Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
STOP THE SELL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Detroit's finest will arrest TK as he shows up to sign the papers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dango Bango posted:

Volatility.

Obviously the P&F fund isn't going to be dialed in to backstage. But getting burned by a carny business is schadenfreude worthy.

WWE is a company with a strong dividend and huge profits that are locked in. They haven't gotten burned, they have gotten a great return on their investment and will probably get a settlement too.

WWE also doesn't even seem that volatile. They had a pretty stable corporate environment for many years.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 17, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

Could the Detroit lawsuit actually stop the sell? Because if they're planning on selling before summer the sale will be done before the lawsuit works its way though the courts and they'll probably get a nice payday from the sale too. Seems the lawsuit would go away when the sale goes through.

No they’re probably just settlement chasing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Could the Detroit lawsuit actually stop the sell? Because if they're planning on selling before summer the sale will be done before the lawsuit works its way though the courts and they'll probably get a nice payday from the sale too. Seems the lawsuit would go away when the sale goes through.

These aren't separate things. The lawsuits are filed by shareholders who believe Vince isn't going to uphold his legal duty to behave in the best interests of all shareholders. Any sale would have to be approved by the SEC, which is the office tasked with enforcing those laws. If lawsuits end up having a legal basis to move forward (e.g. if Vince tries to accept a lower offer from the Saudis because it would allow him to stay in charge), then the sale likely would not be approved. I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

The lawsuit, in and of itself, cannot stop a sale, but it can pretty easily dissuade potential suitors from bothering with it. That said, I think the suit won't really go how the cops want it to go, given share prices are the highest they've been since pre-pandemic.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The lawsuit, in and of itself, cannot stop a sale, but it can pretty easily dissuade potential suitors from bothering with it. That said, I think the suit won't really go how the cops want it to go, given share prices are the highest they've been since pre-pandemic.

The suit has nothing at all to do with the stock price at present.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

your friend wicka posted:

The suit has nothing at all to do with the stock price at present.

Eh, the lawsuit says he’s in breach of his fiduciary duties but if the stock price stays up following the jump on his return it seems like he can argue very easily that actually he’s done exactly what’s best for business because look at that, he made the stock price go up which is exactly what his fiduciary duty is.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1615394845463568384?s=20

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The joke and the reality is that WWE keeps failing upward, so I don't know why you wouldn't think it's a stable investment even if the show loving sucks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Eh, the lawsuit says he’s in breach of his fiduciary duties but if the stock price stays up following the jump on his return it seems like he can argue very easily that actually he’s done exactly what’s best for business because look at that, he made the stock price go up which is exactly what his fiduciary duty is.

The legal system doesn't operate based on gotchas. His fiduciary duty is to operate in the best interests of the shareholders always, not at some arbitrary point in time. The stock price is up only in anticipation of a sale that would value the company much higher than where the stock currently is. If he doesn't go through with the sale then the stock price will almost certainly fall, thus putting him in breach of his fiduciary duties. And the same would be true if he accepts anything other than the highest offer.

wicka fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 17, 2023

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Not even the first time a cop pension fund has sued WWE

https://www.pionline.com/courts/oklahoma-firefighters-tags-wwe-lawsuit-over-fiduciary-breaches

quote:

January 06, 2020 03:25 PM
Oklahoma Firefighters tags WWE with lawsuit over fiduciary breaches
ROB KOZLOWSKI

Getty Images
Oklahoma Firefighters has filed a lawsuit against World Wrestling Entertainment over the relaunch of its professional football league. The pension fund has owned stock in WWE since 2018.
Oklahoma Firefighters' Pension & Retirement System, Oklahoma City, has filed a lawsuit against World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., alleging the organization may have breached its fiduciary duties as part of the relaunch of its XFL professional football league.

The lawsuit, filed Dec. 26 in Delaware Chancery Court, says the $2.8 billion pension fund has a "credible basis" to believe that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon and other senior officers of the organization may have breached those duties by "usurping WWE's corporate opportunities and diverting resources from WWE to ... the XFL."

https://www.pionline.com/courts/warren-police-fire-pension-fund-sues-wwe-over-saudi-deal

quote:

March 09, 2020 02:54 PM
Warren Police & Fire pension fund sues WWE over Saudi deal
BRIAN CROCE

Bloomberg
World Wrestling Entertainment's Crown Jewel event was held Arabia in October.
Warren City Police & Fire Retirement System, Michigan, is suing World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. claiming the company failed to disclose information about its troubled business dealings with the Saudi government.

The class-action lawsuit, filed March 7 in U.S. District Court in New York, alleges that company executives deceived the investing public regarding WWE's business and artificially inflated the WWE stock. Certain senior executives of WWE sold more than $282 million worth of their personally held shares at "fraud-inflated prices," the lawsuit said.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol at the idea of cop pension funds just buying stock in poo poo they like, like that king of the hill episode where they invest in the stock market by watching bill at the grocery store.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

post hole digger posted:

lol at the idea of cop pension funds just buying stock in poo poo they like, like that king of the hill episode where they invest in the stock market by watching bill at the grocery store.

Buncha Big Boss Man marks :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Will this be the end of Alfred's fast nationals?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

post hole digger posted:

I'm reasonably sure that is not how any of this works? The Oklahoma Firefighters' Pension & Retirement System has a net worth of around three billion dollars and according to its reports has that spread around to a lot of different stocks/investment instruments. It looks like the vast majority of the "stock" they they hold, like $500M worth, is in Index Funds/investment funds, which is how most people's investment accounts work. These investment funds own the majority of WWE stock

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
WWF News/Views: Can't believe there are Good Cops

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Capitalism is a deeply stupid system

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I'm sure Tony is furiously dialing his phone as we speak to get another WWE cast off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I'm sure Tony is furiously dialing his phone as we speak to get another WWE cast off.

He was excellent at his job, reporters all thought he was their buddy. Losing him will actually hurt one of the company's strengths.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah the replies to that SRS tweet are nothing but wrestling journalists saying how much they'll miss him and how great he was to work with

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

1glitch0 posted:

That would unironically be a good move, even talent are commenting on losing him

https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/1615396315495817216?t=f2K_LshCgJJcIpLMHrw5-w&s=19

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That would unironically be a good move, even talent are commenting on losing him

https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/1615396315495817216?t=f2K_LshCgJJcIpLMHrw5-w&s=19

Additional info:
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1615439826869706771

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vince is purging way funnier people than I expected. Going after the people HHH just brought back would have been funny but getting rid of long time Stephanie people is much better.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Vince is purging way funnier people than I expected. Going after the people HHH just brought back would have been funny but getting rid of long time Stephanie people is much better.

Vince always keeping us on our toes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I definitely lends some credence to the speculation that Stephanie had a falling out with Vince after seeing the investigation report

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 17, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Stalinist purges, only Vince is Stalin and Beria rolled into one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What if I told you there is even funnier news:

https://twitter.com/GrowingupinSCN/status/1614135434958852097

https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/1615448356586676240

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jokes on them Hulkster is going to work his way to the top of the organisation inside a year

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good luck to the Hulkster on going clear

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Miscavige will jobbing to the hulkster at this year's wrestlemania, brother

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 17, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

History Comes Inside! posted:

Jokes on them Hulkster is going to work his way to the top of the organisation inside a year

yeah condolences to scientology for the politicking they're about to experience

or maybe he won't brother

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hulkster better call in to Bubba The Love Sponge to set the record straight

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I lost my frog

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1615452358447620106?s=20&t=qrfXkS2acxuLxSuO6Y4E3Q

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't know what would be funnier, Hogan getting worked by Scientology or Hogan working Scientology

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Finally, Progress is free

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

has there ever been a pro wrestler who was a scientologist

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jim Smallman is sobbing into his beans and toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Finally, Progress is free

Very funny that they destroyed their brand for this