Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

yoloer420 posted:

Did penis inspection day get cancelled?

But really, what was this about? I didn't hear anything about genital checks or their cancellation.

NSW police got into a little trouble over illegal strip searches. And then doing some more after being told not to. Including to a bunch of children as young as 11.

I was also referencing when the Sydney police set up strip search tents and sniffer dogs in major train stations just to make sure people going about their day got screened for drug possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

yoloer420 posted:

Were any of them enforced?

Ya lol

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

JBP posted:

I will obey the rules.

Itsfine

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

(and may we all remind the Prime Minster, there are STILL people waiting for their FIRST jab).

Who is "waiting" for their first jab unless they're a "waiting for Novavax" nutter?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

freebooter posted:

Who is "waiting" for their first jab unless they're a "waiting for Novavax" nutter?

Probably meaning kids under 12.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Kids aren't people wtf.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Kids aren't people wtf.

They also dont get the virus because their noses are too small for the virus.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I know that's true for cocaine but I don't think it applies to covid.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Snap press meeting today where Scomo discussed national cabinet plans which are still 'let er rip':

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7565646/emergency-national-cabinet-to-determine-close-contact-definition/?cs=14264

quote:

PM Scott Morrison says national cabinet will consider close contact definition, Commonwealth to fund rapid tests

Only people who live with a confirmed COVID-19 case would be classified as a close contact under a proposal to be considered by national cabinet.

[...]

The Prime Minister said a person who briefly visited a restaurant while a COVID-19 [sic] was present would not be forced into isolation.

"We can't have everybody just being taken out of circulation because they just happen to be at a particular place at a particular time," he said.

"The uncertainty of that, the impacts on the economy, and particularly given the fact we are not seeing this impact on our hospital system means that it's an impractical way to live with the virus in this next phase."

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Yeah hospital's not been impacted at all, and I can't see any reason why we won't have smooth sailing from here on, no sir!

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

Snap press meeting today where Scomo discussed national cabinet plans which are still 'let er rip':

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7565646/emergency-national-cabinet-to-determine-close-contact-definition/?cs=14264

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helith posted:

Probably meaning kids under 12.

Fair enough but they're waiting on the medical authorities to authorise it for them, and I'm not sure what Morrison can be expected to do about that

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Centusin posted:

It's very weird the way people obsessively focus on scomo and perrotet when victoria are doing the exact same thing and also had a record today, it's not March 2020 anymore and case numbers aren't the only worthwhile metric

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to hear anything Scomo or NSW because they are they fuckheads who caused this outbreak and -forced- all the other states to give up on Covid Zero because they are/were too lazy and incompetent to get their numbers under control (plus the NSW libs who wanted to Let It Rip)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Pleasant Friend posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to hear anything Scomo or NSW because they are they fuckheads who caused this outbreak and -forced- all the other states to give up on Covid Zero because they are/were too lazy and incompetent to get their numbers under control (plus the NSW libs who wanted to Let It Rip)

You're responding to the NSW lib staffer SA acc

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

Only people who live with a confirmed COVID-19 case would be classified as a close contact under a proposal to be considered by national cabinet.

So I could be invited up to someone's apartment, or take someone to a hotel, have an eight hour gently caress session where we get all up in and around each other's faces, and this would not be considered a close contact.

Stunning.

The best thing about lowering the bar in terms of tracking contacts is how much easier that's going to be in terms or containing the spread.:saddowns:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm sure all these people that have gotten covid all live toegether in one big place.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

So I could be invited up to someone's apartment, or take someone to a hotel, have an eight hour gently caress session where we get all up in and around each other's faces, and this would not be considered a close contact.

Stunning.

The best thing about lowering the bar in terms of tracking contacts is how much easier that's going to be in terms or containing the spread.:saddowns:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol Phase 4: Sucking and loving is no longer close contact.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TheMostFrench posted:

quote:

PM Scott Morrison says national cabinet will consider close contact definition

Drunk ministers getting handsy with their aides no longer counts as a close contact and will no longer be investigated by the police

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Helith posted:

It's being reported that Scotty has called a national cabinet meeting for tomorrow.
I thought Scotty was on holidays?

Holidays during a national crisis? Never!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Breetai posted:

Stunning.

Going the Trump route - the best way to make bad number go down is if we stop testing

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Testing centres are literally already far over capacity. It's over. I don't mean to go full doomer here but at this point there's nothing the government can do except increase hosptial capacity as much as possible to cope with the incoming wave of hospitalization and death.

This has been a total capitulation of leadership in a time of crisis. They squandered the immeasurable advantage we had and made the wrong decision at literally every opportunity. Turns out "she'll be right mate" is a dogshit way to run a country.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

abigserve posted:

Turns out "she'll be right mate" is a dogshit way to run a country.

thread title

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This doesn't really feel like a bad decision per se (though obviously born of a bad situation) because I currently have no idea what the legal directives are with respect to self-isolating if you're a close contact, or how enforceable those requirements are. I assume you'll still get notified if a positive case was at a venue you entered, because otherwise what's the point of QR check-ins? And so people like me who WFH can then choose to test and self-iso but e.g. the nurse or the garbo or the Woolies warehouse worker doesn't have to take 14 days off work just because they happened to pick up a takeaway coffee from a cafe where an asymptomatic vaccinated case was sitting across the room.

Like, I'm sure the anxieties of business etc are influencing this also, but if we really are about to see a massive explosion in cases then having huge swathes of the workforce have to self-iso would impact on critical services, not just on the Number Go Up parts of the economy.

(The next step, when you know it's really bad, will be when we do what Belgium did at the start of this year and say to healthcare workers that it doesn't matter if you've tested positive and have symptoms, you need to come into work anyway because otherwise we literally can't staff the hospitals.)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

freebooter posted:

I assume you'll still get notified if a positive case was at a venue you entered, because otherwise what's the point of QR check-ins?

SA health has dropped the ball so hard on this. My girlfriend got her face painted by someone who turned out to have COVID at the time. This was on the 12th. She logged a QR code on the day as he had one set up in order for anyone getting their face painted to get tracked, and the guy got tested/informed SA health about his status 3 days later. My girlfriend received no official contact in relation to this, and the guy's business has not as yet been updated. It will likely never be updated because the oldest listed COVID exposure sites listed on the SA health site are all more recent that that when sorted by exposure date. If we didn't happen to be contacted by someone who personally knew the guy and who related his positive test result to us, we would have blithely attended a Christmas celebration full of septuagenarian relatives untested.

Everyone involved did exactly the right thing and it didn't matter.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yep, checking in feels useless in SA now because most sites aren't being announced or people contacted because contact tracing can't keep up with a new case every minute.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Senor Tron posted:

Yep, checking in feels useless in SA now because most sites aren't being announced or people contacted because contact tracing can't keep up with a new case every minute.

I'm 99% sure that I could code something up in SQL that could produce a list of contacts given the info collected by the contact tracing app and the detail of people who test positive which would produce a table of new contacts including contact venue, date, and time that you could feed into an auto SMS program. Even if you ran it once a day it'd be better than nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

I'm 99% sure that I could code something up in SQL that could produce a list of contacts given the info collected by the contact tracing app and the detail of people who test positive which would produce a table of new contacts including contact venue, date, and time that you could feed into an auto SMS program. Even if you ran it once a day it'd be better than nothing.

Yeah, but that means they'd be hiring you, not some failkid of a minister's drinking buddy.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
It seemed like SA was about to get through the worst of it pretty drat lightly but now the ball has been dropped so hard that it's broken through the pavement and hit a gas main. Contract tracing is now a farce, exposure sites aren't being reported, and the guidelines aren't being enforced. And now every time I go out there's more and more people including retail staff not even bothering to pretend to wear a mask, for whatever dumb reason. I figured Let 'Er Rip was going to be the forever policy once the borders opened, I'd heard from healthcare workers that nothing has been done to prepare for the predictable, but I'm still amazed at how blatantly things are being mishandled, far worse than I imagined. The light at the end of the tunnel suddenly got a whole lot dimmer.

Not in a dark place personally or anything, friends and fam are great. Well, at least the ones that haven't gone crackers from the endless onslaught of conspiracist fearmongering on their socials, who I don't know how to help. Or the ones still stuck in limbo because SA pathology seems to have misplaced their tests or results after they were flagged as a CC on xmas eve, screwing up their family's plans.

Forgive me for venting here instead of anywhere else, I know we're still in first world problem territory compared to so much of the planet, also we haven't had to deal with extended lockdowns like vic/nsw, but I'm getting so tired of the bullshit.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Surely the entire point of QR checkins was a relatively hands off way of informing likely close contacts :negative:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Actually it's primary purpose was to track your shopping habbits

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I *think* the thing there is that the check-in just says you were at place X at Y time but doesn't include any details like what you were doing there, where you went, how close you went to other people, if you met anyone, etc

So you could fully automate casual contact notifications but you still need people to audit for close contacts

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

With the QR codes. I assumed that if I signed into the Frankston East Coles at 2:15 PM on Tuesday. What would happen is if someone else signed in between 2-3PM Tuesday that caught COVID, then I would get a message that I "might" be a contact and I should get tested. Seeing as they have my information and stuff.

Which sounds reasonable and cool and good to me.

But I also heard that the Service Victoria, (and other states equivalents), app that I am using to sign in to shops and stuff on doesn't actually do this, and to actually be contact traced etc. I should have got a different COVID Tracker app that nobody has, and less people, (including the authorities), use.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Sausages posted:

Forgive me for venting here instead of anywhere else, I know we're still in first world problem territory compared to so much of the planet, also we haven't had to deal with extended lockdowns like vic/nsw, but I'm getting so tired of the bullshit.

One of the reasons I'm surprised stuff has taken off so quick in SA and also that people are as you say dickheads about masks etc is because I would've assumed people would be more willing to embrace NPIs and COVID-safe measures precisely because they haven't had two years to get thoroughly sick of them.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-locking-itself-down-thousands-cancel-for-nye-despite-premier-s-plea-20211228-p59kgo.html?btis

quote:

From New Delhi to Paris and Berlin, some of the world’s biggest cities are cancelling all public New Year’s Eve celebrations in light of the Omicron strain of COVID-19.

In Sydney, however, NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet is urging Sydney’s revellers to forge ahead to stimulate the city’s battered economy after enduring 107 days of lockdown.

Despite the Premier’s plea to party on, hundreds of thousands of cancellations over the silly season indicate the city is preparing to lock itself down instead of dancing in the new year.

Begging people to spend money on the economy, just after telling everyone to take "personal responsibility" because the NSW government can't be hosed and gave up (again) after a couple weeks.

The best bit- the businesses that lobbied hard to let her rip are now seeing mass cancellations and plummeting customer numbers.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

One of the reasons I'm surprised stuff has taken off so quick in SA and also that people are as you say dickheads about masks etc is because I would've assumed people would be more willing to embrace NPIs and COVID-safe measures precisely because they haven't had two years to get thoroughly sick of them.

We didn't have the prolonged lockdown that Victoria did but we've still had lots of restrictions and mask requirements over the last couple of years.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I guess I can sort of see people not bothering with a mask when it was a "just in case" measure, but less so when they explode from basically nothing to thousands of active cases in less than a week.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

I guess I can sort of see people not bothering with a mask when it was a "just in case" measure, but less so when they explode from basically nothing to thousands of active cases in less than a week.

Lots of people still are, but also it's the same issue as elsewhere. When the messaging is that we're all gonna get it and things had to be opened for the economy, then plenty of people will also question if it's worth all the effort to just postpone getting it for a few weeks.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

abigserve posted:

I *think* the thing there is that the check-in just says you were at place X at Y time but doesn't include any details like what you were doing there, where you went, how close you went to other people, if you met anyone, etc

So you could fully automate casual contact notifications but you still need people to audit for close contacts

The reason it's not being used properly is because the data's complete junk, sure the check in's are probably mostly OK because someone's there was some responsibility put on businesses to make sure it was enforced, but no-one give a poo poo about you checking out so what percentage of the population do you think properly check out? I hear the "oh I always forget to check out on the app" story all the time.

So first you got a heap of work to make some sense of the data, like obviously the people aren't still there an hour after the store close, so you could use that as the worst case, but then you need a database of every places trading hours to cross reference.

Or you just use the data as it stands and then 3/4 of the population is now classed as casual contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pretty sure the NSW app checks you out when you check in somewhere else. You get a reminder at 2hrs at a pub/venue to check out.

but yeah I personally rarely have unless its so quick in/out that my phone didnt leave my hand.

People I know where checking out early at things (as in checking in, then checking out once they'd been to the bar and staying for however long they wanted to) before xmas because they didnt want to get pinged :downs: