Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Medullah posted:

I agree completely about him being shoehorned into the island. I groaned when I saw the blonde hair. I was hoping he'd end up strolling into the city because he sensed Sarah's revival, and after the mandatory hero vs hero fight he'd help restore her soul. Instead we got Deus Ex Constantina. But I got another episode of Hellblazer so I'm happy.

Constantine should have been Oliver's dealer in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

greatn posted:

Archie is supposed to be about modern teens and always has supposed to have been about that, so good.

You've never read an Archie comic in your life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Constantine should have been Oliver's dealer in high school.

Oh my god, that would have been perfect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

You've never read an Archie comic in your life.

Maybe it was a weird joke?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Great, now Daredevil's beating up junkie squatters. My hero.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't remember that? But honestly I don't remember much about the series except a vague "That was fun, hope they don't go darker though." feeling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was the guy who stabbed the nice old lady.

It's just this weird vibe the show has, where everyone keeps making allegories about standing up for the downtrodden against the powerful, but DD himself spends most of the show maiming low level enforcers who look like they only shower every other weekend and have worn the same coat for a decade.

I'm not against some roughing up of punks but it's just this weird thing where the show can't decide if it's the worst parts of Batman or about the little guy fighting back.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
DD is a story about a class conflict, but the writers seem to have realised that actually going through with it would have been too radical.

See also Arrow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, pretty much. It probably wouldn't stand out as much if they didn't keep drawing attention to it with the big speeches.

I also liked how the entire series built up to the reveal of the real Daredevil suit and when we finally see it it's this goofy-looking tactical realism typical MCU costume that looks completely out of place in the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DD is a show about the thin line between heroism and villainy. It does a better job of exploring why superheroes have to hold themselves to a different moral code than I've seen another show or movie do.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That's what I took away too. Matt's and Fisk's methods aren't drastically different. One guy just has other people do the dirty work for him (mostly) and also will kill a bitch/chop their head off with a car door. The other won't.

I think the class argument can certainly be addressed but I think it'd help if we actually saw them take a court case that isn't connected to Fisk. They mentioned cases and legal work in the show they were doing, such as for Josie's and that plumber, but we didn't actually see them work on those cases.

I also don't think the Japanese gang they had was inherently racist. Urich and Matt even mistook them for Yakuza, which is an actual Japanese gang/mafia. The Hand, or whatever the gently caress Nobo is eventually revealed to be a part of, is just the Marvel equivalent of Yakuza...except with super powers/magic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I also liked how the entire series built up to the reveal of the real Daredevil suit and when we finally see it it's this goofy-looking tactical realism typical MCU costume that looks completely out of place in the show.
Yeah, the final suit was very disappointing. Black wrap 4lyfe.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's everyone's main complaint about the suit? I don't think it's that bad, maybe needs more red to it. What would be good alternatives? Asking because I just don't see better solution that doesn't look goofy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

What's everyone's main complaint about the suit? I don't think it's that bad, maybe needs more red to it. What would be good alternatives? Asking because I just don't see better solution that doesn't look goofy.

I don't think it looks great, especially when compared to the black suit, which looks loving awesome. I guess all the tacticalish stuff on it and maybe the mask doesn't look good.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I thought his nose area looked gigantic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I think the body part is fine but the mask makes his face look like he's constantly squinting. I think it is because they made the eye part a little too small.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ultimately, it feels out of place. Which it is, because every other costume on the show was designed by Stephanie Maslansky, but the final suit design came from corporate.

Here, you can read about it yourself at: http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The corporate red DD suit would look way better with just the black head wrap imo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

The corporate red DD suit would look way better with just the black head wrap imo.

if the mask did away with the eye sockets all together it would vastly improve it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Having a good look at it, yeah the mask does have problems. I feel like it should cover more of his face, at least the nose or something. It's really weird to have the little tip of nose not covered by the mask. I think fix the horns a bit too and it would look better.

Or you could do a headwrap variant with horns, I don't know. I still like it mostly, but I definitely hope they alter a few things for the second season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melvin said it wasn't finished which leaves them open for changes and improvements down the line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It also kinda looks like it'd be hard to move around in it, which is kinda against the entire point of it getting made. Even the stunts look kinda stiffer once he has it on, but that could just be the suit looking weird in the lighting.

It reminds me of all the stupid-rear end costumes they keep giving Captain America, only those movies are shot to hide how restrictive that suit is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Ultimately, it feels out of place. Which it is, because every other costume on the show was designed by Stephanie Maslansky, but the final suit design came from corporate.

Here, you can read about it yourself at: http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

quote:

Fashionista: What about the final red iconic costume that blew up the Internet, via Marvel's tweet?

Maslansky: I have to be honest about this: I did not create that costume. That costume was conceptualized by Marvel, and it was a huge deal. Fabrics were created, pieces were manufactured. The costume was created by utilizing a variety of craftsmen — let’s put it that way — and it really came together over time. What I've been led to understand is it’s typical of the superhero costumes in the Marvel cinematic universe that they are more or less created by comic illustrators themselves, because they're the ones that conceptualize these things. It’s kind of an odd way to work. I have the feeling that if it happens again, then I will get more involved. I told them that I want to. I think that it would be more efficient that way, but that said, I am really happy with the costumes that they came up with.

That last line is what we in the business call "saving your rear end".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm reminded of Bendis' experience working on the first Spider-man movie.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/07/dc-comics-shows-might-not-hit-netflix-and-hulu-for-years/

Time warner making real smart decisions here.

Although I have no issue with it, I usually catch the latest episodes the day after they air.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Whatever happened to the Time Warner on demand app they tried to launch years ago? I remember the big draw at the time was that they landed every James Bond film after Netflix lost them. But yeah, not putting them on the two biggest streaming platforms is stupid if they aren't putting them else where? Maybe a deal with CBS and their app? CBS is moving into exclusive streaming content with the next Star Trek series so they clearly want All Access to be more than an internet on demand back up to their broadcast network. Might as well roll CW content and DC content into it.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

ToastyPotato posted:

Whatever happened to the Time Warner on demand app they tried to launch years ago? I remember the big draw at the time was that they landed every James Bond film after Netflix lost them. But yeah, not putting them on the two biggest streaming platforms is stupid if they aren't putting them else where? Maybe a deal with CBS and their app? CBS is moving into exclusive streaming content with the next Star Trek series so they clearly want All Access to be more than an internet on demand back up to their broadcast network. Might as well roll CW content and DC content into it.

CW runs current episodes on their website where they show up day of air, sometimes earlier than their showtime. From the story it sounds like they're trying to drive up traffic on their own streaming services, so most likely the shows would stay with the platform tied to their broadcast channel (as opposed to them all migrating to CBS's service or something like that). I don't think it's gonna work as well as they want it to though. NBC recently pulled that move with The Blacklist, pulling it from Hulu and streaming it exclusively on their app. As much as I like the show I haven't really wanted to bother with yet another site/app just to watch one show, so now I'm just gonna wait for it on Netflix and they lost a viewer. Granted that's anecdotal, and just one schmuck's opinion, but I doubt I'm the only one who's just gonna say "gently caress it, I'll wait".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scyantific posted:

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/07/dc-comics-shows-might-not-hit-netflix-and-hulu-for-years/

Time warner making real smart decisions here.

Although I have no issue with it, I usually catch the latest episodes the day after they air.

Whenever I hear about something like this my kneejerk reaction is "you just raised another black flag".

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It reminds me of all the stupid-rear end costumes they keep giving Captain America, only those movies are shot to hide how restrictive that suit is.

What a terrible opinion. Captain America's costumes have all been baller outside of the silly one he wears in The Avengers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sure, whatever you say.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Best one was First Avenger, then comes Winter Soldier, then AoU.

The Civil War one is supposedly getting a scaled look to it too, like the comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They really just need to stop giving him a loving mask. Give him a normal military helmet, painted the same blue as his uniform. The moment you start covering the rest of his face you've wasted half the reason for casting Chris Evans in the role in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

They really just need to stop giving him a loving mask. Give him a normal military helmet, painted the same blue as his uniform. The moment you start covering the rest of his face you've wasted half the reason for casting Chris Evans in the role in the first place.

Normal military helmets are pretty drat big.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Which Flash graphic novels are required reading? I'd appreciate recommendations for a fan of The Flash CW show.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Benny the Snake posted:

Which Flash graphic novels are required reading? I'd appreciate recommendations for a fan of The Flash CW show.

The Mark Waid and Geoff Johns runs.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Madkal posted:

The Mark Waid and Geoff Johns runs.

To expand on that, the more recent Geoff Johns run gives the series a lot of its plotlines. Barry travelling back in time to keep his mother from dying, for instance, was a plotline by Johns.

That said, the tone of the current series really is better represented by Mark Waid's Flash books, despite those books being about Wally West instead of Barry Allen. (Barry was dead at the time.) The thing is, though, the wisecracking and often insecure Flash that we're seeing on the air really is much more the way Wally was portrayed, especially by Waid, than Barry ever was. Traditionally, Barry is much more the stoic square-jawed hero type.

Personally, I've always found Waid's Flash run to be the definitive Flash, but tastes vary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Normal military helmets are pretty drat big.

Then a stylized slimmer one. My point was that all this foolishness involving covering the bridge of his nose looks dumb as hell and makes no sense diegetically. He doesn't have a secret identity in the movies.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Mark Waid wrote Flash for most of the '90s, but I'd argue that Johns' first Flash run from the early 2000s is the biggest influence on the show, especially for its treatment of the Rogues. Both Waid and Johns wrote Wally West as Flash during these years, but Waid didn't do much with the Rogues at all in his run. Interestingly, both Waid and Johns wrote Linda Park as Wally's girlfriend, and they later got married.

Johns' Wally Flash run has been collected in three thick hardcover Omnibus editions, and they're starting to reissue it in comparable trade paperbacks, since the original eight trade paperbacks fell out of print several years ago. Waid isn't on the best terms with DC, so most trade paperbacks of his run have fallen out of print.

Johns' more recent Barry Allen Flash run started with Flash: Rebirth, which is easy to find and available in hardcover and trade paperback. It deals a lot with the Reverse-Flash, so that was another influence on the show. That led into another year or so of Barry Flash comics by Johns, with a fantastic artist named Francis Manapul.

After DC rebooted its continuity in late 2011 (an era branded as the "New 52," in which superheroes were generally made younger, with slightly different costume designs and simplified back-stories to bring in new readers), Flash relaunched from a new #1 issue, with Manapul drawing and co-writing as well. These also brought Patty Spivot to the forefront.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Then a stylized slimmer one. My point was that all this foolishness involving covering the bridge of his nose looks dumb as hell and makes no sense diegetically. He doesn't have a secret identity in the movies.

So something like this, but with just regular goggles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UYWK2jeX0

Final JJ trailer. I think Krysten Ritter is going to be really good in this.