Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've always wondered why Forge World don't do resin bases. It'd be like free loving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

I've always wondered why Forge World don't do resin bases. It'd be like free loving money.

Yeah I kinda wonder the same thing too. They only seem to do it for a select few figures. Maybe they think it just isn't cost-effective?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

"I've always wondered why [GW/FW] don't do [good or sensible idea]. It'd be like free loving money."

The one advantage though is that you'd probably have to do quite a bit of cleanup on those bases, compared to the pristine ones from the likes of Dragon Forge.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mango Polo posted:

"I've always wondered why [GW/FW] don't do [good or sensible idea]. It'd be like free loving money."

The one advantage though is that you'd probably have to do quite a bit of cleanup on those bases, compared to the pristine ones from the likes of Dragon Forge.

Most of the Forge world stuff I've had recently has consisted of clipping them off the sprue. They're a lot better than they used to be. Sure you still need to saw off a gigantic run of resin from big bits occasionally, but most of the time its no more work than a plastic model now.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm planning out my Primaris Psykers and my Wyrdvane Psykers for my Armageddon Steel Legion. (Yes, I know Wyrdvane Psykers are essentially just a single 5 wound ML1 Psyker and aren't great).

So, I've yet to find anything that has inspired me for the Primaris Psykers, but for the Wyrdvanes I've come up with a pretty cool plan.

They're essentially Psykers that have seen too much exposure to Armageddon's toxic ash and waste, and have begun to rot and mutate, so the Imperium and Mechanicum have done their best to keep them bolted together.

I'm going to use a bunch of the Empire Flagellent bodies:

With these sweet heads:

And some mechanical limbs:

Gonna paint them in a myriad of colors, but the flesh will all be pale and burning away, with dots of green and orange around their faces and stuff, poisoned from the toxic ash.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cc weapons for these guys, or more importantly, a direction to go with my Primaris Psykers that suits this theme? I'll be stuffing them into Chimeras with the Chapterhouse wheel mods, painted up to match the rest of my Armageddon stuff, though maybe with some kind of "penal legion" markings, to show that the Psykers are property of the Imperium... (I guess, moreso than your average Guardsman...)

Bonus:

My WIP Fortress of Arrogance (still need to find a metal Yarrick to go with it)

and the rest of my Steel Legion...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for cc weapons for these guys, or more importantly, a direction to go with my Primaris Psykers that suits this theme? I'll be stuffing them into Chimeras with the Chapterhouse wheel mods, painted up to match the rest of my Armageddon stuff, though maybe with some kind of "penal legion" markings, to show that the Psykers are property of the Imperium... (I guess, moreso than your average Guardsman...)

For CC weapons, consider arcane-looking mechanical staves of some kind. Similar to how techpriests have those geared axes, but with more elaborate tops. Crystal balls, maybe the spiked triangle tops from the GW building kits, with wires connecting to their bodies or a backpack of some sort. Give them a power source that they draw from, something like Skaven Warlock Engineers.

For Primaris Psykers, you could continue with the theme and make them even more mechanical and rotted; their increased psychic power has lead to further withering of their forms, to the point that they are becoming more mechanical than flesh. Large apparatus strapped to their back with spindly limbs and tools used to keep them alive, not unlike Fabius Bile's backpack. Warmachine has a few figures that kind of fit the bill, and might be good for inspiration:

The Overlords have some really neat backpack bits that I think would fit the bill. Hell, the models themselves would work perfectly as-is for psyker stand-ins, if you don't mind mixing in models like a heretic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love the poo poo out of mine but he's been pretty worthless as an actual unit on the table. Draws fire like a Vindicator though, so there's that.
I already have three Vindicators, so I don't know how useful yet another fire magnet will be. At least it'll be a fire magnet in the Elites slot instead of Heavy Support?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've ran into land raiders a lot with my Tyranids, and even with warp lances I just can't seem to crack them. So, I think I'm going to ally in some imperial guard. I figure four lascannons in a blob with a vendetta should help out quite a bit. Plus, keeping them away from the tyranid force shouldn't be too hard.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Master Twig posted:

I've ran into land raiders a lot with my Tyranids, and even with warp lances I just can't seem to crack them. So, I think I'm going to ally in some imperial guard. I figure four lascannons in a blob with a vendetta should help out quite a bit. Plus, keeping them away from the tyranid force shouldn't be too hard.

I really like the idea of a group of IG like, "Wait! Look! The 'Nids are eating them!" "They can't get into their land raiders." "Blow it open for them!"

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

I really like the idea of a group of IG like, "Wait! Look! The 'Nids are eating them!" "They can't get into their land raiders." "Blow it open for them!"

I heartily support this. I assume the guard hightail it out of there shortly after firing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those IG better be painted as Genestealer cult.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Esser-Z posted:

I heartily support this. I assume the guard hightail it out of there shortly after firing.

Nope, they hightail it directly into the digestion pools, for they understand the beautiful truth and willingly embrace the love of the Hive Mind.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

SRM posted:

Those IG better be painted as Genestealer cult.

I have models with gas masks. Not official death korps, but close. They wear the masks to hide the corruption. I will also be converting a psyker and commander to be corrupted with genestealer parts.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cult! Of course. That works too! How could I forget the Genestealer Cults? They're awesome!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 11, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Fuegan posted:

The 30k models are awesome in general but putting them on kick-rear end resin bases (in this case, Dragonforge's Ancient Ruins set) makes them look even better. Cannot wait to get these painted.

Look at that base on the far right, just look at it.

I can hear some mouth breather yelling, after a charge move, "That's not base-to-base contact!" :byodood:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Note to self: make base wiht giant unfolding extender arm for my warboss.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I already have three Vindicators, so I don't know how useful yet another fire magnet will be. At least it'll be a fire magnet in the Elites slot instead of Heavy Support?

I mean I think it's better than a Dreadnought, but it also costs 2x more

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I mean I think it's better than a Dreadnought, but it also costs 2x more

2x butcher cannons are pretty mean. It can also have a heavy conversion beamer, making it a decent-ish fire platform that will probably never die.

Chaos Contemptors with butcher cannons cost the same but with a better WS and BS, so there's not much of a reason to take the Decimator if you're looking for a walking gun platform. Which is really all they are good for, in the end.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
so in that case I guess I should just wait for that Iron Warriors Contemptor I guess. Can it get skyfire if it's a mortis pattern one too?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

so in that case I guess I should just wait for that Iron Warriors Contemptor I guess. Can it get skyfire if it's a mortis pattern one too?

There is no Chaos Mortis pattern, I think. If you're running 30k then yeah the IW would get access to it, but that's a different beast altogether.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Shucks, alright. I'm just looking for some kind of decent anti air for my Iron Warriors and figured spewing a shitload of lead in the air is probably my best option. Last I checked the FW fighters aren't very good and I don't like the look of the Helldrake so my options seem kinda limited.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

Shucks, alright. I'm just looking for some kind of decent anti air for my Iron Warriors and figured spewing a shitload of lead in the air is probably my best option. Last I checked the FW fighters aren't very good and I don't like the look of the Helldrake so my options seem kinda limited.

True to spirit and fluff, fortifications would be the go-to for Iron Warriors anti-air. Grab a bunker and a quad-gun, or an icarus lascannon.

Failing that, havocs with autocannons still perform well. They may not have skyfire, but they put out enough shots and are dirt cheap at 100pts.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I think AA guns and cultists modeled like cyborg servitors to man them might be the fluffiest option.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
well... looks like GK are coming pretty drat soon.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Are you guys ready for a more expensive version of the codex with less unit options!?

I am ROCK HARD!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I think AA guns and cultists modeled like cyborg servitors to man them might be the fluffiest option.
Yeah, I guess. I just don't want to do yet another Aegis line with yet another quadgun, ya know? It just seems like such a lame meta unit and I wanted to do something cooler.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

Yeah, I guess. I just don't want to do yet another Aegis line with yet another quadgun, ya know? It just seems like such a lame meta unit and I wanted to do something cooler.

You're playing Chaos, you don't get to do anything cool :v:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I wonder what's actually getting released for GK. Isn't their entire range (barring the Inqusition stuff) pretty much relatively new?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Cataphract posted:

well... looks like GK are coming pretty drat soon.

Just want to hop aboard the "that model looks dumb as poo poo" train.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I wonder what's actually getting released for GK. Isn't their entire range (barring the Inqusition stuff) pretty much relatively new?

A giant baby carriage you can slot a Dreadknight into!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CyberLord XP posted:

That train left the station like 3 and a half years ago. My old FLGS was selling Dreadknights for 50% off because nobody wanted to buy them.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

They're not getting any new models according to the rumor guys. Every release we've seen since the weekly release schedule has had weeks of models then the codex, and we're just going straight to the codex with this one.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Can't wait to hear the three blood angels players at my flgs complain that grey knights get an update before them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Master Twig posted:

Can't wait to hear the three blood angels players at my flgs complain that grey knights get an update before them.

Wind them up by pointing out that BA are a codex chapter and shouldn't even have their own book.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

The Fire Raptor is available to Chaos in 40k and is completely fluffy for Iron Warriors, if only because they force you to take Warpsmiths. Also they're rad as gently caress

CyberLord XP posted:

It is by far the dumbest model in all of 40k, and that's saying something.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Fire Raptor is available to Chaos in 40k and is completely fluffy for Iron Warriors, if only because they force you to take Warpsmiths. Also they're rad as gently caress

It is by far the dumbest model in all of 40k, and that's saying something.

Actually i think you only need one if you want to take a second Relic of the Armoury.
E:http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/F/fire-raptor.pdf yup, only need that warpsmith if you are taking a second Relic of the Armoury.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 11, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hencoe posted:

Actually i think you only need one if you want to take a second Relic of the Armory.

Even better. Take two of them. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeaaaaaah

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Oh man, I hadn't thought of a Fire Raptor. That looks like a beast. A sexy beast. My army even has a lot of trouble popping light transports and this thing can kill 3 a turn. God drat. Okay, next big ham purchase is gonna be one of these. The probably-mandatory Warsmith makes it Iron Warriors as gently caress.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I seem to recall the Raptor kit doesn't come with the Reaper Autocannon turrets, which sucks as they are pretty much a must-take upgrade. They might have changed that though.

Or just get a Sicaran, and tell people it has skyfire for free because it's such a cool model.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

Oh man, I hadn't thought of a Fire Raptor. That looks like a beast. A sexy beast. My army even has a lot of trouble popping light transports and this thing can kill 3 a turn. God drat. Okay, next big ham purchase is gonna be one of these. The probably-mandatory Warsmith makes it Iron Warriors as gently caress.

It's a gorgeous model, at least in pictures. I might be buying one this week at Gencon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
^^^^^It'll probably be a bit before I can get one of my own, so let me know what you think if you get one!

It says it can be armed with either in the product description, so I'm assuming it comes with both. Two reaper batteries for 10 points is a loving steal though.

• Locked thread