Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

big mean giraffe posted:

A Blackberry that old is hardly comparable to a modern smartphone. I could easily blow through 300mb in a half hour just surfing the net and streaming music.

True but I'm going to do neither of those even with a new smartphone.

Well, maybe occasionally look up something on the net, but not sit an idly surf. Usually I just ended up using it to look up something location specific on Yelp or google maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard that so many times from people who've never had a real smartphone before, it's hilarious at this point. Syncing your contacts and email alone could probably eat through a 300mb data cap, nevermind any apps you download to increase your phone's functionality.

\/\/\/ I've heard all that from people with dumbphones too. Then they get a smartphone, and use it all the time for a variety of tasks that they excel at. You really don't know how incredibly handy they are until you have one.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 6, 2012

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

big mean giraffe posted:

I've heard that so many times from people who've never had a real smartphone before, it's hilarious at this point. Syncing your contacts and email alone could probably eat through a 300mb data cap, nevermind any apps you download to increase your phone's functionality.

Yeah, I can imagine.

I'd rather keep a dumbphone entirely than upgrade my plan to accomodate a smarter phone though. So, there's that. I have no interest in using it beyond texting and calls. Being able to pull down email and look up location data is a nice perk but completely unnecessary. Just figured since I was definitely going to trash the dumb phone I was using that I might find / connect something more interesting but it's really not something I care about all that much.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
So we had our quarterly meeting.

Get ready to get sick of hearing about Windows phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

Trying to double sales volume to 12 units sold next quarter?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Breaky posted:

Yeah, I can imagine.

I'd rather keep a dumbphone entirely than upgrade my plan to accomodate a smarter phone though. So, there's that. I have no interest in using it beyond texting and calls. Being able to pull down email and look up location data is a nice perk but completely unnecessary. Just figured since I was definitely going to trash the dumb phone I was using that I might find / connect something more interesting but it's really not something I care about all that much.

You should def get an iPod touch.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mighty Horse posted:

When we were evaluating our choices for staff cell phones, the Windows server team bitched up down left and right that WP7 wasn't an option.

I guess "Nobody uses that poo poo and it has worse Exchange capabilities than iOS or Android" wasn't enough for them.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Just a peek on the inside, we are a small retailer, and have 5 Stores, there will be a total of 6 windows phone skus. 3 each color the HTC and the Nokia.

So even to stock 2 of each color, in 5 stores, thats near $50K in inventory for me to carry something that has had a track record of nothing but massive failure. And that's before I stock any accessories for these.

And yet, I am supposed to get excited. Suuuuure.

Still debating on carrying ANY of this. They got pissed at us when I threw all the Kin merchandising directly from ups into the trash, would love to see the reaction when I decide to not carry any of it.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 6, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Small update for anyone ordering an iPhone 5 through Verizon. I placed an order online for a 32GB Black on 10/27, was originally quoted a 11/16 ship by date. Received a shipping notification yesterday and the phone is out for delivery today.

So if you're looking to get a iPhone 5, order it via a corporate store or the website.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Mighty Horse posted:

Just a peek on the inside, we are a small retailer, and have 5 Stores, there will be a total of 6 windows phone skus. 3 each color the HTC and the Nokia.

So even to stock 2 of each color, in 5 stores, thats near $50K in inventory for me to carry something that has had a track record of nothing but massive failure. And that's before I stock any accessories for these.

And yet, I am supposed to get excited. Suuuuure.

Still debating on carrying ANY of this. They got pissed at us when I through all the Kin merchandising directly from ups into the trash, would love to see the reaction when I decide to not carry any of it.

Are you a COR or indirect store?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

indirect.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

If you can't sell windows phones to people you suck at your job

I moved tons of windows stuff on Att. Quick easy to use phones that people really enjoy as a first smart phone . Very very few complaints. And most of those were from people who asked about the Nokia or something and didn't Listen when I said apps were limited.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm pretty sure I'd take a second tier android phone over most of the abominations I've seen classified as windows phones. I haven't seen the most recent batch but the few I've played with before were pretty awful compared to even outdated android.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case anyone was wondering, the idle power consumption of the Razr MAXX HD (on mostly wifi) seems to be about 1% per hour. This is with all normal syncing turned on as well as 1 activesync account through touchdown.

There are still more wake locks than I would like and I'm investigating what may be causing them (stupid current Maps update.) So it's possible that may improve if I can figure out what they are and stop them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the idle power consumption of the Razr MAXX HD (on mostly wifi) seems to be about 1% per hour. This is with all normal syncing turned on as well as 1 activesync account through touchdown.

There are still more wake locks than I would like and I'm investigating what may be causing them (stupid current Maps update.) So it's possible that may improve if I can figure out what they are and stop them.

Hmm, if you do find out another cause, let us know. That doesn't seem much more efficient than the Nexus, given the difference in battery sizes. I guess the real test is if the cell radio idling is noticeably better. I expect it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

That doesn't seem much more efficient than the Nexus, given the difference in battery sizes.

Are you kidding? Idle battery drain for me on my Galaxy Nexus was about triple that. I was chuging down around 3% per hour.

1% per hour battery drain idle would leave the MAXX with almost 4 days idle time if used intermittently. That's better than any smartphone I know that's not in airplane mode.

Anyways, I think the culprit of the wake locks was Touchdown mostly. Wifi is sketchy at work and apparently touchdown will wake up to check mail if there's a change in network state. Anytime wifi dropped off or back in again, Touchdown was waking to poll the exchange server.

I'm just going to disable push anyways as I don't need it when I'm at work since I'm sitting in front of outlook all day and I don't answer emails off hours unless it's an emergency and someone calls me.

Tomorrow I'm going to leave wifi off all day and just idle on LTE and see what happens.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 7, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

I spent about six months on a Galaxy S with a 200MB data plan. If you're aware of what uses data, really, it's fine. 200MB basically adds up to an infinite amount of Google Voice/Google Talk usage, plenty of Maps usage (lay off the Street View), and all the mobile browsing I ever needed to do (ESPN, Google searches, Wiki, etc.). Now that T-Mobile sells a 2GB plan for only $5/month more than the 200MB plan, it's not really worth thinking about -- but it's very doable.

It's beginning to occur to me that I don't really need LTE in a phone right now. Don't get me wrong, I love my unlimited LTE and use the poo poo out of it... but I mostly use it when my RAZR Maxx is tethered to a tablet or laptop. On trains and buses, it's really just more of a battery liability than anything else. Obviously this'll be a non-issue when we've got LTE-only phones and the CDMA/Ev-DO networks have been completely decommed, but that isn't the reality right now.

It would cost $22.50/month + taxes to add a line with voice and 2GB data to my T-Mobile account. I'm considering doing that with a Nexus 4, and throwing my Verizon LTE SIM into a MiFi w/ extended battery (which will live in a bag) for eternity.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
So here is a question.

I am still with verizon because I am grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan.
At the rate I pay, if I were to sign a new contract to buy a phone through verizon, I would only have the minimum of 2 gb a month. I want to keep my unlimited data plan and keep the same rate of pay, if possible.
I guess this means that I have to shell out several hundred for a galaxy s3 huh? Is there any...cheaper way? Does amazon have some sort of steals with unlocked phones?

Also, another reason I would like another phone, is because my HTC thunderbolt wont allow the device to be a wifi hotspot due to HTC lock. Now, phones by samsung, do they have any type of lock that would prevent it from being a hotspot too?

Also, has anyone else clinged on to their unlimited data somehow?

Thanks in advance guys.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

What the rest of us leet haxors do is buy phones on craigslist. My buddy with an unlimited plan got a Galaxy S III for $400 cash brand new in box last month. That shouldn't be too hard to match.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

If you can't sell windows phones to people you suck at your job

I moved tons of windows stuff on Att. Quick easy to use phones that people really enjoy as a first smart phone . Very very few complaints. And most of those were from people who asked about the Nokia or something and didn't Listen when I said apps were limited.

I'm not saying we can't sell them, but the margins are a bit thin on something so unproven, and there is VERY little demand out there in the real world.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Are you kidding? Idle battery drain for me on my Galaxy Nexus was about triple that. I was chuging down around 3% per hour.

Well, the thing has a battery close to double the size of the stock Nexus battery. So if it loses ~1% battery while the Nexus loses ~2%, it's not any more efficient. The reason I said it's expected is because the battery efficiency gains for the RAZR HD should be during LTE (better radio) and during active use (better CPU), not really wifi idling. That's all :shobon:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Well, the thing has a battery close to double the size of the stock Nexus battery.

It isn't though.

Stock Galaxy Nexus battery is 1850mAh, Razr HD MAXX is 3300. The Razr HD MAXX only has 56% more capacity. Yet it's lasting almost 3 times as long on idle.

That's huge, especially since that's comparing wifi to wifi.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It isn't though.

Stock Galaxy Nexus battery is 1850mAh, Razr HD MAXX is 3300. The Razr HD MAXX only has 56% more capacity. Yet it's lasting almost 3 times as long on idle.

That's huge, especially since that's comparing wifi to wifi.

3300 - 1850 = 1450
1450/1850 = 78%

Whatever though, I think we agree the RAZR HD has good battery! And I'm looking forward to seeing how much the better radios and CPU make a difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

3300 - 1850 = 1450
1450/1850 = 78%

Whatever though, I think we agree the RAZR HD has good battery! And I'm looking forward to seeing how much the better radios and CPU make a difference.

Oops, that's a rather embarrassing math mistake. I'm just going to claim long day and move on.

I will say that its becoming rare for me to see the battery dip below 80%

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Mighty Horse posted:

I'm not saying we can't sell them, but the margins are a bit thin on something so unproven, and there is VERY little demand out there in the real world.

It's kind of a shame, really, that Windows phones do so poorly. Every review I read about WP7 and now WP8 say that it's a REALLY well thought out and designed O/S. The reviews on the HTC 8X have been glowing. I'm one of the 10 people that actually like Windows 8, so it should be a no-brainer to switch from Android to WP8 for me...except it's not. I don't really like the concept of being locked in to a Windows phone for the next two years. I love Android and the way it operates. With Windows on my computer, I was able to obtain a legit copy of Win8 for 40 bucks. So if I didn't end up liking Win 8, I could always go back to 7 and I'm only out 40 bucks...not 2 years and possibly thousands in phone bills.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dr Blah PhD posted:

So here is a question.

I am still with verizon because I am grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan.
At the rate I pay, if I were to sign a new contract to buy a phone through verizon, I would only have the minimum of 2 gb a month. I want to keep my unlimited data plan and keep the same rate of pay, if possible.
I guess this means that I have to shell out several hundred for a galaxy s3 huh? Is there any...cheaper way? Does amazon have some sort of steals with unlocked phones?

Also, another reason I would like another phone, is because my HTC thunderbolt wont allow the device to be a wifi hotspot due to HTC lock. Now, phones by samsung, do they have any type of lock that would prevent it from being a hotspot too?

Also, has anyone else clinged on to their unlimited data somehow?

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm in essentially the same situation you are and have looked around online a bit. What I've found is that another option is to add a new line with the new phone, then switch the numbers around so your current number is with the new phone. I'm not 100% sure if this works on expired contracts or not, but I'm waiting for the HTC DNA announcement before deciding on what I'm going to do about a new phone anyway.

Does anyone know if doing this will work how I want it to?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Psimitry posted:

It's kind of a shame, really, that Windows phones do so poorly. Every review I read about WP7 and now WP8 say that it's a REALLY well thought out and designed O/S. The reviews on the HTC 8X have been glowing. I'm one of the 10 people that actually like Windows 8, so it should be a no-brainer to switch from Android to WP8 for me...except it's not. I don't really like the concept of being locked in to a Windows phone for the next two years. I love Android and the way it operates. With Windows on my computer, I was able to obtain a legit copy of Win8 for 40 bucks. So if I didn't end up liking Win 8, I could always go back to 7 and I'm only out 40 bucks...not 2 years and possibly thousands in phone bills.

Honestly, if past indications are right, wait about 3 months after the release of Verizon's next windows phone and pick one up used for a 3rd of the price and pop your SIM into it. That way you can test drive without being locked in.

I would agree that we need a strong 3rd competitor in the mobile space, but it seems like Microsoft and RIM are participating in brinkmanship to see who can cock up their executions the worst and still survive.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

pik_d posted:

I'm in essentially the same situation you are and have looked around online a bit. What I've found is that another option is to add a new line with the new phone, then switch the numbers around so your current number is with the new phone. I'm not 100% sure if this works on expired contracts or not, but I'm waiting for the HTC DNA announcement before deciding on what I'm going to do about a new phone anyway.

Does anyone know if doing this will work how I want it to?

Yes, but you need to do it at a corporate store. The guy at the authorized reseller I was chatting with said they get charged the full amount, but the corporate store can more or less do whatever they want. We did this for a SGS3 when my girlfriend broke her Thunderbolt.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Interesting trick, I'm in the same boat. Considering a switch to Sprint. On a DX1 now, getting fed up with it, but use way more than 2GB a month. Going to set it to only update apps over wifi and see if that brings it down significantly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, with my phone waking up less and wifi turned off, it looks like I'm getting close to 1% every two hours idle drain on my MAXX. That's idling on LTE.

About the only thing I really did was disable push for active sync because I'm really not needing it. All other sync services are on.

At this rate, I'll have only lost like 5% battery during the course of a workday.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

So, with my phone waking up less and wifi turned off, it looks like I'm getting close to 1% every two hours idle drain on my MAXX. That's idling on LTE.

About the only thing I really did was disable push for active sync because I'm really not needing it. All other sync services are on.

At this rate, I'll have only lost like 5% battery during the course of a workday.

Ha, better on LTE than (spotty) wifi? I guess the radios may be slightly better than the Galaxy Nexus :) Someday a mythical Motorola Nexus will appear and it will be good.

Wasn't there a Jelly Bean leak already for the RAZR HDs? Have you tried it out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Wasn't there a Jelly Bean leak already for the RAZR HDs? Have you tried it out?

There has, but I haven't. There is a way back to stock now so there isn't a ton of risk, but I don't feel like messing with the thing right now.

Honestly, the only thing I miss about JB right now is the expanded notifications, so I can wait.

It also looks like I could probably eek out even more batttery life if I turned off location services for smart actions. Smart actions is using wifi for location and it's turning it on periodically. Even though wifi is off, it's still 13% of my battery drain right now.

Not that I'm really complaining though. I have battery to spare.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 7, 2012

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Are there any known 4G issues or am I just being stupid. I don't think I've had 4G for 24 hours.

Dayton, OH fwiw

Droid Bionic, ICS, stock

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
How does tethering work with the new share everything plans and the Maxx HD in particular? Just download Foxfi or is it a bit more complicated than that? Reason I ask is that my mom has an upgrade on her phone along with paying for a separate hotspot device. If she can leave the hotspot at her workplace for people to use and tether her laptop to her phone it would help her out a lot. She doesn't use near enough data to warrant keeping unlimited as she ends up saving $40 with the newer plans so she is willing to move to the new plans.

Any other decent phones to look at other than the Maxx HD? Her main needs are phone, text, email, gps and battery life. Thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are on share everything, the built in mobile hotspot app should work just fine since share everything includes tethering.

You only need to use 3rd party app if you want to get around Verizon's tethering fees.

Edit:

In other news, the bootloader of the Razr HD may not be unlocked, but there's now a custom recovery method avaliable.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/07/droid-razr-hd-receives-safestrap-and-custom-recovery-let-the-rom-flashing-begin/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 8, 2012

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I cracked my weeks old GS3 on the pavement today didn't have insurance, is there any way I can work even a discount on a replacement at the store tomorrow?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

blakout posted:

I cracked my weeks old GS3 on the pavement today didn't have insurance
Send straight to Samsung and pay $180ish or whatever to have it fixed.

blakout posted:

is there any way I can work even a discount on a replacement at the store tomorrow?
No.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

blakout posted:

I cracked my weeks old GS3 on the pavement today didn't have insurance, is there any way I can work even a discount on a replacement at the store tomorrow?

There's cell phone repair shops in my area that replace screens. There's also a loving jewelry repair shop that replaces touch screens on smart phones.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Should wifi or lte be better for battery? Both have very strong signals. I would have thought wifi would be better but in my (limited) testing I'm finding a slight edge for lte. But data usage can vary so much day-to-day it's really hard to tell. I have a regular razr so battery life is not stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

lazer_chicken posted:

Should wifi or lte be better for battery? Both have very strong signals. I would have thought wifi would be better but in my (limited) testing I'm finding a slight edge for lte. But data usage can vary so much day-to-day it's really hard to tell. I have a regular razr so battery life is not stellar.

They're going to be really close with the newer SOCs, as chips with the LTE modem integrated are leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generation.

I would still imagine WiFi having the edge, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain circumstances pushed it the other way.

• Locked thread