Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I love both versions of Young Avengers, I cannot get enough of the title or the characters therein (other than Marvel Boy, but that's not YA's fault.) The first volume is incredible, the worst thing about it is that right as it was in the prime of it's momentum, Civil War murdered the book. But the cast and interactions therein are top notch, and most of the cast is still active in continuity (what has Patriot been up to recently? Anything?) which is good because Kate Bishop is the best and Billy and Teddy are the single best couple in the entire Marvel universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

How is the first of the Young Avengers books? I Noticed the trade came out recently, and was interested as I've only read the last series, but was curious how they all came together, also Patriot not being posssed and Cassie Lang on the team.

The Heinberg/Cheung one? I liked it when it was coming out but haven't read it since. It's pretty different from the Kieron Gillen series - I guess it's more of a conventional teen superhero team thing, sort of like what they're going for with Champions at the moment. It's a lot like the early (pre-Infinite Crisis) Geoff Johns Teen Titans series. That's what I'd compare it to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not a fan of the Gillen series, but I love the original run.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The first volume is the Legacy book, young heroes stepping in to fill a need for both themselves and the world. Volume 2 is a Gillen/McKelvie queer team battling metatext as part of Gillen's Loki narrative. I love it bunches but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Part of my enjoyment of the first series is that half the cast aren't who you expect them to be. Asgardian, Hulkling, and Iron Lad, all false advertising.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Part of my enjoyment of the first series is that half the cast aren't who you expect them to be. Asgardian, Hulkling, and Iron Lad, all false advertising.

Wow, spoilers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't there something up with Patriot that is preventing them from using him right now?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Isn't there something up with Patriot that is preventing them from using him right now?

I thought it was something with Isaiah Bradley and his rights, and since Eli is tied in they didn't use him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

I thought it was something with Isaiah Bradley and his rights, and since Eli is tied in they didn't use him.

That's probably what I'm thinking of but I don't recall specifically what is up with the details.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
So, I just finished the All-New X-Men annual and both stories end with someone going off to get treatment (and one is cured) for M-Pox; I thought the whole deal with this and the whole genesis of the Inhuman/X-Men conflict is that it's 100% deadly to mutants and Beast has been working on a cure? Did I miss something somewhere?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

rantmo posted:

I love both versions of Young Avengers, I cannot get enough of the title or the characters therein (other than Marvel Boy, but that's not YA's fault.) The first volume is incredible, the worst thing about it is that right as it was in the prime of it's momentum, Civil War murdered the book. But the cast and interactions therein are top notch, and most of the cast is still active in continuity (what has Patriot been up to recently? Anything?) which is good because Kate Bishop is the best and Billy and Teddy are the single best couple in the entire Marvel universe.

Marvel Boy was actually my favorite character of that run. It's no small thing to meld what Morrison and Bendis did with him into a coherent characterization, and the notion of him as a young person who'd reached the apex of his profession/calling early, hosed up/got hosed over, and continued plugging away at it because it's what he loves to do was pretty cool.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

So, I just finished the All-New X-Men annual and both stories end with someone going off to get treatment (and one is cured) for M-Pox; I thought the whole deal with this and the whole genesis of the Inhuman/X-Men conflict is that it's 100% deadly to mutants and Beast has been working on a cure? Did I miss something somewhere?

Nope, Marvel has yet to decide what M-Pox is or how it works or what the deal is at all. There are several competing diseases with the same name.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rantmo posted:

Nope, Marvel has yet to decide what M-Pox is or how it works or what the deal is at all. There are several competing diseases with the same name.

In IvsX I believe Beast (worst mutant ever) states that the M-Pox reacts/changes to each individual X-gene so they can't just find one cure since each mutant is different.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he does say that

they say in another book that since it works differently with each mutant, the results are also different. so they could straight up die, or they could get very sick, or just the sniffles, or absolutely nothing happens at all. well, except for being sterilized I guess. pretty sure that's still a thing with how terrigen works with mutants

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In IvsX I believe Beast (worst mutant ever) states that the M-Pox reacts/changes to each individual X-gene so they can't just find one cure since each mutant is different.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I didn't even connect the two issues, clearly.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's been her Ultimate in Marvel Heroes since she launched too.

well egg on my face then. To be fair, most of these are from the past six months and I'm on Unlimited time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I know a couple of posters have mentioned it before, but I wanted to add a voice to the chorus of people saying "Man, Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil was really really good."

The fact that she isn't often mentioned alongside Miller, Brubaker, and Bendis is just sad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I know a couple of posters have mentioned it before, but I wanted to add a voice to the chorus of people saying "Man, Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil was really really good."

The fact that she isn't often mentioned alongside Miller, Brubaker, and Bendis is just sad.

I've been one, though it probably helps that it was the run I started with when I was a kid. It's like why I didn't read any New Mutants for years because when I picked them up or was given them it was during the Bird Brain arc and that was just terrible. I didn't see Doug die but the drawings of Illyana having her donut stolen stayed with me for my entire life.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
IDW ROM sucks poo poo and I wish Marvel would just outright buy the rights back from HASBRO so we can get collected editions. I'm sure any new ROM books would be bad but it's so painful trying to hunt down back issues and read crumbling yellowed pages.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

funny way to spell posted:

IDW ROM sucks poo poo and I wish Marvel would just outright buy the rights back from HASBRO so we can get collected editions. I'm sure any new ROM books would be bad but it's so painful trying to hunt down back issues and read crumbling yellowed pages.

ROM is ok. But just ok isn't really enough for something people have been waiting on for years. It's also hurt by the fact that Micronauts and Action Man are way better in comparison and they all launched about the same time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I havent read ROM but I have read Micronauts and

quote:

Micronauts and Action Man are way better in comparison

:gonk:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Micronauts a lot. Maybe it's because I don't have fond memories of the original book because it's apparently not very much like that at all. Apparently the new book has more of a straight sci-fi bent to it that I've seen some fans of the old book not really liking as much.

Action Man on the other hand is a fantastic action spy type book and easily the best of the three. Unlike ROM and Micronauts I'd never even heard of Action Man before and thought by name alone it would be dumb. But I love it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 7, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to get the Action Man comic when I was little. I had a whole bunch of the action figures.

Have Dr X and/or Professor Gangrene been in the IDW comic yet? It will be interesting to see which version of X they go with if they use any of the various incarnations he's had (i.e. exposed brain and mohawk combo; mad scientist hell's angel; guy with goatee and turtleneck and a baseball bat; white Mr T with robot arm etc.).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I used to get the Action Man comic when I was little. I had a whole bunch of the action figures.

Have Dr X and/or Professor Gangrene been in the IDW comic yet? It will be interesting to see which version of X they go with if they use any of the various incarnations he's had (i.e. exposed brain and mohawk combo; mad scientist hell's angel; guy with goatee and turtleneck and a baseball bat; white Mr T with robot arm etc.).

Dr. X yes. But similar to Action Man (who dies like five pages into the first issue) he's killed and replaced by someone else. That's a whole mystery of the first arc though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Double posting, but this is actually Marvel related. Nova is so good! I somehow missed, or forgot, that Jeff Loveness was writing it. He wrote that great Groot series from last year. And Ramon Perez (All-New Hawkeye) is the artist so it looks fantastic as well. It's the only thing I'll get to read until my lunch hour, but I'm glad I did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Action Man the UK name for GI Joe?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yes, it was the same deal of doll you could dress up in a million and one cool outfits, from little rubber Scuba gear to mountain climbing to Russian greatcoats, etc. Then in the 90s they seemed to ditch all that and just went for straight 12" action figure stuff with each one in a different look ala Iron Man armours.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Action Man the UK name for GI Joe?

quote:

Action Man is an action figure launched in Britain in 1966 by Palitoy as a licensed copy of Hasbro's American "movable fighting man": G.I. Joe.

Eventually in the 90's they respun the brand as a singular hero with his own nemisii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbFVZChAbQ

There was also the extreme sports 3d cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NF8Pkbtz-Q

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 7, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2AKtpcRwYE&t=36s

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a trade I should read before Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 1 ("Believe It")? I feel like I've come into the middle of a story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Double posting, but this is actually Marvel related. Nova is so good! I somehow missed, or forgot, that Jeff Loveness was writing it. He wrote that great Groot series from last year. And Ramon Perez (All-New Hawkeye) is the artist so it looks fantastic as well. It's the only thing I'll get to read until my lunch hour, but I'm glad I did.

It really was!

Also holy gently caress the Clone Conspiracy guesses were right!

BEN FUCKIN REILLY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

Is there a trade I should read before Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 1 ("Believe It")? I feel like I've come into the middle of a story.

Not really. Gwenpool's story is just "My life got flipped upside-down and I live in comic book world."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Not really. Gwenpool's story is just "My life got flipped upside-down and I live in comic book world."

Oh. Okay. It didn't seem like the greatest introduction to the character for someone going in blind. (Also, I really don't like the artist who kicks things off, Gwenpool looks kinda skeevy. Thank god GuriHiru took over art duties.)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Nova's new series is off to a great start. I'm glad Sam finally has a good book again after what Champions ended up as.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

ImpAtom posted:

Plus in the few one-shots she appeared in before Chris Hastings took over the writing the character was basically 'wacky murderous anti-hero', so you'd likely get mild tonal whiplash going straight from the one to the other.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I realize Hastings was the writer for the one-shots too, so I guess he changed things up once he had a whole series to develop a character with?

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 7, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now she's a wacky murderous anti-hero who feels bad about it!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sentinel Red posted:

Yes, it was the same deal of doll you could dress up in a million and one cool outfits, from little rubber Scuba gear to mountain climbing to Russian greatcoats, etc. Then in the 90s they seemed to ditch all that and just went for straight 12" action figure stuff with each one in a different look ala Iron Man armours.

Is he the same thing as Captain Action? My dad told me about him when I was a kid at the same time I got the "Back in my day" talk about GI Joe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apraxin posted:

Plus in the few one-shots she appeared in before Chris Hastings took over the writing the character was basically 'wacky murderous anti-hero', so you'd likely get mild tonal whiplash going straight from the one to the other.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I realize Hastings was the writer for the one-shots too, so I guess he changed things up once he had a whole series to develop a character with?

At her inception she was "What if Gwen Stacey was also Deadpool" which is why they've moved away from that a bit. Can't let Fox get their claws into her!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Apraxin posted:

Well before her series, everyone seemed to view her as a one off joke who wouldn't last more than a couple months so they didn't really put any thought beyond "girl-Deadpool" into her early cameos.
I'm glad her own series went out of it's way to distance itself from that characterization pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's all this no digital issues of Cage bullshit

• Locked thread