Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
One of my non-Goon Factorio friends linked me this insane Imgur album with the message "I heard you like train stations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ratzap posted:

Eh that was answered earlier this page (sort of) but anyway, it's possibly tied with Dytech (or a shade under it) for spergtasticness

My one gripe with Dytech is that I've realized that setting up pipes is substantially less interesting to me than than kludging belt monstrosities together. Nonetheless I really need to rationalize the sludge output from the iron/copper centrifuges because that poo poo is running at, like, 30% capacity or something.

Also, ^^^that album is worth taking a look at. I feel much less silly about overbuilding everything like I like to now that I've seen that!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ignoranus posted:

One of my non-Goon Factorio friends linked me this insane Imgur album with the message "I heard you like train stations."

Uhh

Why

I mean, I guess it could be a great unloader and buffer, but it's supplying a single yellow belt with 100 train cars.

"Just for fun" is a valid response, but it still will horrify me.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Regarding trains delivering to multiple stations with the same name: it's also necessary to make the trains deliver to the station with the least buffered material, or at least one which isn't full. Otherwise they always deliver to the closest station (except when the closest has a train in it already).

The only way I could find to do this, due to it being impossible to disable stations with circuits, is a dummy train for each station which just parks in the station when it gets too full, and leaves when there's space again. This forces trains to pick another station and you don't need the 'triage' station. Just disabling signals won't work because the trains will wait indefinitely at a red, but having a train physically in the path seems to make them choose another station.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A few more things I discovered about many stations single name.

When a train is stopped at a red block signal, it can change what station it goes to. I don't think the pathfinder does path changes at chain signals (or maybe it only happens at red chain signals and not blue chain signals).

It also helps to right size your station, or right size the number of trains going through it. If you balance the outputs of all the unloader stations, you can avoid a single one being full by just jamming the whole thing full of trains. If they're all full, then you don't have one that's more full than the others!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

gently caress this poo poo, my main base can't keep up with late-game stuff even though I tried planning for it right at the beginning. Making blue belts and stuff is a pain in the rear end, so I'm loading up my train with a poo poo-tonne of base building supplies and make a new base from the ground up with the help of 500 construction bots.

Massive biters keep attacking my railway pole lines which means I'm constantly running out into the middle of nowhere to place another pole down otherwise I have outposts with no power.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Playing with trains in my save, I was realizing the thing I wished I could do was uncouple and recouple cars to trains automatically. It would be pretty sweet to have a train park up its cars in a siding, and then having another train shuttle around and build up the mixed train I need from the individual cars parked in various sidings. Otherwise I need to build some sort of transfer station or something like that to transfer cargo to reassemble trains (or have one train with filtered cars go various places to pick up its raw goods).

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's the coolest railway intersection gif you have seen?
I want to show them to my friend who I'm trying to get into the game. The most interesting thing for him so far have been trains and I want to show him how cool it can get.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loopoo posted:

gently caress this poo poo, my main base can't keep up with late-game stuff even though I tried planning for it right at the beginning. Making blue belts and stuff is a pain in the rear end, so I'm loading up my train with a poo poo-tonne of base building supplies and make a new base from the ground up with the help of 500 construction bots.

Massive biters keep attacking my railway pole lines which means I'm constantly running out into the middle of nowhere to place another pole down otherwise I have outposts with no power.

If you have biters attacking your railway poles, I'd suggest going to so some pruning before attempting to build another base.

Also, add a zero or two to that bot number.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SinineSiil posted:

What's the coolest railway intersection gif you have seen?
I want to show them to my friend who I'm trying to get into the game. The most interesting thing for him so far have been trains and I want to show him how cool it can get.

This album is a little old, but it's still applicable: http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd
My favorite is the 4-way windmill intersection.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Solumin posted:

This album is a little old, but it's still applicable: http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd
My favorite is the 4-way windmill intersection.

Thank you, although this album seems to be lacking moving images.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SinineSiil posted:

Thank you, although this album seems to be lacking moving images.

I didn't see "railway gifs" when I read your post, sorry! I don't think I've seen any, to be honest -- maybe look for a rail tutorial on YouTube? It's not gifs but it should still be the intersections in motion.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

My one gripe with Dytech is that I've realized that setting up pipes is substantially less interesting to me than than kludging belt monstrosities together. Nonetheless I really need to rationalize the sludge output from the iron/copper centrifuges because that poo poo is running at, like, 30% capacity or something.

Also, ^^^that album is worth taking a look at. I feel much less silly about overbuilding everything like I like to now that I've seen that!

I'm happy to take care if the pipe spaghetti if it's not something you enjoy. I held off because I thought you wanted to do it and didn't want to muck up your layout plans (if you had any) for that area. Too many cooks makes for a bad MP experience. Iron and Copper are the only 2 metals we really need high throughput on so 5 furnaces to 8 forges for each will be fine. I need to work out the ratio for the others because they all have different times (like bronze is 1.5s per bar instead of 0.2 for iron). If you want to do the layout, let me know if you want the piping done. I'll stay out of the way unless you want a hand.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Loopoo posted:

Don't biters only attack power poles if they've been aggroed by a turret or reached a pollution source already? Check that you don't have some outpost with turrets that keep dying to biters and getting replaced.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

Don't biters only attack power poles if they've been aggroed by a turret or reached a pollution source already? Check that you don't have some outpost with turrets that keep dying to biters and getting replaced.

Nah. If they happen to coincidentally pathfind into an obstacle, they'll attack whatever that obstacle it is. So out of all the land they travel, they somehow manage to hit the one drat pole in the middle of nowhere 4 times out of 10. It's really frustrating. They beeline straight for my largest pollution source and sometimes it'll give them a direct collision course into a railway pole line.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Loopoo posted:

Nah. If they happen to coincidentally pathfind into an obstacle, they'll attack whatever that obstacle it is. So out of all the land they travel, they somehow manage to hit the one drat pole in the middle of nowhere 4 times out of 10. It's really frustrating. They beeline straight for my largest pollution source and sometimes it'll give them a direct collision course into a railway pole line.

You can stick an outpost with guns and a radar so they path towards it

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm playing on RSO. I've got train tracks that go on for a good 2 minutes ride. The entire track has steel electric poles spaced as far apart as they can go. It'd be way too much of an undertaking to put outposts regularly along the entire length of track to aggro biters to.

I'm either gonna wipe out all the biter nests that are within my pollution cloud (I'd rather not, it'll become really tedious and boring) or I'll just set FARL to "Maintain" mode and get it to place the same tracks down but this time the electric poles will be surrounded by walls. I'm hoping the biters will bump into the walls and then ignore it instead of attacking it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Loopoo posted:

I'm playing on RSO. I've got train tracks that go on for a good 2 minutes ride. The entire track has steel electric poles spaced as far apart as they can go. It'd be way too much of an undertaking to put outposts regularly along the entire length of track to aggro biters to.

I'm either gonna wipe out all the biter nests that are within my pollution cloud (I'd rather not, it'll become really tedious and boring) or I'll just set FARL to "Maintain" mode and get it to place the same tracks down but this time the electric poles will be surrounded by walls. I'm hoping the biters will bump into the walls and then ignore it instead of attacking it.

They will attack the walls, you'll have to add guns too

Qubee
May 31, 2013

gently caress. Purge of the Biters is the way to go, I guess.

Are there any mods out there that are decent and let you make an army that does it for you? I downloaded that Robot Army mod but the robots are so stupid and I can't seem to get them set up right. I wish I turned Biter nests down during world gen...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trabisnikof posted:

Radars aren't the biter magnets they somehow got the reputation of being. They path to pollution maxima and attack anything from the combat page if they see it before they get there.

Loopoo posted:

I don't know if I dreamed it up as a patch note on one of the 0.13 patches or I'm just unluckier than previous games but I swear biters are more obsessed with anything remotely on their path. Walls probably won't cut it to make them ignore.

Unless your settings have made an awful no mans land of biters it should be problems with the same few power poles right? So you should just be able to drop down an outpost where the attacks are happening and call it alright instead of trying to biter proof the whole network or genociding wide bits of country you otherwise don't care about.

e. its like the last reason to finally use laser turrets when guns and flamethrowers are so awesome lately.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Trabisnikof posted:

They will attack the walls, you'll have to add guns too

A couple of blueprinted large-pole-and-8-laser-turrets-in-walls miniforts slapped down anywhere you see damage is probably the most effective solution here. Biters attacks should come from a finite number of locations on similar vectors, so eventually you will have stuck enough fingers into the dyke to actually stop it.

Of course, as attacks intensify walls will start to take damage and you'll need to add small logistics networks with a few construction bots and repair packs, or scale the fortifications. If you're the poster who was into ammo delivery logistics, you could probably just start with the remote logistics setup fed by a train stop and go with more-elaborate forts right out of the gate. Blueprints should make pasting one wherever you need it a matter of hooking up your train station to the main line while your personal bots fly; obviously it all requires more effort than driving out to replace poles every once in awhile but if you're stopping the biters out there then you're not needing to stop them at your smelter fortifications or whatever.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Too bad the robot army doesn't just spread like Biters do. Have a central robot supply depot, robots cart it out and build outposts up to a few thousand tile radius from the supply depot to build bases. Just place a depot near each of your bases for defenses, have one or two along major rail lines, and you're good to go.

zedprime posted:

genociding wide bits of country you otherwise don't care about.

I don't know how much of my time I spent just razing square miles of land, burning out entire forests just so it's easier next time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a lot of stuff in the Robot Army for automatically deploying armies but that ends up just being more hassle than it's worth. Just get yourself a whole pile of the highest level bot you can build. Go out from your base until you hit biters. Drop a stack of bot's relatively close. They'll just kinda keep going outward until they get destroyed. I eventually ended up sending out armies of two stacks (50) terminators and they last quite a bit longer on my map, but that depends on your map. At first I was just doing it to clear out patches for expansion, but then I realized those fuckers would just go forever. So I keep riding out to the edge of biter expansion and dropping an army and walking away. I might have to come back to that same spot and do it a couple times because sometimes they army will go off in some tangent but they're still out their killing.

(Circles are enemy base expansion candidates, the greener the circle the more favorable it is for an expansion. Enemy bases can only expand a certain distance from an existing base, so places with no circles are just too far away from the enemy for base expansion.

Victory over the biters is within your grasp, soldier. Would you like to know more?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
After my last game ended with me being completely overwhelmed by biters (expanded too quickly with very little defense), I restarted on a map with the amount of water set very high. I also set the quantity and richness of stone to be very high so I could churn out lots of land fills.

It's been fun establishing giant wall forts across a peninsula and letting Biters slam into it constantly. I also have the fortress linked to my logistics network so I'm always being resupplied for raiding to get alien artifacts

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

FISHMANPET posted:

There's a lot of stuff in the Robot Army for automatically deploying armies but that ends up just being more hassle than it's worth. Just get yourself a whole pile of the highest level bot you can build. Go out from your base until you hit biters. Drop a stack of bot's relatively close. They'll just kinda keep going outward until they get destroyed. I eventually ended up sending out armies of two stacks (50) terminators and they last quite a bit longer on my map, but that depends on your map. At first I was just doing it to clear out patches for expansion, but then I realized those fuckers would just go forever. So I keep riding out to the edge of biter expansion and dropping an army and walking away. I might have to come back to that same spot and do it a couple times because sometimes they army will go off in some tangent but they're still out their killing.

(Circles are enemy base expansion candidates, the greener the circle the more favorable it is for an expansion. Enemy bases can only expand a certain distance from an existing base, so places with no circles are just too far away from the enemy for base expansion.

Victory over the biters is within your grasp, soldier. Would you like to know more?

Do the robot armies cause new chunks to be generated as they move outward?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

The 0.13 MP game Dred is running has gotten weird lately. Biters are expanding at a ludicrous rate. I go clear them out and in an hour they're all back.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm glad that the "victory pole" method of biter control doesn't work anymore, but overall I'm not happy with how closely to your base the biters can expand.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 27, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm glad that the "victory pole" method of biter control doesn't work anymore, but overall I'm not happy with how closely to your base the biters can expand.

I toyed with sending out some radars near biter bases to keep an eye on their expansion, and noticed where I had built the power poles, their weights for expansion dropped a little bit. I dropped a few turrets with brick walls surrounding them, and the weights dropped even more. So maybe not a "victory pole", but a "victory turret with a stack of ammo" can keep them at bay and have them expand in the other direction for a long while.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
You could always try a great wall of china approach (easier with enormous amounts of water), as when the biters expand they do have to physically travel to their target location and can be killed on the way.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've been tinkering with a Youki save (trying to get into it basically but it's not structured, it's just here's a big pile of stuff, do whatever) and added Reactors to it to check them out.

Controls via the towers once I worked out which signal was for what and I get 24.2MW (the generators are 8 x 3.2MW primary) which is close enough to the advertised to be fine. Youki has bigger generators but those are the biggest primary ones I found. I have a pretty vast pile of depleted uranium already. I'm reprocessing what comes out but I hope you're going to add something that uses up the DU somehow.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

This is loving awesome and yes I'd like to hear more stories. I'll do what you suggested: forget meddling with the robot army settings and just drop stacks of 50 on the outskirts to let them deal with biters.

Also to the guy asking if robots uncover new chunks, yes they do.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

I've been tinkering with a Youki save (trying to get into it basically but it's not structured, it's just here's a big pile of stuff, do whatever) and added Reactors to it to check them out.

Controls via the towers once I worked out which signal was for what and I get 24.2MW (the generators are 8 x 3.2MW primary) which is close enough to the advertised to be fine. Youki has bigger generators but those are the biggest primary ones I found. I have a pretty vast pile of depleted uranium already. I'm reprocessing what comes out but I hope you're going to add something that uses up the DU somehow.

Switch to the breeder cycle. That consumes enriched fuel and DU to produce plutonium and spent fuel, combine plutonium with uranium to produce more fuel, feed your DU back in to burn it up.

I used a spreadsheet to step through the fuel cycle, for every 50 or so uranium you input, you should be able to burn up 10 of your DU stockpile, but it will last for quite a while. I am thinking I will increase the fuel consumption speed (or make it scale more with power output).

In terms of DU recipes, there are two approaches I could try: fancy DU ammo, or a recipe that uses DU to make regular piercing ammo but at a reduced cost in steel/copper. Which would you prefer?

Edit: I could also add an alternate poison capsule recipe that uses plutonium

Edit 2: whoops, you're already using the breeder

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

Switch to the breeder cycle. That consumes enriched fuel and DU to produce plutonium and spent fuel, combine plutonium with uranium to produce more fuel.

I used a spreadsheet to step through the fuel cycle, for every 50 or so uranium you input, you should be able to burn up 10 of your DU stockpile, but it will last for quite a while. I am thinking I will increase the fuel consumption speed (or make it scale more with power output).

In terms of DU recipes, there are two approaches I could try: fancy DU ammo, or a recipe that uses DU to make regular piercing ammo but at a reduced cost in steel/copper. Which would you prefer?

Edit: I could also add an alternate poison capsule recipe that uses plutonium

I forgot to say I was using the breeder cycle already. The stuff it spits out I reprocess but I already have something like 24,000 DU in a warehouse. Fancy DU ammo would be my preference. Cheaper AP doesn't sound too attractive when you basically have infinite resources.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

Do the robot armies cause new chunks to be generated as they move outward?

Yes... They have a portable radar that opens up new chunks of the map as they hunt the closest bitters.
I just dont like when the closest bitter is on an Island and the droids stop because they cant pathfind their way to them, but that is a minor thing, i love my terminator bots.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Where can I find a tutorial to make a 10-lamp-long storage counter for my railway stations? I want to be able to look at a glance to see how full of ore the chests are at the station. I was hoping to have each light represent 1/10th capacity.

I can't figure out how the gently caress to do it. I originally put 10 lamps down, 10 decider combinators and wired all the chests up to the deciders. I then had each decider wired only to it's corresponding lamp.

Decided not to give up and kept at it, this is what I came up with (it's probably hugely inefficient and I could most likely do it with far fewer combinators and stuff but I'm an absolute noob):

View of my loading station, showing the entire assembly. All the chests are linked via red wire, which goes through the poles to the substation, and then splits out to all the arithmetic combinators

Each arithmetic combinator goes to it's own decider combinator, which basically says if the signal sent is greater than whichever position it's in (position 1 through 10, counting from the bottom of the decider setup) it'll send out a signal and the lamps are just set to light up if the signal sent is greater than 0. The arithmetic combinators are just dividing for me: 32 chests * 48 slots * 50 iron ore stack = 76,800. They take the amount of iron and divide by 7680 to give me values between 1 and 10.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Can I do this much more compact and easily? I was originally wasting so much time doing all the calculations myself and setting each decider to only output a signal if <total capacity the steel chests can handle>/<10> is greater than 1. It was awful. I'm really happy though, combinators are fun!

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 27, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Each lamp itself is a decider combinator directly linked to lights on.

The simplest way is to string all the chests up into a single circuit network. Either divide that by total chest capacity/10 in a single arithmetic combinator to use lamps set up with deciders in intervals of 10, or set up the lamp deciders in intervals of 10%. You can string up all the lights linearly just to pass the same signal down since they all decided based on the same number in either method.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

Each lamp itself is a decider combinator directly linked to lights on.

The simplest way is to string all the chests up into a single circuit network. Either divide that by total chest capacity/10 in a single arithmetic combinator to use lamps set up with deciders in intervals of 10, or set up the lamp deciders in intervals of 10%. You can string up all the lights linearly just to pass the same signal down since they all decided based on the same number in either method.

God drat it. I knew there was a much easier way. I had no idea it'd be that simple... Thanks man.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is there a mod for stronger radars? I have one I guess I downloaded during .12 that doesn't woek anymore and I can't find a replacement. I don't care whether it make the base radar stronger or just creates a Big Radar structure.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's one called Big Brother that adds research to make the radars more effective and faster. I installed it but removed it because it caused all 200 of my radars to "pop" at the same time and caused a lag spike every 10 seconds or so.

I'd really like one that is a separate structure that is more powerful than the standard one that I can put on the borders of my expansion to see into the unknown, but leave the cheap standard ones behind so my expansions are visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Directional radar could also be neat, although it would probably really want 8 way placement instead of 4 way. I guess just having a box that has one corner on the radar would probably work pretty well, you could always combine two of them next to each other for larger coverage.