Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I have a Pixel 5. This download notification thing is new in Android 12. I hate it and if you swipe it away it comes back. How do I get rid of it forever?

It ain't android 12, my pixel 2 xl on 11 has that too and it stinks. Chrome 96

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

I hate my phone, what's the good android to get? I prefer on the larger side and under $800

Pixel 6, Pixel 5a, maybe one of the newer Samsungs. Are you opposed to buying used?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Tough to beat the value or quality of a new pixel 6, especially if you're in the u.s. and they're down to $500 on sale

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Cool, sounds like the pixel 6 is the way to go. I'm not going to buy used this time around. I usually buy ebay refurbs or what I suspect are factory seconds, and I'm tired of putting up with the quirks. Thanks!

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I've got a pixel 3 xl, and since updating to Android 12 I've been getting phantom notifications. That is to say, I get my normal notification sound, the screen turns on, but then nothing. Has anyone heard of or encountered this? Can't find anything on google, hard to find a good search term.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
is there an internet browser that will let me open tabs without grouping them?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

loopsheloop posted:

What browser are you currently using? There's usually a setting to stop using groups.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Naylenas posted:

I've got a pixel 3 xl, and since updating to Android 12 I've been getting phantom notifications. That is to say, I get my normal notification sound, the screen turns on, but then nothing. Has anyone heard of or encountered this? Can't find anything on google, hard to find a good search term.

Try looking in notification history after it happens

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Got a new (used) Pixel 4a on Android 12 and it doesn't seem like I am getting system wide spell checking. It looks like the relevant options are checked, but it doesn't highlight when I misspell a wrod.

Also, how do I get rid of the "Get to Know Your Pixel" banner in the settings? I've already tapped on it and swiped through all the pages hoping it would mark it as read or something.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

loopsheloop posted:

Vivaldi is great

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bull3964 posted:

We know every little about the S22 so it's really hard to say one way or another.

There are a ton of wildcards. We don't know what the next qualcomm chipset will bring yet. We don't even know if Samsung will use Qualcomm across the board now that they are integrating RDNA2 into Exynos. We don't know the price-points yet.

One thing that does seem certain is that the S22 Ultra will have onboard pen storage and be more like a Galaxy Note. So, if SPen support is important to you, it seems like a no-brainer to wait for that so you can have a stowed pen to carry everywhere rather than an add on pen that you have to manage as an accessory.

Thank you very much for this response. I would actually wait, if at all possible, to have that pen be stored internally. I was willing to forego it because it's that useful for me, but yeah you know.

It's been so long since I've had a note that I frankly forget how it compares to something like maybe the iPad with the pen. However that seems like a YouTube video that there are probably a few hundred of, so I'll probably just see what is there for that question.

Thank you again for the prompt and excellently thought out response

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Worf posted:

Thank you very much for this response. I would actually wait, if at all possible, to have that pen be stored internally. I was willing to forego it because it's that useful for me, but yeah you know.

It's been so long since I've had a note that I frankly forget how it compares to something like maybe the iPad with the pen. However that seems like a YouTube video that there are probably a few hundred of, so I'll probably just see what is there for that question.

Thank you again for the prompt and excellently thought out response

I don't recall if you had specific needs or use-cases in mind, but I figured I'd mention that I know Motorola makes phones with a built-in stylus. Going to be a relatively cheap, midrange phone with the normal downside of questionable number of Android updates that Motorola is unfortunately known for right now.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What browser are you currently using? There's usually a setting to stop using groups.

Its chrome, and I was disabling them through the flags menu but that stopped working about a month ago and it's driving me crazy

Will check out Vivaldi; if anyone knows how to stop it in chrome now that would be cool!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Leave do not disturb on. It blocks popup notifications.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Pixel 4A. This is what I was looking at.

Spigen Liquid Crystal Designed for Google Pixel 4a Case (2020) [NOT Compatible with Pixel 4a 5G] - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083N54J5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y18EBAPG7W1QB3FE58TA

I just want something really thin and have a little bit of plastic stickiness on the edges of the phone. I dropped my last 4A and had to buy a replacement and don't wanna go through that expensive mistake again. I'm normally a no case guy. :| Sorry if my terms are wrong.

I ended up getting Spigen Thin Fit that I really like. It's better to grip than the bare phone while being super thin. I also like that there's a big cutout around the buttons on the side instead of covering them, with the added bonus of not having a lip to get in the way of swiping navigation with my right thumb.

Also got a Tough Armor case for when I do stuff in the shop. Much thicker, interferes with swiping, not as gripy, and I don't like the feel of the covered buttons (though it's not spongy). This is gojng to be a very occasional use case. Had one for my Pixel 2 and liked it then, too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Far from confirmed but

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/1462397565798948865?t=3O8V_UfVcveEbLu67S24aQ&s=19

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Try looking in notification history after it happens

No indicators there either. I do use an alternate launcher (Nova), but a search didn't produce any hits. Just happened three times in a row. I thought maybe email that is auto sorting, but I didn't see evidence of that either.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Naylenas posted:

No indicators there either. I do use an alternate launcher (Nova), but a search didn't produce any hits. Just happened three times in a row. I thought maybe email that is auto sorting, but I didn't see evidence of that either.

I think you have to explicitly turn on "use notification history" for the notification log to be useful. At least I have that switch on Android 12.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

Oh yeah that's been on the whole time, forgot to mention that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Pixel 6 chat: How (in)consistent is the double tap back of the phone to bring down the notification shade for anyone? Sucks for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Pixel 6 chat: How (in)consistent is the double tap back of the phone to bring down the notification shade for anyone? Sucks for me.

try tapping on the G logo on the back, in my experience it was a big enough difference to seem intentional

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

the what now?

Is this something you have to enable? I just spent like 30 seconds tapping the back of my 6 pro to zero response

EDIT: oh, that's kinda cool, I'll prolly use this for GPay

Epiphyte fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 23, 2021

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Doing a triple tap works much more consistently for me

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Got a new (used) Pixel 4a on Android 12 and it doesn't seem like I am getting system wide spell checking. It looks like the relevant options are checked, but it doesn't highlight when I misspell a wrod.

Also, how do I get rid of the "Get to Know Your Pixel" banner in the settings? I've already tapped on it and swiped through all the pages hoping it would mark it as read or something.

Any advice for these two things?

Also, animated gifs don't seem to play system wide until I tap on them.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's such a well made piece of hardware I feel it'd be a shame to shelve it when it's still perfectly serviceable. A worn out battery definitely makes devices seem worse than they really are; all of the stability problems I was having could be traced to power issues since it worked fine when plugged in, but I couldn't even use the camera or watch videos on battery power since there just wasn't enough available voltage. I've had it since launch, but it really started giving up the ghost in the last year and a half when I began using my laptop fast charger after forgetting my old trusty 5v@2A charger at my mom's place. I started tracking it to see just how bad things had become and this is what it was at right before I shipped it out.

Since I got it back I've been using it for everything to run it through its paces and it's as good as the day I got it and it no longer gets warm. The screen adhesive seems to have taken well this time and while they state it should have the factory level of water resistance, I'm probably not going to run it under the sink like I used to whenever it got covered in baby drool and snot. I like it so much more than the S8 I've been using for the past couple weeks, especially after finally replacing my beat up Spigen Thin Fit with an even thinner case. Big phones just aren't my thing, as I keep finding when I try to give them a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv2fVEo50e8

Here's a recent video showing the process I followed to flash it, which was very straightforward and it's nice to see what's happening on both the computer and screen if you're anxious like I can be. The official instructions are a bit clumsy and has some outdated stuff like linking to a TWRP recovery when Lineage provides you with a perfectly good one you can use from their page. He also goes over the steps to install Open GApps and Magisk if you want root and would like to try minimizing the amount of Google apps that are built in. You can always install the ones you want piecemeal afterwards.

The only thing that wasn't straightforward was the process of getting it to pass SafetyNet afterwards, but it was quick and easy once I figured out what needed doing in Magisk. I don't even use Google Pay much but I always thought one of the downsides of unlocking and rooting was that it locked you out of using stuff like payment apps which is why I didn't bother with custom ROMs. I wanted to see how bad it really is and it turns out it's way easy, but there's a lot of bad documentation about it out there. It's just a couple of keystrokes to change the device's SafetyNet fingerprint to that of a locked Pixel 2 running the official build of Android 11 and it passes with flying colours. I've been using it for groceries and I swear it's even faster than before, but that could be the gossamer case. I can post the step by step instructions here if that's okay, the Rooted Android thread seems hella dead.

Another thing I believed that was probably misguided was that you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the Pixel Visual Core unless you were on a stock OS. While going through installing all my apps the Pixel Visual Core program was showing up as already installed on my device, and with the Google Camera app everything seems to be the same. The night shot quality seems to have improved immensely in newer generation Pixels but it still blows me away how good it is compared to how things used to be before the feature was rolled out.

Man, the Pixel 2 is great.

I was all ready to do this but, after much trying, it turns out that refurbished Pixel 2s cannot have their bootloader unlocked. I had to RMA mine years ago while it was still under warranty and never bothered to check if I could unlock it once I got the new one. So, take this as a PSA for the thread: if you get a refurbished Pixel and unlocking the bootloader matters to you, make sure you check that capability once you get it! Not sure if this is still how it works with Pixel 6s but something to be aware of. I guess my Pixel 2 is basically garbage now :sigh:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Uthor posted:

Any advice for these two things?

Also, animated gifs don't seem to play system wide until I tap on them.
I think that's a low power/power save option somewhere, I don't remember off hand though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shofixti posted:

I was all ready to do this but, after much trying, it turns out that refurbished Pixel 2s cannot have their bootloader unlocked. I had to RMA mine years ago while it was still under warranty and never bothered to check if I could unlock it once I got the new one. So, take this as a PSA for the thread: if you get a refurbished Pixel and unlocking the bootloader matters to you, make sure you check that capability once you get it! Not sure if this is still how it works with Pixel 6s but something to be aware of. I guess my Pixel 2 is basically garbage now :sigh:

Are you sure? I thought as long as it wasn't a Verizon variant it could be unlocked.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

cage-free egghead posted:

Are you sure? I thought as long as it wasn't a Verizon variant it could be unlocked.

Looking through the thread I linked, the original poster claims that after a lot of escalation with Google support they were told that the refurbishment process is intentionally locking the bootloader of Pixel 2s and that is the way they designed it to operate. Other people in that thread are posting with the same issue - refurbished Pixel 2s having locked bootloaders. I unlocked my old Nexus 5 and Galaxy Nexus so I have a sense of what I'm doing and I just can't get this one to unlock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It sucks, but it kinda makes sense. These phones are being sold to 3rd parties to sell off in non-OEM boxes without factory seals. Locking the bootloader during the refurb process means that some unscrupulous reseller can't backdoor the software before selling to the used market.

It sucks, but I do understand it to a certain extent.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shofixti posted:

Jesus Christ, that sucks so bad. I specifically bought it brand new and direct from Google to have the option to tinker without all the headaches that carrier phones introduce. I would be so angry to discover that after getting a warranty replacement.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ehh I'm all for more choice and all but there's a reason the rooted android thread is on page 2 of the thread list and has a single post this year

At this point I'd have thought pixel 2's were useless anyway just due to the battery

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are some nice things you can do on a rooted phone like modifying the HOSTS file to block in-app ads
It also just makes me vaguely mad in general that I bought this gizmo from the manufacturer and I still don't "own" it without having to crack the security myself.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

minusX posted:

I think that's a low power/power save option somewhere, I don't remember off hand though.

Turned off adaptive battery and they work in Chrome, now. Still not Discord. Better!

Also, the Pixel Tips banner went away.

Still no spell check. :(

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Easily one of my favorite posts

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Let me prefix by saying I'm located in Europe.

I'd gone hog wild for the Pixel 5a but US and Japan only. The Pixel 6 is uglier than the duckling in the fairy tale. This does matter; I can take "meh" but the Pixel 6 is an abomination as far as I'm concerned.

I currently own an OP 7T which as far as updates go has been a dismal experience. The earpiece is just flat out bad, and the phone can't keep the screen locked while I'm holding it in a call, resulting in me getting muted and other "fun" shenanigans. I loathe the bloat apps which comes with every manufacturer but at least OP doesn't ship that many and they're generally non-intrusive, so that's a plus.

I've kinda boiled down my choices to getting an A52s (although the whole Bixby shenanigans is bothering, but updates support equals or is flat out better than even Pixels) or just joining the iPhone-crew. Am I missing anything here? Is there a phone that's not-Pixel and still not completely poo poo? I mostly use my phone for browsing etc, no gaming.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wait for a Pixel 6A?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait for a Pixel 6A?
Leaks show a similar design to the standard 6, so that's unfortunately a hard pass unless something changes between now and then.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Marinmo posted:

Leaks show a similar design to the standard 6, so that's unfortunately a hard pass unless something changes between now and then.

Oh I hadn’t noticed that, oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone seen the OneUI 4/Android 12 update yet? Looks like it's S21 devices only with staged rollout to everything else over the next like 6 months.

I've had it for a bit on my Z Flip3, the 1st beta was horrible with a lot of annoying bugs and battery drain but the 2nd beta has been good. Performance increase over 11, style tweaks (some questionable) and snappier animations. My geekbench scores signifigantly increased, I updated to beta 2 really early and benched right away and my phone beat over 90% of note 20 ultra's (with android 11)