Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
This game could really use a restart button

I've been hunting for the absolute perfect brazil start

IDK why they took it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

John F Bennett posted:

Regarding the AI missionary spam. I turned off religious victory and it seems that the AI simply doesn't try to convert you. They build a few missionaries but they don't actually do stuff.

Could be just a coincidence of course.

Coincidence, I think. I turned it off in my latest game and I definitely had a period where Zororastrians, Protestants, and Catholics were all waging holy war in my land to convert me while I rolled my eyes. Eventually the missionaries slowed to a trickle though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I was late to the party and didn't build a holy site until all the religions were founded. Now I have a bunch of faith points but I can't found a religion anymore. Is there anything I can do with the points or is it useless now?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

quadrophrenic posted:

This game could really use a restart button

I've been hunting for the absolute perfect brazil start

IDK why they took it out

No clue, especially since the community kicked and screamed until it was put back into V. You would have thought Firaxis would have remembered that.

It's even worse since unlike in V the game doesn't remember what you set everything to. It just defaults to random-standard turns-contient-prince-small. Which is also what "quick start" defaults too as well. At least in V "quick start" defaulted to what you had less, minus a few advanced settings.

VI is a better game than V (launch balance/bugs aside) with a worse UI.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Popete posted:

So I was late to the party and didn't build a holy site until all the religions were founded. Now I have a bunch of faith points but I can't found a religion anymore. Is there anything I can do with the points or is it useless now?
You can patronize great people.

Check the religions in your cities. If any of them have "buy with faith" bonuses (they almost certainly do), you can benefit from that.

Other than that, Naturalists are bought with faith.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Just lost a game because I got warrior rushed by Brazil, which would have been no problem to handle except it appears if you have a garrisoned unit and a unit occupies all the tiles around your city, any new units you build can't do anything and your garrisoned unit can't attack :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Ah, OK. I didn't realize I could see the details from the victory screen.

Oh, I didn't realize you were just looking at the general overview tab instead of the actual detail tab. But then, the overview tab isn't very good at showing any victory condition, really.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Man, I really gotta say my current Co-op campaign as Gorgo is the most fun I've had playing Civ. I'm in a great location, I'm constantly at war - already trounced Vicky leaving her with just London for her troubles. Destroyed Freddy's army when he got a bit uppity, and purged some Russian cities from my Southern border because he "got too close" (tm). Everyone hates me and it's made the game pretty interesting. I'm pumping out tons of wonders, I'm out pacing everyone in the game in culture by almost an entire era, just made a national park. I mean, this game has just had it all in it. It's been a blast.

Some bugs I found in this co-op game:
1. A player can declare war on another player even though they have never met via a joint war. It is impossible to make peace with this player until you meet them. I am also fairly certain that the war weariness amenity penalty still accumulates even though there is no way to sign a peace deal.
2. I have a 4 mountain, diamond shaped section of my territory, but apparently this can't be made into a national park? What's the catch here? That the naturalist needs at least one tile to not be a mountain so that they can get inside the diamond shape and use their ability. If so, cool, but that's not what the description of the national park says.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
America asked me for a Joint War against Spain, so I accepted. He denounced me the next turn for warmongering when that was my first war ever in 1900 AD.

I think I am gonna wait for a patch or two, that kind of swing is just totally ridiculous. The agendas should not make them bipolar.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
They aren't. Denouncing is a tool not a mood.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Really wish they would fix the crash bug whenever a trade route pops up at the start of your turn.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ice Fist posted:

2. I have a 4 mountain, diamond shaped section of my territory, but apparently this can't be made into a national park? What's the catch here? That the naturalist needs at least one tile to not be a mountain so that they can get inside the diamond shape and use their ability. If so, cool, but that's not what the description of the national park says.

I believe the naturalist's "create national park" action mentions that they need to physically be on one of the tiles.

By they way, if you have a ton of faith saved up, be on the lookout for the great person that gives every tile in your nation +2 appeal.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

They aren't. Denouncing is a tool not a mood.

The AI shouldn't denounce you for going to war against a common enemy, full stop, regardless of how badly people want to contort the meaning of denunciations. It sucks and I miss the triangle diplomacy from Civ 4.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Ojetor posted:

Yeah. I've never seen barbarians actually attack a city, they only attack units and pillage improvements as far as I can tell.

I lost a game when barbarians took over my capital one time.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

They denounced you for stupid poo poo in 4 as well and it weighed about as much there too. All it says is your latest action runs counter to this character's hidden number full stop. Contort the meaning, give me a break.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Are you seriously defending the AI denouncing you for doing what they asked you to do?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I swear Civilization is the only series where people make the earnest argument "this aspect of the franchise has been bad for 20 years so it's ok for it to still be bad now".

No, no it's not. That sucks dude. If it's been bad for a long time that is even more reason that it should have been fixed by now, not less.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think there is a lot of dumb stuff that's forgivable in civ games, but not distinguishing between joint wars isn't one of them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm sure it's a really easy and simple fix that we're just being denied because firaxis likes its playerbase to be frustrated. or something that someone with mod tools can mod out. right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

IcePhoenix posted:

I believe the naturalist's "create national park" action mentions that they need to physically be on one of the tiles.

By they way, if you have a ton of faith saved up, be on the lookout for the great person that gives every tile in your nation +2 appeal.

Wh...what kind of Great Person is that :stare:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I watched enough beta videos to have a good grasp on the janky UI, but the espionage interface is pure dogshit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Would you like to discuss what happens during a denounce or would you like to keep putting words in my mouth? Defending? Hardly. Saying it's ok? Not once.

Get over yourselves, this isn't a story book simulator. It's a set of rules written by people sitting at desks. Someone said the ai shouldn't shift lift that, they didn't shift. They just denounced you. That doesn't mean poo poo in the long game of diplomacy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Efexeye posted:

i'm sure it's a really easy and simple fix that we're just being denied because firaxis likes its playerbase to be frustrated. or something that someone with mod tools can mod out. right?

I know you're joshing but most of the issues people have with the game seem like relatively easy fixes and probably not huge structural errors. I think that's a good thing though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I know you're joshing but most of the issues people have with the game seem like relatively easy fixes and probably not huge structural errors. I think that's a good thing though.

'relatively easy' is a relative statement when people are complaining about things that have been standard parts of Civ for 25 years

roleplay it as 'you knocked your buddy's bong over while you were playing in between turns and now he's out to get you' if it makes you feel better :)

seriously, if it was easy, modders would have fixed it. Two iterations of the game have had basically full mod access and there's still not a decent AI so I dunno how it's 'easy' to write one

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Efexeye posted:

'relatively easy' is a relative statement when people are complaining about things that have been standard parts of Civ for 25 years

roleplay it as 'you knocked your buddy's bong over while you were playing in between turns and now he's out to get you' if it makes you feel better :)

seriously, if it was easy, modders would have fixed it. Two iterations of the game have had basically full mod access and there's still not a decent AI so I dunno how it's 'easy' to write one

The people above you were asking for an if-else check for joint wars dude, not HAL 9000

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

perhaps the AI is denouncing you to maintain relations with the other AI? I dunno

i'm not arguing that the AI is bad or the way it communicates with you is obscure because it is- i just don't think it's as easy a fix as most people seem to think it is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't remember, maybe a merchant?

e: it's an engineer from the information age, and it says +2 to any tile the city owns but after I used him my naturalist suddenly had a whole lot of spots to build parks all over my territory

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 26, 2016

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

perhaps the AI is denouncing you to maintain relations with the other AI? I dunno

The AI it declared a joint war on? What's more likely, that the AI is playing 4th dimensional chess, or it's just an oversight?

And no, Civ4's AI did most certainly not get pissy with you for fighting a joint war. In fact, you got a relationship boost from it. I believe this was the case in Civ 5 as well but I stopped paying attention to diplomacy in Civ 5 ages ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Oblivious posted:

If this is an actual Great Person and it stacks with Eiffel Tower that would be so good

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I stopped paying attention to diplomacy in Civ 5 ages ago.

Maybe getting rid of the Diplomacy win condition is a precursor towards getting rid of Diplomacy altogether

I know I compare the PC game to the board game a lot but there's no diplomacy in the board game, because it's a stupid and esoteric concept to try to integrate into a game played against other people who want to win

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh, I didn't realize you were just looking at the general overview tab instead of the actual detail tab. But then, the overview tab isn't very good at showing any victory condition, really.

I was just looking at the main UI, I just figured there would be a tooltip or that the Tourism number would be a button or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If this is an actual Great Person and it stacks with Eiffel Tower that would be so good

Oh actually I might have finished the Eiffel Tower at the same time and just didn't process the bonus because I was only building it out of boredom since that city had just been doing projects for the last century.

I did get the guy I mentioned though, and the civ wiki says it's +2 appeal to all tiles owned by a city.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

Maybe getting rid of the Diplomacy win condition is a precursor towards getting rid of Diplomacy altogether

RIP world congress expansion

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Efexeye posted:

i'm not arguing that the AI is bad or the way it communicates with you is obscure because it is- i just don't think it's as easy a fix as most people seem to think it is.

It's literally one if check on a IsJointWar bool field you put into the war class, you now have a differentiation between joint wars and non joint wars that can be checked when checking for a denounce. I thought we got past this yesterday Efexeye. Is a decent AI for Civ once again comparable to an Artificial General Intelligence that we're decades away from?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Diplo victory was always tough what with the schizo AI

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Is a decent AI for Civ once again comparable to an Artificial General Intelligence that we're decades away from?

Yep

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh actually I might have finished the Eiffel Tower at the same time and just didn't process the bonus because I was only building it out of boredom since that city had just been doing projects for the last century.

I did get the guy I mentioned though, and the civ wiki says it's +2 appeal to all tiles owned by a city.

Oh yeah, that's Alvar Aalto! I remember because he designed the university campus I went to and we have an entire different university named after him.

Stacks nicely with Eiffel Tower. Speaking of Eiffel, does it apply to all your tiles present and future or does it give a one-off bonus to your current tiles?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
With all the denouncing in my game, it still funny how pumped Greece (Gorgo) is with me. Like every county hates me after I attacked Kongo due to being too smart, but she is just happy as a clam.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just have been meh on diplomacy for all the recent Civ games because it's all roadblocks and no benefits. I remember in Civ 4 you could really get friendly with Civs especially if they were your religion, and they would really throw down for you in wars without getting confused and hating you the next turn.

Also before they patched it out, you could permanently ally with an AI, and it was really satisfying to see a huge chunk of the map turn your color solely through diplomacy.

Also bring back vassalage, I want client states!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Efexeye posted:

Diplo victory was always tough what with the schizo AI

Yep

You have no idea what AI is in this context is though I understand it can be difficult to see what's conceptually different between Skynet and the AI controlling a Mario enemy.

Civ 4 was making these decisions easily ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Palleon posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but this thread moves way too quickly to keep up:

I captured India's capital in my game, and then made them cede it to me in the peace deal. However, i can't realistically build anything, the city screen says I have 25 production per turn, but it will take me 20 turns to repair a library (60/80 production). It looks like I'm getting like 5% of the base production, and there's no obvious explanation as to why this is happening or how I can fix it. Are conquered cities supposed to be this crippled for the whole game?

Chucat posted:

Sullla got a bug sorta like this in his stream as well, his holy site got pillaged and it completely and utterly hosed up the production numbers when he tried to rebuild it and put a shrine there as well. It was displaying -85/20 and poo poo.

https://clips.twitch.tv/lcsullla/AdventurousNewtNoNoSpot
https://clips.twitch.tv/lcsullla/AggressiveCrabWholeWheat

I think this is probably happening because the UI isn't updating until you get to the next turn or save/reload. Although super unintuitive and weird, in the second video ChuCat posted the negative number actually seems correct as (88+65) / 9.4 = 16.28 or 17 turns. The cost of repairing a shrine could be much higher than the cost to build it in the first place so the game is taking the original shrine cost and factoring in the repair cost and getting to the 153 production number.

It's pretty funny that the UI handles this situation by also making the building progress bars negative, causing them to extend backwards out of their normal boundaries and cover up areas of the UI like the Turns Until Growth progress bar.