Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
The FO4 survival beta is hitting steam next week.

I'm not sure if I'll play it, I like being a walking tank with thousands of bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I tired survival mode in New Vegas and hated every goddamn second of it. Having to micromanage thirst, hunger, sleep, ammo weight, etc. was the exact opposite of fun to me. I just want to do all of the drugs and blow poo poo to chunks with my fat man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

sitchelin posted:

I tired survival mode in New Vegas and hated every goddamn second of it. Having to micromanage thirst, hunger, sleep, ammo weight, etc. was the exact opposite of fun to me. I just want to do all of the drugs and blow poo poo to chunks with my fat man.

I need an authentic post nuclear holocaust survival experience, with as many bars as possible.

I miss S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
The thirst/hunger stuff in NV was so watered down I have trouble believing it was overwhelming to anyone. All you had to do was once a day click on a food and a drink in your Pipboy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
A sense of mild urgency in a game is bad, because

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Copper Vein posted:

The thirst/hunger stuff in NV was so watered down I have trouble believing it was overwhelming to anyone. All you had to do was once a day click on a food and a drink in your Pipboy.

Even more so because the food heals you when you consume it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

A sense of mild urgency in a game is bad, because

Except in practice it was only an annoyance.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The NV implementation of it was terrible, because they made it really easy. It was actually pretty fun in it's original form from FO3 Wanderer's Edition. That motorcycle based fast-travel mechanism was great too, so you couldn't just teleport all over the loving place.

But the key to any survival mode is making the enemies dangerous, in a 'getting shot three times will kill you' way, and not a 'direct impact this mutant with a mini-nuke, he loses 10% health' way.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

IIRC, FO4s Survival mode makes combat deadly for both you and enemies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I might try survival mode at some point out of curiousity, but I've been enjoying just taking my time and overleveling myself into being a walking god of death that also has to micromanage his drat settlements.

I hit level 104 today, and chew through BOS Knights in T60d power armor like they were toddlers in cardboard boxes. My biggest physical threat is shooting explosive rounds a little close to myself and causing self-injury.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

You can skip the Boss fight in the DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYhrm2Z8tbM

Spoilers obviously

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
So how does everyone like the dlc?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DAS Super! posted:

So how does everyone like the dlc?

The quest is kinda forgettable and it bugged on me at the last second and became incompletable, but building robots is super fun.

All the new weapons and the new armor set are rad.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

the new Survival mode is hard as hell.

The lack of anywhere saving is deadly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not too far into the DLC but Sunshine Co-Op has become a magnet for nonstop robot attacks, possibly because I have Ada hanging out there?

I was pretty pumped when one of them dropped a set of sentry roller legs, less so when she couldn't fit through half the doorways in any building I visited after I slapped them on. Hoping the robo-brain treads I just got date a little better. The ridiculous nail gun arm is pretty baller, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Automatron was pretty decent. And I am seeing fewer settlement glitches now, for whatever reason. For a while drat near every time I left Abernathy everyone deassigned, and random settlements would show as having double their actual population, which made them sad since it outstripped their resources and beds (I've gotten into the habit of checking settlements on the map to make sure they don't show 50 or 60 people in them due to this glitch).

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Tuskin38 posted:

the new Survival mode is hard as hell.

The lack of anywhere saving is deadly.

I feel like this in combination with the stalker lighting mod and a few others will be atmospheric as gently caress

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
/
Its truly hilarious to turn codworth into a death dealing psycho while he still maintains his politeness.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

DAS Super! posted:

Its truly hilarious to turn codworth into a death dealing psycho while he still maintains his politeness.

I never even thought about trying to put pre-DLC robot followers on the robot workbench.

The quest was same ol' Bethesda stuff, but there's a LOT of fun to be had making robots.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
/
Anyone know if Robot can be sent on supply routes? If so I am making the common wealth full of my murderbots.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I haven't tried the DLC yet but I assigned a Mr. Handy from Greygarden to a supply route.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

DAS Super! posted:

Anyone know if Robot can be sent on supply routes? If so I am making the common wealth full of my murderbots.

Yes you can. It's glorious.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

DAS Super! posted:

robots can do anything normal settlers can, except run shops properly, but that is being fixed in 1.5.

Whats kind of funny, if you make a robot with Robobrain treads or sentry bot legs, if they are assigned to a guard post, they will shrink to fit in it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like how if you have a robot follower with Protectron legs, it uses the normally Protectron walking animation, but just speeds it up so they can keep up with you, and it ends up looking ridiculous.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Entropic posted:

I like how if you have a robot follower with Protectron legs, it uses the normally Protectron walking animation, but just speeds it up so they can keep up with you, and it ends up looking ridiculous.

yeah, I cracked up the first time I was at Easy City Downs and watched the protectron toddle out at hyperspeed when I switched on the extra 'bots

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
God drat, this would have been the perfect DLC to actually add bot-racing at Easy City Downs, but of course they didn't do that, right?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah, I cracked up the first time I was at Easy City Downs and watched the protectron toddle out at hyperspeed when I switched on the extra 'bots

Brahmin also speed up to keep up with supply routes, so if you have a robot with treads or sentry legs, they will sometimes go full speed and you just see this Brahmin running really fast behind them.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Unrelated but what's the status now of your trade route experiments? That was super interesting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

coffeecup posted:

Unrelated but what's the status now of your trade route experiments? That was super interesting.

:D Thanks! I have a small handful of videos and screenshots. I actually haven't played in a few weeks (politics taking up my time lol), so not much progress has been made... yet. I still have yet to start playing with Automatron, and now that I see we can send our robots out on routes HO HO HOOOOH BOY are these routes bout to get crazy as gently caress.

One thing I can say though: I now know why County Crossing is named that. It seems like a really lovely out of the way place that's right next to a bunch of things that want to kill your settlers--and it is--but it's also far and away the single busiest trade-route crossroads in the Commonwealth. Every single time I go there--fast travel or no--I'm guaranteed to find no fewer than 10 (usually 15-20) provisioners on the roads in & immediately around. It's pretty rad.

Oh, and someone asked about preferred routes provisioners take--By and large the rule seems to be that they follow roads for the most part. I've definitely been off the beaten path with them a few times but I don't know if that was planned behavior or *~Bethesda~*

edit: But I do have a plan. A really boring time-consuming plan. That I will follow through with because I'm a gigantic nerd and I can't leave anything unfinished or any question unanswered. But I'm seriously going to map out at least a couple dozen provisioner's routes--basically I'll just pick one, follow & note their route, then pick another.

edit2: OH YEAH one thing I've started switching up is I'm finding every provisioner that's equipped with frag grenades and swapping them out for Synth Relay grenades :getin:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 31, 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DAS Super! posted:

I want to stuff Curie back into her old robot body. Please tell me that's a possibility.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Oh, and someone asked about preferred routes provisioners take--By and large the rule seems to be that they follow roads for the most part. I've definitely been off the beaten path with them a few times but I don't know if that was planned behavior or *~Bethesda~*

edit: But I do have a plan. A really boring time-consuming plan. That I will follow through with because I'm a gigantic nerd and I can't leave anything unfinished or any question unanswered. But I'm seriously going to map out at least a couple dozen provisioner's routes--basically I'll just pick one, follow & note their route, then pick another.

edit2: OH YEAH one thing I've started switching up is I'm finding every provisioner that's equipped with frag grenades and swapping them out for Synth Relay grenades :getin:

You are doing good work here sir, you have our support! I have a suspicion that provisioners essentially follow roads as you have stated, but are "encountered" at random when you enter a zone. As in the zone will roll the random encounter dice to see if the provisioner gets spawned in the zone or not. I have definitely seen them in some really out of the way places, but near a road.

I never thought about the synth grenades. If they actually use them, it would be the single reason I would do an institute character.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lunatikfringe posted:

I never thought about the synth grenades. If they actually use them, it would be the single reason I would do an institute character.

They definitely use them, and they get infinite 'nades just like any other too

Man I bet giving out artillery grenades would get real insane real fast. But I'm afraid it would kill the provisioners really easily (or aggro every single faction across the map, if I handed out enough)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Try it with artillery grenades.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Man the new survival mode makes the game so much better. I wish it had been in at launch when I didn't know anything about the game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rasmussen posted:

Man the new survival mode makes the game so much better. I wish it had been in at launch when I didn't know anything about the game.

I can't imagine it being fun with zero knowledge of the game, honestly.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Had some mod hiccup were every Mr handy was invisible take up a few hours yesterday but I eventually got a new character up and running for a SCIENCE! Build for the dlc

Making robots is fun, though expensive so far, but I can't believe I can't have a heap of robots follow me at once. I want a robot army damnit!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
What does Science do for building robots? I want to make a new character for the DLC/Survival.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The glitch where the map shows double the actual amount of settlers in a town, with a corresponding hit to happiness, still seems to be occurring but a little less often. Yesterday I noticed that Covenant suddenly claimed to have 58 settlers and had already dropped a good 10 points of happiness. Now every time I fast travel I try to check a few settlements just to watch for the stupid glitch.

Prior to Automatron dropping it was happening more often, and I was hoping it was gone completely, but it does seem to still be a thing.

Also, been getting a little frustrated trying to find Gene to buy another junkyard dog and Kelly to buy a brahmin. Found Gene at least four times, but the first time was early on and I was too poor to buy a dog. It's kind of a pain that you can only send a dog to a settlement that isn't at max population, but now I have Boston Airport and the Mechanist Lair as holding tanks if need be. And I just need Kelly to send a brahmin to Starlight Drive-In - for some reason it has nor brahmin and none are showing up, even though I can see three wild brahmin spawn just outside the build area.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Robot Engineer, Science!, Gun Nut, Blacksmith, and Armorer all contribute to the available robot mods in their own way, very much like they do with power armor mods.

Science, iirc, nets you poo poo like gatling lasers... which are obscene and wonderful on a companion. Also, you can make all your supply routes populated by sentry bots that have gatling lasers, or miniguns, or missile launchers (or some combo thereof) along with back-mounted fat man launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't know exactly what an int character would add to it asides from robotics expert. I just wanna rp a mad scientist and fire pew pew lasers.

I don't have a labcoat yet though. Does anyone know a good place to knick one?

• Locked thread