Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

From a couple pages ago, but who the hell was arguing that Quark is a good character and a good person? He sells out the entire station like three episodes into season 2, nearly getting Dax killed, and he only helps Sisko and company retake the station and save Dax because he gets double crossed. The entire crew then acts like everything is forgiven simply because he helped at the end and it's never mentioned again. And that's only one of a multitude of instances where he does something illegal and ends up putting someone on the crew/the station in danger. I can't fathom why he wasn't locked up by Odo or Sisko forever. The only thing I ever liked about his character was his scene with Nog in the Siege of AR-558 where they talk about human nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

From a couple pages ago, but who the hell was arguing that Quark is a good character and a good person?

He doesn't have to be a good person to be a good character.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Quark is great. And he does awful poo poo. And, despite the awful poo poo, he is much more Fed-style moral than most Ferengi we see.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

showbiz_liz posted:

He doesn't have to be a good person to be a good character.

Quark is a good character in part because he isn't a good person. The TNG characters tended to be so squeaky clean that someone like Quark who wasn't a boy scout was refreshing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ferengi should be able to shoot poison from their eyes when scared

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Between the episode where Quark almost gets Dax killed and a later episode where he sells weapons to the Maquis I'm amazed he didn't get thrown in some Federation prison.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

Fanon is they didn't have antimatter warp engines. The "simple impulse" meaning fusion reactors because that's what starfleet uses to power impulse engines.

In reality it was the 60s and all of the writers were functioning alcoholics so it's a minor miracle the characters have the same names between episodes.

In my headcanon the Romulans spent centuries basically stagnating after leaving Vulcan. Deeply conservative and not much more advanced than late 21st century humans it would have taken that splinter group a long time just to rebuild back to where they were on Vulcan. Then they didn't have any major rivals or great desire to explore so things stayed largely at that point until they butted heads with Earth and then the Federation leading to a rapid advancement in abilities.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Quark is a good character in part because he isn't a good person.

Years ago I got into a..um...discussion over how it's possible to like a disreputable character but not like what they do or represent.

Apparently I am a monster because I liked Jack Bauer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’d agree

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Years ago I got into a..um...discussion over how it's possible to like a disreputable character but not like what they do or represent.

Apparently I am a monster because I liked Jack Bauer.

I could understand that if you missed the point of a character like, say, Scarface and thought they were someone to be admired and emulated. Part of what makes Quark such a great character is that he's morally complex without being someone whose behavior you'd want to copy.

Liking a lovely person doesn't make you a monster. Overlooking why they're a piece of poo poo and thinking that they're a role model is what would make you a monster.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gordon Shumway posted:

From a couple pages ago, but who the hell was arguing that Quark is a good character and a good person? He sells out the entire station like three episodes into season 2, nearly getting Dax killed, and he only helps Sisko and company retake the station and save Dax because he gets double crossed. The entire crew then acts like everything is forgiven simply because he helped at the end and it's never mentioned again. And that's only one of a multitude of instances where he does something illegal and ends up putting someone on the crew/the station in danger. I can't fathom why he wasn't locked up by Odo or Sisko forever. The only thing I ever liked about his character was his scene with Nog in the Siege of AR-558 where they talk about human nature.

lol equating legality with morality is authoritarian brained stupidity

as to him doing bad poo poo otherwise, yes and it's all precisely what his culture sees as virtuous and correct behavior. one of Quark's long running issues is that while he wants and tries to be a good Ferengi--meaning absolute piece of poo poo--his internal moral compass which aligns nearer to the liberal standards of the federation rarely allows him to be, and he gets hosed repeatedly by Ferengi authorities for it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think they were planning to reveal who Future Guy was in the 5th season. It was supposed to be Archer or something?

Edit: Apparently Brannon Braga has said that the plan was for him to be a time-displaced Archer who was attempting to fix the past

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think they also said that at one point they floated the idea of him being a Romulan who was trying to gently caress with early Starfleet for ~reasons~.

I don’t think it’s a particularly bad idea per se to leave parts of your show unplanned to allow for organic possibilities as it goes on, but uh maybe have at least a few rough ideas in mind just in case.

I'm not saying Future Guy is S4 Michael Burnham, but I'm not not saying it either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

I'm not saying Future Guy is S4 Michael Burnham, but I'm not not saying it either.

Future Guy is Tilly, and she's loving with Archer through time because she's bored.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

Future Guy is Tilly, and she's loving with Archer through time because she's bored.

That feels like more of a Mariner thing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah but lots of people can't make this distinction

See: Walter White fans

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if someone tries to argue that liking a character in a show necessarily has anything to do with thinking the char is a good person then the person making the argument is a completely loving lost cause. just an absolute waste of space w/r/t any literature or media analysis

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powered Descent posted:

That feels like more of a Mariner thing.

While I want it to be Burnham, a random B or C plot on Lower Decks where some character has some device where they think it's a game and they are pretending to be from the future and are telling some yellow guys what to do in the past would be just as hilarious.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Verviticus posted:

if someone tries to argue that liking a character in a show necessarily has anything to do with thinking the char is a good person then the person making the argument is a completely loving lost cause. just an absolute waste of space w/r/t any literature or media analysis
I think there is a point where it shades from appreciation into fandom, and that point is relatively nebulous, although we know it when we see it, especially when it starts making statements along the lines of "Gul Dukat did nothing wrong, and I am not joking."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah those people tell on themselves so obviously that its not really worth considering in a way that isnt case by case

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheeee posted:

as to him doing bad poo poo otherwise, yes and it's all precisely what his culture sees as virtuous and correct behavior. one of Quark's long running issues is that while he wants and tries to be a good Ferengi--meaning absolute piece of poo poo--his internal moral compass which aligns nearer to the liberal standards of the federation rarely allows him to be, and he gets hosed repeatedly by Ferengi authorities for it

Yeah, this. It's easy to be a good person when you live in a fully automated luxury communist utopia. Quark is a good character and a good person because following his internal moral compass means he has to sacrifice his cultural heritage, his place in Ferengi society, and also what he tells himself about what he wants. Quark often does bad things before he comes around to reluctantly doing the right thing, but the point is that it's significantly harder for him to be a good person.

e: I mean, Sisko commits crimes an order of magnitude worse than anything Quark ever contemplates

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Last DS9 episode I watched, Worf decided to get involved with a little light terrorism against Risa and there didn't seem to be any great consequences.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Unkempt posted:

Last DS9 episode I watched, Worf decided to get involved with a little light terrorism against Risa and there didn't seem to be any great consequences.

Worf literally decided to rain on everyone's parade.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 18, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What happens on Risa stays on Risa

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to pretend that Worf doesn't get in trouble because it wasn't real. It was just Worf Fantasy Day at MGM Risa.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Every Starfleet officer gets at least one pass for a major messup, no questions asked.

It's the Archer-Phlox paradigm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Garak Did Nothing Wrong

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just finished DS9. I didn't binge it at all. I watched 1 a week for the last 3 and a half years. That last credit roll really hits hard thinking about how much time has passed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

2018-2021 has been extremely cursed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, this. It's easy to be a good person when you live in a fully automated luxury communist utopia. Quark is a good character and a good person because following his internal moral compass means he has to sacrifice his cultural heritage, his place in Ferengi society, and also what he tells himself about what he wants. Quark often does bad things before he comes around to reluctantly doing the right thing, but the point is that it's significantly harder for him to be a good person.

e: I mean, Sisko commits crimes an order of magnitude worse than anything Quark ever contemplates

quark comes pretty drat close to selling a mutagenic virus to a clearly unhinged psychopathic monarch with the explicit stated desire to do a 28 million dead war crime and only really doesnt do it because dax and sisko intimidate him in different ways

quark basically has access to the utopia and chooses to live outside it by doing small and large crimes. he also tries to stay behind and literally just loving take over earth in the 20th century as its supreme merchant overlord, knowing that it would destroy the federation and wildly gently caress up the universe!!

the difference here is that sisko is presented with such authority that nobody questions his warcrimes and then is 'vindicated' when everything turns out alright. you can imagine the damage done if garak failed to kill vreenak, for instance. quark on the other hand is constantly talked out of doing bad things by whichever main cast character at the time nags him enough because hes always looking to do bad things for money but just lacks the conviction to say no

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 18, 2021

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Sash! posted:

I like to pretend that Worf doesn't get in trouble because it wasn't real. It was just Worf Fantasy Day at MGM Risa.

With holodecks, why would you even want to travel to Risa? Even if you wanted to meet with someone, you could do that via holoconference. Hell, get the tech advanced enough and you could gently caress each other too.

Maybe Worf was actually mad at the conspicuous consumption happening within the communist utopia (he absolutely was not doing this).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
risa: welcome to the sex planet, would you like to get laid sir?

worf: terrorism is cool

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Organic Lube User posted:

With holodecks, why would you even want to travel to Risa? Even if you wanted to meet with someone, you could do that via holoconference. Hell, get the tech advanced enough and you could gently caress each other too.

Maybe Worf was actually mad at the conspicuous consumption happening within the communist utopia (he absolutely was not doing this).

Because it isn't real. They sort of ignore it after a while, but there's enough talk about the Holodeck not being a perfect recreation.

Like how Picard got all philosophical when he touched the Phoenix. He could go into a Holodeck and look and touch the Phoenix in there, but that's just a forcefield. It isn't the Phoenix.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sash! posted:

Because it isn't real. They sort of ignore it after a while, but there's enough talk about the Holodeck not being a perfect recreation.

Like how Picard got all philosophical when he touched the Phoenix. He could go into a Holodeck and look and touch the Phoenix in there, but that's just a forcefield. It isn't the Phoenix.

he's dumb, picard is no more real, due to transporter use

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thotsky posted:

he's dumb, picard is no more real, due to transporter use

Speaking of opinions that mark people as lost causes

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Forget holodecks, does Bajor not have a nice beach they could visit? Is Risa really that much nicer that it's worth all cramming into a runabout for days to get there?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

they don't go to risa for those beaches

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Angry Salami posted:

Forget holodecks, does Bajor not have a nice beach they could visit? Is Risa really that much nicer that it's worth all cramming into a runabout for days to get there?

Risa has dick statues

Bajor has Bajorans

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

where the heck did Rom get 5000 bars of latinum to buy Quark's bar?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nodosaur posted:

where the heck did Rom get 5000 bars of latinum to buy Quark's bar?

That's Dabo girl money, my friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

HD DAD posted:

risa: welcome to the sex planet, would you like to get laid sir?

worf: terrorism is cool

lol I just watched that one and this is accurate