Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Tears In A Vial posted:

Can you explore the room where Troi and Crusher do stretches? Asking for a friend.

Mmm yeah, honey pie, work that business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

Enterprise3d guy has been pretty silent for a while, I think he was getting poo poo from CBS but I've read he's still working on his project. Stage9 guy said on Reddit (I believe) that he reached out to E3D guy but got no response.

I'm impressed with just how well the Stage9 stuff runs on my laptop (it is pretty beefy with a 970m) and how good it looks. That Unreal4 engine is pretty good stuff.

Enterprise3D guy was silent for a year or so but posted some new pics a few months ago, so he's still at it, I guess.

What something like that really needs is a way to automate corridor generation so the whole ship layout can be done in a bang and then rooms can be 'unlocked' as they're created.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I never knew how much I wanted that Enterprise D sim til I saw it. :swoon:

Now if I had a VR rig or it could run on my phone with a Gear, I'd have achieved nerd apotheosis.

It's the kind of thing I imagined when I was a kid. Just think, in 10 years we'll have fully mapped Enterprise Ds (and other ships) with totally accessible rooms, that we can visit in VR.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

A Star Trek game where you are an Ensign straight from the academy and have to find tasks to do or pretend to do so around the ship you don't get sent down on an away mission where you will inevitably die. Your goal is to become vital enough to the running of the ship or the bridge's officers themselves that you don't get drummed out of Starfleet.

Redshirt the Roguelike would be tons of fun.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Enterprise3D guy was silent for a year or so but posted some new pics a few months ago, so he's still at it, I guess.

What something like that really needs is a way to automate corridor generation so the whole ship layout can be done in a bang and then rooms can be 'unlocked' as they're created.

Yeah, considering most of the Enterprise-D blueprints consist of crew quarters, crew lounges, and random mechanical rooms it could be auto-generated. We all really want to explore the main shuttle bay, dolphin tanks, the bottom of the warp core, computer cores, mall, etc.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

As somebody who spent way, way, way too much time messing around in the Starbase 11 mod for Elite Force as a kid, I'm anxiously awaiting the day when this thing releases in a complete state.

Fittingly, I will likely be an old man by then

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Now if I had a VR rig or it could run on my phone with a Gear, I'd have achieved nerd apotheosis.

Technically possible to hook up your gear as a ghetto VR rig to your computer. VRidge.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Mmm yeah, honey pie, work that business.

Why are they wearing those leotards backwards?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Astroman posted:

It's the kind of thing I imagined when I was a kid. Just think, in 10 years we'll have fully mapped Enterprise Ds (and other ships) with totally accessible rooms, that we can visit in VR.

The guy did post a video on his YouTube with an HTC Vive. It's pretty neat.
https://youtu.be/U7hPA7q-ZUk

Edit: in a few years time, we could all be stumbling around our living rooms with our VR headsets exploring the Enterprise. Yay!

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 23, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Clickhole has posted "An Oral History of Star Trek." Pretty informative.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/oral-history-star-trek-5174

A season-long arc of Kirk looking for his keys would have been legit amazing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Astroman posted:

I never knew how much I wanted that Enterprise D sim til I saw it. :swoon:

I'd give anything for a fully-mapped virtual D

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'd give anything for a fully-mapped virtual D

So would the holodeck be functional?

Oh poo poo would their be a NPC Data who was also fully functional

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dicky mouse posted:

Oh poo poo would their be a NPC Data who was also fully functional

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spiner doesn't get enough credit for his comedic chops imo

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
All this chat about walking around the D reminded me of Pixeltrek, which is unfortunately still down

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Knormal posted:

Edit: Found it, Star Trek Busywork Simulator design inspiration

What episode is this again? The one with the hot robot?

e: or is it lights of Zentar?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, it's The Lights of Zetar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

why

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

to boldly go where gnome man has gone before

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

do we not all own at least 10?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How is this the largest version of this on the entire internet???

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

How is this the largest version of this on the entire internet???

Turns out the gnome is just 2mm tall and this is an incredibly high resolution picture

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree that she could very well be the lead

She's actually playing Han Bo, captain of the Shenzhou -- so not the lead, and certainly not the CO or XO of Discovery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Variety reports that they're still searching for their lead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Variety reports that they're still searching for their lead.

But enough about the state of modern journalism, how is the new Star Trek going?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when being on a Trek show was such a great gig that you would quit a paying gig on the chance that you might get a shot at being cast?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Rhyno posted:

Remember when being on a Trek show was such a great gig that you would quit a paying gig on the chance that you might get a shot at being cast?

Jus think of all the money they could save if they made a show about ship staffed with data's

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree that she could very well be the lead

I'd hazard a guess that she's going to be the captain that gets killed so the Lt. Cmdr lead character takes over.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I'd hazard a guess that she's going to be the captain that gets killed so the Lt. Cmdr lead character takes over.

Timby posted:

She's actually playing Han Bo, captain of the Shenzhou -- so not the lead, and certainly not the CO or XO of Discovery.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/11/23/breaking-michelle-yeoh-reportedly-cast-as-captain-han-bo-of-the-u-s-s-shenzhou/

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Has being on Trek really been that great a gig? I've always assumed that it's kinda a blessing and a curse in that if you're not exceedingly good at avoiding being typecast as whatever you did on the show, you're screwed.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MisterBibs posted:

Has being on Trek really been that great a gig? I've always assumed that it's kinda a blessing and a curse in that if you're not exceedingly good at avoiding being typecast as whatever you did on the show, you're screwed.

Jimmy Doohan got decades of rent-free lodging in the rafters of the Desilu studios!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh huh, ok. I assumed it was a reference I wasn't getting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So the Asian captain will get a Chinese-name ship because we wouldn't want to confuse the audience.

Better retcon it so Captain Sulu gets command of the USS Kamikaze or something instead of the Excelsior.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

7 years of constant, well paid work followed by a lifetime of less well paid convention work is very much the exception for an actor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Attention Klingon vessel, this is captain Bob Smith of the USS White People Are On This Ship, please state your intentions.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Attention Klingon vessel, this is captain Bob Smith of the USS White People Are On This Ship, please state your intentions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FuturePastNow posted:

So the Asian captain will get a Chinese-name ship because we wouldn't want to confuse the audience.

Better retcon it so Captain Sulu gets command of the USS Kamikaze or something instead of the Excelsior.

It's just marketing poo poo to China because producer dogma says everyone needs to market poo poo to China now. Just even clumsier than usual.

Not sure what sort of show this is going to be if multiple starships are going to be hanging around regularly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder whose old uniform that was, because you know they didn't make a fresh one for Frasier.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

socialsecurity posted:

Redshirt the Roguelike would be tons of fun.

Oh man I want this to be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

Not sure what sort of show this is going to be if multiple starships are going to be hanging around regularly.

It's a season-long arc, presumably the other ship is tied up in it.