Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Power of Pecota posted:

So I play exclusively on keyboard and

That's cool, but I think gamepad might just feel more natural for a lot of people since a lot of people have played games where they move with a d-pad/left stick and shoot with face buttons/right stick. I also have issues with RSI, and if I had played with the keyboard I probably would have needed surgery. So switching to gamepad for people who have trouble with the game is decent advice. Sure, there's a lot of people for whom the keyboard is just fine, but I doubt that's a majority of people.

Anyway, the real people we need to be heaping scorn on are the people who used to play with KB + Mouse in WotL.

I understand the technical limitations of why it didn't, but I think more people would have had more success in BoI and WotL if they were using a gamepad. If I hadn't installed joy2key I probably wouldn't have played more than about 30 minutes, but instead I put in 120 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Regardless of which one is better, I get much less strain on my wrists when playing with pad.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

Every game goons say you need a gamepad to play (Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls) I've beaten just fine with a keyboard. This game plays fine with a keyboard as well.

It comes down to personal preference most times and what you are used to. I prefer the kb for loads of games that people recommend a controller for, like Rebirth, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, etc. But there are a few games that were basically made for a controller, like Sleeping Dogs, that feel better in comparison.

That being said, Dark Souls is the one exception where I feel a controller is absolutely necessary. How the hell did you manage?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Having your shots mapped to an analog stick makes Ludovico Technique so, so much fun. I don't care that it's not even useful half the time—I simply must pick it up every time I see it.

Also it's funny how the more you play this game the way your opinion on items can do a complete 180. I've gone from "ugh, not Bob's loving Brain again" to "holy poo poo, Bob's Brain, this run is saved!"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rollersnake posted:

Having your shots mapped to an analog stick makes Ludovico Technique so, so much fun. I don't care that it's not even useful half the time—I simply must pick it up every time I see it.

Also it's funny how the more you play this game the way your opinion on items can do a complete 180. I've gone from "ugh, not Bob's loving Brain again" to "holy poo poo, Bob's Brain, this run is saved!"

I have 100%'d this game and I am still on "ugh, not Bob's loving Brain again"

Tell me your secrets

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Tell me your secrets

Be careful.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It can totally turn things around if you have low damage output/no bombs. It's not going to singlehandedly win you the game or anything, but it'll get you through some boss fights you otherwise would've choked at, or into secret rooms you otherwise wouldn't be able to access.

Edit: By accessing secret rooms, I mean by braining enemies as they stand next to the bombable wall.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 5, 2014

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Tell me your secrets

If you really want to be safe, wait until it respawns before entering the next room. That way it isn't respawning and firing on accident.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Logan 5 posted:

That being said, Dark Souls is the one exception where I feel a controller is absolutely necessary. How the hell did you manage?

The default controls are absolute garbage and trying to control the camera with the mouse is awakwrd as hell. I discovered however that operating the camera with my numpad works just fine though. So I rebound all the keys related to camera control and attacking over to the numpad. So I'd say its perfectly possible to play Dark Souls well on a keyboard. Playing with the default controls, however, is an exercise in frustration.

ACTUAL BOI QUESTIONS: How the gently caress am I supposed to get meta boy and bandage girl. I know about the infinite charge tricks now but I can't even get a loving monster manual to appear. I've been fully exploring the cathedral and chest in my recent runs since that seems like my best chance at items but gotten nothing. Its getting pretty annoying. I've never even gotten beyond level 2 in either of them trying to conventional way.

In doing this I did discover that blowing up slot machines in the chest always results in an item pedestal. Kind of interesting.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Feel like I'm making progress with my Lost runs. Had the furthest run yet for me, all the way to It Lives. First room was Epic Fetus, and along the way I did get the Stopwatch, making most rooms a complete breeze. Skatole, Dead Cat and Guppy's Head gave me hope for a transformation, which never manifested.

Problem I had with having Stopwatch with Epic Fetus was that I had a tendency of sitting still, since most enemies couldn't catch up to me before I nuked them from on high. This tendency didn't help when it came to Mom fight, as I lost 2 of my lives to Mom's foot because of this. Did make a couple of stupid mistakes along the way, which the Dead Cat helped make up for.

So, I get to It Lives, feel pretty confident, had 3 lives left and lost them all due to those laser eyes at the start of the fight and that developed tendency to sit still when firing. Oh well, I still feel good about my progress so far. A lesson learned I think, as much as I like Epic Fetus, I need to break the habit of sitting still with Stopwatch on the bosses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Only way I can imagine Bob's Brain actually saving a run is if you're doing Beans!!! or Famly Man or something. It loses usefulness for me after about Depths 1, and getting past Depths 1 isn't much of a problem after a point anyways.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 5, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh jesus, when you have Cricket's Body, thrown Bob's Rotten Heads explode into 4 Bob's Rotten Headses that then ricochet all over the goddamn place :gonk:

edit: drat, man, Cancer is crazy when you already have a pretty high firerate.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 5, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

The default controls are absolute garbage and trying to control the camera with the mouse is awakwrd as hell. I discovered however that operating the camera with my numpad works just fine though. So I rebound all the keys related to camera control and attacking over to the numpad. So I'd say its perfectly possible to play Dark Souls well on a keyboard. Playing with the default controls, however, is an exercise in frustration.

ACTUAL BOI QUESTIONS: How the gently caress am I supposed to get meta boy and bandage girl. I know about the infinite charge tricks now but I can't even get a loving monster manual to appear. I've been fully exploring the cathedral and chest in my recent runs since that seems like my best chance at items but gotten nothing. Its getting pretty annoying. I've never even gotten beyond level 2 in either of them trying to conventional way.

In doing this I did discover that blowing up slot machines in the chest always results in an item pedestal. Kind of interesting.

That still sounds like a pain in the rear end to me, but if it worked for you then kudos dude.

It took many runs before I was able to find the Monster Manual with the right set up in the Chest. But if you have infinite rerolls you are rerolling those first 4 chests yes? The item pool is big but unless you've already seen it in your run it has to show up sometime. It helps to have Guppy's Tail in the Chest too, since that will drop far more chests of any type, which are automatically item pedestals (except for the rare red chest that isnt).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Every game goons say you need a gamepad to play (Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls) I've beaten just fine with a keyboard. This game plays fine with a keyboard as well.

A controller is best for meat boy just to prevent hand cramps.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

Tell me your secrets

Pyromaniac + Bob's Brain = bathe the world and yourself in fire

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Epic Fetus on floor one as The Lost, like 10 keys, 30 coins, AND a Store Credit which got me a free Map ... then floor two I get killed walking into a room that had bricks surrounded by like 8 spike blocks, because my keyboard (or just the game in general, thinking it is mainly my keyboard) made me stop after moving like 3 pixels down. Such a promising run cut short due to lovely keyboard :(

Just got a Holy Mantle floor 1 though, so hopefully this one goes better!

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Your best bet with the Lost is to restart until you get 9 lives in the first adjacent curse room. Even that's not a guarantee but I consistently got the furthest with that. It can take anywhere from 1 - 10 minutes of restarting maybe before finding it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

There must be something wrong with me, I just started the second save file.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

FateFree posted:

Your best bet with the Lost is to restart until you get 9 lives in the first adjacent curse room. Even that's not a guarantee but I consistently got the furthest with that. It can take anywhere from 1 - 10 minutes of restarting maybe before finding it.

I am doing this on the Vita before the patches hit just so I can do Invincible Lost.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Something weird happened. I was playing the game and had to stop to take a call for work, when I picked up the controller and hit A to unpause it, it was on Exit Game instead of resume (presumably the stick got hit or whatever) and I got quit out of the game I was playing. Then the game stopped responding and I had to kill the process.

Now whenever I start, the window comes up and then I get this and it closes out:

I've tried rebooting, verifying the game cache, and uninstalling and reinstalling it but it keeps popping up. Googling doesn't seem to be much help. Anyone have any clues on how to fix this?

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I got Platinum God 4-5 times in WoTL, and will probably do the same in this once I am finished (On both PC, and Vita). There is nothing wrong with you, there is something wrong with everyone else that isn't doing this.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
Double Mega Fatty room does me in :( I am definitely thinking it is my keyboard that is going bad now, since stopping mid run is becoming more and more common. Doesn't happen in any other games though (or at least isn't as noticeable).

The Lost is such a tough character, and I am glad there is finally a "Ram-your-dick-repeatedly-into-a-brick-wall" difficulty hardcore mode now.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

AnonSpore posted:

There is nothing wrong with being a masochist, we dont kinkshame here :)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I actually do wonder if everyone who thinks The Haunt is super difficult is using a keyboard. The part with the two mini-haunts is tricky, but really not that bad as long as you can lead them around the room and not corner yourself. Not being able to move as fluidly as you can with an analog stick might add additional challenge there.

As far as Cellar bosses go, I have more trouble with Widow and holy poo poo Blighted Ovum—I figure the only reason that's not the thread's most hated early boss is that he seems to show up really infrequently.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rollersnake posted:

As far as Cellar bosses go, I have more trouble with Widow and holy poo poo Blighted Ovum—I figure the only reason that's not the thread's most hated early boss is that he seems to show up really infrequently.

I haven't had trouble with Widow ever since someone in this thread pointed out that if you're standing at her side and she jumps at you, she goes straight over your head. It's not even hard, as long as you're within half a widow-length of her you'll be fine.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SuicideSnowman posted:

If you really want to be safe, wait until it respawns before entering the next room. That way it isn't respawning and firing on accident.

Having to wait after every room plus having to monitor when you have to stop shooting because you'll blow yourself up is pretty "Ugh, Bob's Brain"

Other acceptable ughs
- Butter Bean (beats out Crack the Sky for worst spacebar item imo)
- Mini Mush
- Guillotine
- Mystery Sack (unless someone knows something I don't)
- Either of Libra/Soy Milk without the other one
- Leo/Thunder Thighs past the Depths
- BBF unless you've got complete poo poo damage or are blindfolded
- Razor Blade (on anyone but Eve/Samson)

along with acceptable trinket ughs
- The Tick
- Hook Worm

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but Cursed Eye/Ipecac are cool and don't belong on the list.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Welp, got Mind and Soul done, just gotta get D100, the Heart and Body! :suicide:

It took Holy Mantle, Gnawed Leaf and the autoturret familiar for this one. Not looking forward to doing this again.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

FateFree posted:

I got 9 Lives in a Curse room, and all that happened was I died walking out of the door, and kept respawning in the Curse room.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Hook Worm is great with Tiny Planet :v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Ariong posted:

I haven't had trouble with Widow ever since someone in this thread pointed out that if you're standing at her side and she jumps at you, she goes straight over your head. It's not even hard, as long as you're within half a widow-length of her you'll be fine.

It's the summoned spiders that give me trouble during the Widow fight. Honestly, Widow's not that bad either, but if I had to bet on being able to get through a boss fight unscathed, I'd go with The Haunt over Widow.

And Blighted Ovum can go gently caress itself.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Unless you're Maggy and maybe even if you are you just have to run along the perimeter of the room in a big circle shooting tears back at the ovum while the ghost wobbles around in the middle of the room and shoots brimstone behind you when you go up or down.

You don't catch up to the trail, the big one never gets near you, the little one's useless. Blighted Ovum's cake.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

omeg posted:

Hook Worm is great with Tiny Planet :v:

Hook Worm is also decent with Coal, since it means longer air time resulting in more damage.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The worm trinkets (except wub wub, flat and whip worm) are great with Brimstone, since they give it a wider area of effect. Hook worm gives you a square wave beam, wiggle worm gives you a sine wave beam. I've yet to see if round worm gives you a corkscrew beam.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In the same vein as Libra + Soy Milk, two mediocre items that go insane together are Midas Touch + Unicorn Stump (I also got Guppy + Poison Touch + Halo of Flies + Cube of Meat). I'm getting the full hard clears on all characters, and as Eve I just cleared Depths 2 without pressing the fire button.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
If you pick up the ball and chain watch out because it may betray you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzY4cL0HTHc

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Finally beat Mega Satan, or got a run that I actually even wanted to fight him. Thank God for angel rooms and double shot nerd glasses.

Also fireball and cider.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I actually don't understand how anyone has a problem with blighted ovum. I handle it exactly the same as Gemini- long circles around the room while firing behind me at the chasing boss. The only difference is making sure you are never stationary when horizontal to the little spirit guy.

I think I've been hit more by Pif in my BoI career than blighted ovum.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Is there a way to force the champion boss rush? I'm going for Lost unlocks and I'd rather not have to spend the entire fight dodging the Carrion Queen's red poops.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I finally beat Mega Satan tonight! Been grinding out Judas runs the last couple nights for it. Had a couple runs where I made it there and then died, many runs where I gave up halfway through because I was getting crap drops/no angel rooms, and a couple where I had a great run going and then somehow managed to screw up in the cathedral. The final run I ended up with shielded tears, polythemus, number one, coal, and tooth shot (obviously among some others). I was able to just sit back and have a nice relaxing fight, letting the shielded tears protect me from the bullet hell sequences.

I think I'm ready for a break from BoI for a while :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

senae posted:

Eve.png

I would really like an eve game where I actually get some spirit hearts :(

I really would like to know what the %s are for the contents of a Devil room after it pops. I have had runs with Eve like this where I manage to get 3 Devil rooms in a row and they all only had red chests.