Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Looks like Amazon has picked up Lower Decks in a bunch of territories outside of the US. Show will be launching on January 22nd. Better late than never, I guess.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-lower-decks-transports-to-amazon-prime-in-multiple-international-territories

Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing the show, pirating is too much effort these days.

Hopefully season 2 will air simultaneously with the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Veotax posted:

Looks like Amazon has picked up Lower Decks in a bunch of territories outside of the US. Show will be launching on January 22nd. Better late than never, I guess.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-lower-decks-transports-to-amazon-prime-in-multiple-international-territories

Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing the show, pirating is too much effort these days.

Hopefully season 2 will air simultaneously with the US.

Consarnit why couldn't they use Netflix

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s posting one every day, this is yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGCV4D0aI8

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

He’s posting one every day, this is yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGCV4D0aI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMAn1XJcq_E

:frogsiren:

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The ending of Silicon Avatar is pretty dark. Dr Marr asks Data if her son would finally feel at peace now that she got revenge on the Crystalline Entity. He says nope your son would be very disappointed that you just threw away your entire career as a scientist. The gravity of the situation suddenly dawns on her and she looks utterly devastated. It holds on her expression for a few seconds then the episode just ends. I do appreciate that it's probably how the situation would actually play out. It's just striking because it's so abrupt and feels like such an un-TV ending.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shofixti posted:

The ending of Silicon Avatar is pretty dark. Dr Marr asks Data if her son would finally feel at peace now that she got revenge on the Crystalline Entity. He says nope your son would be very disappointed that you just threw away your entire career as a scientist. The gravity of the situation suddenly dawns on her and she looks utterly devastated. It holds on her expression for a few seconds then the episode just ends. I do appreciate that it's probably how the situation would actually play out. It's just striking because it's so abrupt and feels like such an un-TV ending.
Yeah that whole episode is very tragic

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
drat y'all, so - I was born the year TNG started and grew up watching TNG/DS9/VOY both new and in syndication (parents are also huge nerds), but I never really made much distinction between them as a kid. They were all just Star Trek. A few years ago I watched all of DS9 and then all of TOS, and just now during quarantine I watched all of DS9 again, so I thought - ok, now let's finally do TNG from start to finish!

Five episodes in, and I'm astonished that this didn't get cancelled before whatever the point is where it's supposed to get good. I'm gonna keep going but I will be playing vidja games on my laptop at the same time for a while.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Which TNG episode has three Datas trying to drop antimatter into a stream of something? For some reason I must have skipped that episode this rewatch but I'll be damned if I can remember which episodes I skipped now that I'm through S5, there are so many to remember. That's all I remember about the episode but I think that was literally like the first Star Trek memory I have.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"We'll Always Have Paris"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That episode is very dull

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Five episodes in, and I'm astonished that this didn't get cancelled before whatever the point is where it's supposed to get good. I'm gonna keep going but I will be playing vidja games on my laptop at the same time for a while.

Hey you know what, the next two (Where No One Has Gone Before, Lonely Among Us) are actually not bad at all. Minor annoyances but the overall plots are pretty interesting. And I LOVED the ending of Lonely Among Us. These two warring alien groups are really being built up as critically important to something in the narrative, and then by the end of the episode they've totally stopped mattering and you've almost forgotten they exist, and then after the A plot is all wrapped up it's revealed that one of them ATE another one and Picard just says, "never mind, I'm walking out of this narrative thread forever." End of episode. Hilarious!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

showbiz_liz posted:

Hey you know what, the next two (Where No One Has Gone Before, Lonely Among Us) are actually not bad at all. Minor annoyances but the overall plots are pretty interesting. And I LOVED the ending of Lonely Among Us. These two warring alien groups are really being built up as critically important to something in the narrative, and then by the end of the episode they've totally stopped mattering and you've almost forgotten they exist, and then after the A plot is all wrapped up it's revealed that one of them ATE another one and Picard just says, "never mind, I'm walking out of this narrative thread forever." End of episode. Hilarious!

I just watched this with my girlfriend yesterday and we were both laughing hysterically at the ending. It’s just so wonderfully underplayed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

showbiz_liz posted:

You're already at the point where season 1 takes flight a little better. It's really the first half dozen episodes or so that are rough getting through. There's some pretty decent stuff ahead of you now for the most part.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Last night we had a bit of a marathon, watching First Contact followed by the first 2 episodes of DS9 season 6.

I have to say I'm definitely more and more coming around to the (oft-stated) opinion that the TNG movies really don't have much of value in them. It's really tough trying to watch these while also going through the best parts of DS9. I was confident that even though Generations was obviously a hot mess, FC would be great viewing. But it was thoroughly just OK. I remember it seeming so badass as a kid, but I guess at this point I've seen so many better action movies, and the character stuff isn't much to speak of. And there's not a whole lot of tension in the Cochrane plot, despite it being generally played pretty well. Everything looks fantastic, but the Cochrane plot never really rises above TV level, despite its importance to Star Trek mythology. And we all know the issues with Picard's character here, so I won't go over those again.

DS9 season 6 though, that's just amazing. "Rocks and Shoals" in particular. It's hard to pick a favorite aspect of that episode because both plots nail it. But the thing that sticks out most is the two parallel sequences of Kira's morning routine, pre- and post- incident at the promenade protest. That's some truly brilliant directing and acting.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

showbiz_liz posted:

Shows used to be given a lot more leeway, and viewers had less options so viewership for bad TV didn't crater quite as rapidly.

Also, TNG S1 is worse by modern standards than it was by the standards of the time. Which isn't to say that it made for great 1980s TV, but there was a lot of stuff that was even worse that still made it through a few seasons.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Shows used to be given a lot more leeway, and viewers had less options so viewership for bad TV didn't crater quite as rapidly.

Also, TNG S1 is worse by modern standards than it was by the standards of the time. Which isn't to say that it made for great 1980s TV, but there was a lot of stuff that was even worse that still made it through a few seasons.

Yeah, I'm just spoiled by having watched all of DS9 right before this, which only had one episode I truly can't stand (Profit and Lace). Even Move Along Home and Melora, which get held up as awful disasters, are really just kind of meh, while a lot of these early TNG episodes are objectively much worse.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I've never understood the hatred for Move Along Home; for a lot of fans it seems way over the top for what that episode is. Even the most meh of DS9's episodes are better than a lot of TV series' best episodes.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never understood the hatred for Move Along Home; for a lot of fans it seems way over the top for what that episode is. Even the most meh of DS9's episodes are better than a lot of TV series' best episodes.

Move Along Home is a great Trek episode. Unfortunately it's a great TOS episode.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

Move Along Home is a great Trek episode. Unfortunately it's a great TOS episode.

I'm now picturing Kirk and Spock jumping about saying "Allamaraine" and I hate you for it a little.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Melora is really not that bad. It's not good, but it's not some awful episode.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like it unironically. The set design is a bit naff is all.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i mostly dont like melora because it creates some very strange boundaries about the womans condition that result in her making what seems to be a totally insane choice. even when its pseudoscience, its basically impossible to believe "ok after we've cured your condition, even a short visit to zero-g five years from now will destroy your central nervous system" and its the only thing that results in her deciding to remain handicapped forever

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Neither of those episodes is literally unwatchable or anything, but they're still pretty bad. Move Along Home is meme-worthy but way more dull than it should be, given the bonkers premise and actually quite amazing set design. And Melora, well, the titular character is just an absolute chore. It's hard to imagine anyone's reaction at the end of the episode being anything other than "welp, glad she's gone"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why do they bring Kira and Odo along on Defiant missions

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nodosaur posted:

why do they bring Kira and Odo along on Defiant missions

They get lonely if you leave them at home

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ha

But seriously they're not Starfleet what are they doing there

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nodosaur posted:

Ha

But seriously they're not Starfleet what are they doing there

The Sisko demands it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also "The Adversary" puts Odo on communications. Can ANYONE do that job? It makes Uhura look bad.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The real-life answer is that the Defiant was created as a way to let most (or all) of the cast have adventures off-station. You can only fit about four actors in the runabout cockpit set, and the size of it means they can't really do much beyond sit and poke at their consoles. Babylon 5 ran into the same problem, which is how we got the White Stars.

In-universe, my guess is that after Sisko requisitioned the Defiant, the Federation had to do a little bit of negotiation with the Bajoran government over basing rights, since DS9 was jointly operated by Starfleet and the Bajoran Militia. The Bajoran government probably made the Defiant's reassignment to DS9 conditional on the senior militia representatives (Kira and Odo) being allowed to command the ship, as well as the ship being available to handle whatever issues need to be handled in Bajoran space. "Realistically" the Defiant could have had its own separate crew and be wholly under Starfleet control, but that would defeat the purpose of introducing the silly thing to begin with.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My question is who’s running the station when everyone’s running of in the Defiant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The soulless minions of orthodoxy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

My question is who’s running the station when everyone’s running of in the Defiant.
Lt. George Primmin, Starfleet Security

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The EMH (Emergency Messiah Hologram)

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
Just wanting to give a heads up. Was going through Wal-Mart tonight and they had a Polar Lights Model display up advertising having a model for the Discovery. Didn't see one of those, but bought the following:
Refit Enterprise
NX-74205 Defiant
NX-01 kit that allows you to build it like it was on the show or the speculated refit version

All are 1:1000. The documentation for one of the models advertised an Oberth model.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

Rom.

I think Melora doesn't hang together mostly because Melora is not disabled in the sense that a human in a wheelchair is. She is in a hostile environment of unusually high gravity requiring her to use a travel chair. It's like those guys with the breath things in TNG. It would have worked better if her alien makeup represented that she was a Trantorian or whatever, and Trantorian neural tissue can't be regenerated. Or something.

Like I get it, and if I wasn't a deep SF nut it wouldn't bother me, but it's a flaw in the premise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angry Salami posted:

:j: "So this is really easy. When a freighter hails you, just answer them -- that's this button here -- and then you just pick one of the open docking ports on that screen, and tell them to go there."
:v: "But... this makes no sense. Why am *I* doing this? I'm a clergyman, I work in the Bajoran Temple down in the Promenade. Shouldn't there be a logistics team or something to handle this?"
:j: "I usually do this, and I'm the Science Officer. You make just as much sense in this job as I do."
:v: ...
:j: ...
:v: *pushes button* "Freighter Z'Dar, you're cleared to dock at lower pylon 3."
:j: "Good man. We'll be back soon."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I think Melora doesn't hang together mostly because Melora is not disabled in the sense that a human in a wheelchair is. She is in a hostile environment of unusually high gravity requiring her to use a travel chair. It's like those guys with the breath things in TNG. It would have worked better if her alien makeup represented that she was a Trantorian or whatever, and Trantorian neural tissue can't be regenerated. Or something.

Like I get it, and if I wasn't a deep SF nut it wouldn't bother me, but it's a flaw in the premise.

It's also extra flawed because they explicitly establish that it's only like this on DS9 and on most places she just has to wear an antigrav belt.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Marshal Radisic posted:

In-universe, my guess is that after Sisko requisitioned the Defiant, the Federation had to do a little bit of negotiation with the Bajoran government over basing rights, since DS9 was jointly operated by Starfleet and the Bajoran Militia. The Bajoran government probably made the Defiant's reassignment to DS9 conditional on the senior militia representatives (Kira and Odo) being allowed to command the ship, as well as the ship being available to handle whatever issues need to be handled in Bajoran space. "Realistically" the Defiant could have had its own separate crew and be wholly under Starfleet control, but that would defeat the purpose of introducing the silly thing to begin with.

I think it was season 6 where they considered adding a second support ship stationed there that would have filled that role as being wholly to handle Starfleet business with it's own recurring characters, but the idea never panned out.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Angry Salami posted:

A family of Cardassian voles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seemlar posted:

I think it was season 6 where they considered adding a second support ship stationed there that would have filled that role as being wholly to handle Starfleet business with it's own recurring characters, but the idea never panned out.

That would have been cool, to really expand the idea that this is a real Starfleet base. Could have been an interesting dynamic with a crew of Starfleet regulars clashing with the DS9 regulars.