Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Javes posted:

You'd think losing 900+ seats since 2008 would maybe force a change in strategy for the DNC but nope FULL STEAM AHEAD ON CENTRISM.

Double Down, Triple Down, what are we on now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

evilweasel posted:

yeah, see, you are the precise sort of idiot i'm talking about

I was being a little hyperbolic, but seeing the Schumer tweet was disheartening.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Erotically I posted:

This. Abandoning the Pro-choice movement is a terrible loving idea.
The Democrats didn't lose in November because of abortion. They're not learning anything from this whole thing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hannity getting taken down would be the icing on the cake.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I still think it would be hilarious if Trump scoots away from this totally scot free but all of the political insiders that tried to manipulate him for their own evil ends got hosed and put in jail.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

i pretty vehemently disagree with funding pro-life candidates in all but those cases where there's no other real option, but for all of those people going gently caress THE DNC FOR DOING THIS drat CENTRISTS bernie has been doing it too, most notably in that mayoral election in omaha where bernie campaigned vigorously in favor of a pro-life mayor (who lost)
I appears he wasn't pro life and the DNC hosed him over on misunderstanding of positions he'd changed from as a staunch catholic, while even bringing people who had been pro life onto supporting pro choice.

Radish posted:

He's wrong there too. This is something I don't think should be compromised on.
I agree

Javes posted:

You'd think losing 900+ seats since 2008 would maybe force a change in strategy for the DNC but nope FULL STEAM AHEAD ON CENTRISM.
Pretend for just a minute you run the democratic party: Your powerbase is new york city or San francisco: you already have free tuition and higher quality of life than the rest of the country, and all the things the base wants at the cost of your donors isn't going to effect where your donors live and all you need to do is maintain the bare minimum of seats at the national level. Medicaid in Kentucky doesn't mean poo poo to Schumer or Pelosi.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
e: ^^ or this for the more cynical

It's like they think Dem voters are as slavishly loyal as Republicans and it doesn't actually matter what their policies are.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 4, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I'm in favor of challenging Republicans in every district with Democrats must always agree with me.

It's amazing to me that people still think party polarization is a good thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

democrats absolutely do need to accept people who share 75% of our values in states where that's a home run compared to the alternative and i would much rather have the house back in Democratic hands with the blue dog caucus still a thing than a republican house

but i vehemently disagree with singling out abortion rights as the area to compromise: its one thing to say "look, we're going to support the best people who will work with us and while they may not agree with us on everything, we're going to support the people we can work with" it's quite another to single out abortion rights as the thing to compromise on

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Jesus take it to the dems are a waste thread already

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Radish posted:

From what I understand they are going to stop having "pro-life" as a deal breaker for funding local candidates. The problem is that pro-life is just code for punishing women and has little to do with actually protecting babies or lowing the rate of abortions as has been discussed here many times so allowing the party to even put their toe into that is opening the door for even more concessions on other social policies. It's a very disturbing idea that they are looking at Trump's voters and deciding that they need some of those people and are willing to compromise with them on issues that affect women's health and doesn't leave a good feeling they won't abandon other groups.

For many of the districts they need to win in order to regain the house (and statehouses), prolife is a cultural marker of Christianity, which remains in itself the cultural center of many of these communities.

From a messaging and moral standpoint, it's abysmal they're showing openness to this. As a purely practical matter, 20 pro life members of a 230 member caucus aren't changing any bills provided competent leadership (like Pelosi) is in charge. The strongest will take the hits of voting for the babykilling bills in exchange for heavier support during reelection.

Sneakster posted:

Yes, it is

It's almost like Bernie is the most popular politician in the country

I don't know how to tell you this, but: it turns out they're a waste.

This is the danger of Trump, he's compromising the entire political spectrum, the Democrats aren't going unmolested by the nightmare of this administration and the spectacle it provides is distracting a lot of people from a horrifying rightward lurch in the DNC since donor cash is all that matters fundamentally.

Sprinting to the right by making the hardcharging ex labor secretary chairman. No Democrat is as beloved by the Chamber of Commerce as Perez! :jerkbag:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

botany posted:

they won the loving vote by 3 million votes

They lost the popular vote in states where they need to win seats in congress next year.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

I still think it would be hilarious if Trump scoots away from this totally scot free but all of the political insiders that tried to manipulate him for their own evil ends got hosed and put in jail.

That's a relatively likely outcome. He's going to be very difficult to convict just because his lawyers will likely be able to get hung juries and he's only got so much longer to live given his health issues.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

They lost the popular vote in midwestern states, and lost seats in both the senate and the house.

they won seats in the house and the senate. six and two, respectively (net).

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

fishing with the fam posted:

During college someone mentioned putting a dash of cinnamon in their coffee grounds before brewing. I did that a couple times and enjoyed it. One day though, I accidentally grabbed the cumin instead. That day was a bad day. Suffice to say, you are a monster.

I have been trying to do this but the cinnamon just melts into tar and clogs the coffee press.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Xombie posted:

They lost the popular vote in midwestern states, and lost seats in both the senate and the house.

Oh poo poo.

Quick! I lost 80lbs religiously counting calories until I built better eating habits. I've maintained for three years now and am closing in on my weight lifting goal of benching my old, fat weight.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Sneakster posted:

Yes, it is

It's almost like Bernie is the most popular politician in the country

He's very popular among people who don't vote in midterm elections, and won't vote for Republicans when they do.

evilweasel posted:

they won seats in the house and the senate. six and two, respectively (net).

Joke's on you, I remembered that as soon as I typed it and ninja'd.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Xombie posted:

They lost the popular vote in states where they need to win seats in congress next year.

Clinton being 3x closer than Feingold and Portman outrunning Trump throws a bit of cold water on the Populism Prescription for what ails the Dems in the midwest...

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

He's very popular among people who don't vote in midterm elections, and won't vote for Republicans when they do.
People born after the dustbowl is a pretty big group.

Dejawesp posted:

I have been trying to do this but the cinnamon just melts into tar and clogs the coffee press.
....you put it in the cup. Like splenda.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
... I'm seeing a new Youtube series, 'Does it Splend?'

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Koalas March posted:

Hannity getting taken down would be the icing on the cake.

Beaten up > taken down

Be afraid of his mma training tho lmao

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Have you guys talked about the grand jury that's been convened for the Trump-Russia thing?

quote:

The special counsel investigating claims of Russian meddling in the US election has begun using a grand jury in Washington, reports say.

The move suggests Robert Mueller may be taking a more aggressive approach to gathering data on possible collusion with Donald Trump's campaign team.

Grand juries are used to issue subpoenas to compel people to testify.

The president has again poured scorn on the inquiry, telling a rally in West Virginia it was a "total fabrication".

What is a grand jury?

In the US, grand juries are composed of members of the public who hear evidence in secret.

Prosecutors use them to gather evidence, as they can compel people to testify or hand over documentation.

They consider whether evidence is strong enough to issue indictments for a criminal trial.

The juries do not decide the innocence or guilt of a potential defendant.
How is it being used in this case?

Prosecutors have for months been using a grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia, which had issued some subpoenas in the case, reports say.

Mr Mueller has now opted for one of the several grand juries that sit in Washington, and reportedly began using it several weeks ago.

Analysts say it shows Mr Mueller is taking full control of the investigation.

He has already replaced most of the prosecutors originally on the case, in favour of his own legal minds.

The switch from Virginia to Washington is also more practical. Mr Mueller's office will be closer and he knows the Washington federal courthouse better.
What will it look into?

As grand juries are secret, there will be no disclosure. Mr Mueller himself has given no details.

It is clear Mr Mueller is investigating a meeting in June last year, in which Mr Trump's son, Donald Jr, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, met a Russian lawyer. Mr Trump Jr has admitted he was promised damaging material on Mr Trump's rival in the presidential race, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, though he says none was forthcoming.

According to Reuters news agency, the special counsel is examining whether anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign encouraged the Russians to start releasing material about the Clinton campaign.

Mr Mueller is reportedly seeking to determine whether Mr Trump knew of his son's meeting before it happened, or if he was briefed on it afterwards.

US media have also quoted sources close to the investigation as saying that the special counsel is looking into whether President Trump obstructed justice when he fired FBI chief James Comey, who was leading the previous investigation into Russian interference.

Mr Mueller was then appointed in May by the deputy attorney general of the Department of Justice to continue the inquiry.

Mr Mueller is also reportedly investigating the financial dealings of former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort as well as those of Michael Flynn, who Mr Trump sacked as national security adviser because he failed to disclose his Russian contacts.
What has the president and his team said?

Mr Trump was his defiant self at a rally in Huntington, West Virginia, on Thursday evening.

Mr Trump said the allegations were a "hoax" that were "demeaning to our country".

"The Russia story is a total fabrication," he said.

The crowd went wild as he continued: "Most people know there were no Russians in our campaign. There never were. We didn't win because of Russia, we won because of you."

Ty Cobb, a lawyer appointed last month as White House special counsel, said he had been unaware a grand jury was being used.

But he added: "Grand jury matters are typically secret. The White House favours anything that accelerates the conclusion of [Mr Mueller's] work fairly. The White House is committed to fully co-operating with Mr Mueller."

Another Trump lawyer, John Dowd, told Associated Press: "With respect to the news of the federal grand jury, I have no reason to believe that the president is under investigation."

Seems like pretty good news. I'm eager to find out and read the book about this a year or two from now when it's all revealed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

Clinton being 3x closer than Feingold and Portman outrunning Trump throws a bit of cold water on the Populism Prescription for what ails the Dems in the midwest...

yeah, i have seen very little real reckoning with feingold's loss and what it means. he ran against an idiot, who was widely considered a dead man walking, and who got no support from the national party as a result. and he still lost - by four points

i don't know why he lost, what it means, or have any idea at all on how to fix it, but it really blows a very big hole in arguments that clinton's loss in wisconsin was unique to her. same with "its all the dnc's fault": feingold is pretty much the sort of senator the bernie wing likes.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Ok, fine, I'm forced to concede that there has been one good thing about a Trump presidency.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Sneakster posted:

People born after the dustbowl is a pretty big group.

They they can be the biggest group of pretend voters all they want. Until they actually have an impact on something, the DNC is better off not alienating actual midterm voters by pandering to them.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

evilweasel posted:

yeah, i have seen very little real reckoning with feingold's loss and what it means. he ran against an idiot, who was widely considered a dead man walking, and who got no support from the national party as a result. and he still lost - by four points

i don't know why he lost, what it means, or have any idea at all on how to fix it, but it really blows a very big hole in arguments that clinton's loss in wisconsin was unique to her. same with "its all the dnc's fault": feingold is pretty much the sort of senator the bernie wing likes.

I mean, he did lose during the 2010 tea party wave election.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

stillvisions posted:

Coke Zero was supposed to get men to drink low-calorie beverages, because men have historically avoided soft drinks with the word "diet" in them. Hence the black label.

Shut the gently caress up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mustached Demon posted:

Oh poo poo.

Quick! I lost 80lbs religiously counting calories until I built better eating habits. I've maintained for three years now and am closing in on my weight lifting goal of benching my old, fat weight.

This is a trick! Your old, fat soul is stuck in your weights and when you lift it it will try to re-enter your body. Fill your mouth with salt first.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i think it's a mistake to think that the midterm electorate is fixed and is going to be the same as the 2010/2014 electorate

i think that the all-republican government repeatedly faceplanting and trying to make their health bill as unpopular as humanly possible without specifically decreeing executions will depress republican turnout and the need to do something, anything, to limit trump will motivate democrats and independents to get out and vote

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Have you guys talked about the grand jury that's been convened for the Trump-Russia thing?

Seems like pretty good news. I'm eager to find out and read the book about this a year or two from now when it's all revealed.

It seems like a defense against getting fired.

Grand Juries are special beasts. They have immense power and very little oversight.

If Mueller gets fired the grand jury stays empanelled.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

DrSunshine posted:

The thread that posts up-to-the-minute Trump tweets didn't discuss the big development in the Mueller investigation. Yup. You're the first one to post it.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

evilweasel posted:

i think it's a mistake to think that the midterm electorate is fixed and is going to be the same as the 2010/2014 electorate

i think that the all-republican government repeatedly faceplanting and trying to make their health bill as unpopular as humanly possible without specifically decreeing executions will depress republican turnout and the need to do something, anything, to limit trump will motivate democrats and independents to get out and vote

I don't doubt that. I just doubt that millenials will come out to vote, which is where most of the Bernie crowd lies. Berniebros have shown themselves to be ideological purists, and you can't actually get one vote from without turning off two Gen-X/Boomer swing voters. And even then it's a coin toss as to whether they'll show up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My concern is that yes, there is a chance that the GOP turnout will be lower next year, but they already have an inherent advantage in midterms. Dems badly need to get a strong message and drive people to the polls like in 2006 and I'm not sure they are willing to do it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

I mean, he did lose during the 2010 tea party wave election.

yeah, but you could excuse that as a bad national wave: where the real problem comes is him running 3-4 points behind clinton

and i do not think he's a bad candidate (he might be, again, not from wisconsin and perhaps he somehow pissed people off), and I just don't really have a good explanation for why he lost, especially one that fits the post-mortems of clinton's campaign, and if people have a theory on how to win back wisconsin it absolutely has to explain why feingold lost because he is a very, very different sort of candidate than clinton

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How can they not run on The President is under Criminal Investigation

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sneakster posted:

Their response to utter failure is a platform of tax credits to employers for hiring people and paraphrasing Trump:
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/892775305718497282
Currency manipulation and opening up to support anti-abortion candidates. They're competing for Trump's ratings in the TV sense since he "talks a good game".

https://twitter.com/geekaybe/status/892798631190814720

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

My concern is that yes, there is a chance that the GOP turnout will be lower next year, but they already have an inherent advantage in midterms. Dems badly need to get a strong message and drive people to the polls like in 2006 and I'm not sure they are willing to do it

Most of the special elections have seen 12-15 point swings over last November. The motivation seems to be there, it just has to make it another 15 months.

If Trump enacted his agenda more quietly, I think things would die down. But he's incapable of doing that.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Sneakster posted:

Pretend for just a minute you run the democratic party: Your powerbase is new york city or San francisco: you already have free tuition and higher quality of life than the rest of the country, and all the things the base wants at the cost of your donors isn't going to effect where your donors live and all you need to do is maintain the bare minimum of seats at the national level. Medicaid in Kentucky doesn't mean poo poo to Schumer or Pelosi.

Medicaid in Kentucky doesn't mean poo poo to voters in Kentucky. They repeatedly vote for people who will explicitly take their healthcare away and vote against people who won't.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

I don't doubt that. I just doubt that millenials will come out to vote, which is where most of the Bernie crowd lies. Berniebros have shown themselves to be ideological purists, and you can't actually get one vote from without turning off two Gen-X/Boomer swing voters. And even then it's a coin toss as to whether they'll show up.

i think that the internet amplifies idiots so you're seeing the worst brand of berniebro. there are plenty of people who like bernie but who aren't condiv-level idiot brokebrains. most of them voted for jill stein anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Jesus loving christ stop talking about food in a politics thread you lardasses

• Locked thread