Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

To my understanding the Falklands very much do not want to be a part of Argentina, I think it's like 95%+ in favour of being a UK territory.

Yes, the white english settlers living on the Falklands are in favour of the Falklands belonging to the UK. Probably 100% of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a more convincing argument than "it's near to us and we want its seabed stuff."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peggotty posted:

Yes, the white english settlers living on the Falklands are in favour of the Falklands belonging to the UK. Probably 100% of them.

The islands weren't inhabited until the europeans showed up as far as I'm aware, and settlements were fairly sporadic until 19th century dick wagging became relevant. So the only competing arguments you can make are either what the people living there want, and pretty borders. There's no native population of the islands to make a claim unless you count the penguins. In which case covering the entire thing in landmines would be an option.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

In which case covering the entire thing in landmines would be an option.

That sounds like a good option for most of the UK

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Peggotty posted:

I agree, return Thrace and Anatolia to Greece.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

That sounds like a good option for most of the UK

The seagulls are perfectly capable of holding their own against the other occupants of the british isles. And arguably without nearby targets they would only become more belligerent against france.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I agree, return Thrace and Anatolia to Greece.

Greece has a much better case than Argentina.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Yes, from NMI (US). More generally it's just a higher standard of living there compared to say Vanuatu.

famous home of "Made In USA" textiles

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's remarkable is how much Argentina has pumped up its own nationalism into its imperialist lust for a bit of territory it tried to conquer and got beaten bad on.

Anyways, maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iEamkj0C-8

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The islands weren't inhabited until the europeans showed up as far as I'm aware, and settlements were fairly sporadic until 19th century dick wagging became relevant. So the only competing arguments you can make are either what the people living there want, and pretty borders. There's no native population of the islands to make a claim unless you count the penguins. In which case covering the entire thing in landmines would be an option.

So if I go to England and start sitting on an uninhabited mountain, it belongs to me? It can't possibly belong to any European country, given that they don't have people living on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peggotty posted:

So if I go to England and start sitting on an uninhabited mountain, it belongs to me? It can't possibly belong to any European country, given that they don't have people living on it.

I mean, personally, yes I think you should be able to live wherever you like. Though most of the mountains are national parks so people might object if you start digging it up to put a house on it.

You find a bit that's just some lord's back garden or something yeah you're welcome to it.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Colonialism isn't about "living wherever you like", Jesus.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

If the mountain is an island and you've gone back in time before nation states existed, sure.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The first permanent settlement on the Falklands was dear beloved Port Louis and it was stolen by the english by their wacky forts. Before that there is archaeolgical evidence that thousands of years ago people saw them and went "lol no". All those people are dead. Acting like the Falklands are imperialism today is lmao. All the people and all the sheep want to be british.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Good thing the Europeans are in the clear because they started colonialism before there were nation states then. Phew!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

99% of everywhere that has had a union jack hoisted on it probably has people with a more legitimate claim and a mountain of bodies to hold the pole up.

The falklands are specifically fun because they're like the one bit of land on earth that everybody would assume shouldn't be part of the UK but you really struggle if you try to come up with a good argument as to why beyond making the colours on the map tidier. There's better arguments for cornwall not being part of the UK than the falklands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Peggotty posted:

Good thing the Europeans are in the clear because they started colonialism before there were nation states then. Phew!

there is a difference between colonization of people who exist and an empty rock, you do get that right?

This happened entirely because of an oops-we-accidentally-killed-everyone-and-then-deported-undesirables-into-the-convient-empty-land, for some reason I'm guessing a lot of people who think Las Malvinas son Argentinas also think this is fine for some reason, even though only one of them involved murder and colonization

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 10, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

I guess I don't really understand your argument. They should belong to Argentina because Argentina is the closest country, despite the population not wanting that? Should Barbados have been forced to join Venezuela? Is East Timor Indonesian?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

there is a difference between colonization of people who exist and an empty rock, you do get that right?

Of course. The Falklands are pretty much the least bad form of colonialism the British did. But that doesn't mean that white people should be allowed to go somewhere and claim land on the southern hemisphere because they think the world istheirs to divide up.

EasilyConfused posted:

I guess I don't really understand your argument. They should belong to Argentina because Argentina is the closest country, despite the population not wanting that? Should Barbados have been forced to join Venezuela? Is East Timor Indonesian?

No, my argument is that white European settlers shouldn't conquer land in the global south no matter who or what is already on it. Antarctica doesn't belong to white settlers either.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 10, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Argentine claim rests on the idea that the Spanish colonised the islands first and therefore it's theirs...

Legitimately unless you want to carpet bomb it there is no anti-colonialist claim because there are no native inhabitants.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

Of course. The Falklands are pretty much the least bad form of colonialism the British did. But that doesn't mean that white people should be allowed to go somewhere and claim land on the southern hemisphere because they think the world istheirs to divide up.

No, my argument is that white European settlers shouldn't conquer land in the global south no matter who or what is already on it. Antarctica doesn't belong to white settlers either.

I can't imagine anyone in this thread disagrees with any of that, just not sure why it leads to Argentina being the rightful owners of the Falklands.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peggotty posted:

How do you think Argentina itself came into existence? It's even more :ironicat: since its population is of overwhelmingly European descent. Most Argentines are effectively 'white settlers' themselves.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The "Spanish" themselves are white people who just sauntered in. Return Hispania to Greece.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, Argentina is the most proudly white and European of the Latin American nations, so they're very explicitly being creative about imagining inherited Spanish territorial claims to the Falklands from before Argentina existed as opposed to any kind of native claims.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't imagine anyone in this thread disagrees with any of that, just not sure why it leads to Argentina being the rightful owners of the Falklands.

I never said anything about Argentina being the rightful owner of anything

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Peggotty posted:

I never said anything about Argentina being the rightful owner of anything

That makes the last couple dozen posts pretty funny then if everybody was actually just agreeing with each other.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Peggotty posted:

Peggotty posted:

I agree, the land of Argentina should be returned to it's indigenous peoples, and all settlers removed.

Once that happens we can start talking about minor matters like the Falklands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really not sure what you want then other than for the people who live on the falklands to just disappear.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If we wanna do right by the original denizens of the Falklands (penguins), then we should introduce them into the arctic to refill the ecological niche that the Great Auk, the original penguin, had before they were exterminated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7cWtICGgHE

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Peggotty posted:

What argument exactly? Why shouldn't people living on a rock in the ocean have any right to land that no one else has ever lived on just because they're white and in the southern hemisphere? Would it be okay in the northern hemisphere?

I always assumed the "global south" was a useful concept because it referred to people in the global south, not just geography.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No place should be part of the UK. Bring back the Heptarchy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why does Mercia, the largest kingdom, not simply eat the other kingdoms?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

FreudianSlippers posted:

No place should be part of the UK. Bring back the Heptarchy.

I just realized this second why A Song of Ice and Fire has Seven Kingdoms. :doh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

has anyone tried to get a poulation of penguins going in the Arctic?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didn't know polar bears posted on SA.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who cares about stupid nerd poo poo like justice or rightful claims, return las islas malvinas to Argentina because it would make the English hopping mad

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

steinrokkan posted:

Who cares about stupid nerd poo poo like justice or rightful claims, return las islas malvinas to Argentina because it would make the English hopping mad

Ok, I'm onboard now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Gott strafe England.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One thing about the Falklands is that there are stringent immigration controls, to make sure it stays white English to preserve local communities.

OTOH there isn't much of a point to the Argentine claim either, beyond distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

this is the best argument in this entire discussion.