Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Played in a tournament this weekend. Won on Friday 4-3 and tied our 2 Saturday games 0-0 and 1-1. Because it was a small, multi-level tourney that was enough to get us to the Sunday final. We won 2-1. It was super fun.

I should note that I missed the first two periods of Friday's game. They scored all 4 goals before I arrived. In 2 periods without me they scored 4 goals. In 10 periods with me we scored 3 goals. It looks like I'm bad for my team's offense!

Can't wait for our winter season to start. The end of October can't get here soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

JetsGuy posted:

It's amazing how many options open up once you know a lot of the players. There's a roller hockey league I've been invited to several times around here. I just don't have the $$$ for roller blades.

Yeah thats pretty much how its been for me. When I first started back up I was skating once every few weeks... then once a week... then I bumped into someone who knew of another session so it went to twice a week. 2 weeks ago I was invited another session. This week I'm on my 3rd of 4 straight nights playing hockey with an option for a 5th if I can manage it.

Hockey is like crack and everyone is in on it.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
There's an Iron Man tournament this Saturday where I play. I've never done one before so I'm pretty excited, but my goalie and one skater just backed out. If I wind up finding replacements I'll post about my experience.

It's 4v4 (standard roller) and games are no subs, 8 minutes long, running clock. You're guaranteed 5 games, with the possibility of 1-3 playoff games. I'm marginally worried that after like minute 5 I'm going to be dead and worthless to my team.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

It's amazing how many options open up once you know a lot of the players. There's a roller hockey league I've been invited to several times around here. I just don't have the $$$ for roller blades.

That's one of the reasons I'm dragging my feet on trying ice.

Sometimes, budgets suck.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Bit of an injury concern that I wondered if any of you guys have encountered similar before;

During the last few skates after I've done a reasonable amount of shooting or if we've been doing contact drills I keep getting a sharp pain in my left arm (Top hand - I'm a righty) in and round the area where my Deltoids and Triceps meet roughly around where you'd have a jab or shot in your arm as a kid. The pain travels down my arm into my elbow and into my finger tips.

It doesn't hurt when I'm active (ie skating, stick handling, lesser extent shooting) but as soon as I rest it is agony and will ache for up to an hour after I come off the ice.

I'm hoping that it is just that my muscles are still a bit weak and still getting used to being back on the ice properly but I wonder if anyone has experienced similar?

Cheers,

Zip

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Muscle soreness wouldn't go all the way to your fingertips.

I would guess a pinched nerve or something but I'm no doctor.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Sounds like a pinched nerve. Fractures can cause shooting pain. I suppose it's possible you've got a hairline as you'd not have noticed it when it happened. I had a shooting pain in my elbow when I was learning to skate and it hurt for loving months whenever I put my elbow on my desk. I first chalked it up to a bad bruise, but I realized it was something worse when it hurt for months.

It was probably a hairline or some poo poo.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just got asked to play in a pond hockey tournament in Colorado in February, apparently sponsored by PBR :lol:. I really want to do this.

Henrik! Do the tournament if you can. I plan on trying to assemble a team - it's about 20 minutes from where I live in Breckenridge if you need a place to crash. I also work at a hotel, so discounts are available through me if you don't wanna rock a couch.

Altitude is killer, admittedly. It's gonna be fun!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just got asked to play in a pond hockey tournament in Colorado in February, apparently sponsored by PBR :lol:. I really want to do this.

Get your rear end out here, mang!

Bring your skis, too. I promise, this winter is going to be deep.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aw poo poo.

The team is definitely happening. I think the dude is going to register this week sometime for the lowest division. I was taking a look at all the info online today and it looks awesome. I'd say I'm about 75% going. Just need to iron out some details aka SO approval.

It would be totally badass to get some snowboarding in while we're there for sure! I've never boarded in Colorado before. Not sure if we'd have time given all the drinking we plan on doing. And hockey I guess. I think the plan is to fly in Thursday night and take off Monday morning.

Plus, anything would be considered deep compare to last years poo poo excuse for a winter at Tahoe.

Anyway, I hope to figure out if I'm going in the next few days and will let you dudes know!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 11, 2012

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Zip! posted:

Bit of an injury concern that I wondered if any of you guys have encountered similar before;

During the last few skates after I've done a reasonable amount of shooting or if we've been doing contact drills I keep getting a sharp pain in my left arm (Top hand - I'm a righty) in and round the area where my Deltoids and Triceps meet roughly around where you'd have a jab or shot in your arm as a kid. The pain travels down my arm into my elbow and into my finger tips.

It doesn't hurt when I'm active (ie skating, stick handling, lesser extent shooting) but as soon as I rest it is agony and will ache for up to an hour after I come off the ice.

I'm hoping that it is just that my muscles are still a bit weak and still getting used to being back on the ice properly but I wonder if anyone has experienced similar?

Cheers,

Zip

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT TRULY LEGITIMATE MEDICAL ADVICE.

I had typed out a bunch of questions for you to answer, but I looked back and realized that I'm going to suggest you see your doctor no matter how you answered these questions. I think the important things here are:

Is there a pulse in the affected arm? Is it weaker than the non-affected arm?
Any numbness, tingling or weakness in the affected arm? Poke the pads of your fingers with something sharp.
Have you noticed anything else causes the pain? How is the range of motion in your neck and arm?
Has there been recent trauma?
Any abnormalities in your urine?

The way it radiates through your arm sounds a little bit like pinched nerve, but it gets worse with rest and improves with motion and I get the impression that the pain is more constant. Plus, the history is not really detailed enough to know if this is in a nerve/nerve root distribution. With the history of recent heavy use, might be a muscle soreness or general breakdown of muscle called rhabdomyolysis; the pain doesn't sound very characteristic for muscle soreness and I highly doubt you could shoot so much that your top-hand arm got rhabdo. And certainly, if you had muscle soreness/rhabdo in your top-hand arm, you'd probably have it in the other arm, too.

For now, heat and cold. Motrin/tylenol. You don't have a good enough story to make a diagnosis without examination and work-up. Go see your doctor.

WARNING: Though I think I am closer than anybody in this thread, I am NOT a doctor; again, please do not mistake this for legitimate medical advice. You should see your doctor sooner rather than later.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Wow, played for the first time without my beta blocker today. I was suddenly the fastest person on the ice, but I tired out even faster than before. It was kinda nice to feel my heart really pounding, though.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dangerllama posted:

Get your rear end out here, mang!

Bring your skis, too. I promise, this winter is going to be deep.

Are you down to throw together a team? I just realized that ski season destroys any discounts I can get, but we'll find space at my pad to crash if need be. I have an indoor heated garage, too, to store gear at night.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Went to the local rink today for drop-in. Found out it's closed indefinitely due to recently discovered structural damage.

The next closest rink is over an hour away :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm road tripping from Chicago up to the International Falls area next week for work.

Everyone says Minnesota is hockey crazy, are there any amazing stores or hockey related places I should stop in if I get time? Anyone around here actually live in Minnesota?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

shyguy posted:

Went to the local rink today for drop-in. Found out it's closed indefinitely due to recently discovered structural damage.

The next closest rink is over an hour away :smith:

Of all the seasons for them to have to fix the rink! :smith:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/342551/3/Local-ice-rink-shut-down-over-structural-damage

quote:

The complex released this statement: "The U.S. Ice Sports Complex in Fairview Heights has suffered structural damage to the building, including ice surfaces, as a result of mine subsidence."

The complex has apparently fallen victim to underground mines. NewsChannel 5 has been told there are cracks inside the facility and even on the ice itself.
I don't think it's opening anytime soon :(

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 11, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe you could play at the Scottrade center, not like the blues are going to be using it any time soon.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

I'm road tripping from Chicago up to the International Falls area next week for work.

Everyone says Minnesota is hockey crazy, are there any amazing stores or hockey related places I should stop in if I get time? Anyone around here actually live in Minnesota?

I'm in Minneapolis and while I haven't noticed any crazy stores or anything like that but there are rinks friggen everywhere. In the adult league I play in we had games in at least 7 or 8 different buildings. These are all within about 20 minutes or so of each other. The amount of ice around the Twin Cities is ridiculous.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

WARNING: Though I think I am closer than anybody in this thread, I am NOT a doctor; again, please do not mistake this for legitimate medical advice. You should see your doctor sooner rather than later.

I'm going to be a doctor of veterinary medicine in about 20 months! :v:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I'm going to be a doctor of veterinary medicine in about 20 months! :v:

DOCTOR FIVE. :hfive:

...but, I got 12 months on you. Although, I do have to do 3 years of residency. Gah, maybe I'm not the closest. SUNUVABITCH.

Unless you are planning on doing residency. Then I'm back in the lead!!

coldwind fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 12, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Going to the PBR pond hockey tournament in Colorado. Team is registering today.

:getin: :getin: :getin:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Not many amazing stores that Chi. doesn't have. Our best big store is Total Hockey, which I know are down there too. We do have a TON of local hockey shops that are your best bet for pro level sharpening.

If you have a car, you won't be TOO far from the US Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth,MN that would be a really cool day trip for you.

Also, you should bring your gear. There are several open hockey sessions in literally every city in MN during the weekends, so youll be able to play if you want. I love this about MN. It sucks to hear most of you guys are so far from rinks around you. There are multiple rinks in every city here. Think football in TX, but hockey..in MN

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What about knowledgable skate fitters? I'd love to sit down with someone and talk about skate fitting, and as I've complained in this thread many times in the past, Chicago has virtually none.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

What about knowledgable skate fitters? I'd love to sit down with someone and talk about skate fitting, and as I've complained in this thread many times in the past, Chicago has virtually none.

Yeah, Daves Sports http://www.davessportshop.net and Lettermans Sports http://www.lettermensports.com are two of the best local places to get skates fitted in the TC metro area in my opinion.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tonight I got trucked in the neutral zone.

I was looping back in the neutral zone after an outlet pass was broken up, and coming back up ice the other way was an opposition player tagging up/going for the loose puck. I skated at him to put some pressure on, he passed it into the middle to one of his players.

I assumed he would follow the pass and cut inside to turn back on the rush so I angled to pass him along the boards and get back into our zone, but nope he just watched his pass go and then edged slightly towards the boards, and directly into me.

I got my hands up a bit, which helped, but the guy was bigger so I ended up hard on my rear end. Turned to get up, swung my stick over, and thought "oh poo poo this feels weird I'm Crosby concussed!" before I saw that the shaft of my stick had snapped in half just below the tape.

I was wearing a cage so I'm assuming my brain is scrambled eggs and my body just hasn't caught up yet, but I'm pretty sure I would have taken his stick in the teeth without it!

Rest In Pieces, trusty Bauer stick.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pleads posted:

Rest In Pieces, trusty Bauer stick.

No worse insult than losing a piece of lumber on the way...did y'all win at least?

I was slew footed last night towards the end of the game. My coach-buddy was watching the game and went nuts. His comment to me was great: "Drop those loving gloves, man! What? Are they sewn on or something!? TUNE HIM UP!"

I about pissed at the "sewn on" comment.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

19 o'clock posted:

No worse insult than losing a piece of lumber on the way...did y'all win at least?
Yes, 11-3. It was decently even team-wise, their goalie was just not so good.

We had a "coach" as well who pretty much just yelled at people to clog up the middle and turned every mistake into a dramatic confrontation when someone got back to the bench.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pleads posted:

We had a "coach" as well who pretty much just yelled at people to clog up the middle and turned every mistake into a dramatic confrontation when someone got back to the bench.

I have a "coach" teammate who - while I like the dude - hands out pretty useless advice. I'm of the opinion that our team isn't at a level that any play-talk will matter come game time, so just try our best and don't pass across the point.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

19 o'clock posted:

I have a "coach" teammate who - while I like the dude - hands out pretty useless advice. I'm of the opinion that our team isn't at a level that any play-talk will matter come game time, so just try our best and don't pass across the point.

I'm the master at giving useless advice from the bench. I just learned to stop talking eventually.

"We're on the PK not too deep! Someone stay back! Ok you have the puck! Nice goal nevermind then!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

Unless you are planning on doing residency. Then I'm back in the lead!!

As of right now, I am likely shooting for a residency in Neurology & Neurosurgery. You'll still have at least a year on me!

19 o'clock posted:

We have a woman like that on my tournament team. She started in roller and has no idea. Yet always has something to say between periods. :rolleyes:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 13, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The best part is when your worst player is the constant advice-giver.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

The best part is when your worst player is the constant advice-giver.

This. I love my teammates, but if you're skiing around turns and fanning on every shot...I'm going to be uninspired.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Are you down to throw together a team? I just realized that ski season destroys any discounts I can get, but we'll find space at my pad to crash if need be. I have an indoor heated garage, too, to store gear at night.

As long as you're cool with me being a low/mid-C scrub, then I'm definitely down to play some pond hockey.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dangerllama posted:

As long as you're cool with me being a low/mid-C scrub, then I'm definitely down to play some pond hockey.

I'm right there with ya. I talked to my mates and I will let ya know when things come to fruition regarding a team.

Oh yeah, and it's puking snow outside right now in Breckenridge.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PBR shall be had by all!

Seriously, this is going to own bones.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I wanna play pond hockey :smith:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I want to play anything other than pond hockey :smith:

(Hopefully before January and for longer than two months)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

As the advice-giver on my team, I have to defend our kind.

Sure, sports are played on an instinctual level and nobody is going to make major changes based on hearing advice one time on the bench. And sure, there's always players on the team who aren't interested in changing or improving their games.

But on my team, our best defensive wingers aren't the best skaters and aren't the most experienced players, but they had a good attitude when told over and over again that they needed to stay on the points. And it didn't happen in one or two games, but eventually their instincts changed and they started staying high on the points and opposing defensemen weren't getting unopposed keep-ins that turned automatically into shots. AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Did it happen quickly? No. Did it happen for all of our forwards? No. But was it worth it? Dear God, yes. Especially considering that I wasn't doing anything between periods or sitting on the bench anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

so the NHL is canceled and this week real hockey got canceled too. No drop in tonight because one of the goalies got hurt. :smith: