Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pull up, thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Nintendo belongs to Japan which is an Axis power and also Mario is Italian (another Axis power) and even Zelda is some kind of occult dabbler, not unlike the Germans so

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're referring to the censorship of religion and religious symbols, it was more to avoid any controversy that might've been drummed up by the religious. Nintendo's secular appearance wasn't intended to appeal to the fundamentalists though, and largely I don't think it did.

super noah's ark 3d was made for the snes and no other major console, ergo the nintendo is the fundamentalist christian console AND the best console for retro fps fans. GAME SET MATCH.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TBH I'd have pegged the N64 as better for retro FPS fans, but sure

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

at the risk of a bunch of whinging babies screaming until i shut up, i've been saying for a while that Nintendo's fandom is so bad primarily because NoA has actively cultivated an audience of extreme right-wingers and fundamentalist Christians through their pseudo-"family friendly" image through the N64/GC/Wii era, and...

I mean, compare what they didn't allow out of the original Duke, with what they absolutely did allow in the replaced content (and what they didn't bother touching). they had certain priorities, to say the least, and Duke 64 is probably where those priorities show up the absolute most blatantly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus, the durability of the quality of this thread is poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite censorship story is Maniac Mansion’s credits for Nintendo SCUMM and the NoA rep is like “why does it say scum” and the LucasFilm guy is like “oh that means script creation utility for maniac mansion” and the Nintendo guy is like “yeah... but why does it say scum??”

Anyway Genesis had Corporation, Zero Tolerance, and Star Cruiser so SEGA was clearly the platform for 16-bit FPS games.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Also, demanding the removal of things that had never been in the game at any point, such as cannibalism and nudity.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the other hand, Nintendo had Doom.

I mean, it wasn't great compared to the PC version, but hey, it had a great port of the soundtrack, which is more than I can say for the 32X version, sadly. (It's not even like you can't do Doom music on FM, Thunder Force IV shows you can totally do rockin' FM synth...)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, it wasn't great compared to the PC version, but hey, it had a great port of the soundtrack, which is more than I can say for the 32X version, sadly. (It's not even like you can't do Doom music on FM, Thunder Force IV shows you can totally do rockin' FM synth...)

There's at least one YouTube video of someone redoing At Doom's Gate with FM synth and it sounds much better

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

The 32X version of Doom had a lot working against it.

For one, it was on the 32X, which perhaps wasn't quite enough of a power-jump to justify its existence. For another, 32X dev materials were short in supply and documentation was either untranslated or a pseudo-English slosh. Thirdly, the Saturn was looming on the horizon, which both made it hard for Sega of America to convince anyone to develop for the 32X, and for that matter to get 32Xes manufactured since some of their chips were required for the Saturn. Finally, the deadlines to hit the system launch were intense, resulting in rushed and conservative games that didn't properly show off the 32X's capabilities.

As a result, the 32X port of Doom was effectively rushed out of necessity. If they had extra time and the support of the Japanese branch they could have made a much better port, but even with John Carmack getting flown down to Redwood City to bust his hump for weeks on end, they could only accomplish so much with the time, resources and corporate political pressure available. There are prototype builds of the 32X port out there covering the final month of development, so you can more or less watch them cut, cut, cut features as hard as they could to get it running reasonably and out the door on time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shadow Warrior 3 status: Officially A Thing, as opposed to Theoretically A Thing. Enjoy your cutscene swill!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME43wnIEyKA

quote:

Shadow Warrior 3 launches the offbeat first-person shooter series to the next level with a seamless blend of fast-paced gunplay, razor-sharp melee combat, and a spectacular free-running movement system.

Fallen corporate shogun Lo Wang and his former employer turned nemesis turned sidekick Orochi Zilla embark on an improbable mission to recapture an ancient dragon they unwillingly unleashed from its eternal prison. Armed with a punishing mix of blades and bullets, Lo Wang must traverse uncharted parts of the world to track down the dark beast and push the apocolypse back yet again. All it will take is the mask of a dead god, a dragon's egg, a touch of magic, and enough firepower to tear down the encroaching Shadowlands.
There'll be an actual gameplay reveal, along with probably a bunch of surreal nonsense, on July 11th on the Devolver Direct not-E3 live show.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 6, 2020

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm still not really convinced that the SNES Doom's soundtrack is actually any good and instead people just really really like reverb.

In more detail, it's really messy and badly timed. All the notes in e1m1 come unevenly and the guitar riff sounds like it's tripping on it's own fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGIye6Bkxvw

It sounds a bit better if you rip it out of the game and play it without the actual game running, but that's kinda cheating.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 6, 2020

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regardless of Nintendo's past censorship they're now 100% fine with near any content with the Switch. Wolfenstein and Doom are both present and surprisingly well optimized. And drat, there is SO much shovelware in the eshop. The good news is that means that the console is a haven of indie games that previously only had the capacity for a PC release.

Also also, to try and steer this thread gingerly back to relevance - Splatoon is both a) excellent and b) a perfect deconstruction of how modern FPS deathmatch titles are dogshite.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Over the years I've tried to understand what circumstances resulted in GBA DOOM having half-way decent music using the GBC sound channels, but they, somehow, got the music/level mapping off by one.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Shadow Hog posted:

If you played Doom with an Adlib/SoundBlaster, that was FM synth. It's actually pretty similar to the Yamaha chip found in the Genesis (and by extension, 32X). Unfortunately, it was yet another programming hurdle to make them sound the same.

:goonsay:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if shadow warrior 3 can keep and maybe improve on the actual gunplay from 2 and not have an absolute garbage fire of a plot or least have one that isn't full of bleeding holes and actively insulting, then it might be good!

which i realize can be sort of a tall order, but who knows

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope it doesn't have the same loot system for weapons.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Regardless of Nintendo's past censorship they're now 100% fine with near any content with the Switch. Wolfenstein and Doom are both present and surprisingly well optimized. And drat, there is SO much shovelware in the eshop. The good news is that means that the console is a haven of indie games that previously only had the capacity for a PC release.
Around the time the Switch launched there were news reports that Nintendo were actively seeking out "violent and risqué" content for it, which explains all the demon murder and anime sideboob on the platform.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Roth posted:

I hope it doesn't have the same loot system for weapons.

yeah i hope they got enough feedback about the slottable add-ons to leave that poo poo out of 3. or severely pare it down so it's only relevant poo poo and not just incremental % changes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Over the years I've tried to understand what circumstances resulted in GBA DOOM having half-way decent music using the GBC sound channels, but they, somehow, got the music/level mapping off by one.

$10 says somebody didn't remember that list items start at 0

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh god, Lo Wang can now wall run? He has a grappling hook? I didn't mind Shadow Warrior 2 at all - the combat and unique weapons were great and it handled the whole looter-shooter thing better than Borderlands most of the time - but this new one is already looking like an improvement. I just hope it's more like the original in terms of level design and not slapdash procedurely generated stuff.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bring back Hoji (or somebody like him), give me the better plot and characters of SW2013, and the movement, punchier guns, and greater enemy variety of SW2 and I’m all set.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bring back Hoji (or somebody like him), give me the better plot and characters of SW2013, and the movement, punchier guns, and greater enemy variety of SW2 and I’m all set.

Zilla being your sidekick this time around is a development I did not see coming.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehpU0sjXrQ
Here's the fixed 32x soundtrack, it's obviously not 32x gameplay in the video though.

The Mega Drive sound chips was capable of some great soundtracks in the right hands, many developers did the bare minimum when it came to utilizing both of the sound chips in the Mega Drive though so we ended up with a lot of crappy soundtracks. I'm sure there's a good reason for this.

The Doom port is an obvious example of this especially since it was rushed as we all know.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Fell down a nostalgia hole and reinstalled Rune: Halls of Valhalla. Still had a few custom maps backed up but went searching for more on the web. Most of the old sites are long gone.
It's kind of sad when all these fan maps disappear off the face of the planet never to return given the hours that go into them.

https://twitter.com/dishwasherlove/status/1280277138965278720

But also cool to see where map makers end up. One of my favourite mappers from back in the day apparently works for Bungie now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Considering the completely character assassination of literally everybody except Hoji in SW2 and that they're seemingly sticking with the story of 2 rather than ignoring it isn't a good sign.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I never played the Rune expansion. Is it fun? I played the poo poo out of Rune on ps2. Lizards taste GREAT.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kamrat posted:

The Mega Drive sound chips was capable of some great soundtracks in the right hands, many developers did the bare minimum when it came to utilizing both of the sound chips in the Mega Drive though so we ended up with a lot of crappy soundtracks. I'm sure there's a good reason for this.

Indeed there is.

Long story short, the Genesis/32X used FM synthesis, which is more or less the most unintuitive and batshit complicated form of synthesizer. There were a few composers who actually knew their poo poo with FM synthesis and could get some real magic out of the YM2612, like Yuzo Koshiro and Masato Nakamura, but the vast majority of Western devs had no clue what the gently caress they were doing trying to program the dumb thing. So they griped to Sega of America about it, and Sega of America crapped out GEMS.

GEMS came in two parts. First off, there was the actual sound driver on the Genesis end, which is... not actually the worst, and could do some pretty cool poo poo if you worked some programming wizardry on it. The other side of it, and the reason GEMS is widely regarded as terrible, was a DOS tracker program and set of instrument patches that, when hooked up to a Genesis devkit, could be used to relatively easily compose your soundtrack.

Now, this is sort of neat for the simple fact that it exists at all, especially since (as mentioned) the YM2612 is a complete bastard to program. However, the instrument patches it uses are... really, really not good. Like, if you've ever heard people making GBS threads on Genesis music, there's a 95% chance they're very specifically thinking of games that used GEMS (which includes Doom), especially if "farty basslines" is one of the complaints.

e: notably, several Western devs ended up going "gently caress this" and just rolling their own sound driver from scratch, and you usually saw better results out of that. Accolade had their own that was used in the Bubsy games; Jesper Kyd coded one when he was with Zyrinx that ended up being used for Sub-Terrania, Red Zone, Adventures of Batman & Robin, and a random soccer game; and then Novotrade had one that was used in a bunch of random shovelware (Cyborg Justice, Richard Scarry's Busytown, etc) but also the Ecco the Dolphin games. I'd give all of my non-essential organs to see a hack of 32X Doom that strips out GEMS and runs it all through the Zyrinx driver, with the tracks rewritten to take advantage of it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 7, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a ton of nostalgia for 32x doom since it was the first and only version I owned for a very long time and I wish there was a way to fix the sound and mod in the rest of the levels like that youtube video was describing, but since its from 2018, I'm guessing the project never panned out

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I never played the Rune expansion. Is it fun? I played the poo poo out of Rune on ps2. Lizards taste GREAT.
I'd heard that Halls of Valhalla is pretty strictly MP-only, so unless you play that you aren't really missing anything just sticking with the original release and patching it to the latest version.

This is the part where people quote me en masse to announce I'm wrong, which would be news to me - but not unwelcome news...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a ton of nostalgia for 32x doom since it was the first and only version I owned for a very long time and I wish there was a way to fix the sound and mod in the rest of the levels like that youtube video was describing, but since its from 2018, I'm guessing the project never panned out

you can actually download a romhack with the additional levels already, but at least two of them are legit just too much for the poor little 32X to handle and crash the game immediately

i think someone made a fixed version that removes detail from those levels to get them working, but i'm not sure offhand

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been playing Shadow Warrior 2013 recently and it's pretty good. Didn't know how much I needed a fast shooter with some rudimentary button combos and a fun melee weapon. Everyone says the sequel sucks but eh I'm going to try it anyway.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Nope you're right. Halls of Valhalla was just a multiplayer expansion. Headball and Arena game modes and some maps and player models.

Arena was the real draw. You get sucked in to fight 1v1 while the rest of the server spectate in the stands. Pick any weapon you want.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

al-azad posted:

I've been playing Shadow Warrior 2013 recently and it's pretty good. Didn't know how much I needed a fast shooter with some rudimentary button combos and a fun melee weapon. Everyone says the sequel sucks but eh I'm going to try it anyway.

The core problem with the sequel is that they turned a fun twitch shooter into a looter shooter in the style of borderlands with all of the associated problems. It still keeps the twitch shooter gameplay but, because its a looter shooter, enemies are a lot spongier than they were in Shadow Warrior 2013.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

The core problem with the sequel is that they turned a fun twitch shooter into a looter shooter in the style of borderlands with all of the associated problems. It still keeps the twitch shooter gameplay but, because its a looter shooter, enemies are a lot spongier than they were in Shadow Warrior 2013.

Uninstalling at the speed of light.

This remake is pretty fun where you shoot an air conditioner and it explodes like a mini-nuke.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

enemies really aren't that spongey, and in a lot of cases might even be easier to take out than some of those absolutely awful meat wall enemies in 1. also the actual firing and melee poo poo feels way better than in 1, which helps, because the guns aren't weak pieces of crap.

the core problem is that the writing is the equivalent of whoever wrote it taking a fat, wet poo poo in front of the player

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

yea its a huge shame because theres some fun/stupid movement mechanics but i gave up when it started feeling like it was recycling content about two hours in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

you can actually download a romhack with the additional levels already, but at least two of them are legit just too much for the poor little 32X to handle and crash the game immediately

i think someone made a fixed version that removes detail from those levels to get them working, but i'm not sure offhand

straight into my everdrives veins, please!