Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Nodosaur posted:

There’s also the whole premise asking us to forget space isn’t 2D, but that’s normal for Star Trek.

Space being presented as unrealistically small, especially the z axis, is one of those conceits that’s often necessary for storytelling but can become distracting at times.

It really annoys me in Redemption. The Romulans can't just warp around the tachyon detection grid? It's only 23 starships. Just go a light year to the left of them. Hell, a few hundred thousand kilometres would probably do. But the Romulans are furrowing their brows trying to defeat it with technobabble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Kira and Miles should have hooked up that one episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
O’Brien is the Bajoran physical ideal.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Indeed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

But seriously, “Rules of Engagement” has a Klingon lawyer who fails to make a case based on evidence and focuses entirely on Worf’s feelings. If that wasn’t enough, we’re supposed to believe it looks bad for Worf when his judgement comes down to a Vulcan of all people not only tolerating this guy’s constant ad hominem stunts, but that it also convinces her he might be guilty.

I’m sorry but... no, I just don’t like it.

I hate basically every Space Courtroom episode. They all progress pretty much like: opposing council makes a mildly effective argument that everyone involved should have immediately seen coming. Our heroes are Stunned and Chagrined and immediately call a recess. Only then do they bother space-googling possible counterarguments. This process repeats back and forth several times, until finally either 1. the episode runs out of time and whichever the latest flimsy counterargument the good guys presented is accepted by everyone as a slam dunk, or 2. a completely non-fact-based emotional appeal convinces the bad guys and/or the prosecutor to drop the case.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I like how in Measure of a Man there is no indication that the trial to determine Data's personhood took any longer than 30 minutes altogether.

Love that ep and most all space court eps tho

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

But seriously, “Rules of Engagement” has a Klingon lawyer who fails to make a case based on evidence and focuses entirely on Worf’s feelings. If that wasn’t enough, we’re supposed to believe it looks bad for Worf when his judgement comes down to a Vulcan of all people not only tolerating this guy’s constant ad hominem stunts, but that it also convinces her he might be guilty.

I’m sorry but... no, I just don’t like it.

There’s also the whole premise asking us to forget space isn’t 2D, but that’s normal for Star Trek.

The material facts of the case are Worf did shoot down that civilian freighter. That doesn't need to be proved. Worf's motivations are the key element of whether it was an unfortunate accident or active criminal negligence. It's the testimony of others showing he was primed to fire on anything and had even premeditated it and talked about it with others.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

showbiz_liz posted:

I hate basically every Space Courtroom episode. They all progress pretty much like: opposing council makes a mildly effective argument that everyone involved should have immediately seen coming. Our heroes are Stunned and Chagrined and immediately call a recess. Only then do they bother space-googling possible counterarguments. This process repeats back and forth several times, until finally either 1. the episode runs out of time and whichever the latest flimsy counterargument the good guys presented is accepted by everyone as a slam dunk, or 2. a completely non-fact-based emotional appeal convinces the bad guys and/or the prosecutor to drop the case.

All of the court drama episodes, up to at least DS9 (I haven't watched any series past that), have that basic pattern. Measure of a Man is probably the most effective and realistic of them, but I do like the real-time testimony effect in Rules of Engagement.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The material facts of the case are Worf did shoot down that civilian freighter. That doesn't need to be proved. Worf's motivations are the key element of whether it was an unfortunate accident or active criminal negligence. It's the testimony of others showing he was primed to fire on anything and had even premeditated it and talked about it with others.

That’s a good point. Maybe I need to reconsider it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rules of Engagement is a good episode

Plus you get Ron Canada as the Klingon lawyer and he really goes all in with that role

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Regardless of the courtroom realism or lack thereof, Sisko's dressing down of Worf afterward is pretty great. It gives the episode something resembling a point beyond just whether they win or lose the case.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ISN'T

IT

POSSIBLE

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

but I do like the real-time testimony effect in Rules of Engagement.

Same. The "talking directly to the camera during a flashback" thing really does add a lot of visual novelty to what would otherwise be an episode full of people sitting in a courtroom talking (with occasional cuts to normal flashbacks).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shofixti posted:

Space being presented as unrealistically small, especially the z axis, is one of those conceits that’s often necessary for storytelling but can become distracting at times.

It really annoys me in Redemption. The Romulans can't just warp around the tachyon detection grid? It's only 23 starships. Just go a light year to the left of them. Hell, a few hundred thousand kilometres would probably do. But the Romulans are furrowing their brows trying to defeat it with technobabble.

Star Trek space actually used the OG DooM engine until DS9, thus ships were infinitely tall until the mid 90s or so.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I actually really enjoy the one where O'Brien goes on trial in Cardassia, but that's because the court system in that episode isn't SUPPOSED to make logical sense by human standards.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

mythicknight posted:

Kira and Miles should have hooked up that one episode.
Keiko's clearly into it. He's just too Genetically Catholic and she's too Space Orthodox to figure that poo poo out.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I rewatched Star Trek: Nemesis after ten years, because while playing the Wasteland and Romulan Mystery storylines in Star Trek Online, I found myself asking "What did Remans do in Star Trek: Nemesis again? What's thalaron? Who is Donatra?" The game does a good job of explaining just about anything else for people who have never watched any particular part of the franchise, even what Vulcans and Trill are, though.

The opening scenes like the wedding were good, and I actually liked the dune buggy sequence, but then it just takes a nosedive once they try to establish Shinzon as the villain by having him be creepy toward Deanna Troi and then having her mind-raped for the umpteenth time. Before Shinzon's mask came off, Picard's response toward Shinzon saying "everything he did was for Reman liberation" being "How many Romulans died?" comes off as crass, like saying "How many slaveowners died for your freedom?" to a slave assisting John Brown. Picard also says that Shinzon "isn't Reman", but it seems like he should understand that someone can adopt another culture as their own.

Bringing cliche clone inadequacy into it was dumb when there were so many other motivations such as "We're warriors, and that's all we can ever be", the second half of that being the undoing of so many people, was right there in the same conversation. The B-4 storyline, or maybe just the part where Data uploads his memories to B-4, was a bad idea because it takes away from the impact of Data's sacrifice by making its outcome ambiguous. Data could already relate to the Picard/Shinzon issue because of Lore. They should've given the B-4 part of the movie, some of the scenes with Shinzon (many were redundant and included repeated lines), and half the action scenes to the cast aside from Picard and Data. There are a lot of deleted scenes on YouTube that are so much better than what they kept in. Aside from the B-4 part of the movie, the core idea is good and they didn't execute it as well as they could have, like many things in Star Trek. I thought it was a good movie, though, as far as movies go.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 23, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

galenanorth posted:

I rewatched Star Trek: Nemesis after ten years, because while playing the Wasteland and Romulan Mystery storylines, I found myself asking "What did Remans do in Star Trek: Nemesis again? What's thalaron? Who is Donatra?" The game does a good job of explaining just about anything else for people who have never watched any particular part of the franchise, even what Vulcans and Trill are, though.

The opening scenes like the wedding were good, and I actually liked the dune buggy sequence, but then it just takes a nosedive once they try to establish Shinzon as the villain by having him be creepy toward Deanna Troi and then having her mind-raped for the umpteenth time. Before Shinzon's mask came off, Picard's response toward Shinzon saying "everything he did was for Reman liberation" being "How many Romulans died?" comes off as crass, like saying "How many slaveowners died for your freedom?" to a slave assisting John Brown. Picard also says that Shinzon "isn't Reman", but it seems like he should understand that someone can adopt another culture as their own.

Bringing cliche clone inadequacy into it was dumb when there were so many other motivations such as "We're warriors, and that's all we can ever be", the second half of that being the undoing of so many people, was right there in the same conversation. The B-4 storyline, or maybe just the part where Data uploads his memories to B-4, was a bad idea because it takes away from the impact of Data's sacrifice by making its outcome ambiguous. Data could already relate to the Picard/Shinzon issue because of Lore. They should've given the B-4 part of the movie, some of the scenes with Shinzon (many were redundant and included repeated lines), and half the action scenes to the cast aside from Picard and Data. There are a lot of deleted scenes on YouTube that are so much better than what they kept in. Aside from the B-4 part of the movie, the core idea is good and they didn't execute it as well as they could have, like many things in Star Trek. I thought it was a good movie, though, as far as movies go.

Wasn't there also a line read bit (on the Enterprise set, I think) between Hardy & Stewart that feels way more authentic than what they went with? I remember that someone did a youtube video doing a compare & contrast and it's like night and day.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't there also a line read bit (on the Enterprise set, I think) between Hardy & Stewart that feels way more authentic than what they went with? I remember that someone did a youtube video doing a compare & contrast and it's like night and day.

I’ve seen this, and you’re right. I think it really comes down to Baird’s direction for everything seeming...off. The script really isn’t trash. It’s not fantastic, but in better hands, Nemesis could have gone down a lot smoother.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Hmm, yes, I agree: changing literally anything in Nemesis would have improved it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I’ve seen this, and you’re right. I think it really comes down to Baird’s direction for everything seeming...off. The script really isn’t trash. It’s not fantastic, but in better hands, Nemesis could have gone down a lot smoother.

Yeah the script was surprisingly competent for what it had to be, and the guy who wrote it has some quality work to this name elsewhere in Hollywood--Gladiator, The Aviator, The Last Samurai, Any Given Sunday, Rango, Skyfall--things start flying apart when you hand it to a guy who'd barely directed poo poo before that and hasn't done a thing in the director's chair since.

It makes me wonder what Nemesis would have been like if Frakes had directed it instead.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shofixti posted:

That's the episode that made the most sense since the blockade doesn't have to stop the Romulans dead, just block the most direct route so that going around takes longer than their allies can hold out. And they wisely never state exactly how wide the net is, those ships could've each been lightyears apart for all we know.

The only hard number stated is when Sela disrupts the grid around Data's ship, causing a gap of ten million kilometers' radius, but that doesn't mean anything in relation to the wider net.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just watched the TNG where Riker keeps getting abducted in his sleep and I always laugh at how the whole holodeck table scene escalates.

*Appears: Wooden incline table — perfectly innocent looking but weird*

“Make this a metal table”

*Appears: weird GITMO style torture table*

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
This is very good

https://youtu.be/3KvWwJ6sh5s

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Martytoof posted:

I just watched the TNG where Riker keeps getting abducted in his sleep and I always laugh at how the whole holodeck table scene escalates.

*Appears: Wooden incline table — perfectly innocent looking but weird*

“Make this a metal table”

*Appears: weird GITMO style torture table*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMeeIpIbOs&t=7s

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

McSpanky posted:

That's the episode that made the most sense since the blockade doesn't have to stop the Romulans dead, just block the most direct route so that going around takes longer than their allies can hold out. And they wisely never state exactly how wide the net is, those ships could've each been lightyears apart for all we know.

The only hard number stated is when Sela disrupts the grid around Data's ship, causing a gap of ten million kilometers' radius, but that doesn't mean anything in relation to the wider net.

I mean, that's fair they don't give numbers. I guess I always imagined it as relatively narrow tachyon beams traveling point to point between the ships like tripwires. If the ships were far enough apart to require a meaningful amount of warp travel time to circumvent the net, then the gaps in the net would probably be massive considering it's only 23 ships. But admittedly this is all based on me imagining it like a gigantic fishing net when it could have been more like a blanket.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
It's funny to me how joined Trill are established as having to be upright, noble, hardworking, smart members of society...and then the actual Dax Symbiont is reckless, stupid, and horny.
Torias crashed a spaceship a month after getting a body, Joran murdered a dude, Curzon was uh. Curzon. Jadzia constantly broke Trill laws, to the point she was nearly exiled for it. Alternate timeline Yedrin tried condemning the entire senior staff of DS9 to death.

If Dax was a host trying to get a symbiont, they'd be rejected INSTANTLY.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
what was Janeway's animal guide? wrong answers only

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Protagorean posted:

The DeWalt 20V MAX* XR® Brushless 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill/Driver

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Protagorean posted:

Garfield

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Protagorean posted:

She made friends with an alien monkey while chakotay was trying to get into her pants by promising to construct her a hot tub and talking about foot rubs.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 24, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Protagorean posted:

Spider-Barclay.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Protagorean posted:

salamander too obvious?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Protagorean posted:

The talking spider that tells her YOU SHOULD EAT HARRY.

Oh wait, you said wrong answers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Protagorean posted:

The Coffee in that Nebula

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The bones of Chakotay's ancestors

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

The talking spider that tells her YOU SHOULD EAT HARRY.

Oh wait, you said wrong answers.

Her spirit animal was Barclay?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CPColin posted:

The bones of Chakotay's ancestors

They didn't have bones, they were made of rubber.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Protagorean posted:

A sehlat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The whole thing with Kira and Mirror Bareil is funny. No, Kira, don't fall for it, he only looks like Vedek Bareil, but he has a completely different personali...... Y'know what, go get it, I'm not sure I see the problem here