Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I like the bit in the transcript where Trump says

quote:

What is the thing with boats? Why do you discriminate against boats? No, I know, they come from certain regions. I get it.
and then Turnbull reflexively scrambles to explain that it's not a racist policy, forgetting that that would have won him points with Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
lol

quote:

Trump at other moments sought to sweet-talk Peña Nieto, telling him that “you and I will always be friends,” and that if they could resolve their disputes over the border and trade, “We will almost become the fathers of our country — almost, not quite, okay?”

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Shifty Pony posted:

I wonder if Trump understands that the vast majority of the duties of the job follow him no matter what.

I could see him getting really pissed off because I'm on vacation dammit stop bothering me with all this unimportant crap.
I'm thinking the people saying this is secretly a "vacation" to hide a medical procedure might have the right idea. I'm half-expecting Trump to mysteriously stay off-camera for a while, then suddenly appear with a super-obvious facelift and liposuction and whatever other cosmetic procedures he thinks will make him look better. He'd deny that any such thing happened, of course, even when we could still see the fresh stitches.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder how many times translators for foreign governments have just said "He's speaking nonsense' or "I think he's having a stroke.'

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

HappyHippo posted:

Incoming job approval rebound

Is some journalist somewhere adding up these days and their cost and comparing them to real Presidents?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The first US President to make peace with Mexico will go down as the father of the country!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mniot posted:

I like the bit in the transcript where Trump says
and then Turnbull reflexively scrambles to explain that it's not a racist policy, forgetting that that would have won him points with Trump.

And he just had to get a 'we stopped the boats' in there.

(he didn't stop the boats)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

quote:

Trump: Okay, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

Turnbull: They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

Trump: They were from wherever they were.

can't argue with that

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

While I can't argue with the rest of this, the 'conspiring with Nazis' bit is kind of overblown, especially when they literally had pope-sanctioned assassination squads trying to kill Hitler.

They helped hide Nazi's after the war.
And helped Hitler get to power using the Catholic Church within Germany.

And made Hitler the last pope.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Erebus posted:

can't argue with that

loving :lol:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Speaking "from the cathedral" like that is a really big deal. A big deal to the point that even when popes were a major political power and quasi ruler of large parts of europe they stayed away hard from that stuff. Like there is only a handful of things ever in all of catholic history spoken as infallible church doctrine and it's almost all very basic stuff about like, what happened to mary when she died and if you go to heaven when you die or after the judgement day. It's all theology stuff.

So, nothing then? Just tradition. Even if that is such a big deal, let's just say it's an interview or a press conference then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trump is a straight up retard.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder how many times translators for foreign governments have just said "He's speaking nonsense' or "I think he's having a stroke.'

i can't remember where I read it but apparently professional translators absolutely hate translating for trump since the translation makes them sound like morons.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Amazed watching President Deals works his magic like that. So impressive.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erebus posted:

can't argue with that

He sort of has an accidental point, since they were Kyrgyz citizens before coming to US (with one being born in Russia, IIRC).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dwarf74 posted:

While I can't argue with the rest of this, the 'conspiring with Nazis' bit is kind of overblown, especially when they literally had pope-sanctioned assassination squads trying to kill Hitler.

They conspired with the Nazis to start in order to guarantee their continued influence particularly in Bavaria, and stopped only when it was clear Hitler had played them like a fiddle and they were no longer benefitting from the arrangement.

At no point did they actually disavow fascism or the inevitable human rights abuses which occur under it, as seen from their perfect willingness to be a tool of the state in Franco's Spain, in exchange for certain benefits.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oh my god.

I can't believe these words left a U.S. President's mouth.

quote:

Trump: So we have a lot of problems with Mexico farther than the economic problem. We are becoming a drug-addicted nation and most the drugs are coming from Mexico or certainly from the southern border. But I will say this – you have that problem too. You have some pretty tough hombres in Mexico that you may need help with, and we are willing to help you with that big-league. But they have to be knocked out and you have not done a good job of knocking them out.

So we have to work together to knock that out. And I know this is a tough group of people, and maybe your military is afraid of them, but our military is not afraid of them.

quote:

Trump: Now getting back to the taxes for second, I have been given as President tremendous taxation powers for trade and for other reasons – far greater than anybody understands. The powers of taxation are tremendous for the President of the United States and if you study that you will see what I mean.

quote:

Trump: I want to tell you we are going to put a very substantial tax on the border coming into the United States because, honestly, we will not want your products unless your products are going to be taxed. I do not want the products and lesser tax.

quote:

Trump: Look, I was just elected with a majority - a huge majority - and a lot of them were hispanics. This will be good for our economy and the wall will be good for all of us. Lots of hispanics voted for me and they have family in your country. They will send money back and say, "We love this great Trump economy. Why isn't Nieto on board with Trump?"

Mexico has made a fortune out of the stupidity of U.S. trade representatives. They are beating us at trade and they are beating us at the border, and they are killing us with drugs. Now I know you are not involved with that, but regardless of who is making all the money, billions and billions and billions – some people say more – is being made on drug trafficking that is coming through Mexico. Some people say that the business of drug trafficking is bigger than the business of taking our factory jobs.

quote:

Trump: You gotta stop telling people that the wall won't work. The wall works for everyone. You know, you look at Israel – Israel has a wall and everyone said do not build a wall, walls do not work — 99.9 percent of people trying to come across that wall cannot get across and more. Bibi Netanyahu told me the wall works.

quote:

Trump: We have also hired at least 15,000 more men and women on the border – patrolling the border very carefully. I would love to continue talking. When Jared said, “the deal is off,” I was glad. Jared has a great feeling for the plan [the border wall], though I know it would be politically much more popular in Mexico.

Edit: lol, this is how he ends with the President of Mexico:

quote:

Trump: It is you and I against the world, Enrique, do not forget.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 3, 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
These transcripts prove the "there is more, and it is always worse" rule beyond any doubt for Trump being a loving stupid manchild.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Haha yes Mexico is going to let you deploy troops from another loving nation on their soil to help deal with their cartel issue. What a loving idiot.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/893110347728650241

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Trump did not win New Hampshire

i saw the tweets on this comment on the subway and it took me a solid 15 minutes to remember this

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

He says you have, em, no he has, wait, you have, no again that he has, big hands? No wait big man ideas, no now he is taking about Ivanka and what hed do with his hands.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump is legitimately stupid as gently caress.

quote:

Trump: Do you know four years ago Malcom, I was with a man who does this for a living. He was telling me, before the migration, that if you were a Christian from Syria, you had no chance of coming to the United States. Zero. They were the ones being persecuted. When I say persecuted, I mean their heads were being chopped off. If you were a Muslim we have nothing against Muslims, but if you were a Muslim you were not persecuted – but if you were a Muslim from Syria that was the number one place to get into the United States from. That was the easiest thing. But if you were a Christian from Syria you have no chance of getting into the United States. I just thought it was an incredible statistic.

Totally true – and you have seen the same thing. It is incredible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

I'm thinking the people saying this is secretly a "vacation" to hide a medical procedure might have the right idea. I'm half-expecting Trump to mysteriously stay off-camera for a while, then suddenly appear with a super-obvious facelift and liposuction and whatever other cosmetic procedures he thinks will make him look better. He'd deny that any such thing happened, of course, even when we could still see the fresh stitches.

i dont think trump has the ability to admit to himself that anything about himself is imperfect at all

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

There Bias Two posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/06/trump-translation-interpreters

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

for what its worth this is the sort of leaks that are actually really bad and shouldn't be happening - and never happened before

these convos are supposed to be kept tight so that leaders can be honest with each other and get stuff resolved and all the people involved know that...but they apparently have no respect whatsoever for trump so here we are!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Trump just said he had great relationships with other world leaders. So of course that's a lie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.01c9017e0263

Holy loving poo poo, he keeps calling the Mexican President by his first name while Peña Nieto only uses the more formal Mr. President.

I really like how he asks the Australian President to say hello to Greg Norman for him. Like the President of Australia is likely to just bump into him. I'm not sure if Norman even lives in Australia anymore.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
With New Hampshire being close, it wouldn't surprise me if a long time ago Donnie thought "there were probably thousands of illegal votes in New Hampshire so actually I probably won" and then his addled brain, playing telephone with itself, eventually translated that as "I won New Hampshire."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

for what its worth this is the sort of leaks that are actually really bad and shouldn't be happening - and never happened before

these convos are supposed to be kept tight so that leaders can be honest with each other and get stuff resolved and all the people involved know that...but they apparently have no respect whatsoever for trump so here we are!

wait are the leaks coming from other countries? because wow that's somehow even more damning than if they're coming from the white house

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

evilweasel posted:

Are you disappointed?

I, for one, support any and all leaks from the WH that don't endanger national security or get anyone killed. And so far, none of them satisfy those latter categories.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I hope this happens and Obama runs against Trump. Campaign Obama without Presidential duties ie Campaign Obama 1.0 was amazing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

wait are the leaks coming from other countries? because wow that's somehow even more damning than if they're coming from the white house

i assume the white house, rather than leakers in both mexico and australia leaking at the same time

the people who have no respect for trump are everyone involved but i was thinking specifically of the ones on our side

the mexican and australian transcripts would probably accurately transcribe "bigly" :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

i saw the tweets on this comment on the subway and it took me a solid 15 minutes to remember this

Well, it's the main Trump problem - you and I, and most people, would make sure this is true before we said it. Trump just says whatever he wants to believe.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Nah that's clearly the whitehouse.

If Australia leaked this it would be a debacle. Major diplomatic incident and people in our Foreign Affairs department would be in jail.

This is not a good sign, but does mark an amazing new phase of insanity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BlueberryCanary posted:

Are you disappointed?

I, for one, support any and all leaks from the WH that don't endanger national security or get anyone killed. And so far, none of them satisfy those latter categories.

nope, it's more important to shine a light on the roach in the white house, but we should keep it in mind for semi-normal presidents - and it also puts into perspective just how despised trump is among the people who are working closely with him

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i assume the white house, rather than leakers in both mexico and australia leaking at the same time

the people who have no respect for trump are everyone involved but i was thinking specifically of the ones on our side

i believe the post piece explicitly mentions that these transcripts were reviewed and classified by the chief of the NSC, retired general keith kellogg - so we can be fairly certain they're from us.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is legitimately horrifying that the President of the United States is making immigration policy on the belief that the Syrian Civil War has resulted in "no muslims" being persecuted or becoming refugees and that both sides of the war are targeting Christians.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So one day, people in history books will be reading these comments, laughing, and thinking to themselves Now I understand why there's a giant, radioactive wasteland between Canada and Mexico.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

evilweasel posted:

the mexican and australian transcripts would probably accurately transcribe "bigly" :v:

The transcripts also misspell Malcolm Turnbull's name, which would be oddly sloppy for the Aussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lote posted:

I hope this happens and Obama runs against Trump. Campaign Obama without Presidential duties ie Campaign Obama 1.0 was amazing.

Yeah, if Trump somehow changed the law to allow a third term (not that I think he'll win a second), Obama would absolutely run again and absolutely crush him.

Also I'd love to see more-experienced-Obama on the back of a blue wave.

• Locked thread