Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Slightly higher budget version is the Kindle Paperwhite. I have the previous gen that is already waterproof. It's nicer to read and doesn't discharge your phone. IMO easily worth it especially on sale.

I know it's not "on the phone" at that point but it's good

E: or for that matter, just a waterproof phone. I dunked my Note9 in the tub a few times when watching YouTube and it's still fine

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I can vouch for my Kobo eReader, it's a few years old at this point but it's done great if you're looking for something outside the Amazon ecosystem.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Silver Falcon posted:

Ok here's a weird/random one. Is there some device that I can use to read ebooks on my phone, while in the bathtub, without getting my phone wet? I don't go in for physical books anymore, as I have nowhere to store them, so I started doing Kindle books instead. But I do most of my reading in the bathtub.

So, figured since it's Christmas and all, figured it'd be a good time to look into that.

You can just buy a waterproof phone case. But if you're serious about reading lots of ebooks I'd really recommend getting something with an e-ink display. Much easier on the eyes in my experience, especially if you like reading in bed before sleep

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Big ziploc bag will work, just make sure it’s sealed properly. That’s how I used to waterproof my kindle for reading in the hot tub. It is way more convenient if you get out as much air as possible, as a note.

You can get waterproof cases, but I hated using one as my day to day case and the ziploc was more convenient than changing cases back and forth.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I got this for kayaking, and it works great.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Before digital, how were the hearing impaired typically accommodated with media releases? Special order VHS' and specific film screenings with subtitles burnt in?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Arbite posted:

Before digital, how were the hearing impaired typically accommodated with media releases? Special order VHS' and specific film screenings with subtitles burnt in?

My experience in the 90s at least was that most VHSs had closed caption encoded in. You could hit a closed caption setting on most TVs and they would display text encoded in the signal, as white-on-black text on the bottom. Most over the air TV signals had it encoded in too, in fact, many TV signals even had a second audio track with spanish language too that you could filter to in most TVs.

I am not hearing impaired but i made use of CCs a lot because i absorbed dialogue much better when i could see it too, also when i was staying up late and watching stuff quietly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khizan posted:

Big ziploc bag will work, just make sure it’s sealed properly. That’s how I used to waterproof my kindle for reading in the hot tub. It is way more convenient if you get out as much air as possible, as a note.

You can get waterproof cases, but I hated using one as my day to day case and the ziploc was more convenient than changing cases back and forth.

Lifehack for getting the air of the the bag: zip up all but one corner of the bag, then lower it into the water, zip top remaining out of the water (duh). The water pressure will force the air out.

Do this with care, and it’s wise to do it in a bowl on the table so you’re less likely to fumble than if you were bending over the bathtub.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I work in musical theater, in a pretty major house (2,500+ seats) and we pre covid had "touch tours" backstage where the visually impaired could come backstage and see set pieces up close, and well, touch things. It was typically run by one of our wardrobe people, no idea why, and myself as the head carpenter. We also do audio description nights where there are two people who describe what is going on and people that have requested wireless head sets can hear them. We also do a closed captioning night, with small LED sign boards in one section of the house. And we also do nights with ASL interpreters who sign throughout the entire show and we seat people in their small section.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 25, 2021

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

My experience in the 90s at least was that most VHSs had closed caption encoded in. You could hit a closed caption setting on most TVs and they would display text encoded in the signal, as white-on-black text on the bottom. Most over the air TV signals had it encoded in too, in fact, many TV signals even had a second audio track with spanish language too that you could filter to in most TVs.

I am not hearing impaired but i made use of CCs a lot because i absorbed dialogue much better when i could see it too, also when i was staying up late and watching stuff quietly.

If you're interested, here's how that tech worked.
https://youtu.be/6SL6zs2bDks

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Lifehack for getting the air of the the bag: zip up all but one corner of the bag, then lower it into the water, zip top remaining out of the water (duh). The water pressure will force the air out.

Do this with care, and it’s wise to do it in a bowl on the table so you’re less likely to fumble than if you were bending over the bathtub.

Well, if you put the top opening into the water, all air will have gone out too!
(Just not much help with keeping the content dry)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

If you're interested, here's how that tech worked.
https://youtu.be/6SL6zs2bDks

I was, thank you very much!

Also past tense, but hopefully not for long, would cinemas, especially in larger markets, usually have special showings with closed captions?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arbite posted:

I was, thank you very much!

Also past tense, but hopefully not for long, would cinemas, especially in larger markets, usually have special showings with closed captions?

There are various ways of handling this.

One of them is to have a display on the wall of the theatre opposite the screen, display the text backwards. People who want captioning can borrow a plastic plate on an adjustable arm. The base of this gadget sits in the cupholder, and the arm is adjusted till the plate reflects the text.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sooooo. I've been cleaning out my stepdad's house with my mom, and we found a variety of sex toys. specifically, three different dildos and a "red rider" strap-on. they're all brand new and unopened, mom said he bought them for her to use and she told him HELL NO. he never threw them out, he just kinda left them in their boxes, and now we've found them.

they're totally new and unused, I'd feel bad for just trashing them since some of them are pretty expensive(one's 60 bucks on amazon). Is there a place to donate new, unused sex toys?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Craigslist “free”?

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

sooooo. I've been cleaning out my stepdad's house with my mom, and we found a variety of sex toys. specifically, three different dildos and a "red rider" strap-on. they're all brand new and unopened, mom said he bought them for her to use and she told him HELL NO. he never threw them out, he just kinda left them in their boxes, and now we've found them.

they're totally new and unused, I'd feel bad for just trashing them since some of them are pretty expensive(one's 60 bucks on amazon). Is there a place to donate new, unused sex toys?

Do any of them have a Bluetooth or USB interface, or something like that?

I'm thinking you can see if any of the Buttplug API devs want 'em, or anyone doing work with Buttplug API stuff.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mods plz rename me Buttplug API Developer ty

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Salvation Army.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Captain Invictus posted:

Music-Go-Round but for sex toys.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
See if your new stepdad wants them

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is the Mark Rober video featuring the glitter bomb fake? I keep telling people it's very unlikely his lawyers would allow him to leave out what is basically a booby trapped box. For example, what happens if someone's glitter trap goes off while they are driving and they get into an accident?

Also, why are some of their faces blurred but others aren't?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Is the Mark Rober video featuring the glitter bomb fake? I keep telling people it's very unlikely his lawyers would allow him to leave out what is basically a booby trapped box. For example, what happens if someone's glitter trap goes off while they are driving and they get into an accident?

Also, why are some of their faces blurred but others aren't?

The very first one was definitely fake and he got caught out with it and admitted it. We're unsure about others but starting off fake and using explosives like that really makes it sound like he went viral enough not to care and kept faking it.

The most likely explanation of the face blurring is due to trying where someone is falling inside / outside of reasonable expectations of privacy. Everything being faked and having paid people sign contracts means this is moot but if you wanted to have the air of authenticity you'd blur faces on private property where the expectation of privacy is likely to be but someone on a public street wouldn't need that same concern.

ianal or even from the usa but this is what I've seen that also seems to make the most sense so I'm just rolling with it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Inceltown posted:

The very first one was definitely fake and he got caught out with it and admitted it. We're unsure about others but starting off fake and using explosives like that really makes it sound like he went viral enough not to care and kept faking it.

The most likely explanation of the face blurring is due to trying where someone is falling inside / outside of reasonable expectations of privacy. Everything being faked and having paid people sign contracts means this is moot but if you wanted to have the air of authenticity you'd blur faces on private property where the expectation of privacy is likely to be but someone on a public street wouldn't need that same concern.

ianal or even from the usa but this is what I've seen that also seems to make the most sense so I'm just rolling with it.

Apparently only some of the reactions were fake. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/21/viral-glitter-bomb-video-featured-fake-thieves-creator-says/2389954002/

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also I'm pretty sure there are no explosives, I'm completely sure of that for the second and third iteration at least. A thing spins and releases glitter, but it's in no way explosive. If you opened it on a table or something you'd get it on your pants/shoes/floor/etc.

In one of the later ones (the third?) it's actually targeted at people scamming old people rather than random package thieves, actually pretty interesting and gets into how those scams work.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Is there a telescope thread on SA?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Technical clinic question:

My question is: Is the 40% survival rate based on him reaching the hospital on time, or on him driving himself to the ER without going into shock? I heard the general heart-attack-at-hospital survival rate was around 90% so I was unsure.

Probably not a small or stupid question there. Sorry about your dad - glad he made it though!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Whenever I buy tofu, if I don't use it fast enough it gets yellow and gross on the outside. This happens well inside of its use-by date, I assume because it's being exposed to air.

If I store it submerged in water, would that avoid this happening? That's how it's packaged...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Juggernaut posted:

Is there a telescope thread on SA?

Like this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Whenever I buy tofu, if I don't use it fast enough it gets yellow and gross on the outside. This happens well inside of its use-by date, I assume because it's being exposed to air.

If I store it submerged in water, would that avoid this happening? That's how it's packaged...

The internet says you can store it in water but you need to change the water daily.

How are you ending up with leftover uncooked tofu?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, yuck. Oh well.

The leftovers is because I don't use a whole packet in one go. I cut off a 1cm slab from the block, dice it, and put it in my soup

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a Mattress thread?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, yuck. Oh well.

The leftovers is because I don't use a whole packet in one go. I cut off a 1cm slab from the block, dice it, and put it in my soup

What I've always done is when I open the package, I put whatever I don't immediately use into a tupperware-ish container and cover it with water. Changing the water every time I use some of it, even if that's not quite daily, has always worked fine for me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Is there a Mattress thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

What I've always done is when I open the package, I put whatever I don't immediately use into a tupperware-ish container and cover it with water. Changing the water every time I use some of it, even if that's not quite daily, has always worked fine for me.

Cool, I might try that... Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

You could also cube it all and pan fry in a little oil until lightly golden brown, keeps longer that way. Just use what you need and keep the rest in the fridge for like a week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a thread for collecting, identifying, etc sports cards? I found 4 shoeboxes full of what seem to be really nice condition sports cards(mostly baseball, some football) from 1962-1964, possibly full sets, and half a shoebox full of these colorful metal coins of baseball people probably from the same era

saw a mickey mantle sitting on top of one of the piles in one of the boxes and decided to just leave it be for now, except for taking the rubber bands off some of the stacks of cards because that's never a good idea to have on any cards ever

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a thread for collecting, identifying, etc sports cards? I found 4 shoeboxes full of what seem to be really nice condition sports cards(mostly baseball, some football) from 1962-1964, possibly full sets, and half a shoebox full of these colorful metal coins of baseball people probably from the same era

saw a mickey mantle sitting on top of one of the piles in one of the boxes and decided to just leave it be for now, except for taking the rubber bands off some of the stacks of cards because that's never a good idea to have on any cards ever

I don't know that there's a thread here, but I'm assuming you're looking to see if there's any money with any of these. I'll give you the same advice I've given anyone else before: Check ebay. You mention a Mickey Mantle specifically, which is probably a good start. Double check the year of printing and the manufacturer (Fleer, Topps, etc.) and cross check that on ebay. You'll find a wide range. There's one that claims to be a loose (not in a protective Lucite sleeve) original MM rookie card, and they're asking $75 with 0 bids. There's another one that appears to be the same design card, but in better condition and in a case, and marked as a reprint, and that has over 20 bids and is currently sitting at over $300. The last oen I can see that sold was a "custom" recreation, where it appears the same image was printed, color corrected and scaled up to a more modern size card, and that sold for $4.

If it were me, I'd go through all the boxes and sort them by manufacturer and year and look for any names I recognized, and search for those specifically, see if anything stuck out. If nothing else you might be able to see if there's a complete collection there (all 200 Topps 1963 MLB cards or whatever) and see if the whole set is worth anything.

That way at least you know what you have.

But, if you were trying to offload it quickly you could try shopping them around to the local sports collectables shops and see what you would get. Probably less than what you would get putting them up on ebay and doing it all yourself, but you'd probably get your money faster.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

There's this dead thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982065

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For tofu, it's going to change the texture, but it can be frozen. It'll still turn a bit yellow, but in this case, it's still good. You can drain and press it, and freeze it as a block in an air tight container, or precut it and freeze it that way (it'll defrost quicker this way, as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Some dishes even specifically call for frozen then thawed tofu. For fried tofu like in a stir fry, the ice damage gives it a nice chewy texture. So we always freeze our tofu if we don't use it within a couple days. Just make sure to press it before cooking.