Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Galarox posted:

Another eg of goons dictating the narative is the instabans on anything related to (a) Stimpire and (b) Commando
edited to add and (c) parp

Wait! They're banning for "commando" ? Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AugmentedVision posted:

Sci fi spaceship comparison charts are a pretty retarded thign
They're an easy way to give people a sense of scale, since most people have seen a passenger jet, but I don't know many who've seen a Federal battlecruiser.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry I made this threads color lime.

Skelkit Beamlet is my solar plebian screen name.

paaarp.

I bet there is no 10ftc next week either. From now on it'll probably be 10ft who is ever closest to the office that day.

edit : carebear is instaban word too!!!1!!!!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

tooterfish posted:

They're an easy way to give people a sense of scale, since most people have seen a passenger jet, but I don't know many who've seen a Federal battlecruiser.

imaginary scale that means nothing and can be arbitrarily large

you just draw a spaceship and then say "it's 20 million miles long" and people go whoa, it's the laziest way to make an interesting spaceship

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nvm hosed up a grep option.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 23, 2016

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4-4zkQRdfk

I'd rather fund this crazy guy.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

just read the forums if you want crazy for free

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Wait! They're banning for "commando" ? Seriously?

In a game that will include FPS elements. Should make it easy to get people banned. "I'd like to play as some sort of elite light infantryman. Is there a word to describe that?"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

In a game that will include FPS elements. Should make it easy to get people banned. "I'd like to play as some sort of elite light infantryman. Is there a word to describe that?"
Voltigeur?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsA8rglWoEU

here's 10 for the developers in case you are out of ambien

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Kirk Tome and Darian Vorlick answer 10 questions from our development subscribers. But why only 8 timestamps...

00:46 - Technology of Xi'An Scout
06:19 - Alien Manufacturers
09:36 - Component System
19:58 - Knowledge of Producers
24:05 - Sizing Components
31:25 - Pressure with Patch Releases
38:48 - Coordinating Feature Releases
41:11 - Ship Size Affecting Planet Landing

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Kirk Tome and Darian Vorlick answer 10 questions from our development subscribers. But why only 8 timestamps...

The last two didn't make the cutoff date, duh

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Wow they've outdone themselves selecting really boring questions

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Whereas the term autism chariots is hilarious, I can't help but feel like "autism" has become the equivalent of calling someone/something "gay" in the 90's. Though that autism spectrum sure does make it easy. So carry on.

:five:

alternatively: captain b'tak??

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

a whole 16 players can stand in an awkard pose on that ship before falling through the bottom of it

makes u think

This is Elite, not Star Citizen, please.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
oh hey here's something v cool and good: the Xi'ian scout which was sold as a 2 seater has been slashed to a single seat. hope that wasn't important to you when you bought it for $150 lol.

did we mention no refunds?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

grimcreaper posted:

loving hell thats amazing... poo poo like this is what i expected of Star Citizen early on.

The sounds of those ships jumping and the storm clouds as it pops out of hyper space. That poo poo gets me pumped but the gameplay is so "Ehhh, sucks" that i just cant bring myself to play it.
Yeah it's my belief that Braben and the Frontier devs, having built this wondrous engine and simulator, are now engaged in the tough business of scrutinizing its failings.

The Looting / Crafting mechanics have potential. If they take their cue from Borderlands and Diablo, and inject the novelty of rare/super rare/legendary items into the game (scattered in wreckage on planets or in space), that could radically change the nature of the grind. (At least for me.)

Luck-- the hope that hours or days of exploration just might lead to a once-in-a-blue-moon discovery-- is sorely missing from the game. With the exception of discovering an earth like planet or black hole, there are no such joys to be found. Yet you can not pick up a planet and augment your gameplay. It will not turn a middling ship into a force to be reckoned with in combat, or otherwise make your ship SPECIAL.

Elite needs moments like this, randomized good luck discoveries that mask the grind behind the addictive lure of slot machine arm pulls. They need to be more than cosmetic-- it can't just be "wow I have rainbow pulse lasers now everybody dance!" But they don't have to be limited to weapons. Loot tech that gave a Cobra a serious bump in maneuverability, or gave an Imperial Clipper a massive boost in jump distance, could be equally interesting. I would spend a crapton more time exploring if there was a chance the reward might actually give me a better gameplay experience. I suspect a lot of players are like this.

Loot drops are just one example of a way that Elite could really change the game for the better. Of course, they might not be going in this direction at all, but that's my hope, even recognizing how much it might upset the current balancing... The game needs surprise-- emergent surprise, not 'download the latest patch and then you'll find barnacles on Merope' type stuff.

Sorry to ramble. I've got my fingers crossed because I, like you, wish they would give me more reasons to go back, more often.

Dusty Lens posted:

Gorf and AP have made many good posts with good points and I treasure their contributions.
Danke!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Berious posted:

For ED immersion fans I discovered this today

http://www.edtracker.co.uk/products/pro

It's like trackIR except 1/3rd of the price for the premade one and much less for the DIY one. Uses accelerometers instead of ir sensors. Only tracks 3dof but for some cheap immersion it looks pretty cool.

No idea how it performs but I'm going to read some more and maybe try it.

e: the tracking works with any game that supports head tracking, not just ED

I made one of these, they work ok. The cool thing I did do though was jury rig it to a set of MYVU Video goggles (rip MYVU) to make a crude, but semi working homebrew VR headset. The ~*fidelity*~ wasn't great, but it was cool all the same.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

oh hey here's something v cool and good: the Xi'ian scout which was sold as a 2 seater has been slashed to a single seat. hope that wasn't important to you when you bought it for $150 lol.

it's like when people used to list and sell pictures of game console as actual game consoles

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

presumably someone at CIG has realised that it's basically project suicide having chris involved in any facet of the development and are trying to wheedle him offstage as quickly as possible

either that or he's in tahiti

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:yarg: :siren: BEN LESNICK MEMORIAL WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE :siren: :gary:

Pages behind at this point, but sure. I have been losing weight since the year began. It was just time to do so. Lesnick isn't the reason, though he is an excellent visual reminder of just how easy it can be to let yourself go; an old friend passing away from a heart attack a few weeks back is more motivation but still, it has to come from within.

5' 10". Started around 263 or 264 pounds; currently down to 248.6. Aiming for 200 or below by 2017.

Regardless of how Lesnick's attitude or role in fleecing gullible people might affect how much sympathy anyone has for him, it's just plain that nobody should be doing that to themselves. Hell, I put on appreciable weight at my last job due to stress; I can only imagine what CIG would do to anyone in his shoes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

waiting for the citizens to defend this decision

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's an alpha

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

predicting reddit blames goons

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

there's nothing to defend, this was the plan all along, this is the most open game development in history so just be grateful that they're telling us anything

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/473t4g/khartual_now_a_single_seater_didnt_we_pay_for_a/

ahahhaa look at that first sentence. just look at it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The guy in the red is blinking morse code throughout.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hahahah

I can't even tell what posts in that thread are trolls and which are from legit retards. :psyduck:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This happens every year. CIG goes all out with content (and hilarity) during the November/December timeframe, and then magically when the new year happens there is nothing to talk about for months. When that happens the thread inevitably descends into badposting and talking about stupid poo poo... like how lovely the thread is.

People make fun of Ben because he's an easy target. I don't like it (and personally I try to avoid it), but he is the face of CIG and what little content we do have typically involves him to some extent. We could make fun of him for being a liar or a sycophant, but all of that ground is well tread. We could make fun of Dolvak for being a spineless coward, but that has run its course as well. We could make fun of Sandi being a callous narcissist who thrives on the misery of others, but there's only so many times you can be astounded at how truly terrible a person is before you lose interest. We could be making fun of Star Citizen but what's the point? Goons thrive on novelty and at this point Ben struggling to get off a couch and Dolvak running with his tail between his legs is the closest thing we have to something new. Nothing is going to change unless CIG reveals something new and interesting.

As for helping the "perception of this thread" who the gently caress cares? We're Goons, we're horrible people, and frankly giving a poo poo about what a bench of self-entitled spaceship addicts thinks of us is a terrible idea.

I'm hoping Solar Plebeian can take up the slack in the dry times, but I'm having trouble merging the FPS portion I paid redacted to work on into the giant shitmess I made cause I was drunk coding and decided 64 bit was a must-have.

But everything is fine, my German friend is fixin' it up for me. I'll provide weekly updates starting

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

X-Wing had star destroyers bigger than that in 1842.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsA8rglWoEU&t=1200s

Communication is key

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Now backers just need to imagine this happening to all the remaining promised features and everything will be fine.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

I'm hoping Solar Plebeian can take up the slack in the dry times, but I'm having trouble merging the FPS portion I paid redacted to work on into the giant shitmess I made cause I was drunk coding and decided 64 bit was a must-have.

But everything is fine, my German friend is fixin' it up for me. I'll provide weekly updates starting

Will I be able to play as a bird and try to avoid spaceships

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Can big ships land on planets?:

"We are discussing that now."

Will be interesting to see how this game develops once they move on from these initial planning stages.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm trying to fit in

How am I doing?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

4 years into game development of space game- "can big ships land on planets"?

"hmmmmmmmmm never thought about it"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The balls chris has and the community isn't bothered by it.

They haven't released one thing that was complete with the promised features yet, oh right, it's alpha excuse.

This game.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

fuctifino posted:

I'm trying to fit in

How am I doing?

I think you understand game development very well friend

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

4 years into game development of space game- "can big ships land on planets"?

"hmmmmmmmmm never thought about it"

But will they figure it out before or after jump points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toysrme
Nov 22, 2015
Dolvak stepped down on the subreddit. Having spoken with him privately before; he had no issues talking about the negative aspects of Star Citizen. Unlike most (anyone running any type of public group in SC); He also has called CIG out several times in the past for loving some things up. He just never did it regularly like others in less visible community positions had.

At least at one point in recent months, INN was tossing around the idea of doing an exposé involving CIG's biased moderation staff with people that have run across them; attempted silencing of opinions / people they dislike & making up non-existent rules on the spot to do so. Patrik-CIG (former lead moderator of CIG's forum/chat) sat down on his job for 3 months riding the clock and is now is gone...

Either way, Dolvak was better than whoever will replace him.

• Locked thread