Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

This is your 2 minute warning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG3aPeYq4os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1580149486021922817

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

This is your 2 minute warning....

Please don't do that when we're talking about Russia.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

Please don't do that when we're talking about Russia.

I would never tempt you with promises of such blessed relief

e: another tory with the same defence as JRM https://twitter.com/RosieisaHolt/status/1579857857712820224

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 12, 2022

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
Another idea I took away from the interview was his explanation for why housing affordability will get worse in the medium to long term. Making houses more affordable requires policies that make houses worth less, or policies that redistribute money away from the people who already own homes. Both of these outcomes are considered politically radioactive by both the Tories and Labour, and so affordability can only get worse over time, unless there is some kind of massive realignment of British politics.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Mr Speaker, I'm genuinely unclear." <CHEERS FROM CROWD>

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
behold the pride of britain: our magnificent parliamentary system

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Someone post that video of the almost empty northern pub where every person in the shot is basically an entirely unique Vic and Bob character.

Edit this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P5YCZF1d_Q

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
These scottish independence ads just make themselves don't they

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also please don't think about the economy, think about... raw sewage? uh it's not our fault! it's them! think of them!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm genuinely surprised nobody crossed the floor. Or maybe not... I guess there aren't any humans left in the Tory party.

e: This tweet is doing the rounds again on social media

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/1545439378100682752

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1579964951204364288

classic bit of piss boiling with a fun final few seconds

Love it.

London Cab drivers are mostly like this in my experience, they're absolute animals and pricks.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

keep punching joe posted:

Someone post that video of the almost empty northern pub where every person in the shot is basically an entirely unique Vic and Bob character.

Edit this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P5YCZF1d_Q

Fastest punter bingo ever recorded

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

love how they're trying to paint capping energy bills (by squeezing the haemorrhoid into another part of the anus) as "low bills" when they're already astronomically loving high

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol gj Suella https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1580083473943265280

you loving muppet

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving hell... anti Mermaids anti-trans conspiracy bollocks being talked openly to a hushed silence without being challenged. Truss acknowledges that the conspiracy bollocks deserves to be investigated and looked at.

:(

e: this person: https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1580160099032571905

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 12, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just tuned into the current minister saying: "And I was born in, er"....<checks notes>..."1976"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tories continuing to lose their marbles

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Payndz posted:

Don't suppose there's a transcript of this anywhere? I don't have an hour and a half free to listen to a podcast. :smith:
In short:

Experts
- All the bankers are just the kids of rich people basically. He had a leg up against them because he was actually in contact with people from his background, where it was obvious things were getting worse, not better.
- A lot of economic experts aren't. Gary confronted a professor about having been wrong in his predictions for a full decade, but the dude was so divorced from reality he just denied it outright because he had never actually gotten any blowback from making wrong predictions. The system doesn't punish failure in that class of people.
- "The experts" just pretend anything that goes against their predictions come from outside the system and doesn't count. The real economy to these people are their models, not people living their lives.

Economic theory
- Houses are not counted in inflation, this fucks up our understanding of economic realities
- He favors wealth taxes over income taxes. The whole "the rich will move" thing can be ignored, because their assets or their income exist in/happens across the world, not in the Cayman Islands.
- Everyone needs a place to live, if you don't own it you're a -1 property, not 0. (Gary realizes this advice isn't useful to most people)
- The rich are going after the only assets left, things like the NHS and homes.
- The banker bonus tax didn't really do poo poo, it just moved banker incomes to salaries instead
- Crypto is gambling, it's sucking the life out of talented people. All those crypto bros would ideally be allies, since they're young guys with the energy to actually change poo poo. He's shorting cryptos.
- The definition of capitalism he grew up with and a lot of people believe in is that if you work hard on your career, you should be able to get the basic package of a comfortable secure economic life. That idea of capitalism is over, because even the talented and hardworking can't save up money faster than deposits on houses go up.

Messaging
- MMT advocates gently caress up the messaging and convince people you don't need to tax the rich because it's OK to run a deficit
- Giving out free money that largely ends up in the hands of the rich makes everyone else poorer, even if they see their number go up - people need to be educated about this
- We need to convince the old people with property that their kids won't be able to afford homes, or even kids, if things don't change
- All those "I saved up for a house by not buying Starbucks coffee" are there to convince the above old people that there isn't a real crisis, and "the kids" will get their economic poo poo together, no need to worry

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lungboy posted:

This guy is a massive lib idiot, and really not worth paying attention to.

He's very good on tax avoidance/evasion issues.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lungboy posted:

This guy is a massive lib idiot, and really not worth paying attention to.

Yea, he's moaning about QE being withdrawn is for the benefit of the rich, but QE and ultra-low interest rates has been great for the rich? They have assets they could leverage into huge loans with a pittance for interest and buy up even more assets, pushing prices higher and away from workers. High interest rates and less QE sucks in the short term, but is less favourable to the kind of rentier capitalism that has driven so much misery the last decade.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

JEROMLY CRUMBLINS!!!!

https://twitter.com/JoeMurphyLondon/status/1580113348821409793

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

She's positioning herself for the next election for Tory leader.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jrmblrmby Crblrn!

Wowels are capitalist.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Home Bargains trip report:

Went to get a lunchtime sarnie - absolutely not a single one to be seen. Asked the woman stacking the fridges, they've had no sandwiches in for a few days because the place where they are made and ingredients stored in chiller containers to move to the shops has almost run out of refrigeration gases so it's being preserved for essential food only.
Sarnies do not count as essential food, but as snacks, so they can't get any.
I imagine this will gradually spread throughout the country's supermarkets.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1579964951204364288

classic bit of piss boiling with a fun final few seconds
The last few seconds of catharsis don't fully compensate for the PTSD of having been similarly threatened in the street by a puce-faced lunatic for no reason other than merely existing in his vicinity.

That said, the one where a similarly enraged gammon has a pop at someone he clearly thinks is an easy target (over wearing a mask, IIRC) only to be knocked the gently caress down by a single punch to the face did make me smile.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Guess people will have butter their own bread at home now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fuctifino posted:

I'm genuinely surprised nobody crossed the floor. Or maybe not... I guess there aren't any humans left in the Tory party.

e: This tweet is doing the rounds again on social media

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/1545439378100682752

DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE EVENT

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Guess people will have butter their own bread at home now

Yeah but it might start affecting those products too.
If you're single anyway, you have to freeze the bread so it doesn't go mouldy before you can use it then it's all wet when you thaw it out. And buying a bit of ham and some eggs (& cost of boiling them) & mayo etc comes to more cost than just buying a HB sarnie. (NB does not apply to Waitrose or M&S sarnies).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jezza seems to be cranking up the usual cunts today

https://twitter.com/fromarsetoelbow/status/1580144242680209409

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

I don't see how that makes the system non-capitalist. The change from feudalism to capitalism was about coming to see power as rightly vested in owners, as opposed to people with special blood or divine blessings or whatever. The fact that ownership tends to concentrate over time (like other sorts of power) doesn't stop it being capitalist.

I don’t think he was saying it’s not capitalist in terms of economic(/Marxist) theory, but that it’s no longer capitalist in the common understanding of the term: that is, it’s no longer meritocratic.

Capitalism’s brand is powerful. Many people still associate it with the idea that hard work and grit pay off, upward social mobility is real and prevalent, “the American dream”, etc.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Didn’t catch PMQs. Did Keith wipe the floor with her with his devastating charisma?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Halisnacks posted:

I don’t think he was saying it’s not capitalist in terms of economic(/Marxist) theory, but that it’s no longer capitalist in the common understanding of the term: that is, it’s no longer meritocratic.

Capitalism’s brand is powerful. Many people still associate it with the idea that hard work and grit pay off, upward social mobility is real and prevalent, “the American dream”, etc.
It's not really a question. He repeats that he's talking a specific definition he grew up with, and explains what that definition means.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Truss was complete poo poo and Starmer was marginally less poo poo.

She did commit to not cutting public spending though, which seems a pretty huge statement, so I do genuinely wonder how it all shakes out on 31 October.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

Truss was complete poo poo and Starmer was marginally less poo poo.

She did commit to not cutting public spending though, which seems a pretty huge statement, so I do genuinely wonder how it all shakes out on 31 October.

Didn't say anything about real terms increases though, it's an easy out. Same thing happened with the NHS funding pledge years ago

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Given all the attention on whether benefits will rise with inflation, that would seem really disingenuous (but of course, not unlikely).

Even if we are talking only in nominal terms, tax cuts, flat public spending, and higher interest costs mean there is no way debt as a percentage of GDP can decrease over the medium term without some incredible growth estimates, which presumably the OBR will call out.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Oh dear me posted:

I think that's just swallowing capitalist rhetoric. We don't have serfdom because we're not allowed the land, let alone tied to it. We have standard capitalist 'work for us or starve' bondage.

When he makes the point he does specify that he's using the mass popular definition of capitalism as a "you can work hard and be rewarded and have a good life" - not because he thinks that's the technically/academically correct definition, but because one of his main drivers is educating people on the wealth transfer happening, so just using a short hand to get people to understand the impact of the shift.

I don't think in the context he's working in and the audience he's aiming for it is especially useful to start with "actually this is still capitalism, you should read some theory" as opposed to "the rich are going to buy your mum's house and are making you poorer".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

Given all the attention on whether benefits will rise with inflation, that would seem really disingenuous (but of course, not unlikely).

Even if we are talking only in nominal terms, tax cuts, flat public spending, and higher interest costs mean there is no way debt as a percentage of GDP can decrease over the medium term without some incredible growth estimates, which presumably the OBR will call out.

From 11 years ago (lol):

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-cameron-set-to-break-promise-on-nhs-cuts

quote:

The analysis

Chancellor George Osborne has promised the NHS a real-terms increase of 0.1 per cent a year. It’s an incy-wincy rise, but it does apparently allow him to deliver on his pledge to increase NHS funding.

Yet some argue that this “real-terms rise” doesn’t really stand up.

The government works out future inflation in spending settlements with the help of the so-called GDP deflator.

That means they measure costs in the broader economy, rather than specific costs that the NHS might face – for equipment for example.

The rise in funding planned by the government is “so small” that it’ll be wiped out if – as is currently the case – inflation goes up faster than expected.

Mr Osborne’s current promise is based on forecasts which haven’t been revised since December.

So we asked John Appleby, chief economist at The King’s Fund, to update the figures.

He told FactCheck that on the basis of current GDP deflator figures from 2010/11 to 2014/15, the NHS 2010 spend over the same period is “very slightly less than a real increase overall – something like a 0.25 per cent real cut”.

From 2011/12 to 2014/15 the NHS budget goes like this: -0.47 per cent, +0.16 per cent, +0.07 per cent and -0.01 per cent.

In addition, some NHS spending is earmarked for adult social care – helping the elderly and vulnerable with things like washing and dressing. So that money isn’t strictly for the NHS, as it’s spent by local authorities.

“Leaving these out, the real change in NHS planned spend overall is -1.1 per cent,” Mr Appleby said.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah but it might start affecting those products too.
If you're single anyway, you have to freeze the bread so it doesn't go mouldy before you can use it then it's all wet when you thaw it out. And buying a bit of ham and some eggs (& cost of boiling them) & mayo etc comes to more cost than just buying a HB sarnie. (NB does not apply to Waitrose or M&S sarnies).

I just stick it in the toaster frozen and give it a minute or so until it's very lightly toasted. (This also allows you to spread butter without ripping the bread to pieces.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also probably make a point that while we might not believe in magic blood any more, the way inheritance works, we have basically recreated it in practice, because you can be born with money and thus power.