BB gun. Unfortunately, he got drunk, fell down the stairs, and broke his neck.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

nopants posted:

I believe you're mistaken. The original god bear was an old man that used to sit on his porch and take potshots at passerbyers with his BB gun. Unfortunately, he got drunk, fell down the stairs, and broke his neck.

America's spirit animal.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Same. I read Gunslinger in high school and didn't get around to reading the other volumes until just recently. Plowed through the other 6 books with the Stand right in the middle to break it up a bit (first time reading the Stand too). Great experience and reading this thread makes me grateful that most of you guys don't write professionally.

i wish i could read the stand for the first time again. it is my favorite.

Nut to Butt posted:

tjhanks to this thread i spread the news of a cinematic adaptation to my local lesbian who's a big fan

thankee for spreading the good word

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

oh wow 20 pages! im glad this thread is still chugging along

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

nopants posted:

He guarded the ancient punkins which hold up the world

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cheers I'll skip them

It was a bit of a laugh

Sort of a joke or even a heckle

(I've never seen either)

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

who should play young roland in the movies?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A misanthrope posted:

Jaden Smith

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

weird when i got done reading your post i noticed i'd put a gun barrel in my mouth. it wasn't there before :confused:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A misanthrope posted:

weird when i got done reading your post i noticed i'd put a gun barrel in my mouth. it wasn't there before :confused:

Iunno, it might be helpful for the character who plays young Roland to be portrayed by someone who is a little nutty.

Like, King's character (you know the boy and man ain't right) should be played by a boy who's a little messed up from maybe Scientology and Twitter but good looking from having movie star parents?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Iunno, it might be helpful for the character who plays young Roland to be portrayed by someone who is a little nutty.

Like, King's character (you know the boy and man ain't right) should be played by a boy who's a little messed up from maybe Scientology and Twitter but good looking from having movie star parents?

i agree with your post in theory but on the other hand i just cocked the pistol

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

I'll do it I guess

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A misanthrope posted:

Odris alba

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Jon hader

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

A misanthrope posted:

Jake Lloyd

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Bob James posted:

Jake Lloyd

ahh theres the answer i was looking for :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.