Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

syscall girl posted:

could they make a movie that was too fast or furious?

they already made one that was both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Proteus4994 posted:

I got real mad in the one where they steal the vault because they skipped a race in a goddamn movie about race mans

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

ahmeni posted:

I got real mad in the one where they steal the vault because they skipped a race in a goddamn movie about race mans

what are the movies even about anymore

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

rofl

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

good 2 know

as a kid i always wondered why there was a lovely knockoff ghostbusters that i refused to watch like who would even try that

now i know there was apparently some predating wanna-be ghostbusters

everything about that movie was stolen, even the title and the music

still a loving awesome film though

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
speaking of ghostbusters i think the ghostbusters secretary is the freudian root of all my sexual desires b.c i cant get enough of the new yorkie jewy fran dresncher voice jfc please give it to me

the more irritating and nasally the better

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

speaking of ghostbusters i think the ghostbusters secretary is the freudian root of all my sexual desires b.c i cant get enough of the new yorkie jewy fran dresncher voice jfc please give it to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-Z_gVbsxc

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QnQ3MWp6tI

knock yourself out man

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how do you feel about marissa tomei

i know she's not really jewish but still

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

shameful admission but ive never heard this track b4 but yes exactly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

chumpchous posted:

how do you feel about marissa tomei

i know she's not really jewish but still

shes perfect in every way

e: i really lucked out w/ m,y current girlfriend, her voice is so irritating and nasal people either leave the room or gouge their ear drums out when she starts rambling, MYSELF INCLUDED!!!

Smythe fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 19, 2013

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Radio Paranoia posted:

what are the movies even about anymore

vin diesel and the rock
sometimes ill still watch the original and Tokyo drift because they're good dumb movies

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im watching ghostbusters right now

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Smythe posted:

im watching ghostbusters right now

shhhh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

cool biRd pics posted:

can you believe it?? the horse mask has been out for years now and there hasn't been even one murderer reported wearing it!!

People killed by swinging doors are written down as accidents.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smythe posted:

the only good thing about the second movie was annie potts -- great hair :swoon:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

im spurtin

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

You Am I posted:

i always wondered why they did Ghostbusters with characters that had nothing to do with the movie

iirc they had the rights to the name and were ordered to either make something or give up their rights, so they pushed out a lovely cartoon and the movie had to pay them to use the name.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
why wouldn't you carry your phone like a normal person; in your goddamn pocket?

track how far you run, on a treadmill! because this functionality isn't built into treadmills already so

let's put a quadrocopter ON MARS! i'm sure we can do that for only $5000

some sort of new fandangled vibrator or something, wake up to an orgasm

now, let's talk wallets:

it's a wallet with a built in chain! OMFG! also, what the gently caress are lace anchors?

small monochromatic wallets that don't even protect the entirety of your plastic

this isn't a wallet, it's a piece of metal with some elastic straps attached to it, also bluetooth

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
also, the ooboontoo phone has 66hrs left to get $21m of funding.

i'm sure they're just using this campaign to get initial capital funding via a proof of concept, and weren't really expecting it to get funded

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Migishu posted:

also, the ooboontoo phone has 66hrs left to get $21m of funding.

i'm sure they're just using this campaign to get initial capital funding via a proof of concept, and weren't really expecting it to get funded

The Edge will NOT be available to buy at launch.

one helluva launch

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

OUR KICKSTARTER GOAL: Before a live audience, we will produce a critical Phase I proof-of-concept flight demonstration: Specifically, we will fly a modified commercial quadcopter off the deck of a custom-designed and assembled rover mock-up -- blow simulated martian dust from the rover's solar panels using the copter's downdraft -- record high-definition video and photos of the rover's surroundings to demonstrate local-terrain mapping potential -- return and dock with the rover's power system -- autonomously charge the copter's internal battery using the rover's solar panels -- then take off again.

i mean that's pretty much going to mars right guys? don't worry i bet he's played a lot of ksp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

come to my car and we'll get that shirt 100% off

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

People killed by swinging doors are written down as accidents.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Orbi posted:

OUR KICKSTARTER GOAL: Before a live audience, we will produce a critical Phase I proof-of-concept flight demonstration: Specifically, we will fly a modified commercial quadcopter off the deck of a custom-designed and assembled rover mock-up -- blow simulated martian dust from the rover's solar panels using the copter's downdraft -- record high-definition video and photos of the rover's surroundings to demonstrate local-terrain mapping potential -- return and dock with the rover's power system -- autonomously charge the copter's internal battery using the rover's solar panels -- then take off again.

its about time someone schooled the mars rover teams at NASA on the possibilities of long-range autonomous flight vehicles!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

true story i had a dream last night that i was feelin around one of my tshirts trying to find where id put the collar stay when magically my shirt grew a collar and i stuck my finger in the collar stay hole and woke up rigth away. turns out i was shoving my finger inside my dickhole and it really hurtt pls dont supprot this project

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Orbi posted:

i mean that's pretty much going to mars right guys? don't worry i bet he's played a lot of ksp

yes let's fly a quadrocopter on a planet with almost no fuckin air :psyduck:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the rich autistic guy who makes x-plane wrote up a big ol' thing about building planes for martian flight when he added mars to x-plane and it's mildly interesting, if only for his exuberant use of capital letters

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

brb wrong thread

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 20, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Werthog 95 posted:

the rich autistic guy who makes x-plane wrote up a big ol' thing about building planes for martian flight when he added mars to x-plane and it's mildly interesting, if only for his exuberant use of capital letters

he rules btw

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

this is beautiful, this guy reminds me of someone but i can't think of who

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

it's pretty cool when autism can be used for good

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
as far as autismprojects go, x-plane is pretty awesome

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh i missed this

Yes the air is thin -- about equal to 100,000 feet in the Earth's atmosphere.

Yet the whole story is a bit more complicated than that, because reducing air pressure by a factor of 100 doesn't one-for-one reduce the number of air molecules by a factor of 100. It turns out the factor is more like 42 (Douglas Adams was right after all).

Next we see that martian gravity is 1/3 that of Earth -- 42 divided by 3 is 14.

Now lets double the number of rotors -- giving a factor of 7 worse performance than on Earth without doing anything more than adding another set of rotors.

If we then build everything with super light weight composites, maybe the copter's weight can be cut in half -- and now the rotors only need to work 3.5 better to make up for the martian conditions.

Suddenly it seems plausible that slightly bigger rotors that spin a little bit faster might be enough to do the job.

Of course those are all "back of the envelop" estimates -- but I see enough here to suggest that we're not crazy to suggest that micro-copters could be made to fly at Mars.

this guy is supposedly employed by brown :psyduck:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

oh i missed this

Yet the whole story is a bit more complicated than that, because reducing air pressure by a factor of 100 doesn't one-for-one reduce the number of air molecules by a factor of 100. It turns out the factor is more like 42 (Douglas Adams was right after all).

Now lets double the number of rotors -- giving a factor of 7 worse performance than on Earth without doing anything more than adding another set of rotors.

If we then build everything with super light weight composites, maybe the copter's weight can be cut in half -- and now the rotors only need to work 3.5 better to make up for the martian conditions.

Suddenly it seems plausible that slightly bigger rotors that spin a little bit faster might be enough to do the job.

Of course those are all "back of the envelop" estimates -- but I see enough here to suggest that we're not crazy to suggest that micro-copters could be made to fly at Mars.

look he's doing his research work from a bistro

that math can get a little meshy

Dec 26, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

hahahahahaha

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
don't choppers have a really limited altitude range to begin with?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Werthog 95 posted:

oh i missed this

this is stupid, everyone knows mars is ornithopter country

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
kickstart my 1950s vision of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a mars day is slightly longer than earth so this is like putting it on a turntable counter to earth rotation.

did he calculate this???

• Locked thread