Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

I just bought a 2009 Bonneville with 1200 miles on it, and I noticed from the service log that the PO never got the 500 mile maintenance stamp. I know I could probably do it all myself pretty easily (it's really just changing the oil, lubing the drive chain, and checking a bunch of stuff), but I'd be worried about not having service logs affecting the resale value if I ever decide to get a different bike. Do people care about that as much with motorcycles as they do with cars? The shop I go to wants $250 for it, which is kind of ridiculous.

Frankly I'm amazed if the previous owner of a bike has any paperwork at all, including the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm pretty sure that maintenance stamps are a thing of the past. Everything is electronic now. Ask Marv Hushman about his Harley maintenance shop experience. ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tire question: I thought about trying Pirelli Sport Demons next time around, but I can't get them in the exact size I need so I thought about going up one size in width as the internet says is ok.

So my usual front size is 100/90. If I go 110/90 that makes the tire 99 mm tall instead of 90 mm. But if I go 110/80 it's 88 mm tall which is much closer to original. Would that be better?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Ola posted:

Tire question: I thought about trying Pirelli Sport Demons next time around, but I can't get them in the exact size I need so I thought about going up one size in width as the internet says is ok.

So my usual front size is 100/90. If I go 110/90 that makes the tire 99 mm tall instead of 90 mm. But if I go 110/80 it's 88 mm tall which is much closer to original. Would that be better?

What's the tire diamenter ? 17" ?

Even without answer, i'll say i would go with the 110/80, they'll be closer to what you have now...

My question, more on the theory size :

Is it insane to think that back shocks could be mounted upside-down ? Something tells me that "no, of course you can't", but i can't really think of any reason a shock wouldn't work upside-down just as well as it does right-side up.

Can someone please tell me this is a really really bad idea ? :ohdear:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If it's a single rate spring it would I guess, but why do you want to mount them upside down?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I have a 6 volt battery question.

Right now I'm at about 1 1/2 years into my motorcycle battery. I ride 5 days a week every week, 10 minutes on the road twice a day. I'm worried that the battery is going die on me unexpectedly near the end of the year. To avoid wasting lots of money on a taxi to get to and from work and then to a battery store, I would like to store a brand new battery.

How long can I store a brand new 6v motorcycle in ideal conditions without it losing charge? Is this method even feasible? I just want to be able to plop in the new battery when the old one dies.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

You need to put the new battery on a battery tender if the acid is already in it, and don't leave it on a concrete surface (put it on a block of wood if it's in the garage). If it needs acid added, just leave it be and add the acid when you need to use the battery. A new battery will lose charge over the course of maybe a month or two if it's not getting charged at all.

Also, 1.5 years isn't too long for a motorcycle battery so I wouldn't be too paranoid. If you're really concerned, you can always test the battery's voltage at idle and when the bike is revving to make sure it's holding around 6 at idle and higher when the bike should be charging it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

You need to put the new battery on a battery tender if the acid is already in it, and don't leave it on a concrete surface (put it on a block of wood if it's in the garage). If it needs acid added, just leave it be and add the acid when you need to use the battery. A new battery will lose charge over the course of maybe a month or two if it's not getting charged at all.

Also, 1.5 years isn't too long for a motorcycle battery so I wouldn't be too paranoid. If you're really concerned, you can always test the battery's voltage at idle and when the bike is revving to make sure it's holding around 6 at idle and higher when the bike should be charging it.

There's nothing that will cause problems with storing a battery on a concrete floor. The whole battery on the floor causing it to drain is an old wives' tale.

There's no reason that mounting a shock upsidedown wouldn't work, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

And now for my question: what would cause a bike to be hypersensitive to wind? What I mean is, my bike runs fine at lower speeds, accelerates fine through the first few gears, but once it gets going about 60 or more, wind blasts noticeably make the engine stumble and once I get going around 100 it starts to REALLY lose steam. The bike is a CBR F2 and is also jetted slightly rich at the moment (was jetted for a D&D exhaust and I have the stock back on), but I don't think fuel mixture is 100% to blame here, mostly because it runs well at lower speeds. I can run it straight through second gear, which tops out around 60 or 70, with no problems. On windy days the bike runs noticeably slower on the highway and will surge and sputter a lot the faster I go.

Intake leak? Jetting? Something else? It's completely naked now so I doubt it's all the drag I'm creating, heh. It shows none of the typical signs of an intake leak.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It could be leaning out if you've created a ram air effect by removing the covers over the air intakes...higher pressure in the airbox means less fuel because of the pressure differential between the float bowls and the intake. It seems to match the problems you'd get in the ram air systems in the kawasakis (although not as severe) if you disconnected the tube that pressurized the carbs.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Interesting idea, that sounds like a possibility. My airbox has two intakes that curve down facing the engine and they don't have covers on them whatsoever - they're just hollow tubes that feed straight to the air filter.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ijii posted:

How long can I store a brand new 6v motorcycle in ideal conditions without it losing charge? Is this method even feasible? I just want to be able to plop in the new battery when the old one dies.

You can buy a new battery dry and add acid when you need it. A couple of hours charging, and you're ready to go. You can store a dry battery for at least a couple of lifetimes.

What motorcycle use 6V batteries these days? Just curious.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 16, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Primo Itch posted:

My question, more on the theory size :

Is it insane to think that back shocks could be mounted upside-down ? Something tells me that "no, of course you can't", but i can't really think of any reason a shock wouldn't work upside-down just as well as it does right-side up.

Can someone please tell me this is a really really bad idea ? :ohdear:
It depends on the shock type, without getting too involved. Reasons would be better clearance if you're doing something custom.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

BlackMK4 posted:

It depends on the shock type, without getting too involved. Reasons would be better clearance if you're doing something custom.

Mounting shocks upside down is generally a bad idea unless they are designed for it. It's likely to gently caress the float through the valving in them and change their properties. You can usually do this with mono-tube shocks without too much trouble though, but never, ever try it with dual-tube shocks.

The reason people do this, or at least the reason I've been provided, is to "reduce unsprung mass". That's of cause utter bullshit.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 16, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

There's nothing that will cause problems with storing a battery on a concrete floor. The whole battery on the floor causing it to drain is an old wives' tale.
Not quite an old wives' tale - it's just obsolete advice.
http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Interstate Batteries posted:

Well, here we are within months of the new Millennium, and I’m writing an article about an age old question ..."Will a battery be damaged or mysteriously discharged by allowing it to sit on concrete?" At least once a month, someone calls and asks this question or asks for clarification on the subject.

Fact or Fiction
Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete? NO!
Why then do so many people believe that concrete is a battery enemy? Years ago, batteries could have been electrically discharged by sitting on a concrete floor. My dad, for instance, owned an automotive shop for many years. In fact, I grew up on a creeper. My dad reminded me time after time, "Set that battery on wood! I know batteries discharge on concrete because I’ve witnessed it!" And he was right at that time.

Historical Basis
You see, the myth that concrete drains batteries does have some historical basis. Many, many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.

Today’s Technology
For more than a decade, automotive and commercial battery containers have been made of polypropylene, which is a highly insulative material. In fact, the Interstate Batteries poly material is at least five times more insulative than the old hard rubber. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the posts and the vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration.

Battery Discharging
The fact is, all batteries self- discharge whether they’re sitting on the shelf or on concrete. This is why we regularly rotate your inventory. As the temperature increases, a battery’s self-discharge level also increases. Some lead acid batteries discharge 4% - 8% per month at a temperature of 80°F. The level of self-discharge is also contingent upon the type of lead plate alloy plus the age and cleanliness of the battery.

If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime, which is electrically conductive, it self-discharges more rapidly. This surface layer may actually allow you to measure the DC voltage across the battery’s poly case (using a 10 meg-ohm digital voltmeter). For that reason, we recommend that you always keep batteries clean, whether they’re in storage or in a vehicle.

Grandfather Clause
You may now be thinking that you know more than your grandfather, who tells you that batteries stored on concrete will be damaged. Next time your grandfather says that, I recommend that you just say "Okay" and continue about your business. I’m a grand-father now, and I know that we like to have our way and we like to be right. If my grandson, for instance, tries to tell me that concrete won’t damage a battery, you know what I’ll say? I’ll say if you drop a battery on concrete, it will be damaged.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
The reason i'd do it is because the serow has a gently caress-off weird frame design where the shock is fixed to the frame, so i don't have any space to put a good shock there (ie a modern fully regulable one with a external gas cartridge). The only way i'd have enough space is with the shock upside-down.

Maybe someone knows a relatively modern (let's say 00-now) offroad bike with a remote gas cartridge ? All i can find have it welded to the top of the shock...

Something like this that isn't 30 years old.

quote:

Intake leak? Jetting? Something else? It's completely naked now so I doubt it's all the drag I'm creating, heh. It shows none of the typical signs of an intake leak.

What z3n said.

I've had something like that happen to me because i forgot to put the float bowel air breather hose back on, so the passing air on the side of the carb would make a small vacuum effect that stopped gas from going up at higher speeds. Do you have all your carb hoses in place ?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

The reason i'd do it is because the serow has a gently caress-off weird frame design where the shock is fixed to the frame, so i don't have any space to put a good shock there (ie a modern fully regulable one with a external gas cartridge).

Old trials bikes (and possibly some MX models) used to run shocks with the rod uppermost. You can still buy trials shocks designed this way - check out Betor and NJB.

But this was twinshocks - I doubt you will find a monoshock like this, although it may be worth looking.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Primo Itch posted:

Something like this that isn't 30 years old.

Elka

If that doesn't work, Marzocchi makes something that'll fit.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
From the "Is that a real poncho, or a Sears poncho?" Dept:

Check out Wal-Mart's new modest, yet dedicated moto accessories section. Not too shabby, given that previously all you've ever been able to get there is an eagle-themed license plate and MAYBE an oil filter. While it is a gauntlet-free zone, I did pick up a pair of gloves. I'd classify them as demi-gauntlets, but it's my first pair with padded palms.

I'm less impressed by the product line than I am with being part of a consumer group that is now somewhere between scrapbookers and gun nuts on the shelf-worthiness spectrum.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Marv Hushman posted:

I'm less impressed by the product line than I am with being part of a consumer group that is now somewhere between scrapbookers and gun nuts on the shelf-worthiness spectrum.

How many boxes of .22lr did you honestly pick up with those new gloves?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Blaster of Justice posted:

How many boxes of .22lr did you honestly pick up with those new gloves?

Ammo shortage hoarding still in effect 'round these parts, less'n yer name's Jedediah and yer hunting bison. I did, however, find some fantastic lace borders to put around all my recent road trip photos...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
A buddy of mine has just bought a new Bonne SE (don't ask me why it's not a used one). I think we have some Bonne owners and ex Bonne owners - any recommendations for the best mods (the dealership is doing the air injection removal thing for him and it's coming with a screen and rack.)? Good rubber?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

A buddy of mine has just bought a new Bonne SE (don't ask me why it's not a used one). I think we have some Bonne owners and ex Bonne owners - any recommendations for the best mods (the dealership is doing the air injection removal thing for him and it's coming with a screen and rack.)? Good rubber?

British Customs Predator exhausts? http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-bonneville-predator-exhaust-polished.html

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saga posted:

Go here: http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-bonneville-t100/, spend lots of money.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've got a 2009, and the two big things I can't stand are the non-locking gas cap, and the mirrors. I've already replaced the gas cap with a locking one, and am seriously considering replacing the mirrors. The stock mirrors are flat (not convex) and so are pretty much useless for seeing anything but your elbows.

My bike also came with a flyscreen, which seems to work well.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Would throttle body sync and/or valve clearances being out cause an increase in fuel comsumption/running rich?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It pays off to constantly fiddle with your bike.

Turns out my headlight was about to explode in a ball of fire.

Looks like the ground wire had corroded and nice little arc went to town on my lamp connector. I think I have one lying around somewhere from the bikini fairing headlight, but does anyone know a different, better way to connect to the lamp?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Would throttle body sync and/or valve clearances being out cause an increase in fuel comsumption/running rich?

I'm not so sure. If those are the only symptoms then I would say no. Throttle bodies out of sync = increased vibes, stumbling. Valve clearances too big = reduction in power, stumbling. Too small = all kinds of badness, backfiring through both ends.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll try to attack this serious question from a scientific point of view. Yes, I guess maladjusted carburetors might influence your fuel consumption a tiny bit. Valve clearance? Well, if they're shut close you'll consume very low amounts of precious fuel.

Ola posted:

Looks like the ground wire had corroded and nice little arc went to town on my lamp connector. I think I have one lying around somewhere from the bikini fairing headlight, but does anyone know a different, better way to connect to the lamp?

Looks like a typical H4 overheating to me. You touched the bulb with your greasy Norwegian fingers when you installed it, didn't you?

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 18, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

2ndclasscitizen posted:

My GS500 was getting 59mpg pretty consistently, then one day when filling it up it got under 50mpg, I thought it was just a one time deal but it was consistently getting under 50mpg at that point. I then had my clearances checked, found an exhaust valve that was basically stuck open all the time, so we replaced the shim and did a carb sync and the bike has been running great and is getting 59mpg again.

Short answer: yes they can affect gas mileage from personal experience.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blaster of Justice posted:

Looks like a typical H4 overheating to me. You touched the bulb with your greasy Norwegian fingers when you installed it, didn't you?

I have now, but not before. The bulb was shining perfectly, glass contamination has one failure mode: shattered bulb due to uneven thermal capacity. The ground wire is green with copper corrosion (which could also be due to heat, I admit) and the other wires are mint.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looks more like resistance built up and it was slowly destroying the connector.

I mean, yes, your headlight would have exploded in a huge ball of flame, likely taking a scenic fjord with it. Well caught, sir.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

I have now, but not before. The bulb was shining perfectly, glass contamination has one failure mode: shattered bulb due to uneven thermal capacity. The ground wire is green with copper corrosion (which could also be due to heat, I admit) and the other wires are mint.

Well, sounds like a bad socket then. I usually scrap my head bulb SUCKets and simply solder the wires to the bulb and protect it with "Krympeflex". Don't know what it's called in 'Merican, but here: http://www.elektronik-lavpris.dk/index.php?cPath=4249

Edit: Shrink Tubing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Heat shrink tubing/wrap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have the stuff needed, so will do that now. Only problem is the only bulb I have at hand is a 60/100W and the old one was 55/60W. Possibly another ball of flame, but hey - brighter light!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

I have the stuff needed, so will do that now. Only problem is the only bulb I have at hand is a 60/100W and the old one was 55/60W. Possibly another ball of flame, but hey - brighter light!

Shouldn't be a serious problem. The cooling of your GS headlight isn't designed to cope with the heat of 100W, but it'll most probably only cause more bulb replacements. I run 60/100 in my 1978 GT750 designed for 55/60. Last time I replaced a bulb was 3 years ago, so no worries.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got my wattage wrong, it's 100/80W. Puts out plenty of heat but not more than you can touch (that is, touch the glass cover or the back side) comfortably. Also, the headlight is not Suzuki OEM but aftermarket from aztec8.com. Getting pretty fed up with it, will probably replace it if I come across a reasonably priced, nice looking one.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
New V-Strom 650 woop woop!

So basically I ordered a bazillion pieces of luggage for it and will be taking off on a trip while still in the break in period. The bike is at 120 miles and I changed out the oil.

Does anybody have any advice for changing oil on the road without taking it to a shop? It was deliciously easy to change the oil and filter, but on the road I won't have an oil catch, etc.

The dealer also didn't have a manual on hand. Do I need to get the 600 mile service done with Suzuki to keep the warranty?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

RichBomb posted:

New V-Strom 650 woop woop!

The dealer also didn't have a manual on hand. Do I need to get the 600 mile service done with Suzuki to keep the warranty?

DL 650 manuals here: http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've got a 2009, and the two big things I can't stand are the non-locking gas cap, and the mirrors. I've already replaced the gas cap with a locking one, and am seriously considering replacing the mirrors. The stock mirrors are flat (not convex) and so are pretty much useless for seeing anything but your elbows.

My bike also came with a flyscreen, which seems to work well.

Thanks guys, think he knows about the British customs products - he has mentioned them. Just not sure what's the best bang for the buck. Any thorts?

SM, he's got the flyscreen thrown in which sounds good. Can you get locking caps from Triumph? Are there special aftermarket mirrors for the bonne that can help, or are we just talking pick-a-generic-chinese-mirror type replacements?

e: that site is full of advice for Bonne owners terrified that their headers will go blue. This is so depressing, I just want to cry. :cry:

2ndclasscitizen, if carby, badly worn emulsion tubes can cause these symptoms as well. Drop in economy, rich and eventually fouls its plugs. Certain models of Mikuni CV are known for it.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 19, 2010