Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Pretty sure the RAT is more likely to give a false negative than a false positive, at least that's what the stats on the instructions in the box I got seemed to indicate. Eg. A negative RAT is no guarantee you don't have it while a positive RAT is a strong indication you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Apparently they are more reliable if you take multiple tests with consistant results..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I think some of Australia's collapse in covid response was due to obsession with fairness and inconsistencies (although ostensibly reasonable) always being used at every turn to justify relaxing restrictions rather than increasing them both from an individual behaviour justification and policy making. The response to silly situations like this was always 'I guess there's no point wearing masks in woolies then' instead of 'maybe we should stop gathering in pubs' leading to exponential open er up momentum. It's still going on with the stuff around border travel testing.

Our country is run by useless boomers who've never had to do anything hard in their entire lives.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's moments like these I think back to the arguments about people not being able to travel to see their families. And people are dead. Their families will never get to see them again ever. No matter what government policy is in place. They can't even video chat them or call them or even text. We had multiple news segments talking about a woman missing her Dad's funeral. Meanwhile people have to watch their families die. If they're lucky, because visitation is changing in light of the pandemic. Like, if I'm supposed to be moved by people not being able to visit the family back in England or wherever then how am I supposed to process all the loving death? If I'm supposed to change my mind because of people's mental health during lockdown, what am I supposed to think about people's mental state as the people around them die and their society let it happen? Everything that happened to people in lockdown is happening far worse to people as a result of stopping it.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Basically! I for one am excited to find out how the hell my immunocompromised household is supposed to navigate...loving anything from this point on, especially with Centrelink hounding our asses to 'get out there and get a job (but you still get kicked off if you only do online job applications despite every loving company on earth binning in person, phone, and email applications) you filthy loving poors,' and by 'excited' i mean 'goddamn terrified'.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

meteor9 posted:

Basically! I for one am excited to find out how the hell my immunocompromised household is supposed to navigate...loving anything from this point on, especially with Centrelink hounding our asses to 'get out there and get a job (but you still get kicked off if you only do online job applications despite every loving company on earth binning in person, phone, and email applications) you filthy loving poors,' and by 'excited' i mean 'goddamn terrified'.

Hoorah for Centerlink being awful, always!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If the US is any indication most job ads are fake and they don't intend to hire anyone for them at all, they're just padding numbers to get govt money

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
And holy cow do you get added to a lot of spam call lists either through applying or through the job agencies selling your data!

Remember two years ago when they actually paid (most) people to stay home and it worked (and they immediately started trying to claw it back almost the day they announced it)? And then the second wave where they avoided every possible permutation of that and everything got worse? Ah, good times, memories, memories.

I'm sure this run of "we will do absolutely nothing" will go swimmingly. No one can apply for disability if they're all dead, right?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Breetai posted:

Please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I was looking up the efficacy of rapid tests and read that they return a positive result 70% of the time when the testee has COVID. This suggests a 30% failure rate to detect a positive case.

There are varying grades of RAT tests, the ones that are officially registered for use here are grouped into either 80%, 90% or 95% accuracy brackets.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/mmcgowan/status/1476642111575388169?s=21

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Of course they didn't. They didn't need to.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
21,151. Guess we are doing this :getin:.
Herd immunity for some, disability and death for others.

Remember the 25,000 cases a day prediction for NSW by the end of January? We're about a month in front.

go_banana fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2021

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

go_banana posted:

that's too many

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
5,919 in Victoria. It's hard not to feel like you've been abandoned.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Sierra Madre posted:

5,919 in Victoria. It's hard not to feel like you've been abandoned.

Yeah feel like it's just going to get worse here

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So my girlfriend and I have been feeling sick since Monday, same symptoms, got tested on Wednesday as it was the earliest available, and then yesterday night at 11:30 got the news that she tested positive and I negative. So now I've got to wait for another test, but the next available booking is the loving 4th.

gently caress's sake.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

go_banana posted:

Remember the 25,000 cases a day prediction for NSW by the end of January? We're about a month in front.

West state best state

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

go_banana posted:

it was 250,000, not 25k by end of Jan.

we're still gonna make it though.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Laserface posted:

it was 250,000, not 25k by end of Jan.

we're still gonna make it though.

Yeah nah 25,000.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If the NSW per capita results were replicated nationally, it would correspond to almost 67k cases today. We're absolutely going to smash through the 100k daily cases, even if testing can't pick it all up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, with the population of Australia, there's pretty much no way for a state to get 250'000 a day due to, well some states that's every one infected in like less then a week.

And at that point pretty much no one would be testing as... well why bother? 21,000 is crazy enough number for a state, in a country with this size pop.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

entity119 posted:

that's too many

gently caress off we're full

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

I was of the understanding that a RAT is more likely to give a false positive than a false negative, though maybe things change with new strains?
No, they're extremely specific (low false positives) but not all that sensitive (lots of false negatives).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Doherty said 200,000 cases a day, described as unlikely last week by CMO Paul Kelly https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...5b-bd41fbf4c84a

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Goffer posted:

Doherty said 200,000 cases a day, described as unlikely last week by CMO Paul Kelly https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...5b-bd41fbf4c84a

Like again, if they're talking about confirmed cases, I just don't see it. Testing is already breaking down at the numbers that were at.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In the new Palmer United Party Youtube ads, you have a charismaless Craig Kelly reading out a message about how Christmas is a time for family and unity and freedom blah blah blah.

It is so unequivocally terrible. Who is it for? Who likes this? Who sees it and says "yes, I will vote for that fat wooden man?"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
25000 is probably the level they know hospitals are absolutely going to collapse at, so I'm sure they put out a statement to say modelling showed that's where we're going to peak.

Doubling every two days baby.

We're going to see mass death because hospitals won't be able to admit anyone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BrigadierSensible posted:

In the new Palmer United Party Youtube ads, you have a charismaless Craig Kelly reading out a message about how Christmas is a time for family and unity and freedom blah blah blah.

It is so unequivocally terrible. Who is it for? Who likes this? Who sees it and says "yes, I will vote for that fat wooden man?"

People whose families have long abandoned them.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

starkebn posted:

25000 is probably the level they know hospitals are absolutely going to collapse at, so I'm sure they put out a statement to say modelling showed that's where we're going to peak.

Doubling every two days baby.

We're going to see mass death because hospitals won't be able to admit anyone.

Hospitalisations / icu / ventilators got up to 1268 / 242 / 123 last outbreak.

We're only up to 832 / 69 / 19 so far, but there's a lag of 5-10 days from detection to hospitalization (depending on who's counting), and probably more of a lag between hospital bed to icu to ventilator.

Might be less intense an illness as well, plus a lot of cases are probably vaxed and not suffering as much as they might otherwise, but a few days of 20k cases will push those hospital limits pretty hard.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
NSW premier just said that the state is in a "strong position" with covid.

Sort of feel like he's just decided to back the winning team.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-31/covid-leaves-sydney-st-vincent-hospital-vulnerable/100732848

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
morrison announced not long ago that they've already changed the rules from yesterday & now you can leave isolation on day 6 if you're not symptomatic (no negative rapid test result needed unlike what was announced yesterday)

why even bother then, it's not like symptoms are correlated to contagiousness or anything.

& of course workplaces don't count as close contact or anything anymore, only if you live with someone. gotta keep businesses open so everyone can get it! lunacy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lih posted:

morrison announced not long ago that they've already changed the rules from yesterday & now you can leave isolation on day 6 if you're not symptomatic (no negative rapid test result needed unlike what was announced yesterday)

why even bother then, it's not like symptoms are correlated to contagiousness or anything.

& of course workplaces don't count as close contact or anything anymore, only if you live with someone. gotta keep businesses open so everyone can get it! lunacy

I mean morrisons literally never cared. He's always going to go for the looses rules he thinks he can publicly get away. The science or consequences of it is not a consideration.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

lih posted:

Yeah just saw this. Why even bother quarantining? gently caress me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Goffer posted:

We're only up to ...69 ...so far,

nice

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When do Scott and Dom plan on getting covid?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

go_banana posted:

Not gonna lie, I truly though that prediction was some stupid fearmongering.

gently caress me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Budzilla posted:

gently caress off we're full

AusPol Variant 4: gently caress Off We're Full of Covid.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Was gonna reply some variation of "lol why?" to your doubt but it turns out 25k per day for NSW is the equivalent of roughly 1 million per day in the USA. Which yeah, that number is actually kinda crazy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phigs posted:

... but it turns out 25k per day for NSW is the equivalent of roughly 1 million per day in the USA. Which yeah, that number is actually kinda crazy.

Math is truly the enemy of us all. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It is highly funny that despite having a nearly 2 year lead time on this coming they've had to redefine close contacts as someone you've spent 4 hours in the same household as to prevent testing from being overwhelmed as literally everyone gets covid.

Spectacular, just like our climate change policy, don't actually do anything, just change the definitions.