Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Any calculator is just a super rough guesstimate.
You won't get around it to track your weight and count your eaten calories accurately if you want to know what your maintenance really is.
Like, the above calculator is almost 700cals below my actual maintenance, and I'm someone that just works an office job but trains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah, Macrofactor is still the best tool I've found to reasonably calculate TDEE, but it still involves counting every calorie that goes in, and weighing yourself at the same time every day

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

webcams for christ posted:

yeah, Macrofactor is still the best tool I've found to reasonably calculate TDEE, but it still involves counting every calorie that goes in, and weighing yourself at the same time every day

Macrofactor is great because when I'm on a cut I'll put in like 200, 199.4, 199.6, 198.4, 198.9 and the trendline will be almost flat but then Saturday comes around and I eat a burger and weigh in at 203 the next day and the trendline immediately jumps up by like 5 pounds so that I feel bad and develop an eating disorder

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Macrofactor is great because when I'm on a cut I'll put in like 200, 199.4, 199.6, 198.4, 198.9 and the trendline will be almost flat but then Saturday comes around and I eat a burger and weigh in at 203 the next day and the trendline immediately jumps up by like 5 pounds so that I feel bad and develop an eating disorder

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

see the trick is to already have had an eating disorder and gone through years of outpatient ED counseling before you download the app. works like a charm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

developing an eating idsorder is the first step towards becoming a redscare listener

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

is there a manosphere fitness grindfluincer that is telling people that bar collars are for pussies or something? fully half the guys in my gym just never use them (and we have the nice ones!) and this morning someone completely ate poo poo on the squat rack and came extremely close to seriously hurting himself and his buddy. love this gym otherwise but they are not at all interested in having any of their staff watch out for any of this stuff or, apparently, say anything to the guys that do goof poo poo like this

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Aldi protein powder went up to $18 a can. goddamnit is nothing safe from Joeflation.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

is there a manosphere fitness grindfluincer that is telling people that bar collars are for pussies or something? fully half the guys in my gym just never use them (and we have the nice ones!) and this morning someone completely ate poo poo on the squat rack and came extremely close to seriously hurting himself and his buddy. love this gym otherwise but they are not at all interested in having any of their staff watch out for any of this stuff or, apparently, say anything to the guys that do goof poo poo like this

I didn't use bar collars until I had an embarrassing whoopsie where a guy grabbing a weight off of the cage I was using bumped into the bar while I was squatting tbh

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I kind of get it if they're those old busted spring squeezies but we've got the nice expensive lockjaws and no one uses them. just hope I'm not the one who finally sets gym policy when I get my poo poo destroyed because the guy next to me didn't take the extra ten seconds

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My squat is perfectly vertical with no uneven movement so I don't need them. :smugdog:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it is gay to use bar collars

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why is poo poo so fuckin' expensive. covid home gyms are over

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Aldi protein powder went up to $18 a can. goddamnit is nothing safe from Joeflation.

The meijer brand one is pretty good and I think it's around that price. I used to eat the plant based vanilla one. It tastes good mixed with soy milk and it's tolerable in tap water.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i bought some anabars based off a mike israetael youtube video and drat they are good, the zone perfect bars are good too

none of them are cheap tho just wanted to add to protein chat

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

ice spice told me if i eat oats my rear end will get bigger

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol according to wikipedia she was a volleyball player in college. but nobody wants to hear an rear end comes from squats

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i say swears online posted:

lol according to wikipedia she was a volleyball player in college. but nobody wants to hear an rear end comes from squats

Goons getting lifting advice from Mike metzer: :hmmyes:

Goons getting rear end advice from Ice Spice: :mad:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

jfc Landmine RDLs are brutal. I knew my left hip was weaker than my right but what the gently caress

looks like this is going to have to go into the rotation for a good while

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

is there a manosphere fitness grindfluincer that is telling people that bar collars are for pussies
absolutely yes

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

futzed around with the weight machines yesterday at the gym cuz the pool was closed and it is absolutely revolting how many dudes don't wipe them down after doing their weak lil sets and going on to the next one

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also im using my gfs school gym now (domestic partners get the staff rate, so its the cheapest place in town) and these hyper-elite nerd zoomers keep asking me for a spot. i know feeling flattered because someone needs a spot is the gym equivalent of thinking the stripper likes me, but here i am. just spotted a kid getting up two plates for the first time, and i am now unreasonably emotionally invested in their Fitness Journey.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:3:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
me irl when a 24-year-old pharmacy student ive said 10 words to ever hits a PR

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
One of the scariest moments I had at the gym was when this big guy asked me to spot his 5 plate bench. I think I was the only other person in the weight room at the time. Thank goodness he made it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A guy asked me to spot him on bench and I sweat directly into his face

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

futzed around with the weight machines yesterday at the gym cuz the pool was closed and it is absolutely revolting how many dudes don't wipe them down after doing their weak lil sets and going on to the next one

This reminds me of some W&W/YLLS goon in the "don't eat a carb" days that proudly posted about getting kicked out of a gym because they kept bleeding all over the place from grinding barbells into their shins while deadlifting and at one point I think they posted that they told a gym employee "I'm sorry that my swole juice is bothering you"

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

jfc Landmine RDLs are brutal. I knew my left hip was weaker than my right but what the gently caress

looks like this is going to have to go into the rotation for a good while

Were these single leg? I hadn't seen these before but might give them a go.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

net work error posted:

Were these single leg? I hadn't seen these before but might give them a go.

yeah, single-leg, perpendicular to the bar like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJse5Ds98k

but uh, way more wobbly and ungraceful

e: also not an endorsement of that youtube channel. doesn't seem horrible, but also not particularly good

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Sep 8, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

One of my road shoes got a big tear hole in the side after this morning's run and the other shoe is started to fray there too, lasted 333 miles. Not sure if I'll get the same kind (Altra Torin) or something new. Maybe it's time to try a carbon fiber plate.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

altras have trash durability nowadays

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I missed out on the Altra heyday, but I still really like them.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rauros posted:

altras have trash durability nowadays

yeah I was surprised by how hosed up the Torins got.

I have a pair of Lone Peak 4s that I retired earlier this year, close to 500 miles on em, but they're still in pretty good shape and I wear them casually and for yard work. Maybe trails are just easier on shoes.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i've been a superiors guy, but it's rocky where i live and after tempos my feet were hurting. i liked my first lone peaks, but the midsole wore out after 400 miles with a bit of tread left. i usually force a pair of superiors to 500, but they would have holes and no tread left, but i guess not much a midsole to go bad. i was using solstice's for road runs, but i put holes in the bottoms of my last pair in 170 miles!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never heard of a single one of these brands

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i've never heard of a single one of these brands

it's all one brand: Altra, and their various models

this summer I replaced my Brooks Beast shoes with Asics Kayano 30s and they're pretty comfy but probably won't be durable.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I replaced lone peaks with topo pursuit which is fairly similar but adds a bit more structure and a few mm of stack, I like em a lot. considered going the other direction with the superior or even merrell trail glove, the vapor glove is my favorite road shoe ever. probably next time.

the trend towards huge stack on trail shoes boggles my mind, feel like I would gently caress my ankles up and trip over everything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I use Superiors as everyday shoes. Love the fit. Not the ugliest, and everyone's wearing much uglier Hokas now anyway.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Greg Nuckols go on Cum Town The Adam Friedland Show The Adam Friedland Show Podcast Presents "The Jordan Jensen Show Podcast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hell yeah