Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr President posted:

internet ID politic obsessed liberals

You're giving up the game way too easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol at not knowing snagglepuss is gay because you are dumb or a homophobic troll.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bahaha haahahaha this is American Dracula bs all over again. Who the gently caress cares so much for Snagglepuss enough to start screaming about "ID politics"? Like, Ameri....., I mean Mr. President are you such a huge loving Snagglepuss fan that this offends you somehow? Were you holding out for that Snagglepuss comic that would once and for all show what a bloody ladies man Snagglepuss was? Is this going to destroy all those Snagglepuss' cartoons that you obsessively watch every single day?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honeychile72000 on the most accurate of sites, Yahoo! Answers says he is gay, and it's against the law to lie on Yahoo! Answers.

Case closed/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

err... Happy page 200, everyone!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Mr President posted:

No hate. I just want them to introduce new gay characters instead of being cowardly and retroactively making existing characters gay just to get headlines and free marketing.

I appreciate that. Like I said I mean no disrespect to the LGBTQA community I just don't like when this stuff feels forced.

No, you don't understand. I'm not saying you should feel ashamed for thinking that it'd be great if they introduce new gay characters. But you are incredibly, actively hateful against anything that doesn't fit that very narrow viewpoint. It seems like you only use this viewpoint as a defense, as a way to rebuff people calling you out for being against representation.

You don't see these changes and shrug your shoulders and think to yourself "I'd rather them introduce new gay characters but oh well." You fight it, obviously angrily. You can't honestly tell me you have some deep, serious connection and love for Snagglepuss, do you? How do you even know about Snagglepuss's sexuality? Was that a serious aspect of the old cartoon that you think they're sullying? Why couldn't Snagglepuss, of all characters, be gay? It clearly isn't about being "true" to the character, I didn't see you being angry about how the Flintstones comics weren't true to the original intent of the cartoon or the cartoon's creators with its biting social commentary and dark storytelling.

But Snagglepuss is gay? We can't have that, that would be absurd. Of course he was straight! That's the default, even if you didn't really know Snagglepuss's sexual tastes until now.

See, you only condemn. You spit and hate on anything that you can even vaguely, tangentially classify as "changing" a character's sexuality. That's why people call you hateful. Even here, you call these changes cowardly. What is cowardly about this change? Who is cowering? This sounds like a buzzword right out of a right wing radio host. An insult to take to heart without any meaning behind it. Who is coward for making Snagglepuss gay?

And this pattern of yours extends to other things, like all the distressingly racist comments you've made in the past. You don't seem to care about anything aside from race and sexuality, and the only reason you care is so you can hate anything that isn't straight and white.

I guess I'll stop here. Like everyone else it feels like suspiciously like a troll. It's a shame you blew 10 bucks to rant against gay and non-white characters. You could've tossed it at your favorite charity.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 2, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The funny thing is that he says that he hates when they do it to existing characters retroactively when he cites Batwoman as one of the diversity characters he is totally cool with when he tries to reassure everyone he totally isn't a bigot.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao oh my god why the gently caress do you care, AD/Mr Pres???? It's a pink mountain lion cartoon!!! Why does this bother you???? Are you secretly gay and hate yourself so this is how you lash out?

But yeah....that dude is GAY. He's pink and loves fashion. A total homosexual imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Snagglepuss was already a gay icon long before this according to several of my gay friends.

President Dracula is just an rear end in a top hat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's a shame you blew 10 bucks to rant against gay and non-white characters. You could've tossed it at your favorite charity.

I'd rather him spend the 10bux here than him give it to his local KKK chapter

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
On more positive terms, I think my panel of the week is I HAVE MORE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT ECONOMICS!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

pubic works project posted:

Lmao oh my god why the gently caress do you care, AD/Mr Pres???? It's a pink mountain lion cartoon!!! Why does this bother you???? Are you secretly gay and hate yourself so this is how you lash out?

But yeah....that dude is GAY. He's pink and loves fashion. A total homosexual imo.

As much as I enjoy homophobes being poo poo on, I don't think accusing them of being a closeted gay is the right way to go about it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

graybook posted:

On more positive terms, I think my panel of the week is I HAVE MORE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT ECONOMICS!

Ceiling Economist is the best character introduced this week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anyway, I just need a start date for Snagglepuss and I will immediately get it added to my pull list.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Is the Joe Kelly Space Ghost book canon with the new HB comics or no?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Almost definitely not, but that artist did an issue of Future Quest.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Almost definitely not, but that artist did an issue of Future Quest.

ah ok. Is it still worth reading though? I was planning on getting the first few HB trades to try them out and saw they recently reprinted the 2004 book.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Snagglepuss is clearly gay, and I also suspect that Huckleberry Hound is gay. This is more controversial, but I think I could sustain the point.

oh he was, he very much was, he just couldn't tell anyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyZs3EJgx8Q

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

ah ok. Is it still worth reading though? I was planning on getting the first few HB trades to try them out and saw they recently reprinted the 2004 book.

Future Quest is okay. A bit disappointing in how little Doc Shaner art is actually in it.
Flintstones is the only one I really love.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For all I criticize Flintstones it's absolutely in the high end of the H-B titles.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

For all I criticize Flintstones it's absolutely in the high end of the H-B titles.

I don't really care about Future Quest at all but according to what I've seen other people say it's a pretty good home title for all the H-B action/adventure stuff. The Flintstones is pretty much perfect because it's just the original show but realistically updated and truly "modern" in the sense that it feels like what it would be today if it were made today, rather than be a weird rear end "re-imagining" of some kind.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Scooby Apocalypse was trash. The dialog in that book just does not stop.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
So I see my library is starting to get Rebirth trades in. What series are most worth jumping into?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zeeman posted:

So I see my library is starting to get Rebirth trades in. What series are most worth jumping into?

Superman

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr President posted:

This wasn't Hanna-Barbera's decision. It was DC's and Mark Russells.

Are you also upset that Mark Russell turned Fred and Barney into war criminals and Bamm-Bamm into an orphan of the war crime? Just trying to get a baseline here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zeeman posted:

Superman, Batman (rough start), Green Arrow, Green Lanterns (rougher start)..

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the last Deathstroke about Chicago violence. Holy crap. It's a one-and-done story, so go do that.
Kinda wish the rest of the series was like this rather than caring about Deathstroke's superhero narrative (Not that that's bad. This is just way better.)

Edit: Regarding Rebirth trades, anything by Justice League.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr President posted:

Is the Joe Kelly Space Ghost book canon with the new HB comics or no?

Nothing Space Ghost related is canon if it contradicts his stint as a talk show host.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Skwirl posted:

Nothing Space Ghost related is canon if it contradicts his stint as a talk show host.

Any and all Space Ghost comics should basically conclude of him getting ready to call it quits and say, "I always did want to get into show business."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/dc-comics-snagglepuss-gay-playwright-reboot/?tu=dd

:allears:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

This is going to be like the Flinstones book where I'm going to read the threads here and, until the book is canceled, never be sure whether people are being ironic about loving a terrible book or if they're actually serious about liking... that.

I would not generally describe the things depicted in that preview page as 'complex and insightful' but I wasn't impressed by 'we committed a war crime, Barney' either.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Flintstones is great.

I don't think posting a single page/panel really does the series justice, because it's very easy to just look at the "We participated in genocide, Barney" thing and just go "Oh, it's a dumb edgy reboot, PASS!"
However, that would be ignoring the fact that while the series is pretty drat critical of society, I think the series isn't doing it just to be edgy or nihilistic. It feels genuine in turning The Flintstones into that kind of satire, and the writer's work on that has me excited for him to write Snagglepuss of all things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Funny (✔)

Edit: Try reading a full issue. I think the latest one's a good representation of the series, and you don't need to catch up to it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 3, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NorgLyle posted:

This is going to be like the Flinstones book where I'm going to read the threads here and, until the book is canceled, never be sure whether people are being ironic about loving a terrible book or if they're actually serious about liking... that.

I would not generally describe the things depicted in that preview page as 'complex and insightful' but I wasn't impressed by 'we committed a war crime, Barney' either.

Well people somehow think Flinstones is a satire so people just don't seem to know what words mean.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The Flintstones comic is maybe the closest thing we have to Classic Simpsons, in that it blends pointed mockery of certain aspects of our society with elaborate comedy stylings and genuine heart, empathy towards its central cast, whose biggest evil is that they don't know better because they're stone age people.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just astounded how much contention it causes in these forums.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you guys think Jabberjaw is gay?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fadam posted:

Do you guys think Jabberjaw is gay?

No. He had a drinking problem and married 4 times.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The goop monsters from the Herculoids were definitely gay tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm all about Framer's Intent for comic book characters which is why I support making the Thing a blob of lumpy oatmeal because THAT'S WHAT JACK KIRBY INTENDED, forget whoever that piece of poo poo who changed the character into his modern form in issues 30-102 of Fantastic Four.

Also I am 100% positive that Dracula wasn't American in BRAM STOKER THE CREATOR OF DRACULA'S mind so I think we need to re-retcon American Dracula out of continuity.