Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love the bags of spherical Lindt truffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hooah posted:

For US consumers, what are decent chocolate brands that are readily available? I know that if I really want some quality chocolate, I have to buy from a small-batch maker. But if I just want to pick up something from the grocery store, would folks say like Dove, Ghirardelli, Lindt, etc. are decent? Or do people poo poo on them as much as Hersheys?

Ghirardelli and Lindt are good. Tony’s Chocolonely is extraordinarily good quality for price. Theo and Chocolove and Endangered Species are all very good.

I don’t like Dove myself, but a lot of other people do. It doesn’t have butyric acid in it like Hershey’s (it’s a Mars product), but the milk chocolate does have artificial flavor of some kind.

Edit to add: this taste test of supermarket dark chocolates kind of lines up with my own rankings.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 22, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

There's no expectation of privacy in a public space. The videos from inside other people's homes would need the face blurred per my understanding. IANAL, grain of salt.

That is true of video, but with audio it depends on the state, I think - IANAL :wiggle:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Some of the tastiest chocolate I've had came from Dick Taylor, which I found at a local store that imports all manner of delicious nonsense so it may not be easily locally available where you are.

https://dicktaylorchocolate.com/

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I will cosign Tony's Chocolonely being good chocolate if you can find it, the only thing that sucks about it is that the big bars have an obnoxiously difficult-to-break-apart pattern on them

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Trader Joe’s has really good 500g chocolate bars, and Aldi’s house brand fancy chocolate is also very good in my opinion.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

Trader Joe’s has really good 500g chocolate bars, and Aldi’s house brand fancy chocolate is also very good in my opinion.

Came here to mention Aldi. Its gotta be a loss leader. Cheaper than all of the other candy but so good.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Every Aldi chocolate product I've had was great, and practically free. The peanut butter cups are shockingly good. Try to eat a Reese's after one of those and you'll gag.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Microsoft Excel question:

I'm trying to paste values from one workbook, into another workbook. The cells that contain data, S226 & S228, are separated by one row, which is hidden by a column-filter for specific criteria. The cells I am trying to paste into are also separated by a single row, hidden via the same method - cells O215 & O217. The problem is I cannot paste values into these cells without Excel pasting S228's data into the hidden cell in the second workbook, O216. I've tried every permutation of "Visible Cells Only", through the maginifying glass, ctrl+selecting the cells, as well as pasting special, etc. Is there any way to paste into only visible cells? When I to paste into visible cells, I get the error "This action won't work on multiple selections."

Is there any way to actually paste this data properly? Or is Excel just a dogshit loving worthless program?

Edit: Nope, Excel just pastes data into hidden cells period. gently caress this dumbfuck program! :argh:

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 22, 2021

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Not saying the excel thread wouldn't have a more general solution, but if it's only two columns can you do one and then the other?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

dirby posted:

Not saying the excel thread wouldn't have a more general solution, but if it's only two columns can you do one and then the other?

I actually tried searching for the Excel thread and couldn't find it, haha.

The cells in trying to copy are in the same column, different rows, sorry for that confusion. But my homie linked me to a Microsoft story page where they just flat out say pasting pastes into hidden rows, no way around it.

This program is literal garbage, ugh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

The cells in trying to copy are in the same column, different rows, sorry for that confusion. But my homie linked me to a Microsoft story page where they just flat out say pasting pastes into hidden rows, no way around it.

This program is literal garbage, ugh.

What are you actually trying to do, here? Is it, like, a one-time thing, or something you're trying to do repeatedly?

I'm trying to come up with a reason that you'd want to paste into a sheet that has hidden rows from a sheet that doesn't that wouldn't be better done with a formula, and can't think of anything.

And I'm definitely not a Microsoft fanboy or anything (a shitload of the stuff they do is stupid as gently caress), but Excel is possibly the single best piece of software that anyone has made, ever.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Is there any reason you can't just do multi-select by holding down ctrl, then copy-pasting, so that the hidden rows aren't selected? or is it a matter of there being too many hidden rows?

Edit: yeah you tried that, I can't read apparently. Can you just set O215 to "=Sheet1!S226" and O217 to "=Sheet1!S228", then copy and paste as values? Obvs doesn't make sense long term or if it's something you need to do on the reg, tho

Everett False fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 22, 2021

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Johnny Truant posted:

Doing a "Search the Forums" search for intitle:Excel takes you right to Small Excel Question Not Worth Its Own Thread [sic].

dirby fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 23, 2021

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the big deal about potatoes and lightbulbs? Is electricity generation specific to potatoes?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm guessing you mean the potato battery, often badly misframed as a "potato-powered" whatever. In truth the chemical potential that drives the electricity generation comes from the reaction between the two electrodes, usually zinc and copper. The potato mostly acts as an electrolyte. You could do the same thing by sticking the same electrodes into a jar of water with the proper salt in it. Much is made of the potato because it's neat that it already contains the right electrolytes, and because it holds the electrodes in place (they must not physically touch), so it's a great simple science project. But as a result of that everyone thinks that potatoes have some magic electricity inside.

e: another potato - light bulb connection is that a half potato is a great way to extract a broken light bulb, but i doubt that's what you mean

alnilam fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 23, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well potatoes are chock full of usable energy in the form of carbs
but you get that out by burning or digesting them, not attaching wires.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Baron Porkface posted:

Whats the big deal about potatoes and lightbulbs? Is electricity generation specific to potatoes?

This was already mostly answered but to add to the second question, it can also be done with lemons.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Schools use potatoes because they’re cheap and have a long shelf life.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Do we still have a Headphones thread? I scrolled through SHSC, Musician's Lounge, and NMD but couldn't find the one I was assuming was still here

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Squibsy posted:

Do we still have a Headphones thread? I scrolled through SHSC, Musician's Lounge, and NMD but couldn't find the one I was assuming was still here

It’s in inspect your gadgets https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ta. So many subforums!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

On my street in suburban Copenhagen, a car was recently parked without license plates. The police have been by and put on a notice that they will remove it soon. My question is: how did the car get there? Why would you park it and remove the plates? My best guess is that it's stolen, but even then, removing the plates just makes it more suspicious. What am I missing?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

BonHair posted:

On my street in suburban Copenhagen, a car was recently parked without license plates. The police have been by and put on a notice that they will remove it soon. My question is: how did the car get there? Why would you park it and remove the plates? My best guess is that it's stolen, but even then, removing the plates just makes it more suspicious. What am I missing?

Not an expert, but it might have been abandoned--sometimes cars are too difficult or expensive to fix or dispose of (the car may cost more to fix than it's worth, for example), or a car breaks down and the owner can't afford to have it towed, so they are abandoned instead. Removing the license plates might make it harder to find the owner, who wouldn't want to be found because abandoning a vehicle is usually illegal (although I don't know Danish law). But stolen is also a possibility, as is someone trying for an insurance payout by claiming it was stolen.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Another possibility, if it were in some US states at least, would be that the person let its registration and/or insurance lapse - perhaps because the car is broken and they need to work on fixing it or something - and you are (in some states) required by law to remove the license plates when this becomes the case.

Also some states in the US bizarrely let you go completely license-plate-less for a period of time after buying a vehicle, until a new plate can be mailed to you. If you are in a jurisdiction like that, it could be that the vehicle just changed hands and is awaiting a new plate.

Anyway I have no idea if either of those apply in Denmark, just offering some possibilities.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
other possibilities:

someone stole the plates
someone just bought that car without plates, hasn't registered for new plates yet.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My brother and his wife were driving along an interstate when their very old and bad car broke. They pushed it to the grass, removed the plates, and scratched out the vin. Took a taxi to a dealership to buy a new one.

That was like 15 years ago and I guess it worked because they never heard from anyone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

My brother and his wife were driving along an interstate when their very old and bad car broke. They pushed it to the grass, removed the plates, and scratched out the vin. Took a taxi to a dealership to buy a new one.

That was like 15 years ago and I guess it worked because they never heard from anyone.

I doubt they scratched out every location of the VIN, more likely no one cared and just junked it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Why is it hard for Sprint/T-Mobile to provide instructions for phone setup, and are other carriers any better?

For instance, a new phone came with instructions that claimed a SIM card was in the box (there wasn't one and I didn't need one), but neither the paper instructions nor the activation process for porting the number directed me to T-mobile's eSIM instructions which contained the code I actually needed.

In general, I get that some use a physical SIM card and some don't, but since I'm upgrading, they should know my situation.

My previous experience was worse, taking days and a trip to a physical store that didn't help to get the phone to take calls.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

other possibilities:

someone stole the plates
someone just bought that car without plates, hasn't registered for new plates yet.

My neighbor stole the plate off my parents' bronco to go sell heroin out of a stolen car.

yeah

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I remember an article talking about how apple wants people to refer to the iphone as just iphone without the article, ie "get iphone 13 on us".

It's hard to Google but guess anyone else remember that article and the logic of why they don't want to use the definite article?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe this one?
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/4/30/11541268/apple-grammar-is-weird

Definitely not new. Looks like they got really serious about it around the 4S, compare:

SAN FRANCISCO—June 7, 2010—Apple® today presented the new iPhone® 4 featuring FaceTime…

CUPERTINO, California—October 4, 2011—Apple® today announced iPhone® 4S, the most amazing iPhone yet, …

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just bought a house with my first LP gas oven (only ever used city gas and electric before). There's a 120 gallon tank next to the house. When it gets low, who should I call? Do they swap out the tank or fill it? I guess I own the tank since I didn't hear anything about leasing it during the house sale, but I'm not sure how any of this works.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just bought a house with my first LP gas oven (only ever used city gas and electric before). There's a 120 gallon tank next to the house. When it gets low, who should I call? Do they swap out the tank or fill it? I guess I own the tank since I didn't hear anything about leasing it during the house sale, but I'm not sure how any of this works.

The name of the business that supplied LP to the previous owner should be on the tank. If there isn’t a name, do a search for “propane gas delivery” plus your municipality and pick one. They will refill the tank.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 24, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

dirby posted:

Why is it hard for Sprint/T-Mobile to provide instructions for phone setup, and are other carriers any better?

For instance, a new phone came with instructions that claimed a SIM card was in the box (there wasn't one and I didn't need one), but neither the paper instructions nor the activation process for porting the number directed me to T-mobile's eSIM instructions which contained the code I actually needed.

In general, I get that some use a physical SIM card and some don't, but since I'm upgrading, they should know my situation.

My previous experience was worse, taking days and a trip to a physical store that didn't help to get the phone to take calls.

They only care about the parts of the customer experience before you hand your money over. After that, they don't give a poo poo. They = just about every telco I've ever dealt with across multiple countries.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Technical clinic question:

My father survived a widowmaker heart attack right after thanksgiving. Around 5am the chest pain symptoms he had been feeling since a week prior became critical and he drove himself to the ER. He didn't start having a heart attack until he was a few minutes away, and managed to get attention before he could pass out. Within 30 minutes he had arm splints and the artery blockage removed, saving his life. His doctors told him he had a 40% survival rate based on his conditions. This arterial blockage was the result of years of extreme work stress (executive bank bullshit) and heavy red meat dieting. He got out of the hospital within two days, his blood pressure cut in half and he could touch his toes for the first time in years.

My question is: Is the 40% survival rate based on him reaching the hospital on time, or on him driving himself to the ER without going into shock? I heard the general heart-attack-at-hospital survival rate was around 90% so I was unsure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

My parents have a car they don't have the cash to fix right now. To avoid paying the mandatory insurance, you have to temporarily return the plates. Might be illegal to even have such a car parked on public roads but YMMV.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

AlbieQuirky posted:

The name of the business that supplied LP to the previous owner should be on the tank. If there isn’t a name, do a search for “propane gas delivery” plus your municipality and pick one. They will refill the tank.

Thank you!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ok here's a weird/random one. Is there some device that I can use to read ebooks on my phone, while in the bathtub, without getting my phone wet? I don't go in for physical books anymore, as I have nowhere to store them, so I started doing Kindle books instead. But I do most of my reading in the bathtub.

So, figured since it's Christmas and all, figured it'd be a good time to look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

Ok here's a weird/random one. Is there some device that I can use to read ebooks on my phone, while in the bathtub, without getting my phone wet? I don't go in for physical books anymore, as I have nowhere to store them, so I started doing Kindle books instead. But I do most of my reading in the bathtub.

So, figured since it's Christmas and all, figured it'd be a good time to look into that.

Low budget effort but a ziplock bag should do it. It keeps my phone dry while running through storms and sweating like nothing else in the Aussie summer.